PDA

View Full Version : Tuel's college coach: He's never really won any games

Skooby
08-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Since Bill Walsh's endorsement didn't work, now it's time for something completely different.

He's never really won any games,” Lead added, in reference to Tuel’s 4-22 record as a starter. And I think that doesn’t mean he’s a bad quarterback. . . . Despite the fact he hasn’t had a lot he needs to go out there and expect success. . . . He’s got a couple years where that wasn’t reinforced.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/26/leach-praises-tuel-but-admits-he-has-never-really-won-any-games/

SpikedLemonade
08-26-2013, 10:19 PM
LOL!!!!!

feldspar
08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Tuel: my college coach hasn't really won any games...

Scumbag College
08-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I know that in baseball if a starter has a bad W-L ratio but they keep him in the rotation that means that he has good stuff or just hasn't had much run support and the coaches really believe in him. Maybe Tuel has that W-L record and they kept him as a starter at WSU because he was pretty good and they didn't have the talent to compete with USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St., Arizona, Arizona St., etc.

****, let's just start the guy. Why kill the first round draft pick on Opening Day 3 weeks removed from knee surgery?

NOT THE DUDE...
08-26-2013, 11:03 PM
I know its a total cliché, and like a .00001% chance... but so many times ive seen nobodies come in at qb and light it up... who knows? lol

IlluminatusUIUC
08-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Mike Leach is a complete jackass. He's only at Wazzou because he went to the pmoon school of coaching and punished a kid for getting a concussion, getting him bounced from Texas Tech.

stuckincincy
08-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Mike Leach is a complete jackass. He's only at Wazzou because he went to the pmoon school of coaching and punished a kid for getting a concussion, getting him bounced from Texas Tech.

I forgot about him.

Here's CBS Sports' Rob Rang on Tuel:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/23333788/tuel-time-bills-starting-qb-struggled-vs-redskins

better days
08-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Recent events are like a scene from Young Frankenstein.

"could be worse..........could be raining"............ cue the Thunder.

Could be worse...................we could be Jets fans.

Uncle Jesse
08-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Tuel will be hanging out with Brian Brohm in no time.

trapezeus
08-27-2013, 10:32 AM
I know its a total cliché, and like a .00001% chance... but so many times ive seen nobodies come in at qb and light it up... who knows? lol

REally? so many times you've seen an undrafted QB come in and light it up. in a sample size of only undrafted QB's, can you name anyone other than kurt warner who came in and consistently won. I realize that's a high threshold, but who is the last undrafted QB who has played well. TJ yates? what are the other times you've seen nobodies come in and succeed.

you just make incredibly naive comments and then are stunned when people rip apart your comments.

as for the original post, why would a coach say that about his former qb?

GingerP
08-27-2013, 10:42 AM
REally? so many times you've seen an undrafted QB come in and light it up. in a sample size of only undrafted QB's, can you name anyone other than kurt warner who came in and consistently won. I realize that's a high threshold, but who is the last undrafted QB who has played well. TJ yates? what are the other times you've seen nobodies come in and succeed.

Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Warren Moon, Jake Delhomme, Dave Kreig.

trapezeus
08-27-2013, 10:48 AM

and none of these guys have been particularly consistent. They had their ups and downs. None have won a superbowl.

I'm not saying tuel can't have some success. i think he could be a very capable back up....it's just a very harsh environment for a rookie to be put in. perhaps why an undrafted rookie qb hasn't started a week 1 game since the 1950's.

NTD's nonchalance that it isn't a big deal is what is irritating. Tuel is essentially going to be thrown to the wolves (barring injury in the preseason or EJ recovery). And he's going to go against a team that has historically cheated their way into success.

Bill Cody
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
and none of these guys have been particularly consistent. They had their ups and downs. None have won a superbowl.

lol

Skooby
08-27-2013, 11:11 AM

I'm not saying tuel can't have some success. i think he could be a very capable back up....it's just a very harsh environment for a rookie to be put in. perhaps why an undrafted rookie qb hasn't started a week 1 game since the 1950's.

NTD's nonchalance that it isn't a big deal is what is irritating. Tuel is essentially going to be thrown to the wolves (barring injury in the preseason or EJ recovery). And he's going to go against a team that has historically cheated their way into success.

Not undrafted but Brady was selected with pick #199, a compensatory pick. I wouldn't consider him bound for greatness based on his selection, he's possibly one of the greatest that ever played.

GingerP
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Warner won a Super Bowl. Warner and Moon are both HOF'ers. Garcia was a consistent winner that threw for over 25,000 yards. Kreig was a consistent winner that threw for over 38,000 yards. Romo has put up big numbers and is probably a top-15 QB in the NFL right now, and Delhomme threw for over 20,000 yards and lead a team to a Super Bowl (and almost won).

Those are some pretty good players.

mrbojanglezs
08-27-2013, 12:58 PM
I listened to this interview, your thread title is taken out of context. he said that in a nice way basically saying he has a ton of upside but he hasn't won because he never had the chance to get in a rythm with injuries and changes on the team

better days
08-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Not to mention Tommy boy Brady who was a nobody as a 6th rnd pick.

better days
08-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Moon never won the Super Bowl, but he was a very consistent GOOD QB.

Skooby
08-27-2013, 01:07 PM
I listened to this interview, your thread title is taken out of context. he said that in a nice way basically saying he has a ton of upside but he hasn't won because he never had the chance to get in a rythm with injuries and changes on the team

His team went 4-22 with him as a starter, so he never really won any games is a very accurate statement.

trapezeus
08-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Warner won a Super Bowl. Warner and Moon are both HOF'ers. Garcia was a consistent winner that threw for over 25,000 yards. Kreig was a consistent winner that threw for over 38,000 yards. Romo has put up big numbers and is probably a top-15 QB in the NFL right now, and Delhomme threw for over 20,000 yards and lead a team to a Super Bowl (and almost won).

Those are some pretty good players.
out of how many QB's brought in each year by each team that isn't drafted. 5-7 players over a 20 year span when easily 100-150 undrafted rookies have been brought in at same time

Meathead
08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Not to mention Tommy boy Brady who was a nobody as a 6th rnd pick.

and still hasnt won one without cheating

i mean hes arguably the best ever but i just pray to dog that he never finally gets that untarnished trophy

Skooby
08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
out of how many QB's brought in each year by each team that isn't drafted. 5-7 players over a 20 year span when easily 100-150 undrafted rookies have been brought in at same time
The %'s are low, your point is understood.

GingerP
08-27-2013, 02:24 PM

How many QBs amount to what those guys did in any round after the first couple? Not many. However, it does happen on occasion.

trapezeus
08-27-2013, 02:44 PM
i guess it doesn't matter. it doesn't happen for us if we pick in the first round, we trade for them, we get them in the third, we get them undrafted, they all clinically suck with the exception of kelly and kemp.

so the good news is we just have to wait another 10 years

kingJofNYC
08-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Completely out of context.

This is Leach slamming Tuel's ex-coach. Not that I think Tuel is some world beater, but I also don't think Leach is calling him out or knocking him.

better days
08-27-2013, 03:59 PM
i guess it doesn't matter. it doesn't happen for us if we pick in the first round, we trade for them, we get them in the third, we get them undrafted, they all clinically suck with the exception of kelly and kemp.

so the good news is we just have to wait another 10 years

I would add Lamonica & Flutie to that list.

ZAZusmc03
08-28-2013, 12:51 AM
I just love reading NTD's responses to every thread. EVERY SINGLE player on the bills roster reminds him of a former or current pro bowl player. Its ****ing hysterical to think that there are really fans THAT delusional.

I stole better days WAY of typing to get my points ACROSS

Skooby
08-28-2013, 06:38 AM
I just love reading NTD's responses to every thread. EVERY SINGLE player on the bills roster reminds him of a former or current pro bowl player. Its ****ing hysterical to think that there are really fans THAT delusional.

I stole better days WAY of typing to get my points ACROSS

Hopefully, he's 100% right.

Beebe's Kid
08-28-2013, 11:19 AM
This argument is absurd. Even if we are going to consider Krieg, Delhomme, and Jeff Garcia as lighting it up (I would have loved to see reactions if the Bills had brought any of them in to solve the QB situation...there would have been a record setting use of the word 'stopgap') the point is that doesn't happen.

Just for ****s and giggles...did any of them win 4 games in college? The point was that the Dude made the same sort of statement that he has made in nearly every other thread on this board. One that is unabashed homerism, which is fine...that is how he gets down...but it isn't very realistic to assume that Tuel will start to win football games at the NFL level. To sit and make an argument against what Trap said, especially in light of how he responded to Dude, is disingenuous.

That being said I was a big Warren Moon fan. I just don't know if there is reason to think that Tuel is going to be Warren Moon...I mean not until after the Detroit game, anyways. Then...anything is possible, and I hope that we have the next Jeff Garcia on our hands.