• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

How much should Tuel play on Thursday?

This is a tough one- Tuel is the only healthy QB who knows the playbook. Lewis and Leinart will have 3 days to learn it at best.

But he's also our potential Day 1 starter if EJ isn't ready. Tuel needs the snaps but how much should we risk him in a meaningless game?

I'd almost rather throw in Brad Smith and run wildcat as the base offense.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: How much should Tuel play on Thursday?

The whole game.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

He should play no longer than the first quarter but less if he's running for his life.

Let Leinart play the 2nd/3rd, Thad take the 4th.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
        He should play no longer than the first quarter but less if he's running for his life.

Let Leinart play the 2nd/3rd, Thad take the 4th.
        Leinart has been on the team for two minutes. We are trying to evaluate some of the players to see whether they should make the roster. Playing Leinart isn't conducive to that end. He'd be drawing plays in the dirt out there.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
          • Oct 2002

Nome and bubble wrap him for extra precautionary measures. Its amazing that the QB position is now down to "which one will suck less".

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
            Leinart has been on the team for two minutes. We are trying to evaluate some of the players to see whether they should make the roster. Playing Leinart isn't conducive to that end. He'd be drawing plays in the dirt out there.
            I fully understand what you are saying here and I don't disagree, but how do you balance that with the risk of the only healthy QB on the roster getting hurt in a meaningless game?

If its a regular season game that counted in the standings, you have to do everything you can to win. That means playing Tuel and hoping for the best with injuries. In preseason, we have to stop and think about the risk to the regular season.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PTI
              Banned
              • Jan 2011

Maybe the first 2 or 3 drives and that is it.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

assuming ej is going to be ready to start against the cheaters, itdepends on who the official backup is

if its leinart then he needs to play with the ones and then through the first qtr at least. tuel goes back to pitching to the scrubs

if tuel is the qb2 then it gets reversed
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Ed
                  Dude
                  • Sep 2002

Tuel should get as many reps as possible because he needs them. Our chances of beating the Pats with Tuel at QB are already so slim, it does absolutely nothing for us if he goes into the game less experienced and less prepared. You just can't replicate live action against another team in practice, so this last preseason game is probably the best opportunity for him to develop a little more. If he gets hurt than so be it. He could get hurt playing the Pats and then we're in the same situation except Leinart or whoever won't have gotten any practice reps the week before. Tuel is an undrafted rookie backup that would probably be on the PS if Kolb hadn't gotten hurt. There's just no reason to be so cautious with him. It's ok to take some risks to give yourself a better chance to win.

I still believe EJ is going to start week 1, so I think a lot of this is moot anyway.

Comment

• Thurmal
                    • Oct 2005

He should probably play as little as possible. Three or four drives sounds about right.

I would like to see Leinart get some serious playing time, as he might have to come off the bench in the NE game if things are getting out of hand.
                    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      I fully understand what you are saying here and I don't disagree, but how do you balance that with the risk of the only healthy QB on the roster getting hurt in a meaningless game?

If its a regular season game that counted in the standings, you have to do everything you can to win. That means playing Tuel and hoping for the best with injuries. In preseason, we have to stop and think about the risk to the regular season.
                      I agree Op. The playbook for Leinart will be like a primer but so what in preseason. So he has 14 plays to run instead of 30. Run them well, throw the ball well, hand the ball off cleanly.

I have said the Bills would have won more games last year with better defense even with Fitz at QB. I think Kolb was at least as good as Fitz so I thought the Bills could win with him.

But who knows? Leinert while a first rnd bust may be at least as good as both Kolb & Fitz. In any event I will be surprised if EJ is not under Center against the Pats*.

Comment

• Gilly
                        Go Sabres!!
                        • Sep 2012

Tuel should play 2.5 quarters...

Everyone needs to stop being afraid. If an injury happens, it happens...

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

totally up to his performance.

If he comes out and looks decent in two series, that's enough.
                          if he struggles and has time to throw, keep playing him.
                          if he struggles and it's a feeding frenzy out there, you might still want to pull him. The lions came after brady in their preseason game, so they can bring it.

To me, you have to feel this out based on the game. And for the other players trying to make the team on offense, you just tell them that you know playing a game with two new QB's the entire game isn't fair to them and you weigh that in your decision. but ultimately, it's not one game that decides your fate and adversity is part of the game. if you can make it easier on a qb with little knowledge of the playbook, that helps you significantly.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

WWRRD
                            (what would Rex Ryan Do)

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Sell Local Ralph View Post
                              WWRRD
                              (what would Rex Ryan Do)
                              Play EJ.
                              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

Working...
                              X