X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Leslie Frazier Doesn't like gameplanning

The Minnesota Vikings weren't prepared for what the defense they faced Friday night.

Teams usually don't game-plan for preseason exhibitions or constantly call blitzes. Vikings coach Leslie Frazier didn't sound too appreciative for what the Buffalo Bills unleashed defensively.

"Everybody has they way of approaching the preseason, and that's their choice," Frazier said after the Bills beat the Vikings, 20-16, in Ralph Wilson Stadium. "We'll keep moving forward.

"They did some good things. It's preseason. They have the option to do whatever they want to do."

The Bills blitzed throughout the game. They recorded four sacks, with defensive end Jerry Hughes tallying a pair. Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus and linebacker Marcus Dowtin had one apiece. The Bills also had five quarterback hits and six tackles for losses.

"We didn't spend a lot of time preparing for Buffalo," Frazier said. "We worked a lot on our team. We took a different approach. We were really concentrating on our team and what we need to be able to do.

Yeah, I know. Most teams usually don't blitz much in the preseason. Part of that is the unwritten rule on game planning...and each team being given the opportunity to work on certain areas of the game, and partly not to reveal too much of your D.

I was thinking about that last night..."save it for the regular season".

But then...this is stuff the Bills themselves need to work on.

We'll see how it plays out.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Leslie Frazier Doesn't like gameplanning

These were always the excuses Bills fans needed to make during the preseason. I don't mind being on the other end, especially if it carries over into the regular season.

I guess I'd ask - if you're working on your team, why aren't you preparing them to be able to handle blitzes? That seems like a significant part of football.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• mayotm
      • Jul 2003

I have no problem with the Bills blitzing. Especially since they are installing a new defense. Also, I'm not at all worried that they are revealing everything that they have. Pettine has stated that he doesn't believe in just running a vanilla defense during the pre-season.
      Last edited by mayotm; 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

We aren't good enough to not try now and just hope it works when it counts. Build that muscle memory.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
          • Jan 2010

I don't think the Bills "gameplanned" Pettine said we are an aggressive defense we play what we will be playing in the season during the preseason. He also said that the calls were less in a preseason game. Sounds like Larry is just getting the excuses ready.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Anything we can do to get guys used to the idea that winning is expected is fine by me.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

I don't fault the Bills for practicing how they want to play. I just hope this defensive success isn't an illusion. It's sure fun to see pass rushers win 1v1 matchups though.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

I remember KC cleaned our clocks back in the 90's in a preseason by game planning the game. It pissed the Bills off and when it came to the regular season...

we killed them.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

the bills didn't gameplan either, so im not sure what frazier is talking about...wtf

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

Sounds like Frazier is just trying to save his own ass. Our guys needed practice in these new packages in a live setting, get over it.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

the guy who did the naked gun movies?
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Screw Frazier. Whether we specifically game planned, or just threw a bunch of fast, physical blitzes at them, we're a young team trying to get better. We've had 13 years of a crappy, losing culture that we're trying to turn around.

How he prepares is his business.The Bills are trying to overcome many, many years of futility, so we're preparing more intensely. Good for Marrone and Company.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Tough ****. Welcome to culture change.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

i think when they talk about not blitzing in preseason it refers to the non-starting units. there no way that the scrubs are going to be prepared to handle the complex adjustments an offense has to make to handle blitzers so blitz sacks are kinda cheap at that point

but as has been said, this is a new defense for the bills and is going to be their core approach so they do need to play some of it in order to prepare for the season and find out who can play that style in this defense

the bills just need to be careful bc if they take that too far youll start to see opposing teams blitz a lot in preseason just to send a message. the offensive coordinators dont like it bc it hinders their evaluation of the scrubs on their unit and puts their backup qbs at undue risk. i cant remember the exact situation but i recall that happening years ago when one team wouldnt stop blitzing the other team started doing it and the message was sent
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

When you blitz on 9/12 plays, I think it's safe to say your base defence has 5 rushers. The Bills played their base.

Comment

Working...
                              X