X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Is EJ Manuel Really Hurt?

I had a gut feeling to start, and this article only confirms it.

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-Manuel-has-his-procedure/17086032

"Our staff checked him out with an MRI, saw something and went through a minor procedure. I talked to EJ and asked him what play it was. He wasn’t sure. He thought it was the sixth play of his first drive. I went back again and looked at it, tried to see something and it was hard to tell. He didn’t even know if that was the play that he was hurt on. That’s what happens.”

--------------------------------------- Full article linked above.

Yes, that is what happens when your rookie quarterback shows the head coach enough to say, "you win."

Even Paul Hamilton smells something with a title like that.

"Manuel Has His Procedure"

Neither the coach nor the player know what play he got hurt on.

Uh, Okay.

If you read between the voluminous lines of coach speak in the article above, Marrrone has already made up his mind just like the rest of us.

The starting QB competition is over and everybody knows it.

All that matters now is keeping the team healthy until week 1, and finding out who the Bills backup quarterback will be.

Manuel had a, 'procedure,' done on his knee. Testing one's knee reflex by hitting it with a rubber mallet can be defined as a, "procedure."

Camp is basically over and there's one, "important," preseason game left that Manuel will be missing out on.

I don't think he's missing out on anything. Marrone has seen enough, and knows better in my humble Bills opinion.

The 3rd preseason doesn't mean squat, it's a preseason game dress rehearsal for the wedding that never goes according to plan anyways, so why risk everything for nothing? The 4th preseason game is a bigger waste of time than the Pro Bowl.

It's unfortunate, (not really) but this is the only way Marrone can keep the cameras off of EJ until September 8th.

21 days of nothing to study for Bill Belichick besides a handful of drives from the first 2 preseason games that didn't show too much, and tape from Florida State games.

NFL talking heads love to call the 3rd preseason game, "The Dress Rehearsal," game. Some teams actually game plan, leave their starters in to the third or fourth quarter (Belichick did that with Brady last year) and run plays as they would in a regular season game. Why?

I really don't understand the philosophy behind leaving your starters in for most of the game in a preseason situation. Why show your cards and risk injury too if you are already confident in your team's ability to win?

Manuel, "injured?"

Advantage Bills.

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Is EJ Manuel Really Hurt?

Playing Possum?

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

I don't want to criticize your thinking, since we're all entitled to our opinions... but why would you rest your rookie signal caller and deprive him of crucial practice and snaps in a game situation? It doesn't matter what Belichek sees on tape, it shouldn't at least; if you want your team to be successful you want to have a young quarterback who is ready for the season and when the game starts hitting harder.

If he's injured and had to have fluid drained or something like that, then yes, rest him. If he's faking it (if I'm reading your implication correctly) doesn't that show a sign of weakness or laziness? If this truly is an open competition then you let both guys go out and prove they can do it for more than 3 quarters of football.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

GR55 sucks, and so does Hamilton.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

This is what the local radio station is up to nowadays?
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

I'm having a hard time buying this one... he needs reps. He's a rookie. Pretty illogical to shut him down IMO.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
              • Sep 2003

If the theory of "resting him" was true and not do to injury then Marrone will have a very short nfl career !!! He is a rookie that needs reps! Lmfao!!!!

Comment

• bdutton
                • Jul 2013

I think it was the sack play. When he got back up he came up a little gingerly.

BTW... its the same injury that Matt Schaub had and was able to get the procedure done and not miss a game.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

I don't get the impression that Paul Hamilton is trying to read between the lines. His article contains lots of direct quotes from Marrone, basically letting Marrone say what he wanted to about it
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• elltrain22
                    • Sep 2003

I think he did hurt his knee a bit that caused fluid buildup that needed to be drained. That would reveal soreness & rest for about a week, especially for prime athletes. I think the Bills see that this is there guy, and playing next weeks preseason game might even be premature if it was the regular season, but since its preseason, it benefits the Bills and Manuel to be cautious. Anything beyond that is just silly to even play. Everyone knows the last preseason game is the time for bubble guys to play.

In short, Manuel's injury is one that, if it were the reg season, he'd probably be back the following week, but since its preseason, and since this guy is our rookie franchise qb, we must play it safe. Just my opinion...
                    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                      I don't want to criticize your thinking, since we're all entitled to our opinions... but why would you rest your rookie signal caller and deprive him of crucial practice and snaps in a game situation? It doesn't matter what Belichek sees on tape, it shouldn't at least; if you want your team to be successful you want to have a young quarterback who is ready for the season and when the game starts hitting harder.

If he's injured and had to have fluid drained or something like that, then yes, rest him. If he's faking it (if I'm reading your implication correctly) doesn't that show a sign of weakness or laziness? If this truly is an open competition then you let both guys go out and prove they can do it for more than 3 quarters of football.
                      Whether the injury is real or not, Manuel is not going to be deprived of snaps in practice after the team leaves SJF and heads back to the Ralph. Those practices are closed to the media and the public, and nobody will know if EJ is healthy or not.

I'm over the, "he needs reps," take on things. He's already proven what he can do with more reps, and he won the starting job.

Manuel is starting week 1. To say that these next two weeks are somehow crucial to his development is more than a stretch compared to what I am suggesting.

He won the QB battle, hands down and now the coach wants to find out who the #2 quarterback is with the remainder of preseason, while protecting and resting Manuel's arm at the same time.

Marrone already knows what he's got, he's not blind. Fans aren't blind either. Manuel is the better quarterback and it's obvious by now.

So why bother starting EJ against the Skins and show the Patriots what the Bills intend on doing with their dress rehearsal?

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

Anyone has to be mentally ill if you think the Bills are faking EJ's injury. Seriously, get a ****ing life. Stupid is a stupid does.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                          I don't get the impression that Paul Hamilton is trying to read between the lines. His article contains lots of direct quotes from Marrone, basically letting Marrone say what he wanted to about it
                          When Paul Hamilton wrote, "With the way Manuel and Kevin Kolb have played you have to wonder if Marrone had made a decision on who the season starter would be before he found out the rookie was hurt," I started to read between those lines.

When I read the quote from Marrone saying, "Where were you going with the third preseason game?’ The reason why is because that’s a decision I didn’t have to make. It was made for me before that,” I read between those lines too.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                            Anyone has to be mentally ill if you think the Bills are faking EJ's injury. Seriously, get a ****ing life. Stupid is a stupid does.
                            Of course NFL teams never fake injuries. NFL coaches never lie, they always tell the truth to the media no matter what, just ask Bill Belichick. NFL teams would never send false smoke signals during the preseason, and they would never rest their rookie QB for the remainder of preseason just to prevent their opening opponent from seeing the new Bills offense on tape.

Oh NEVER!

Get off your high horse.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                              Playing Possum?

Comment

Working...
                              X