• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Time for a move at CB?

Gilmore's probably out for 5-6 games. We're pretty bare as far as backups.

We should make a move.

A pressure defense means you need good man on man cover CB's. Brooks/Rogers/Robey won't cut it. Brady will eat them alive. I'd argue we need one anyway even with Gilmore since McKelvin isn't a stud CB by any means. He's solid but not the sort of #2 CB that you fully trust man on man on an island.

Some of you have argued CB is a legit need going into next years draft. Would you move one of next years picks for a young CB with talent? If we need to be drafting one anyway?

Signing a journeyman or a player cut by another team could be an answer but it certainly doesn't fix the larger issue long term nor does it give us the sort of depth we need ultimately.

I've seen some saying, "Your move Pettine"... I'm saying, "Your move Whaley". You're the GM and we have a new hole, if we want to win it's important to get it filled. Don't act like the Bills of old and assume your marginal backups can do it adequately.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM.

• NOT THE DUDE...
    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
    • Jan 2010

Re: Time for a move at CB?

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

- - - Updated - - -

smith, routt, clements, coleman

- - - Updated - - -

smith, routt, clements, coleman

Comment

• GingerP
      • Aug 2012

Problem is every team is always looking for DB's. There aren't enough good ones in the league, so it is hard to imagine some team out there with such a wealth of them they will trade one who is decent. The best bet is signing a veteran who may have a little tread left on the tire, or taking a chance on a young player who was recently cut.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
        • Mar 2007

Is this how the Bills move Byrd out? They could put together a package and probably grab a great CB for now and into the future.

Comment

• Thurmal
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
          Problem is every team is always looking for DB's. There aren't enough good ones in the league, so it is hard to imagine some team out there with such a wealth of them they will trade one who is decent. The best bet is signing a veteran who may have a little tread left on the tire, or taking a chance on a young player who was recently cut.
          Exactly. Every team in the league is thin with good DBs, so a trade is unlikely.

They should pick up a free agent, though. Couldn't hurt.
          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
            I agree that's the most likely move, if we make one. But, teams might part with one if you're willing to pay a decent price.

Some of you are real good at watching who's on the block. I'm not, I don't pay attention to it. Anyone got any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by lightningbolt444 View Post
            Is this how the Bills move Byrd out? They could put together a package and probably grab a great CB for now and into the future.
            Problem is we don't have squat behind Byrd and Aaron Williams either.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

Just tank the ****ing season, doesn't matter.

Over drafted EJ and they'll be picking in the top 5 this year. Disaster so far.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                Just tank the ****ing season, doesn't matter.

Over drafted EJ and they'll be picking in the top 5 this year. Disaster so far.
                im glad im not with you in a tough situation... Christ some of you are weak minded

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                  I agree that's the most likely move, if we make one. But, teams might part with one if you're willing to pay a decent price.

Some of you are real good at watching who's on the block. I'm not, I don't pay attention to it. Anyone got any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is we don't have squat behind Byrd and Aaron Williams either.

Well if we are going to lose Byrd at the end of the year (and only the bills a byrd know the situation) I would say we should try and move him for a CB. Only if we can get an extremely solid starter though.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

OK, PFT's take on deepest teams at CB:

With roster cuts approaching, here is our take on the teams with the strongest and thinnest depth at various positions.

49ers, Bengals, Broncos, Cardinals, Packers, Patriots, Seahawks, Titans.

49'ers:
                    Bengals:

Broncos:
                    Cards:

Pack:
                    Seahawks:

Titans:

Obviously I didn't consider the Pats.

They list us as deep at WR, OLB, S, and RS. From that list, the following teams listed above are also listed as weak at those spots... I.E. potential trade partner:

WR- None
                    OLB- Bengals, Broncos
                    S- Bengals
                    RS- None

So, using this the Bengals seem like a potential trade partner. I like Prater and Ghee.

If it's a pick, I like Cason, Cox, Thurmond, Arenas, Culliver
                    Last edited by X-Era; 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
                      im glad im not with you in a tough situation... Christ some of you are weak minded
                      ha! I don't know who to laugh at with this one.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        • Jan 2010

trade for Kirkpatrick?

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
                          trade for Kirkpatrick?
                          He's their 1st rounder, they'd never do it.

They need a S. Some huge move with Byrd. I wouldn't do it, that would be dumb. Byrd is proven, Kirkpatrick is not. Leon Hall? Maybe but that's not even IMO. I'd want more in return.

Halls deal in 2011.

9/2/2011: Signed a five-year, $42.375 million contract. The deal contains $14.1 million guaranteed, including a $9 million signing bonus. Hall is eligible for an annual $100,000 workout bonus in years two through five. 2013: $6.5 million, 2014: $6.8 million, 2015: $7.7 million, 2016: Free Agent

Sportrac says his cap hit is:
                          2013- 8.4
                          2014- 8.7
                          2015- 9.6

Too big a hit.
                          Last edited by X-Era; 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            OK, PFT's take on deepest teams at CB:

49ers, Bengals, Broncos, Cardinals, Packers, Patriots, Seahawks, Titans.

WR- None
                            OLB- Bengals, Broncos
                            S- Bengals
                            RS- None

So, using this the Bengals seem like a potential trade partner. I like Prater and Ghee.

If it's a pick, I like Cason, Cox, Thurmond, Arenas, Culliver
                            I'm surprised that anyone would list CIN deep at CB. Last year's #1, the disappointing Kirkpatrick, "seems" to be injured yet again. Former 3rd rounder Ghee is nothing but potential:

Latest on S Brandon Ghee including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Prater...

The Cincinnati Bengals are having bad luck at cornerback. Two players at the position -- Brandon Ghee and Shaun Prater -- suffered injuries Saturday, with Prater out for the season.

Both are injured - again:

"SECONDARY - CB Terence Newman (11), CB Leon Hall (7), CB Adam Jones (7), S Reggie Nelson (7), CB Brandon Ghee (4), S Taylor Mays (4), S Jeromy Miles (4), CB Dre Kirkpatrick (2), S George Iloka (2), S Tony Dye (1), CB Chris Lewis-Harris (1), CB Shaun Prater (1), S Shawn Williams (R), CB Onterio McCalebb (R).

With Ghee and possibly Kirkpatrick and Prater battling blows to the head, if the Bengals didn't think they should have kept six corners then they do now. It sounds like Jones (rib) and Ghee are going to be OK for the opener.

When Kirkpatrick got promoted to third corner Saturday in their absence, he was far from good. But at times he displayed excellent man coverage. On one play he was all over Cowboys Pro Bowl wide receiver Dez Bryant, but didn't turn his head around in time and was flagged when the ball hit him in the back. Then Bryant had to sky over Kirkpatrick for a third-down, five-yard TD catch with Kirkpatrick again all over him. But no doubt the coaches are going to emphasize ball skills to Kirkpatrick, among other things."...

Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                              • Jan 2010

Maybe we just keep 6 cbs and only 3 backup olineman

- - - Updated - - -

welch, young, legursky

Comment

Working...
                              X