PDA

View Full Version : In Retrospect

trapezeus
08-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Knowing what we know now (i.e., the bills don't sing byrd, don't use their cap space) wouldn't it have just been better to keep fitz one more year? We know he is durable (or plays through injury) and is a good student of the game. granted the bills may know best on if fitz would have wanted to be in such a competition.

without signing others and being close to the cap, i think it might have been better to just eat another year in his contract since we are eating a large portion of it without him on the team.

chances are ej still performs as he does and looks like a good option, and the bills have a reliable qb to back up EJ.

justasportsfan
08-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Fitz IMO would have easily grasped the X and O's of Marrone and HAcketts system. He still would've made Goodwin and TJ cringe with those deep balls.

GingerP
08-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Knowing what we know now (i.e., the bills don't sing byrd, don't use their cap space) wouldn't it have just been better to keep fitz one more year? We know he is durable (or plays through injury) and is a good student of the game. granted the bills may know best on if fitz would have wanted to be in such a competition.

without signing others and being close to the cap, i think it might have been better to just eat another year in his contract since we are eating a large portion of it without him on the team.

chances are ej still performs as he does and looks like a good option, and the bills have a reliable qb to back up EJ.

Unless he took a paycut, I can't see it. He was due $7.45M if they kept him ($3M roster bonus, $4.25M salary, $200K workout bonus), which is too expensive for a "veteran" to help your young QB's along.

You'd have a better argument with Jackson.

jdaltroy5
08-27-2013, 11:25 AM
It wasn't about the money.

They had to get rid of him because he was the face of a failed regime.

Skooby
08-27-2013, 11:35 AM

They had to get rid of him because he was the face of a failed regime. Fitz was a failure, period.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-27-2013, 11:40 AM

They had to get rid of him because he was the face of a failed regime.

More specifically, they had to get rid of him because our GM got pranked into trashing him on what turned into a nationally released phone call.

But no, IMO the fault was not with cutting Fitz, the fault was not eating the entire cap hit this season. As it stands we are rolling a large chunk into next season for absolutely no good reason.

jdaltroy5
08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
More specifically, they had to get rid of him because our GM got pranked into trashing him on what turned into a nationally released phone call.

But no, IMO the fault was not with cutting Fitz, the fault was not eating the entire cap hit this season. As it stands we are rolling a large chunk into next season for absolutely no good reason.
So we could have the cap space to sign Levitre and Byrd to long term contracts.

Duh.

trapezeus
08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
i get how it all ended up playing out and i agree fitz was the face of failure, and with the brandon regime just moving chairs on the titanic the last several years, we would have had zero trust that they would get it right with fitz and EJ.

but having seen marrone and getting the intial sense that he rewards good play and doesn't play the politics too much, the time wasted getting kolb and giving up two QB's who normally don't sit out due to injury seems misguided.

i also get that it was good to have a competition for EJ, vs just handing it to him, but the competition was pretty weak thus far.

i have no idea what hte point of my post really was other than to just hate that 1 week before the start of the season things look very dire.

Skooby
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
i get how it all ended up playing out and i agree fitz was the face of failure, and with the brandon regime just moving chairs on the titanic the last several years, we would have had zero trust that they would get it right with fitz and EJ.

but having seen marrone and getting the intial sense that he rewards good play and doesn't play the politics too much, the time wasted getting kolb and giving up two QB's who normally don't sit out due to injury seems misguided.

i also get that it was good to have a competition for EJ, vs just handing it to him, but the competition was pretty weak thus far.

i have no idea what hte point of my post really was other than to just hate that 1 week before the start of the season things look very dire.
Welcome to 13 years a running.

PTI
08-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Fitz does play through injury.................he was hurt the hurt the whole time he was here and he was horrible.

Well, the real hurt time people claim he was hurt, he was really bad. I would rather have a below average QB who is hurt and plays awful when hurt not play.

Yasgur's Farm
08-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Trouble is... If we had kept him... In addition to whatever salary and bonus he receoved in 2012, we'd still need to account for $8M cap hit for amortized stuff in 2014... $6M in 2015... $4M in 2016... etc.

better days
08-27-2013, 10:15 PM

Actually it was Fitz's decision. The Bills asked him to take a pay cut & he refused to do that.