• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Bills offense - packaged plays

After Buffalo's first preseason game, Chris Brown of smartfootball.com (not the official Bills writer Chris Brown) tweeted "Bills were doing some interesting stuff below the surface. More to come on it soon."

Here is the article he wrote:

"Combination" or "packaged" plays have been sweeping across college and high school football over recent years, enough that NFL coaches are clearly taking notice. The Bears, Panthers, Bills, Eagles, and Chiefs each ran a number of them in their exhibition games, combining running and passing concepts — meaning the offensive line typically blocked a run play while receivers ran pass routes or screens, leaving the quarterback to decide whether to hand off or throw it out wide — often at a no-huddle pace.
    He goes on to talk about how the passes are short and designed to get the ball to playmakers in space. Buffalo definitely seemed to move towards getting more playmakers on both offense and defense in the draft.

He also talks about a certain play that Buffalo ran against Indy and calls it "one of the niftiest plays I've seen." Says that even though these plays require QB reads, that it's not that bad for rookies because both Manuel and Tuel ran these plays a number of times and each time read them correctly.

Finally, he calls Marrone and Hackett "
    two of the smartest football guys you'll ever meet."

Pretty interesting stuff.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills offense - packaged plays

when Spiller is back there , just keep handing it off.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Oaf
      Do you read what you write?
      • Jun 2007

I thought I saw WR routes on Manuel's 4yd scramble during the 2min drill. Some of the Eagles plays I saw look very cool.

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

I love articles like this. Really well done and interesting. I'm really excited to see what our offense can do this year and how much our young guys can grow.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

I know there are no results yet to prove whether our new coaches know what they are doing,but it's refreshing to at least see that the team is trying to evolve with the game instead of sticking with old school football when we had Jauron and Chan.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
            I know there are no results yet to prove whether our new coaches know what they are doing,but it's refreshing to at least see that the team is trying to evolve with the game instead of sticking with old school football when we had Jauron and Chan.
            Chan was a lot of things, but "old school" wasn't one of them. If he had been old school enough to just line up with a fullback and feed CJ, he might still be here.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              Chan was a lot of things, but "old school" wasn't one of them. If he had been old school enough to just line up with a fullback and feed CJ, he might still be here.
              It is old school to not trust Rookies.

That was Chan's biggest fault IMO. He would trust a mediocre Vet over a Rookie with potential to be great.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                It is old school to not trust Rookies.

That was Chan's biggest fault IMO. He would trust a mediocre Vet over a Rookie with potential to be great.
                Spiller was a 3rd year player. Chan's fault was trying to put the ball in Fitz' hand because it made Gailey look smart.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Spiller was a 3rd year player. Chan's fault was trying to put the ball in Fitz' hand because it made Gailey look smart.
                  Chan barely let CJ Sniff the ball his Rookie year & even in his 2nd & 3rd year he did not give him enough touches.

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

Chan barely let CJ Sniff the ball his Rookie year & even in his 2nd & 3rd year he did not give him enough touches.

Spiller had 207 rushing attempts last season and only 107 in his 2nd year, averaging over 5 yards a carry, what a waste of talent. Gailey was clueless.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Spiller didn't deserve the touches in his rookie year and in 2011 Jackson was tearing the league in half until he got hurt. It was in 2012 where Spiller was being underused, and it wasn't because of Jackson. Gailey was giving those touches to Fitz.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Spiller didn't deserve the touches in his rookie year and in 2011 Jackson was tearing the league in half until he got hurt. It was in 2012 where Spiller was being underused, and it wasn't because of Jackson. Gailey was giving those touches to Fitz.
                        Spiller didn't deserve ANY touches his Rookie year SERIOUSLY?

And last year Choice deserved the touches in the Red Zone over Spiller as well I suppose. LOL.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Spiller didn't deserve ANY touches his Rookie year SERIOUSLY?
                          Who said he didn't deserve "any"? I certainly didn't. Spiller was outplayed in his rookie year by Lynch and Jackson, so they got the ball more. And rightly so.

And last year Choice deserved the touches in the Red Zone over Spiller as well I suppose. LOL.
                          Read the post before you respond. How many times do I have to say Spiller was being underused in 2012 before you get it that I think Spiller was being underused in 2012?

Spiller was being underused in 2012.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Who said he didn't deserve "any"? I certainly didn't. Spiller was outplayed in his rookie year by Lynch and Jackson, so they got the ball more. And rightly so.

Read the post before you respond. How many times do I have to say Spiller was being underused in 2012 before you get it that I think Spiller was being underused in 2012?

Spiller was being underused in 2012.
                            You said Chan was giving the Ball to Fitz instead of CJ which is BS.

Chan took CJ out of the game & Fitz handed the ball off to Choice

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                              • Sep 2012

You said Chan was giving the Ball to Fitz instead of CJ which is BS.

Chan took CJ out of the game & Fitz handed the ball off to Choice
                              Choice had less then 50 carries the entire season and nearly half of them came in the Cleveland game when Spiller was hurt.

Meanwhile, the Bills were #1 in empty backfield sets.

Do the math.

Comment

Working...
                              X