PDA

View Full Version : Does Gilmore get the 8-week PUP tag?

stuckincincy
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Just askin'. AFAIK, you don't have to decide until the final cut day.

GingerP
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Just askin'. AFAIK, you don't have to decide until the final cut day.

If you are talking the I/R-return designation (not eligible for PUP), they don't have to decide right away. The rules are:

1) He has to be on the initial roster, so he has to be on the cut-down to 53.
2) He has to have an injury that would last at least 6 weeks.
3) He has to get the return designation when placed on I/R, you can't I/R a guy and change it to return designation
4) He can return to practice 6 weeks from the date he is placed on I/R. He can return to active status 8 weeks from when he is placed on I/R.

They will probably keep him on the active roster and not use the designation if there is a chance he can return sooner. He is good enough to do that, and unless they are really hard-up for roster spots it is worth it.

stuckincincy
08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
If you are talking the I/R-return designation (not eligible for PUP), they don't have to decide right away. The rules are:

1) He has to be on the initial roster, so he has to be on the cut-down to 53.
2) He has to have an injury that would last at least 6 weeks.
3) He has to get the return designation when placed on I/R, you can't I/R a guy and change it to return designation
4) He can return to practice 6 weeks from the date he is placed on I/R. He can return to active status 8 weeks from when he is placed on I/R.

They will probably keep him on the active roster and not use the designation if there is a chance he can return sooner. He is good enough to do that, and unless they are really hard-up for roster spots it is worth it.

Thank you for the clarification.