• Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Byrd or ...

Just made this argument.

Which would you rather have?

Byrd at 9 mill in cap hit after next year (Tag)

or

Two Manny Lawsons, an Alan Branch, and a 2nd round pick? Lawson and Branch each had 3 mill cap hits.

Personally I'd use some of the 29mill in cap room and sign the guy. But the other version isn't potentially that bad either.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Byrd or ...

The question isn't Byrd or...?

The question is do you believe Jarius Byrd is the best safety in the league and would want to pay him as such? If the answer is yes then you would keep him long term, if the answer is no then you will likely only see Byrd for the next year or two.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      The question isn't Byrd or...?

The question is do you believe Jarius Byrd is the best safety in the league and would want to pay him as such? If the answer is yes then you would keep him long term, if the answer is no then you will likely only see Byrd for the next year or two.
      So I agree that's part of the decision. I didn't get into that here. I'm assuming he's worth at least another year at the tag rate for this discussion.

Really because letting him walk without tagging him seems like losing him for nothing unless you really believe he will walk and then come back and take your lower offer.

But again, I'm under the premise of what's best for the team to do at the 9 mill cap figure for tagging him again.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

It is best for Ralph that the unspent salary cap not be spent.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
          So I agree that's part of the decision. I didn't get into that here. I'm assuming he's worth at least another year at the tag rate for this discussion.

Really because letting him walk without tagging him seems like losing him for nothing unless you really believe he will walk and then come back and take your lower offer.

But again, I'm under the premise of what's best for the team to do at the 9 mill cap figure for tagging him again.
          If he becomes a FA, he walks. Someone will at least match Buffalo's offer. He's too good to leave then have to come back with his tail between his legs.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

Average starters and depth can be had in the draft for a million a year. To become a contending team then you need to have good coaching and a core of impact players that are used to playing with each other. Loading your team up with a bunch of average players will continue to yield average results.

Them type of players can be useful to fill in holes on a contending team but they're not as useful on a young team with a lack of top talent. We have been playing this game since the Jauron era.
            Last edited by BillsFever21; 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
              • Feb 2006

Pay him. Best young safety in the league. Better than Weddle imo.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                If he becomes a FA, he walks. Someone will at least match Buffalo's offer. He's too good to leave then have to come back with his tail between his legs.
                And so your answer to the OP would be?

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                  Average starters and depth can be had in the draft for a million a year. To become a contending team then you need to have good coaching and a core of impact players that are used to playing with each other. Loading your team up with a bunch of average players will continue to yield average results.

Them type of players can be useful to fill in holes on a contending team but they're not as useful on a young team with a lack of top talent. We have been playing this game since the Jauron era.
                  Were are devoid of top end talent, I agree.

But I'd offer that a straight re-investment of 9 mill in cap room can buy a lot. 3 at 3 mill per plus the draft pick(s) or 2 at 4.5 or 1 at the full 9. I gave just one version, there are others.

Alonso cost a 2nd and looks good but can you get two Lawsons and a Branch out of the rest of the draft for the proposed 1 mill per?

Comment

• Scumbag College
                    • Oct 2002

The Bills have to keep their draft picks that are successful. The only two top notch picks that have stayed after their rookie contract has expired on the team currently are Kyle Williams and Stevie Johnson (and to some extent McLovin.)

The Bills haven't hit on too many star players in the draft the past 6 or 7 years, so they have to keep the ones here that are panning out. If the Bills are going to keep drafting poorly, then they have to keep the guys here that they have drafted whom have had success.
                    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Just made this argument.

Which would you rather have?

Byrd at 9 mill in cap hit after next year (Tag)

or

Two Manny Lawsons, an Alan Branch, and a 2nd round pick? Lawson and Branch each had 3 mill cap hits.

Personally I'd use some of the 29mill in cap room and sign the guy. But the other version isn't potentially that bad either.
                      I'd pay the man what he wants. He's an impact player at an impact position and no amount of castoffs like Lawson and Branch are going to convince me to take them. 'Four quarters for a dollar' trades only pay out if you manage to get an elite player back, and our chances of that are quite slim.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Or going forward, giving the $$ to a healthy Wood and then Spiller next off-season.

We'll see.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Pay him. It should be a no brainer.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                            • Aug 2004

Were are devoid of top end talent, I agree.

But I'd offer that a straight re-investment of 9 mill in cap room can buy a lot. 3 at 3 mill per plus the draft pick(s) or 2 at 4.5 or 1 at the full 9. I gave just one version, there are others.

Alonso cost a 2nd and looks good but can you get two Lawsons and a Branch out of the rest of the draft for the proposed 1 mill per?
                            The longer we waited before signing Byrd then the least attractive it would be. If we tagged him one more season then it wouldn't be worth signing a then 29 year old safety to a 5 year deal. It all depends on whether it's done after this season or not.

Guys like Lawson and especially Branch aren't very difficult to replace with draft picks. Especially if you even do an average job at drafting for your system. It's not like these guys have lit the world on fire. They are low end FA's and that's why they only get a few million a year. They are marginal starters and great depth/rotational players at best.

When you let your top end talent walk just to get two or three marginal starters out of the deal you are never truly building a team. Instead of securing that position for a long-term run you are constantly replacing them with higher draft pick. Many times you also don't find the same quality of player out of the deal either.

Them higher draft picks could've been used on building up other areas of your team that are currently a weakness. The draft pick you don't need to replace the top end talent with could even be used to fill the spot that for guys like Lawson, Branch and many others over the years at a much cheaper price. Most likely you will get at least the same production and most likely even a better player.

Using this strategy that we've done has lead us to spending three 1st and a 3rd round pick on RB's in a single decade. We traded them for peanuts and keep using 1st round picks to replace them. That is also only one example.

We let Winfield walk and look at how many draft picks we've spent on trying to replace him over the years to find another #1 CB. Or even Jabari Greer to a lesser extent. We drafted McKelvin and then Aaron Williams high in the draft because we still couldn't find someone who worked out. Not to mention bringing in other FA's like Drayton Florence and other middle round draft picks. Had we just kept guys like that in the first place we could've used them high picks on other players. In the end we still brought in guys like Florence and paid them money. In the end we were worse off and still paying for free agent corners.

You can't keep all of your players but when you have a young top level talent you need to keep the majority of them. Letting them walk over money and using draft picks to replace them and signing a couple average players in their place keeps getting you 6 win seasons. You are never building a team and just continue treading water trying to replace them. Most of the time you still don't find a replacement as good as they were.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

We've been trying this entire failed method of signing two or three average guys for the price of one good guy for almost a decade. In the end we get a bunch of average guys that could've been had in the draft and using a high draft pick to try and replace the good player.

This method would be alright if you were strapped against the cap, had a core of elite talent and needed to fill a few holes to help contend for a championship. When you're on a team that doesn't have many elite players and almost 30 million in cap space then it doesn't get you anywhere. We just let one player go to use that money on 2 or 3 average players. That extra money rarely ever gets used to upgrade the team.

Average players are a dime a dozen in the NFL. You can find them in the draft for a million or so a year. Elite talent isn't that easy. When you're a young team you need to keep your elite talent and build around them players that eventually become your veteran core. Then you can use your draft picks to try and upgrade other positions to try and build a contending team.

Comment

Working...
                              X