PDA

View Full Version : The wide receiver position........

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2013, 07:14 AM
This is quickly turning into a pet peeve of mine amongst Bills fans. There seems to be a mindset with fans that the Bills are set at WR and have an over abundance of talent and ability. However, if one stops for a few minutes and actually thinks about it they have a stunning lack of proven ability at the position.

Right now, the Bills have one WR that has shown he can play at the NFL level in Stevie Johnson. TJ Graham did OK for a rookie last year, but has hardly shown that he can be a reliable player. Brad Smith is what he is - a guy who really does not have the talent to be a WR alone and gets by in the NFL based off his versatility and special teams ability, which is fine but he is not really a NFL caliber WR. Robert Woods sounds good and looks good but has yet to play a NFL game. Marques Goodwin is a rookie 3rd pick who is fast but never really did much in college. Marcus Easley? Really? How long has he been around? He was free to be signed by any NFL team last year and nobody wanted him, even after teams had injuries and it was late in the season. Da'Rick Rogers is an undrafted rookie who had a good year at Tennessee and then when he stepped down in competition he did not dominate. Chris Hogan is with his 3rd team and has nver played in a NFL game. Brandon Kauffman is another UDRFA. DeMarco Sampson? Bleh.

People seem worried about who will be cut and that they will cut a guy who will go elsewhere and be productive. I am a hell of a lot more worried that this position will be another position that is a very deep hole on the team.

Frankly, unless they cut Johnson or Woods, does it matter? I question if most of the rest of the guys even make most NFL rosters.

So when Rogers, Easley, Hogan and/or Kauffman gets cut, who cares? Guys like them are a dime a dozen.

This is not a position of depth and strength. It is another position of weakness.

Skooby
08-26-2013, 07:38 AM
I don't disagree but we don't even know if we have someone to throw to them, so it's going to start there.

Historian
08-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Right now, the Bills have one WR that has shown he can play at the NFL level in Stevie Johnson. .

Debatable.

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Debatable.

Really?

Do I have to show you his numbers the last few years, despite playing with Fitz as a QB?

Do you really think he is not a NFL WR?

That is crazy. I know you don't like the guy, but he has ability.

justasportsfan
08-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Debatable.

he can play at this level. You can't argue with facts. Whats debatable is whether he's elite

Jan Reimers
08-26-2013, 07:58 AM
This is not a position of depth and strength. It is another position of weakness.
I agree with your basic premise, Doc, but I would call WR a position of uncertainty, with good potential, but little production yet.

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Exaclty. Overrated? Perhaps.

Not a NFL receiver?

Ummmm.. No. Not even reasonable to discuss. The guy has proven he is a legit starter and a solid WR.

And before you say "drops" his drop numbers are actually pretty low.

X-Era
08-26-2013, 08:11 AM
So, what we don't have is proven talent outside of Stevie. I'll agree with that.

What we do have though is lost of unproven talent. I feel like the potential out of our group is higher than it's been in many years, maybe even a decade.

Put it this way. I hope that in a few years we will be looking at a deep talented group with experience and lot's of playmaking ability.