• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Silver Linings After The Downpour of Today's Bad News

Everything happens for a reason.

When it rains bad news, it poured today on One Bills Drive. Literally.

Kolb has a concussion.

Gilmore is out for at least 5 games.

Spiller is attending to his family.

Coach Marrone says he's preparing Tuel to start.

Byrd is back, but not happy.

Talk about dealing with adversity. But if it's all dealt with in the right way this rainy day could soon help the Bills and make them a stronger team.

Did the Bills even have reliable backup QB before Kolb got hurt...again? What if Matt Leinart (who has connections with Hackett) performs better than Kolb did and easily picks up the offense and surprises everyone in the last preseason game? What if Tuel lights up the Lions?

Gilmore's injury is going to be a catalyst for finding out who will step up and become the Bills 2nd starting cornerback position, just like the backup QB. Whoever wins that position may have never gotten a shot if Gilmore didn't get hurt. With Gilmore out, Pettine won't be able to gamble as much.

Perhaps that is a good thing judging by the blitz packages I saw against the Skins'. There's a fine line between being aggressive, and playing smart, conservative defense.

If a DC is too aggressive, they often get burned. Thankfully, Pettine already knows how to deal with not having his number 1 cornerback on the field. (Revis.)

After scoring a touchdown and grasping his right knee, CJ Spiller probably had all kinds of thoughts running through his head about his career and family. After staring an entire season on the sidelines in the face, will the injury that never was result in a more inspired (given a second chance) CJ Spiller? CJ will be running with a heavy heart this year.

Marrone is preparing as if Tuel will start against the Pats, not knowing if EJ will be ready for opening day, forcing Bill Belichick to prepare for at least 2 QB's. Who does Belichick prepare for? Manuel? Tuel? Leinart?

Byrd might be chirping about business, but come game day he's going to be given a lot of responsibility, esp. with Gilmore being out. Byrd will be given the role he covets most by Pettine - MVP of the defense. If Byrd flourishes, he'll get his big contract.

If this downpour results in a good backup QB, a good 2nd starting cornerback, a more inspired CJ Spiller, a confused Bill Belichick, and a Jairus Byrd playing like Troy Polamalu in his prime....

Then I'm cool with the rain.

To end on a positive note, remember how the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls?

Mo Lewis.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Silver Linings After The Downpour of Today's Bad News

After 13 years of rain, I feel like Noah except he actually got to see the rain stop.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
      • May 2003

That's not just a silver lining...that's platinum!
      Send me some wings!

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Does that make you a homer/optimist that people are whining about on here? Optimism isn't accepted on this board. For shame BI!

Honestly though, it's a good way to look at things. I'd rather take what you said over the constant doom and gloom that I see.

The Bills suck and are snakebitten, blah blah blah, let's just hope for a good season and try to find the silver lining like was done here.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
          • Nov 2009

Everything happens for a reason...I don't know what that means, but it is one of those things that people say. I think the reasons are probably the events leading up to something happening, and not really a predestined plan. I don't know about the CJ running with a heavy heart, and I would guess the odds of Leinart being lights out are about the same as me starting on Opening Day. I like a little optimism as much as the next guy, but at least make it reasonable.

The developments over the last 24 hours have not been positive, and we have to grasp at straws to make them seem as such. The Bills were thin and I was going to say a miracle 8-8 team when they were healthy. They handled the Byrd situation wrong, in my opinion, and they are banged up with serious injuries and no depth going into a very difficult schedule. I don't see a reason to pretend that there is going to be some miracle happening. Maybe we find out what a few guys are made out of that we wouldn't have seen before, but it is likely going to look like a comedy. Unless you happen to be one of the people that takes football too seriously, then it is going to be a tragedy.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MTBillsFan View Post
            That's not just a silver lining...that's platinum!
            The prize for winning the Super Bowl? Seven pounds of sterling silver, handcrafted by jewelry icon Tiffany.

The prize for winning the Super Bowl is seven pounds of sterling silver, handcrafted by jewelry icon Tiffany.

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
              Everything happens for a reason.
              Terrific post.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by The King View Post
                Terrific post.
                All Bills fans kick puppies I guess.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

This is the biggest load of mind**** horse **** I've ever seen in my life. There is not a single ounce of realism or objectivity in it. It's simply a list of the least likely possible outcomes because that's what people want to hear.

I mean you people can't honestly believe that Bellicheck cares if he has to prep for EJ, Kolb or Leinart. He's made a career out of beating better QB's than that.

Sometimes there is no silver lining, and not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes things just suck. Grow a pair and deal with it.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    This is the biggest load of mind**** horse **** I've ever seen in my life. There is not a single ounce of realism or objectivity in it. It's simply a list of the least likely possible outcomes because that's what people want to hear.

I mean you people can't honestly believe that Bellicheck cares if he has to prep for EJ, Kolb or Leinart. He's made a career out of beating better QB's than that.

Sometimes there is no silver lining, and not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes things just suck. Grow a pair and deal with it.
                    You found a way to get directv around your neighbors tree, even though you thought that'd never happen. Just keep that simple example in mind, where there's a will / there's a way a Buffalo team will screw it up.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

The sun'll come out
                      Tomorrow
                      So ya gotta hang on
                      'Til tomorrow
                      Come what may
                      Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
                      I love ya Tomorrow!
                      You're always
                      A day
                      A way!

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

Honestly it's not all that likely to happen but it's a well articulated post, from someone who sees things differently from most of us. It's refreshing to see an outlook like this.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                          You found a way to get directv around your neighbors tree, even though you thought that'd never happen. Just keep that simple example in mind, where there's a will / there's a way a Buffalo team will screw it up.
                          Actually Mother Nature did that for me, and in the process ripped the cable and power lines right out of the back of my house. We had no Internet for 3 weeks and no power for over two weeks.

So I didn't get DTV around the tree- the tree physically isn't there anymore and it did a lot of damage when it came down.

Me getting DirecTV is little consolation for a storm that pulverized the region and did untold amounts of damage.
                          Last edited by OpIv37; 08-27-2013, 07:58 AM.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            Honestly it's not all that likely to happen but it's a well articulated post, from someone who sees things differently from most of us. It's refreshing to see an outlook like this.
                            It's not refreshing and it's not a different perspective. It's a mind ****- a degree of spin that would make Fox News proud. We'd be laughing if the Jets or Pats were in the exact same situations, but because it's the Bills and because the season technically isn't hosed yet, he's trying to make horrible situations sound like opportunities.

They're not- they're simply horrible situations. Again. They weren't opportunities before and they won't be opportunities this time either.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

I was all right for awhile
                              Jim Kelly made me smile
                              But I saw you last night
                              You held my hand so tight
                              As you stopped to say, "Hello"

Oh, you wished me well
                              You, you couldn't tell
                              That I'd been crying over you
                              Crying over you

When you said, "So long"
                              Left me standing all alone
                              Alone and crying, crying