PDA

View Full Version : if i had one concern...

NOT THE DUDE...
08-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I really hope we throw it more vertical, and more on 1st down in general. but because we are running it so much, maybe Hackett and marrone want to toughen up the team and work on the power running game. has anyone in training camp seen a different style? are they better throwing it in practice, and average running? other than that, I think we have a decent shot to win opening day. crazy stuff always happens during the 1st week, but the pats are a great team. im guessing 27-17 pats on a late td to pull away

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope they don't hold ej back opening day, and just throw it all over the place

NOT THE DUDE...
08-18-2013, 12:09 PM
cam newton might have lost his 1st game, but they played to win, not so conservative where you begin to play not to lose... they need to be aggressive vs the pats, not just on d but on o too. they have the talent to cause serious problems for any secondary

OpIv37
08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
EJ is not gonna start opening day after missing the last two weeks of camp and preseason.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
EJ is not gonna start opening day after missing the last two weeks of camp and preseason.

sure

NOT THE DUDE...
08-18-2013, 12:14 PM
kolb is an decent backup. but he has seriously looked like hammered dog ****. and no, im not saying ej manuel is the next dan marino, although solid. but dude, kolb looks worse than fitz right now....

OpIv37
08-18-2013, 12:14 PM
But I do agree the team needs to go vertical more. If they can't stretch the field, the D will just stack the box to take away the run and quick slants.

Skooby
08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Marrone said he's going to field the best team, that'd be EJ at QB.

GreedoII
08-18-2013, 12:15 PM
EJ is starting. They already know it. This QB battle is over. Week 1 starter. it's pretty obvious

NOT THE DUDE...
08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
But I do agree the team needs to go vertical more. If they can't stretch the field, the D will just stack the box to take away the run and quick slants.

if it was your guess, do you think they are just working on their run blocking? it seems that way

OpIv37
08-18-2013, 12:20 PM
if it was your guess, do you think they are just working on their run blocking? it seems that way

Well the Colts game was the first start for Manuel. The Vikings game had only rookies at WR because both Stevie and Graham were hurt. I think the coaches were just trying to keep it as simple as possible for all the rookies.

feldspar
08-18-2013, 12:41 PM

I still think he can start opening day, depending on how much he's able to practice that week...if he's named the starter and is healthy, you gotta play him as soon as possible. Unless Kolb plays lights out during this time, I think EJ is the obvious starter. What does the starter do? That's right, he starts. I don't see the value of carrying the QB competition into the regular season, if that can be helped at all. Gotta name a starter and stick with him, not play musical chairs at the most important position, if you can.

What's the difference if he sits out week 1 and week 2? He's still going in his first game in the same way...after missing time. Nothing compares to a real game, anyway.

OpIv37
08-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Well we know EJ is out for the last preseason game on Aug 29. I'm assuming that means he won't be practicing, although that's not necessarily true. The first real game is Sept 8.

If he comes back to practice on the 30th, he will still have 8 days to practice before the game. In that situation, I guess Marrone could still play him. It's going to come down to how well Kolb plays in the rest of preseason and how much practice time EJ can get in.

For the record, I don't think Kolb's play will change things. I expect to see a lot more of what we saw against the Vikings: Fitz 2.0.

SquishDaFish
08-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I think when EJ is in there its going to be just like the Griffen situation. Gradually take the training wheels off and let him go deep as it goes.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-19-2013, 11:14 AM
what if ej manuel is like marino in 83? a real nice talent at qb that was picked high, but a bit of an afterthough in the middle to late 1st rd....? dang!

justasportsfan
08-19-2013, 11:41 AM

I agree. It's Tuel's job to lose !

OpIv37
08-19-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree. It's Tuel's job to lose !

If EJ's not ready to go, I could see Tuel beating out Kolb for the starting role. It's unlikely but not impossible given how bad Kolb has looked so far.