PDA

View Full Version : Byrd wants trade?

SeatownBillsFan21
08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I have no link but Ed Wearder on ESPN insider said he hopes to be traded before the deadline.

feldspar
08-21-2013, 02:56 PM
I have no link but Ed Wearder on ESPN insider said he hopes to be traded before the deadline.

Why trade him this year when we can franchise him again next year and trade him then? Amounts to the same thing for us, and we get him for a year at least.

...little squirrely bastard. He ain't goin' nowheres.

alnilla
08-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Only if we get a player for him or multiple draft picks next year thats about it. If not tag him again next year.

Night Train
08-21-2013, 02:57 PM
We OWN you !

Deal with it.

GingerP
08-21-2013, 03:02 PM
His value isn't as high without the ability to extend him beyond this year. I can't see them dealing him. I don't his makeup is to be the skunk at the picnic and force his way out in the Jason Peters mold. I can't see him going anywhere.

ThunderGun
08-21-2013, 03:12 PM
He is now back-tracking on that:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwederespn 5m

To clarify #BillsMafia I said, I'd imagine Jairus Byrd would request a trade at the deadline given the holdout. Strictly opinion...

Meathead
08-21-2013, 03:12 PM
So can he get a new contract if he's traded or not?

Novacane
08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
He is now back-tracking on that:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwederespn 5m

To clarify #BillsMafia I said, I'd imagine Jairus Byrd would request a trade at the deadline given the holdout. Strictly opinion...

So Ed Werder would want a trade if he were Byrd? Wow. That's big news!

SeatownBillsFan21
08-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Haha his exact words were "I've even heard he hopes to be traded before the deadline." Must of been called out on twitter no doubt.

Novacane
08-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Haha his exact words were "I've even heard he hopes to be traded before the deadline." Must of been called out on twitter no doubt.

I'm sure he heard it from one of his fellow media stooges that also just made it up. I hate it when these "experts" post their opinions as news.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-21-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm sure he heard it from one of his fellow media stooges that also just made it up. I hate it when these "experts" post their opinions as news.

He heard it from OpIvy.

OLDSRIP
08-21-2013, 05:46 PM

Well if that's all it takes to be a reporter, I'll start now.
Feel free to tweet this if you wish. It's big news.

"I've even heard he wants a large order of wings when he get in town."

where to I get my check?
friggen idiot reporters.

DynaPaul
08-21-2013, 06:04 PM
That wouldn't make any sense playing in this defense. This will be a career year for him.

Skooby
08-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Can we move this to spam ?? A stupid reporter mumbling about nothing is not needed here.

SquishDaFish
08-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Like most of your posts SKooby?

Scumbag College
08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't think that reporting what you think someone else would want without talking to that person constitutes "journalism."

ESPN sucks.

Skooby
08-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Like most of your posts SKooby? I tell the truth, even when I lie.

BertSquirtgum
08-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Can we move this to spam ?? A stupid reporter mumbling about nothing is not needed here.

Really? Like every rumor thread you make once a week? Damn hypocrite.

OpIv37
08-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't know whether Byrd wants a trade or not, but if it is true, what's so shocking about it?

Byrd is about to enter the prime of his career, and he's a quality player. The Bills as an organization have languished in mediocrity for years. New GM, new HC, new OC and DC. Rookies all over the place, including at QB. Given that situation, why wouldn't any player want to be traded to a contender?

On top of that, the Bills just refused to give Byrd the contract he wanted and franchised him for roughly $2 million less than he wanted. Yeah, there's already a thread about whether or not there's bad blood between Byrd/his agent and the team, but given the rebuilding situation just described, I can't believe NOT getting paid is going to make Byrd any more eager to stay in Buffalo and deal with the rebuild. He's probably got 3 or 4 seasons of peak play less, and maybe another 3 of decent play after that, if he's lucky.

Meathead
08-21-2013, 08:46 PM
So can he get a new contract if he's traded?

Oaf
08-21-2013, 08:50 PM

IDK if those were the exact words, but he got ripped a new one in the replies.

BertSquirtgum
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Jan Reimers
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM
People in Hell want ice water, too.

Meathead
08-21-2013, 09:16 PM
So can he get a new contract if he's traded?

Oaf
08-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Great, now NFL.com picked up on the riffraff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232635/article/jairus-byrd-open-to-being-traded-by-buffalo-bills

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, even if true, I can't really blame him for it. He has languished on some pretty disappointing teams.

TigerJ
08-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Whether or not Ed Wearder has hard evidence Jairus Byrd wants to be traded, would it really be a shock given the impasse on a long term deal and a few other things we've heard over the last nine months? I guess I'm uncomfortable with having this drag out beyond this season. Yes, the Bills can franchise him next season, but that likely means he again refuses to sign his tender until the end of training camp. Even though he's a high caliber player, he's not going to be as effective early in the season having missed training camp, thus insuring the Bills get less value for their money. Moreover, I think it is an ongoing distraction. Thus, if the Bills could get somewhere close to fair value in a trade, I'd do it.

GingerP
08-21-2013, 09:49 PM
No, Meathead, he can't sign an extension until after the season. That is true even if he is traded.

TigerJ
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
He and his agent could reach some kind of verbal agreement on the parameters of a long term deal to be signed after the season. The league has no way to enforce any kind of ban on that sort of negotiating.

trapezeus
08-21-2013, 10:27 PM
from the brandon quotes, it seems like they agreed to disagree and play the season out. the bills made it clear they'd like to have him and byrd said, that's fine but i'm not hurting myself early in preseason. The bills said that's fine, but be ready to go so we aren't too far behind and we'll take that into consideration to meet your expectations at the end of this year provided you are still playing high level football.

i get the argument of why byrd would ask for a trade, but brandon's comments and the lack of parker yapping about makes me think this is not a huge issue.

i could be wrong. i also think brandon is a complete idiot, but for the first time in his long tenure, things are starting to look positive. so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

better days
08-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Whether or not Ed Wearder has hard evidence Jairus Byrd wants to be traded, would it really be a shock given the impasse on a long term deal and a few other things we've heard over the last nine months? I guess I'm uncomfortable with having this drag out beyond this season. Yes, the Bills can franchise him next season, but that likely means he again refuses to sign his tender until the end of training camp. Even though he's a high caliber player, he's not going to be as effective early in the season having missed training camp, thus insuring the Bills get less value for their money. Moreover, I think it is an ongoing distraction. Thus, if the Bills could get somewhere close to fair value in a trade, I'd do it.

It was reported that his friends on the defense have kept him in the loop as far as the defensive scheme goes.

I think he will have plenty of time to get into shape for the opening game.

I expect him to start against the Pats* & play well.

Skooby
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Why would we trade the #1 safety in the league?

kishoph
08-22-2013, 05:19 AM
If Byrd wanted to be traded, why would he have signed this tender, instead of holding out and demanding a trade ?

Meathead
08-22-2013, 05:28 AM
thank you
thank you
thank you

Meathead
08-22-2013, 05:41 AM
so really what we know now is that byrd wont accept anything but to be the highest paid safety. meanwhile, the bills appeared ready to make him something like the third or fourth highest paid safety

unless the bills were talking about paying him lower than that before the deal deadline passed, this seems like poor strategy on byrds part

he could have had the safety (no pun intended) of a long term deal as the third-ish paid safety in the league. now not only does he have to risk at least one season where an injury could immediately slash his earning potential, hes also forcing super high expectations on himself and made that known around the league. he will need to have a super season AND stay healthy to have another chance at the highest-of-everybody payday

its more likely he will do something to decrease his value than increase it - seems like a huge gamble for a relatively small payday

pot odds are bad, jarius. you should have taken the deal

X-Era
08-22-2013, 06:03 AM
I want Byrd back and we have plenty of money to sign him. I think this gets done.

But, if he doesn't want a fair offer from us and wants crazy money and can get it from another team, he is expendable.

As with all these situations, we have to pay attention to the team. Does that same 9 mill per buy you a stud at another position where we have a large hole? Is the S position stronger as far as prospects goes than another position?

From the team level, if you lose Byrd and get a 1st rounder you could spend Byrd money on a bigger need area and have an extra draft pick. The problem is we have Williams at S and then not much else. Searcy hasn't been very good and after that we have new prospects.

But then it comes down to where my concern really lies... Will the Bills re-invest the 9 mill in the team by adding a stud at another position? If not you're watering down the talent.

DraftBoy
08-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Rapoport also said he believes Byrd would welcome trade due to the bad blood that remains between he and the Bills. This is more than just idle speculation. He was clear however Byrd has not requested a trade.

- - - Updated - - -

If Byrd wanted to be traded, why would he have signed this tender, instead of holding out and demanding a trade ?

He has to sign the tender to get traded.

better days
08-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Rapoport also said he believes Byrd would welcome trade due to the bad blood that remains between he and the Bills. This is more than just idle speculation. He was clear however Byrd has not requested a trade.

- - - Updated - - -

What more is it than idle speculation? If the Bills WANTED to trade Byrd, I'm sure he would be open to it. But I have no doubt, the Bills DO NOT want to trade Byrd this season.

If the Bills wanted Byrd gone, I'm sure they would have shopped him at draft time.

I expect Byrd to play well for the Bills this year & have a lot of fun in the process.

Thief
08-22-2013, 08:14 AM
This was all random speculation. A team would not trade fair market value for a guy on a one year contract. The Bills would not trade him for less than fair market value. Nothing to see here.

kishoph
08-22-2013, 08:33 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.
Makes sense I guess, since he officially wasn't a Bill.

Oaf
08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
I bet if Byrd plays well this season, the Bills will reward him.

I'll be pissed if this is not the case. Even if Byrd gets traded, I'm not going to call him a selfish player, everything that I've heard about him and from him indicates he's a man of character.

trapezeus
08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
so really what we know now is that byrd wont accept anything but to be the highest paid safety. meanwhile, the bills appeared ready to make him something like the third or fourth highest paid safety

unless the bills were talking about paying him lower than that before the deal deadline passed, this seems like poor strategy on byrds part

he could have had the safety (no pun intended) of a long term deal as the third-ish paid safety in the league. now not only does he have to risk at least one season where an injury could immediately slash his earning potential, hes also forcing super high expectations on himself and made that known around the league. he will need to have a super season AND stay healthy to have another chance at the highest-of-everybody payday

its more likely he will do something to decrease his value than increase it - seems like a huge gamble for a relatively small payday

pot odds are bad, jarius. you should have taken the deal

100% agree on this. With the way deals get redone mid deal, you wait until the last day and then agree to be the 3rd highest paid player, and if you perform again, you hold out like Revis. If you get hurt, you got more money on the signing of the 3rd highest contract than you did on the one year tender.

I get how this creates bad blood, etc, but i just don't get the snese the bills are there. Eugene Parker is great at leaking info he wants out there. and for the most part, this is fairly contained to one or two reporters. And it's literally a couple days before byrd is talking at conference after the next preseason game. then we can hear straight from his mouth and body language on if he's really frustrated with the team or not.

OpIv37
08-22-2013, 04:52 PM
I just can't believe it's really up for debate as to whether or not Byrd is frustrated with the team.

We're just fans and we're all frustrated with this cluster**** of an organization. I can't imagine what it's like to actually have to WORK there, especially for players under contract or franchise tag where the org actually has a LOT of control over their future.

K-Gun
08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
I just can't believe it's really up for debate as to whether or not Byrd is frustrated with the team.

We're just fans and we're all frustrated with this cluster**** of an organization. I can't imagine what it's like to actually have to WORK there, especially for players under contract or franchise tag where the org actually has a LOT of control over their future.

It must be rough making $430,000 per game.

Meathead
08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
100% agree on this. With the way deals get redone mid deal, you wait until the last day and then agree to be the 3rd highest paid player, and if you perform again, you hold out like Revis. If you get hurt, you got more money on the signing of the 3rd highest contract than you did on the one year tender.

exactly. i said that elsewhere, that if hes that good he would get a new contract in two to three years anyway. i would much rather have peace of mind and stability in my head the next sixteen plus (haha yeah right) weeks than constantly be paranoid i was gonna blow out sixty millions worth of something on my body