PDA

View Full Version : Marrone "planning" on Tuel to start week 1, EJ still an option

DBrown77
08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Uh Oh

X-Era
08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
From his presser via Twitter updates.

Now says he hopes EJ can start.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
you're not serious are you?

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
no way

DBrown77
08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
you're not serious are you?
That is the "plan" per his post practice press conference.

OpIv37
08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Uh Oh

I know you're not a spammer but do you have a link/source?

Dr. Lecter
"That is OK. He is a very, very good QB. I have no problem with this." - NotTheDude

X-Era
EJ will start.

Merged for your viewing pleasure.

SpikedLemonade
2-14

X-Era
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I know you're not a spammer but do you have a link/source?Twitter... Buffalo Bills feed

DraftBoy
08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
What kind of crack pot circus organization are we running here? How the hell is it announced Tuel is starting then suddenly retracted and now it's EJ?

DBrown77
I know you're not a spammer but do you have a link/source?
@BuffaloBills Cant get much more official

mrbojanglezs
misleading he said he hopes that Manuel will be ready but RIGHT NOW plan is for Tuel to start. Could be a mixture of EJ being up in the air vs smoke screen

DraftBoy
08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
misleading he said he hopes that Manuel will be ready but RIGHT NOW plan is for Tuel to start. Could be a mixture of EJ being up in the air vs smoke screen

Awesome...just ****ing awesome...

X-Era
What kind of crack pot circus organization are we running here? How the hell is it announced Tuel is starting then suddenly retracted and now it's EJ?
It was said that the team is planning for Tuel as of now but hopes EJ will be able to start.

Not really much choice.

mrbojanglezs

smells like a smoke screen to me. He never said Manuel wouldn't start, just said plan RIGHT NOW is for tuel to start. Added hopes Manuel will be ready.

X-Era
08-26-2013, 11:42 AM
smells like a smoke screen to me. He never said Manuel wouldn't start, just said plan RIGHT NOW is for tuel to start. Added hopes Manuel will be ready.I really don't think it's a ploy guys. What can he say? EJ is starting when he isn't even practicing? Right now he only has one healthy QB that knows the playbook.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:43 AM
The actual quote was,

"We are still hoping EJ will be ready for week one, but as of now we are planning for Jeff Tuel to be the starter" still not good, but I bet ej starts...

X-Era
08-26-2013, 11:44 AM
EJ will be back on the practice field late this week or early next. That's my guess.

Cortisone for the pain at the incision, super-glue to keep it shut during the game... DONE

mrbojanglezs
08-26-2013, 11:44 AM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/092009/1253886001_office-no.gif

trapezeus
08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
now the team has some adversity. let's see how they handle it. Tuel will be going up against a defense that has been kind of average for 2 years. The Bills have put up points with Fitz who just doesn't have the arm strength. they have an OC who kind of seems to know the value of CJ.

I am in no way saying this is ideal or even realistic to win. but if they do, that's a lot of momentum. and it gives the players a little belief in their coaching staff. Especially the vets who have seen this year after year and watched the team fold. if they have this kind of adversity and manage to pull out a win and EJ can be ready the following week, we will have dodged a big bullet

but i think the gilmore injury is truly the disaster. a guy like brady is going to pick them apart with short passes. the bills will have to play man coverage and bump the hell out the receivers to hope that it disrupts timing and lets the blitz in. otherwise, the middle of the field will be open all day and it will be byrd and the other safety making tackles 12 yards after each play.

mrbojanglezs
08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
EJ will be back on the practice field late this week or early next. That's my guess.

Cortisone for the pain at the incision, super-glue to keep it shut during the game... DONE

and if he is I think he starts.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
if, IF, tuel starts, the mentality is to not be super protective, but to let him open it up and throw it all over the god damn place.... just wing it and let the chips fall where they may. we are supposed to lose anyway. either way, tuel does not come across as the typical rookie who lacks confidence...

X-Era
08-26-2013, 11:48 AM
and if he is I think he starts.Really think he'll start against the Pats.

...I just hope he's ready...

JoeMama
08-26-2013, 11:50 AM
"We'll rally around [Jeff Tuel] and we will play good football"

NOT THE DUDE...
now the team has some adversity. let's see how they handle it. Tuel will be going up against a defense that has been kind of average for 2 years. The Bills have put up points with Fitz who just doesn't have the arm strength. they have an OC who kind of seems to know the value of CJ.

I am in no way saying this is ideal or even realistic to win. but if they do, that's a lot of momentum. and it gives the players a little belief in their coaching staff. Especially the vets who have seen this year after year and watched the team fold. if they have this kind of adversity and manage to pull out a win and EJ can be ready the following week, we will have dodged a big bullet

but i think the gilmore injury is truly the disaster.
a guy like brady is going to pick them apart with short passes. the bills will have to play man coverage and bump the hell out the receivers to hope that it disrupts timing and lets the blitz in. otherwise, the middle of the field will be open all day and it will be byrd and the other safety making tackles 12 yards after each play.

**** that, on the 1st drive a shot to his ****ing head will solve that real quick...

- - - Updated - - -

who says we have to play fair, the pats sure as hell dont

- - - Updated - - -

I would cheap shot brady a few times in the 1st half, try to knock his ass out

OpIv37
smells like a smoke screen to me. He never said Manuel wouldn't start, just said plan RIGHT NOW is for tuel to start. Added hopes Manuel will be ready.

A smoke screen to what end? Do you really think the Pats are going to prep any differently for Tuel than they would for EJ? There is not enough footage on either one to really make a difference.

sukie
08-26-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah... "Tool" around for Clowney!!!!!!!

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
yeah, it's not a smokescreen lol... there is nothing to hide

- - - Updated - - -

I like tuel, but the d will have to really play hard

trapezeus
08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
**** that, on the 1st drive a shot to his ****ing head will solve that real quick...

- - - Updated - - -

who says we have to play fair, the pats sure as hell dont

- - - Updated - - -

I would cheap shot brady a few times in the 1st half, try to knock his ass out

i hate brady as much as the next guy, but for a team with no depth, do you think the NFL will let a cheap shot go unpunished on their golden boy? so now we will miss yet another player in a position where we can't lose anyone.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:54 AM
maybe kolb makes a miraculous comeback, but I doubt it

X-Era
08-26-2013, 11:55 AM
maybe kolb makes a miraculous comeback, but I doubt itWith the protocols for concussions? Not happening.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:55 AM
i hate brady as much as the next guy, but for a team with no depth, do you think the NFL will let a cheap shot go unpunished on their golden boy? so now we will miss yet another player in a position where we can't lose anyone.

there is a very easy way to do it, where it's not obvious... a 1 second late hit which happens all the time man. again, a hit to the ****ing head, or dareus drilling his ass into the ground will end this **** real quick

justasportsfan
08-26-2013, 11:57 AM
planning could mean Tuel has to practice like he's starting. While I don't think Tuel is anything special, he might be the best option if Ej cant go.

trapezeus
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
and you believe the NFL will let this go unpunished? last year, kelsay hit brady on the run in WNY, he got a 15 yard penalty for a play that looked like a regular football play and he got fined.

an actual injury? this will get a suspension.

OpIv37
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
maybe kolb makes a miraculous comeback, but I doubt it

At this point I'd rather see Tuel than some joker like Kolb or Leinart. We know they suck. Tuel probably sucks too- there's a reason why no one drafted him- but I'd rather give him a shot and hope for the best than to with either of those two proven losers.

X-Era
08-26-2013, 12:00 PM
and you believe the NFL will let this go unpunished? last year, kelsay hit brady on the run in WNY, he got a 15 yard penalty for a play that looked like a regular football play and he got fined.

an actual injury? this will get a suspension.So send in a player we don't care that much about losing. Is McCargo out there to make a cameo?

:whistle:

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM

trapezeus
08-26-2013, 12:03 PM
At this point I'd rather see Tuel than some joker like Kolb or Leinart. We know they suck. Tuel probably sucks too- there's a reason why no one drafted him- but I'd rather give him a shot and hope for the best than to with either of those two proven losers.

i think if you see tuel look like he can hang in there and EJ is on track for week 2 recovery, Kolb and Leinart get cut.

my prediction in the "what is the absolute worst outcome that can occur in this scenario" Tuel plays lights out, we have another qb controversy. EJ comes back early, struggles, and then the bills go back to tuel. He struggles, gets hurt, ej goes back in and is rattled. both qb's get a littl ebetter at the end of the season soldifying yet another 6-10 season and putting us in the 8-13 spot of the draft. Cycle of suck continues indefinitely.

Forward_Lateral
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Why is this a shock? Kolb is out indefinitely, EJ is questionable. That leaves Tuel and Leinhart. Is there really any other option but to start Tuel? There's zero chance Leinhart will know much of the playbook by week 1, and even less of a chance he'll have any working chemistry with any of the offense.

If we were talking about just inserting a guy like Peyton Manning, ok, fine. But Matt Leinhart is a proven crappy QB and has done nothing but lose his entire career. I'd rather start Brad Smith and run the wild cat all game long.

- - - Updated - - -

i think if you see tuel look like he can hang in there and EJ is on track for week 2 recovery, Kolb and Leinart get cut.

my prediction in the "what is the absolute worst outcome that can occur in this scenario" Tuel plays lights out, we have another qb controversy. EJ comes back early, struggles, and then the bills go back to tuel. He struggles, gets hurt, ej goes back in and is rattled. both qb's get a littl ebetter at the end of the season soldifying yet another 6-10 season and putting us in the 8-13 spot of the draft. Cycle of suck continues indefinitely.

They aren't cutting Kolb and Leinhart. There's no way you go into week 1 with just Tuel and no backup.

trapezeus
08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Why is this a shock? Kolb is out indefinitely, EJ is questionable. That leaves Tuel and Leinhart. Is there really any other option but to start Tuel? There's zero chance Leinhart will know much of the playbook by week 1, and even less of a chance he'll have any working chemistry with any of the offense.

If we were talking about just inserting a guy like Peyton Manning, ok, fine. But Matt Leinhart is a proven crappy QB and has done nothing but lose his entire career. I'd rather start Brad Smith and run the wild cat all game long.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't cutting Kolb and Leinhart. There's no way you go into week 1 with just Tuel and no backup.

Frankly, some of these moves suggest how low brad smith is in the bills plans. he could be a cut to make room for better receivers. bills still seem to have 2-3 decent kick returners, which is the one position we relish to have depth.

brad smith not even getting Emergency qb duties strikes me as a sign he isn't making this team. i know he isn't really a good QB for a full game, but you'd think they'd go to him before signing a guy who has no idea what is happening on the team and has had a history of not caring, not being able to win, and flunked out of Oakland.

justasportsfan
08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Leinhart and Lewis are here just to finish off the last preseason game. If EJ can't go by the opener. Lienart will be here to back Tuel for that game.

Skooby
08-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Bingo, what's the problem?

Forward_Lateral
08-26-2013, 12:08 PM
I forgot about Lewis. I actually kind of hope they keep him over Leinart.

mayotm
08-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I hope the Bills handle all of this adversity better than Bills fans do.

Mr. Pink
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd rather see Lewis start week 1 if he can get any of the playbook down in time.

stuckincincy
08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

If they are smart -we will see - Marrone and Hackett and Pattine will keep their traps shut, their flys zipped up, play Teul is that's what they got, and play more or less basic NFL offense/defense sets.

They already ******ed evaluations with this new-boys-in-town-new wave stuff. IMO. Their OL is same-o...they just substituted no-huddle for the Fitz 3 second pass play.

Hope they right their ship - AFC East is pretty smelly to date. If a fellow in street was asked to rate the division's talent, they might say there's Brady, and, er, Spiller?

I'd like to see BUF run more or less standard stuff, certainly so with this rash of injuries.

Play a delaying action...

HAMMER
08-26-2013, 12:39 PM
What else can they plan for? With Manuels' status unknown it's all they can say/do. This team is going to get smoked week one, w/o Gilmore the blitzing will get exposed by Brady. An uptempo offense that doesn't sustain drives will further expose the D. It's gonna get ugly. We be Clownin for Clowney!

Bills Juggernaut
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Is it to early to start my "It's Tuel Time" tee shirt idea for the opener?

GingerP
08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Apprently, if Tuel starts he will be the first undrafted player in history to start his first career game. So, at worst they make history.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
What else can they plan for? With Manuels' status unknown it's all they can say/do. This team is going to get smoked week one, w/o Gilmore the blitzing will get exposed by Brady. An uptempo offense that doesn't sustain drives will further expose the D. It's gonna get ugly. We be Clownin for Clowney!

if we are picking number 1, that means ej blew balls, and we are taking manziel.... GET THE QB and then **** will change

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2013, 12:57 PM
if we are picking number 1, that means ej blew balls, and we are taking manziel.... GET THE QB and then **** will change

Manziel is not going 1st overall. Not even close

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Manziel is not going 1st overall. Not even close

then it will be whoever the top rated qb is lol

- - - Updated - - -

unless we hear the proverbial, " next years qb class is better", even though they are saying that now... christ

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Teddy Bridgewater >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manziel

Taj Boyd is also way better. And Murray.

Meathead
08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
this is no surprise. judge mh already told you that if ej isnt ready then tuel would be the starter with leinart and/or the black guy not named smith as the emergency backup(s)

paladin warrior
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Well Buffalo Bills have no choice. Only thing is pray E.J play in 1st open season . Plus I hate :btm:TOM B. :rock: ..

X-Era
08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
this is no surprise. judge mh already told you that if ej isnt ready then tuel would be the starter with leinart and/or the black guy not named smith as the emergency backup(s)
Dude, Black-guy-not-named-Smith has real talent...

Uncle Jesse
08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Even knowing nothing other than having more expedience and having won some games in this league, I would feel better with Leinart starting week 1 over Tuel.

Tuel will be like Brian Brohm, making an emergency start, hang on for the year after and eventually just be out of the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Leinhart and Lewis are here just to finish off the last preseason game. If EJ can't go by the opener. Lienart will be here to back Tuel for that game.

If Kolb is done, they'll keep Leinart for the rest of the year.

Meathead
08-26-2013, 01:23 PM
they all have talent or they wouldnt be there. but hes a fourth stringer for a reason. he will be released as soon as ej is ready to even hold a clipboard. they will keep leinart as the veteran presence. even if tuel starts against the cheaters he is the long term development project and will go back to qb3 as soon as ej is ready to play

PTI
08-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Tuel starting will certainly be unique. If he does start, he will be the first undrafted rookie QB in the common draft area (since 1967) to start a season opener according to the Elias Sports Bureau!!

Crazy stuff!!!

IlluminatusUIUC
08-26-2013, 01:27 PM
This is only a disaster to the goofnuts on this board who thought we were a playoff team. It doesn't matter which QB we started, we were going to lose to the Patriots unless Tom Brady had another 4 INT meltdown and that's not happening with a D playing its first live game together.

Meathead
08-26-2013, 01:35 PM
i factored in injuries when i said five wins. even if the entire starting lineup stayed healthy all year id still only say seven wins. this is a team whose youth means theyre likely to struggle to find ways to win but easily find ways to lose

you always hope for surprises but being realistic this is essentially practice season. as long as injuries arent season ending it just means those players get a couple fewer practice games before the real (next) season starts

and we might get to make history with tuel time!

PTI
08-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Bills win need huge Special teams game to have a chance to beat the Patriots. The turnovers from Brady would be nice. We have beat Brady twice, only, and both of those games he had 4 INTs!!!!!!!! Heck, we still almost lost the one 2 years ago still!

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
This is only a disaster to the goofnuts on this board who thought we were a playoff team. It doesn't matter which QB we started, we were going to lose to the Patriots unless Tom Brady had another 4 INT meltdown and that's not happening with a D playing its first live game together.

unless ej is really good like Wilson or rg3 or even close... can we just wait. god the cynicism in this town is sick. that's why carucci left this god damn place

IlluminatusUIUC
08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
unless ej is really good like Wilson or rg3 or even close... can we just wait. god the cynicism in this town is sick. that's why carucci left this god damn place

It's not cynicism, it's realism but you can't tell the difference from Homerland. This is a franchise that has been utterly dominated by the Pats for over a decade, with rookies at many crucial positions including head coach. To expect them to knock off one of the top teams in the league on opening day is a massive, massive leap.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
It's not cynicism, it's realism but you can't tell the difference from Homerland. This is a franchise that has been utterly dominated by the Pats for over a decade, with rookies at many crucial positions including head coach. To expect them to knock off one of the top teams in the league on opening day is a massive, massive leap.

realism implies proven reality. ej is a mystery, and so is the defense under pettine... ill wait, and be excited opening day eating my wings. go cry in your own beer

Tatonka
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
my take on this is that obviously EJ cant practice right now, so someone has to go out there with the ones.. that's Tuel.. at least until EJ is ready.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 01:49 PM
not to mention, any experienced fan knows crazy **** happens opening day...

The King
08-26-2013, 01:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap2000000234377/Tuel-named-Bills-starter-for-season-opener

Let's listen to the coaches exact words...

The King
08-26-2013, 01:50 PM
my take on this is that obviously EJ cant practice right now, so someone has to go out there with the ones.. that's Tuel.. at least until EJ is ready.
We have a winner!

WagonCircler
08-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Tuel time!!! Hahaha. I love it!

jamze132
08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Awesome...just ****ing awesome...

What's the big deal? We go from 4-12 to 2-14.

X-Era
08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Marrone: "Yesterday, EJ worked out ON THE FIELD".

IlluminatusUIUC
08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
realism implies proven reality. ej is a mystery, and so is the defense under pettine... ill wait, and be excited opening day eating my wings. go cry in your own beer

Brady curbstomping this team is plenty proven, he has a frankly absurd 20-2 record against us. And Pettine has coached a large chunk of his career in this division, so it's not like they will lack for ideas on how to attack defense missing it's #1 corner.

not to mention, any experienced fan knows crazy **** happens opening day...

Knowing crazy things happen and expecting crazy things to happen are two different things.

cookie G
08-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Awesome. Was Marrone crying at the time?

*Not sure everyone caught the reference.

The Natrix
08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Unless the 4th preseason game changes my mind, this is my preferred depth chart at QB for week one, assuming EJ is not a go:

1. Tuel
2. Lewis
3. Me
4. Ralph Wilson
5. Brad Smith
6. Leinart

The Patriots would have such an easy time going against Leinart due to the combo of his suckiness/the available tape on him/short prep time.

X-Era
08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Unless the 4th preseason game changes my mind, this is my preferred depth chart at QB for week one, assuming EJ is not a go:

1. Tuel
2. Lewis
3. Me
4. Ralph Wilson
5. Brad Smith
6. Leinart

The Patriots would have such an easy time going against Leinart due to the combo of his suckiness/the available tape on him/short prep time.Ralph has better feet than you so I like what he could do if the pocket breaks down. Sorry, Ralph over you.

PTI
08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Who is Jeff Tuel?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jeff-tuel-maybe-week-1-starter-vs-patriots-175523433.html

Mr. Pink
08-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Teddy Bridgewater >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manziel

Taj Boyd is also way better. And Murray.

Murray should have declared, he would have been the number 1 QB taken.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Brady curbstomping this team is plenty proven, he has a frankly absurd 20-2 record against us. And Pettine has coached a large chunk of his career in this division, so it's not like they will lack for ideas on how to attack defense missing it's #1 corner.

Knowing crazy things happen and expecting crazy things to happen are two different things.

did I say expect, no. I said this bills team is a complete mystery, and the previous record means ****. new year, new team... again, if im a betting man, yes, the pats probably win. but I have no clue, literally no clue how ej will be along with the d. seriously, as far as you know, ej could be the next dan marino. so, like I said lets wait and see and get excited. in other words, stop being a *****

X-Era
08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
"I'm planning on Tuel because he's the one out there practicing and obviously when we get EJ back things will change"

Night Train
08-26-2013, 04:21 PM
"I'm planning on Tuel because he's the one out there practicing and obviously when we get EJ back things will change"

"Ding,ding,ding ! We have a winner !"