PDA

View Full Version : Bradham....charged with weed possesion

Wittman21
08-19-2013, 03:58 PM
BREAKING NEWS: #Buffalo (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Buffalo&src=hash) #Bills (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills&src=hash) LB Nigel Bradham charged with marijuana possession in Town of Tonawanda early Sat. http://bit.ly/19EJBbU (http://t.co/5YIRc9540y)

The King
08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Illegal tint. That's code for you shouldn't be out driving at 2:00AM.

Skooby
08-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh man, we might cut a second string guy.

DraftBoy
08-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Marrone's first real test in terms of discipline.

Meathead
08-19-2013, 04:42 PM
god i hope duhrick wasnt in the car with him

ICRockets
08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
This is news? Legalize it already!

OpIv37
08-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Idiot.

Goodell will make him sit at least one game, if not 4.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Colorado DID legalize it, and Von Miller's likely to get smacked anyway.

sam5767
08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
So Goddell may take action, yet that Dennard clown on the pats got arrested, sentenced and arrested again for violating probation and no action taken yet on him? WTF?.

Jaybird
08-19-2013, 05:51 PM
the team should suspend him one game.... set the tone

Buffalogic
08-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Colorado DID legalize it, and Von Miller's likely to get smacked anyway.Von Miller popped the molly and started sweatin' wooooo. Not just for weed.

Ed
08-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Well I guess the good news is he didn't get a DUI and the amount was too small to arrest him. I would guess he has a one game suspension in his future. I don't really see the Bills doing anything. They'll probably just let the league discipline him.

JediMindPowers
08-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Illegal tint. That's code for you shouldn't be out driving at 2:00AM.

Thats code for you shouldn't be somewhat wealthy, black and driving a nice car out at 2am.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Oh man, we might cut a second string guy.

ummm, hes a starter....

NOT THE DUDE...
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Idiot.

Goodell will make him sit at least one game, if not 4.

why? what exactly did he do wrong?

Buffalo Thriller
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't get this country's stigma against marijuana.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-19-2013, 07:20 PM
the court process will take a few months and im not sure he can even get suspended for this. we don't even know if it was his. at the most he will get a fine from the nfl maybe

NOT THE DUDE...
08-19-2013, 07:24 PM

it's not so much the pot, but more so what is symbolizes. a person who sees the point in life is to enjoy oneself, take it easy, and avoid as much unnecessary work as possible. for some odd reason, ( mainly propaganda going back to the 30s), people associate it with laziness and not being productive. I literally don't get it at all. I know this, many other drug industries would suffer big time if it was totally legal

OpIv37
08-19-2013, 07:30 PM

He broke the law.

It's a stupid law, but people can't just go around breaking whatever laws they don't like. And NFL players definitely can't do it because Goodell will nail people for minor offenses. He seems to have an obsession with personal behavior with all his suspensions and the "fan code of conduct" and the tailgating crackdowns.

But I digress.... It's not about what you think he did or didn't do wrong. It's about what the law and the league think he did wrong. You seem to lack understanding of the fact that the real world doesn't function the same way as the ideals you have in your head.

OpIv37
08-19-2013, 07:32 PM

Especially since half the people lobbying against it did blow in the 80's and spent the 90's all loopy on Valium.

BillsFever21
08-19-2013, 07:32 PM

What did he do wrong? He was in possession of an illegal controlled substance by United States and the NFL's policies. What we think of the severity of the drug itself means nothing in this case. It's classified as a Schedule A narcotic whether it should be or not under federal law and it's also against the NFL policy.

If this was a player on the Dolphins, Jets, Patriots or other teams I'm sure you wouldn't be saying it. Many people here were making a big deal over Dennard's DUI but since this is a Bills player charged with marijuana then he didn't do anything wrong.

Whether he gets suspended will depend on the police and NFL investigations. He hasn't failed any tests that we know of so he might not get suspended. If he did it may only be for a game. To say that he didn't do anything wrong under the NFL's policy isn't being factual.

Meathead
08-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Von Miller popped the molly and started sweatin' wooooo

well then lock him up and throw away the key

X-Era
08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Ugh... Stupid *******.

Just keep your friggin nose clean.

Wonder if he gets released. That's all we need, a new hole at LB.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
What did he do wrong? He was in possession of an illegal controlled substance by United States and the NFL's policies. What we think of the severity of the drug itself means nothing in this case. It's classified as a Schedule A narcotic whether it should be or not under federal law and it's also against the NFL policy.

If this was a player on the Dolphins, Jets, Patriots or other teams I'm sure you wouldn't be saying it. Many people here were making a big deal over Dennard's DUI but since this is a Bills player charged with marijuana then he didn't do anything wrong.

Whether he gets suspended will depend on the police and NFL investigations. He hasn't failed any tests that we know of so he might not get suspended. If he did it may only be for a game. To say that he didn't do anything wrong under the NFL's policy isn't being factual.

no, im not hypocritical on this. in fact, the ending the drug war is a very serious heated issue for me. I don't care if it was tom brady.... as far as wrong, im saying use an ethical argument for what he exactly did wrong

- - - Updated - - -

the focus should be on these ****ed up laws, not a productive member of society like nigel

gebobs
08-19-2013, 07:52 PM

What the NFL doles out here might be emblematic of the national hysteria surrounding pot. The NFL hates drugs. Weed is a drug and thus deserving of the most severe penalty it can dish out.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb.

BillsFever21
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
no, im not hypocritical on this. in fact, the ending the drug war is a very serious heated issue for me. I don't care if it was tom brady.... as far as wrong, im saying use an ethical argument for what he exactly did wrong

- - - Updated - - -

the focus should be on these ****ed up laws, not a productive member of society like nigel

I could care less if he had pot on him either but the NFL and the USA doesn't see it that way. If you want to talk about the ethics of it then hat's a total different subject altogether for the Spin Zone.

As far as the current laws and NFL policy goes he messed up. Goodell isn't going to take the above reasoning into effect when it comes time for possible punishment. If that was the case then Von Miller wouldn't be facing suspension or they would take it off the list of banned substances altogether.

As long as that's the NFL policy he needs to live by then he screwed up. There isn't any other way around it and it doesn't matter what one thinks personally about the issue. He knows it's against NFL policy and yet he was in possession of it and obviously using it. Since that's the case he was being stupid and screwed up.

X-Era
08-19-2013, 07:56 PM
I could care less if he had pot on him either but the NFL and the USA doesn't see it that way. If you want to talk about the ethics of it then hat's a total different subject altogether for the Spin Zone.

As far as the current laws and NFL policy goes he messed up. Goodell isn't going to take the above reasoning into effect when it comes time for possible punishment. If that was the case then Von Miller wouldn't be facing suspension or they would take it off the list of banned substances altogether.

As long as that's the NFL policy he needs to live by then he screwed up. There isn't any other way around it and it doesn't matter what one thinks personally about the issue. He knows it's against NFL policy and yet he was in possession of it and obviously using it. Since that's the case he was being stupid and screwed up.
He has a well known set of expectations for his job. He's a stupid ass if he risks a lucrative and highly selective career.

I will never understand risking an NFL career with stupid **** like this.

K-Gun
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
The worst part about this - wtf was bradham doing rolling around tonawanda on a sat night?

but seriously, its really ****ing stupid for any nfl player to smoke pot for 2 reasons - they know the consequences and have so much to lose in comparison with the little enjoyment you get from smoking weed. and it can make their mental and physical reaction slower.

BillsFever21
08-19-2013, 08:50 PM
He has a well known set of expectations for his job. He's a stupid ass if he risks a lucrative and highly selective career.

I will never understand risking an NFL career with stupid **** like this.

I don't risk it for just your everyday average job with benefits let alone a job where you can make millions a year. They always think they won't get caught.

ServoBillieves
08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't risk it for just your everyday average job with benefits let alone a job where you can make millions a year. They always think they won't get caught.

Agreed. They think that they can either get star credibility (a la Kenny Powers smuggling illegals), pay off the officer (a la Shawne Merriman on the border... oh wait...) or have it not get to the league head office.

BillsFever21
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
If anything the NFL and other sports players are fortunate compared to the rest of the real world. In the real world if you fail a urine test(or even caught with illegal drugs) then you lose your job. Very few give you a second chance let alone multiple chances like athletes have. You don't just get a warning your first time, suspended for a month your second time, etc. You are out of a job and that follows you to any other job you try and get.

Hell at my job even if I got a DUI I would lose my job and my individual position doesn't even have anything to do with driving but the company does. You are required to have a license just in case they ever need you to drive a company vehicle.

MTBillsFan
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Colorado DID legalize it, and Von Miller's likely to get smacked anyway.

League policy vs state law very interesting debate. I'm surprised the Denver nuggets weren't able to sign every free agent available since the NBA doesn't drug test.:idea:

Electrici
08-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Don't know how much it was, but it'll probably just get dismissed in court. Not sure what the NFL will do, if anything. Curious about Marrone's stance though.

Harmless, but not good judgment on Bradham's part... it's too bad.

better days
08-19-2013, 11:21 PM

I pretty much agree, but unless Bradham was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, I think it should be a much lesser offence.

I am in the Camp that thinks marijuana should be legal. It is legal to transport alcohol & it should be legal to transport grass as well IMO.

ICRockets
08-20-2013, 02:14 AM

Pretty sure you're wrong on that. Miller also skipped a court hearing didn't he? Not to mention he FAILED A LEAGUE DRUG TEST, which as far as we know Bradham has not done.

sam5767
08-20-2013, 04:14 AM

sam5767
08-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Dennard's DUI was while he was on probation....probation for punching a cop, for which he was convicted of and sentenced to 30 days (which he doesn't have to serve until March..smh). I think that is the point many have been trying to make with Dennard, two arrests, one for assaulting a cop, and Goddell hasn't done anything. Is it only drug offenses that get punished?

To me, punching a cop is much worse than getting caught with a little weed....but if Goddell is going to punish, he needs to be consistent.

YardRat
08-20-2013, 04:53 AM
The worst part about this - wtf was bradham doing rolling around tonawanda on a sat night?

Trolling for Lecter?

X-Era
08-20-2013, 05:40 AM
League policy vs state law very interesting debate. I'm surprised the Denver nuggets weren't able to sign every free agent available since the NBA doesn't drug test.:idea:
Employers can frown upon and fire employees for not meeting their expectations... Even if no law was broken. Happens all the time.

DraftBoy
08-20-2013, 06:42 AM

Saves him not getting arrested, but plenty of legal substances are still banned by the NFL and if he pops positive on a test he still gets suspended.

- - - Updated - - -

The NBA drug tests.

GingerP
08-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Dennard's DUI was while he was on probation....probation for punching a cop, for which he was convicted of and sentenced to 30 days (which he doesn't have to serve until March..smh). I think that is the point many have been trying to make with Dennard, two arrests, one for assaulting a cop, and Goddell hasn't done anything. Is it only drug offenses that get punished?

To me, punching a cop is much worse than getting caught with a little weed....but if Goddell is going to punish, he needs to be consistent.

Dennard's arrest for assaulting a cop happened before he was drafted. Per the CBA, the league can't punish guys for stuff they did prior to entering the league. His subsequent arrest this offseason is subject to league discipline, and he will probably get suspended at some point. It takes some time for the process to play out.

Miller's missing a court date was not related to the trouble he is in now. He failure to appear was related to traffic offenses. The trouble he is in now is because he gave a diluted sample, and the league is going after him because he tried to cheat a test. Given they are talking about 6-8 games, it is not his first failure.

Also, even though Colorado (and Washington) have passed laws legalizing marijuana, that doesn't mean anyone in those states is OK. They haven't figured out how to implement the law yet, and probably won't before 2014. It is also still illegal to use pot in public. Finally, it is still illegal under federal law, and the feds have not had a response to the new laws yet, both states are still waiting. Even if it passes, the CBA prohibits it's use as well.

The King
08-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Thats code for you shouldn't be somewhat wealthy, black and driving a nice car out at 2am.
If the tint was illegal I doubt race played into it.

Thief
08-20-2013, 08:29 AM
If the tint was illegal I doubt race played into it.Really? Sure it did. Heck, the whole profile of the car played into it.

Anyways, who the heck needs to smoke weed while fighting for your damn dream job and millions? What a damn moron.

Ed
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Because that's the way big alcohol and tobacco corporations want it.

justasportsfan
08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
If guilty, suspend his arse for 4 games for being stupid.

jamze132
08-20-2013, 09:27 AM
My rant isn't about the weed. Yeah, you're not supposed to have it because it's against the law. Got it.

My problem is what in the **** was he doing DURING TRAINING CAMP out that late? This comes down to having discipline to follow team rules! I know there's a curfew in place and it's there for a reason.

Seriously? 2am? Why even make yourself a target? Of course the cops are going to stop just about anyone that late just to see what they're up to, so stay the **** away, especially if you have narcotics in your car! What a friggin dumbass! And obviously he was smoking it if the cops could smell it from the car.

Here is a player who has the opportunity to make millions and they want to flirt with losing it all by being labled as a drug user in the NFL. Teams need to do a MUCH better job influencing, coaching, and mentoring a lot of their players who some of them have never had anyone who gave a crap about them. Yes the NFL is a business and players have to take responsibility for their own actions, but the staff also has a responsibility as leaders to get their guys to do the right thing by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.

PromoTheRobot
08-20-2013, 10:03 AM
My rant isn't about the weed. Yeah, you're not supposed to have it because it's against the law. Got it.

My problem is what in the **** was he doing DURING TRAINING CAMP out that late? This comes down to having discipline to follow team rules! I know there's a curfew in place and it's there for a reason.

Seriously? 2am? Why even make yourself a target? Of course the cops are going to stop just about anyone that late just to see what they're up to, so stay the **** away, especially if you have narcotics in your car! What a friggin dumbass! And obviously he was smoking it if the cops could smell it from the car.

Here is a player who has the opportunity to make millions and they want to flirt with losing it all by being labled as a drug user in the NFL. Teams need to do a MUCH better job influencing, coaching, and mentoring a lot of their players who some of them have never had anyone who gave a crap about them. Yes the NFL is a business and players have to take responsibility for their own actions, but the staff also has a responsibility as leaders to get their guys to do the right thing by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.

So what you are saying is if you are black you better just lock yourself up in your apartment after the sun goes down? Since when are you asking for trouble being out late? Bars are open till 4am in Buffalo. Restaurants and supermarkets are open 24 hours. Since when is it a crime to go to Mighty Taco at 2am? If it is then lock me up as a repeat offender. Then again I'm not black.

PTR

mayotm
08-20-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm in favor in of marijuana legalization but that's not the issue here. The fact is, it's not legal in NY. That being the case, there's no reason to be out driving around at 2:00 AM with weed in your vehicle. Furthermore, as a professional athlete, there isn't a good reason to be smoking weed since they test for it. Those that want to turn this into a debate about legalization or profiling are missing the point. Bottom line, it was poor judgement by Bradham.

d1220
08-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Depending on the amount he was caught with it may just be a civil violation. Posession of up to 25 grams is decriminalized in NY. Not a big deal unless it's over 25g. Same class as a speeding ticket.

feldspar
08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Really? Sure it did. Heck, the whole profile of the car played into it.

Do you sit there and envision a cop seeing illegally tinted windows and saying "he's must be black, so let's go get 'em?" If so, that's ridiculous. The car was profiled? Have you ever been pulled over for a broken headlight or a loud muffler? I have, and there's no difference between that and illegally tinted windows as far as being pulled over. The cops are there to do what? That's right, police the laws that are in place. They can pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt.

And how do you even know if the cop that pulled him over isn't black himself? Do you have this information? Don't go around applying race where it doesn't belong. I hate that. Do you expect cops to say "that car has illegally tinted windows, but that's OK. No skin off my back?" No, they pull you over for that no matter what you look like, which is hard to tell at night through tinted windows. That's the whole point to the law: you can't see in. Maybe you are being slightly racist if you assume that only black people have tinted windows, and then project this line of thinking onto the cop. Ridiculous.

Yeah, it was stupid of Bradham to be out at 2 AM smoking weed in his car, considering how much he has to lose if caught. That's really the ONLY thing here. He's going to pay for it in some form, too...a lot more than the actual deed warrants, ask me. Having this on his record is not going to help his career...it's not the legal punishment he has to worry about so much. Now he has "character issues."

BillsFanInNM
08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
damn, there goes his madden rating :crap:

Tatonka
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
im sure that someone is waiting at his locker right now with a cup to piss in.

this wont end well.

justasportsfan
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
here's his interview

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Nigel-Bradham-Statement/13c93295-4b84-403d-b8f8-28b637318340

NOT THE DUDE...
08-20-2013, 02:02 PM
THIS WHOLE CONVERSATION IS MOSTLY ASS BACKWARDS... we don't tell black people to avoid the south during the civil rights movement, we don't tell prisoners makes sure you never question anything or else you get beat down, you don't tell citizens to never question authority or to never make a complaint if the police are pulling a Rodney king... the whole focus, all the energy should be focused on how ****ing dumb these laws are, which are nothing more than a money grab by the state... it's a ****ing joke. nigel wasn't under the influence, he didn't have an attitude, he didn't get in a fight, he didn't beat his wife, and he pays his taxes. AGAIN, shift the focus to the stupidity, not towards the consequences of that stupidity in place as law

Typ0
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I think they need to start delineating between good weed and swag myself. I want to know if this guy was holding some stinky skunk buds or some brown leafy homegrown stuff...cut the crap and tell us something important about the character of our players for a change.

Turf
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
The issue I have with Bradham is not the legality of it. It is that its anti Marrone and anti where we’re going. He’s supposed to be sold out to win. He is a professional athlete, and should be soley dedicated to be in the best shape possible. Smoking pot is NOT the way to be in peak physical condition, and because of that he shows a weak character in commitment to winning. He’s clearly not trying to be the best he can, and shows lack of respect for his team.

BillsFever21
08-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Pretty sure you're wrong on that. Miller also skipped a court hearing didn't he? Not to mention he FAILED A LEAGUE DRUG TEST, which as far as we know Bradham has not done.

He failed a test and skipped a hearing that's why he is looking at a 4-6 game suspension. The point to NTD was that it doesn't matter what one thinks about the severity of the incident he was still breaking the law and the NFL policy.

He wouldn't get a 4 game suspension but he could possibly see a 1 game suspension. Especially depending on if he has failed any prior tests that we're not aware of. Either way he was in violation of the NFL policy. NTD was acting like because many thinks it should be legal doesn't mean that it was a big deal. In the world of the NFL they don't look at it that way.

HAMMER
08-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Four game suspensions are not handed out for a single failed test, it takes 3-4 failed/missed tests to get to that point. Von Miller obviously likes his bud.

HAMMER
08-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Hard to defend Nigel, but don't assume he was smoking it. Good weed in a normal plastic bag will make any car smell like a skunk, no need to light it.

cookie G
08-20-2013, 04:31 PM
PS Miller just got 6 games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/20/von-miller-gets-a-six-game-suspension/

Early today, Broncos linebacker Von Miller said he hadn’t heard from the league. Now he has.

Miller officially has been suspended six games.

“The Substances of Abuse policy requires everyone to comply with the rules,” Miller said in a statement released to the media. ”Although my suspension doesn’t result from a positive test, there is no excuse for my violations of the rules. I made mistakes and my suspension has hurt my team, Broncos fans, and myself. I am especially sorry for the effect of my bad decisions on others. I will not make the the same mistakes about adhering to the policy in the future. During my time off the field, I will work tirelessly and focus exclusively on remaining in peak shape. I look forward to contributing immediately upon my upon my return to the field and bringing a championship back to the people of Denver.”

The fact that the outcome of the suspension is official implies that a hearing happened. Which means that the reports from last Thursday that he was meeting with NFLPA lawyers and not attending a hearing on his situation may have been false — misinformation deliberately planted by someone with an agenda.

He'll be losing $800,000 this year.

That's a high high.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
He failed a test and skipped a hearing that's why he is looking at a 4-6 game suspension.
The point to NTD was that it doesn't matter what one thinks about the severity of the incident he was still breaking the law and the NFL policy.

He wouldn't get a 4 game suspension but he could possibly see a 1 game suspension. Especially depending on if he has failed any prior tests that we're not aware of. Either way he was in violation of the NFL policy. NTD was acting like because many thinks it should be legal doesn't mean that it was a big deal. In the world of the NFL they don't look at it that way.

the moral weight has nothing to do with him breaking nfl policy/law. it's whether or not the law is ethical/justified. that's like telling black people not to walk around at night in nyc because of stop and frisk, instead of saying that's a horrible law. I don't understand this bizarre notion that we should respect every law because it's simply law. that's ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

an extreme example, but slavery was the law. but so the **** what...

- - - Updated - - -

its still wrong, duh

BillsFever21
08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
I've always thought the first failed test is a warning and the second one results in a four game suspension. People with millions of dollars in their grasp taking the chance of wasting it away like Travis Henry. Any normal occupation and you're done after a failed test. There are no warnings, 2nd chances, 3rd chances, etc.

Some need to man up and admit Bradham messed up and isn't very bright or mature to be taking this chance. Just because he is on the Bills shouldn't make it acceptable. If it was a player in our division it would be much different.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
I've always thought the first failed test is a warning and the second one results in a four game suspension. People with millions of dollars in their grasp taking the chance of wasting it away like Travis Henry. Any normal occupation and you're done after a failed test. There are no warnings, 2nd chances, 3rd chances, etc.

Some need to man up and admit Bradham messed up and isn't very bright or mature to be taking this chance. Just because he is on the Bills shouldn't make it acceptable. If it was a player in our division it would be much different.

your logic is amazing. so he should have millions taken away for have the possession of a j.... just ponder that for 1 minute and get back to me. its just a money grap bs scheme by the state man. he isn't doing anything wrong man

- - - Updated - - -

and for you to compare this to travis henry, well... I wont even respond...

NOT THE DUDE...
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
its like taking your house away because you had 2 beers in your house...??? wtf

BillsFever21
08-20-2013, 04:56 PM
It's called "taking the chance" of wasting it away like Travis Henry. I never said Bradham or Miller was like Travis Henry.

What is so hard about this for you to understand? Myself and many others don't care for the law but that's the way it goes. I can't just light up and fail a test at work and tell them that it should be legal so you can't fire me. Athletes should be fortunate that they get multiple chances unlike any other worker in the world.

This has nothing to do with what should be legal and what shouldn't be legal. Not many people is saying it's a bad thing. The issue is that it's illegal under the law and against the NFL policy. Players who take that chance are being idiotic. It doesn't matter what you feel the law should be. That's a total different subject for the Spin Zone.

As long as it's against the law or especially your company policy then you are risking it. Even more your company because it's only a minor offense under the law in most states for being caught with a small amount. Many states it's just a ticket and you're on your way. If someone doesn't want to live by it then move to Amsterdam.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
It's called "taking the chance" of wasting it away like Travis Henry. I never said Bradham or Miller was like Travis Henry.

What is so hard about this for you to understand? Myself and many others don't care for the law but that's the way it goes. I can't just light up and fail a test at work and tell them that it should be legal so you can't fire me. Athletes should be fortunate that they get multiple chances unlike any other worker in the world.

This has nothing to do with what should be legal and what shouldn't be legal. Not many people is saying it's a bad thing. The issue is that it's illegal under the law and against the NFL policy. Players who take that chance are being idiotic. It doesn't matter what you feel the law should be. That's a total different subject for the Spin Zone.

As long as it's against the law or especially your company policy then you are risking it. Even more your company because it's only a minor offense under the law in most states for being caught with a small amount. Many states it's just a ticket and you're on your way. If someone doesn't want to live by it then move to Amsterdam.

taking a chance implies a risk of breaking a law. if the law is totally ****ed, then the burden is on the nfl and the state, not bradham. ( in other words the criminal aspect of this is the state), but you keep shifting the burden and ignoring ethical justification.... essentially you are arguing for the status quo of stupidity. which within the context of a conversation, on a message board, in politics, in sports, is ass backwards and missing the whole point. that's the whole point of talking about ideas and their consequences. that's why some people will take up the notion of jury nullification, or hold a protest and change how we talk about these things. its like blaming the guy who has his car confiscated because you are not allowed to drink coke and drive... think about how absurd and ****ing ******ed it is to shift the burden there.....

- - - Updated - - -

in laymans terms, its like blaming you when I punched you in the face... wtf

NOT THE DUDE...
08-20-2013, 05:27 PM
it doesn't surprise me though as far as people never questioning authority. the US is one of the most authoritarian states in the world now. we have more people incarcerated than the soviet union gulags in the early to mid 20th century....

JediMindPowers
08-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Ok, how about commenting on the severity of the league's punishment.

Its totally and completely unfair, and I'm talking about from a market perspective.

Eight hundred thousand dollar fine? It's too severe, the way it is written is too general and reminiscent of actual drug laws in some states that target black populations. If I am a player I would ask my union (NFLPA) to bring that topic to the table and get a better deal.

I would also ask for totally new people running my union because the one they have now is weak and horrible....if I am player of course.

feldspar
08-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Its totally and completely unfair, and I'm talking about from a market perspective.

Eight hundred thousand dollar fine? It's too severe, the way it is written is too general and reminiscent of actual drug laws in some states that target black populations. If I am a player I would ask my union (NFLPA) to bring that topic to the table and get a better deal.

I would also ask for totally new people running my union because the one they have now is weak and horrible....if I am player of course.

If you are talking about Von Miller, there is no $800,000 fine...that's just the money he won't EARN while he's suspended. He's not working, so he doesn't get paid, basically. Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be financially OK in the long-run.

And the recent collective bargaining agreement was for 10 years without any opt-out clause.

Violating drug rules in the NFL is a huge deal. Players are held to a higher standard because they are so high profile and actually role models for children, or kids look up to these guys...at least in part. The league is trying to portray a clean image. You want the players to come to the table and say what, that they should better be able to get away with taking drugs or using banned substances? No way in hell that will happen...EVER. Not in today's America.

Some corporations aren't so forgiving, are they. Do something against their drug policies, and you are done.

Turf
08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
If you're trying to be the best AKA Jerry Rice, you don't get high or drink while training. Pure and simple.

BillsFever21
08-20-2013, 07:54 PM

It's no different then if you were suspended from your job for 6 weeks. You would lose 6 weeks of pay but it obviously wouldn't be as much. If a highly paid QB was suspended for 6 games then you would be talking 7+ million they would lose out on with the amount they get paid a year.

Do you propose that they don't get any suspensions and if they do then they still keep their paycheck? It's a suspension without pay. If it was the real world in a normal workplace then they wouldn't have a job at all.

It would suck to lose 4-6 weeks of pay no matter how much you make but if you work for just about any company outside of a minimum wage type job then that would actually be a grateful outcome. At most companies you are fired after a single failed test. Some will give you some time off and a second chance but with intensive testing and probation when you return but a second failed test and you would be done.

Just getting a suspension after multiple failed tests actually gets them off fairly easy. Most normal people with millions of dollars in front of them wouldn't be risking it over pot that's for sure. If they did then most of them would be smart enough to quit after getting caught the first time. The public never finds out about it and you won't receive a suspension. If they continue to risk it then that's their own fault.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-21-2013, 07:58 AM
why do people continually support arbitrary authoritarian policies, I literally don't get it... bradham is the victim here, and for some odd reason it's twisted into the opposite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKmkOUY_1A&list=UUjNxszyFPasDdRoD9J6X-sw

NOT THE DUDE...
08-21-2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZiAD8J3xjg

NOT THE DUDE...
08-21-2013, 08:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pQg_80u3s

Mr. Miyagi
08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
If you're trying to be the best AKA Jerry Rice, you don't get high or drink while training. Pure and simple.
Michael Irvin was pretty darn good. He had coke and hookers too.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
of course there is more nuance, but if you don't think people should have sovereignty over their own bodies, then I don't know what to say

GingerP
08-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Yeah, but Irvin didn't get caught.

No matter what you think of legalization of pot, Von Miller has to abide by the rules that have been collectively bargained if he wants to play in the NFL. He has already violated those rules and is being suspended 6 games.

The worst part of this, is he is now a stage 3 offender. That means his next failure would result in a automatic 1-year suspension, after which he could apply for reinstatement if he undergoes counseling and stays clean. Also, he will get tested at least 10 times a month.

justasportsfan
08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
"I was gonna make a tackle, until I got high. I was gonna sack him too, but then I got high. Now I'm facing suspension and I know why, because I got high, because I got high, because I got high."

Turf
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Imagine if he didn't. The coke probably helped him anyways, but he also could have killed himself. Anyone who has trained to be in the best physical condition humanly possible does not drink or take drugs while doing so. What is so hard to understand about that. My beef with Bradham is he's not sold out to win.

ublinkwescore
08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Marijuana is illegal because powerful people profit greatly by imprisoning non dangerous people, and by suppressing competition in many fields because it is sooo versatile of a plant.

K-Gun
08-22-2013, 08:35 PM
I know I'm late to the game w/ this, but anyone else cringe when they go to the Bills website and see this pic at the top? I mean come on, we were just begging to have a player arrested. 16586