PDA

View Full Version : We're #1!!

imbondz
08-28-2013, 04:55 PM
The 10 worst current NFL QB situations

It’s got to be pretty nice to be Mike McCarthy right now. The Green Bay Packers coach heads into the regular season with his quarterback position securely in the hands of three-time Pro Bowler Aaron Rodgers. Thanks to injuries and bad personnel decisions, many of his coaching peers don’t have that same comfort level.
With one preseason game left to play, we present our first edition of the reverse NFL quarterback rankings, highlighting the most tenuous situations behind center as teams head into the regular season.

1. Jeff Tuel, Buffalo Bills
For all we know, the undrafted rookie from Washington State (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/jeff-tuel-buffalo-bills-wikipedia/) could end up being the next Kurt Warner. But that’s probably unlikely. Tuel looks to be the Bills’ Week 1 starter unless first-round pick EJ Manuel can recover from knee surgery by next week.

2. Rex Ryan’s surprise starter, New York Jets
Mark Sanchez? Geno Smith? A newly-signed Graham Harrell? Rex Ryan isn’t in a hurry to make a decision (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/08/26/mark-sanchez-geno-smith-no-decision-on-starter-yet/2703127/). Whoever it is, it’s not likely to go well.

3. Terrelle Pryor, Oakland Raiders
The former Ohio State star will start the team’s final preseason game Thursday and looks to have an edge over Matt Flynn at this point after a strong performance against the Chicago Bears (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/raiders/2013/08/24/oakland-raiders-quarterback-controversy-matt-flynn-terrelle-pryor/2696255/) last week. There’s no questioning his athletic ability, but can he be effective when it matters?

4. Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville Jaguars
Gabbert fractured his thumb in his second preseason game but did enough to win the starting job before that (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jaguars/2013/08/19/blaine-gabbert-named-starting-quarterback/2670759/). He’s struggled mightily in his first two seasons but there’s hope that new offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch can help improve the 2011 first-round pick’s 53.8% career completion percentage.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/reverse-nfl-quarterback-rankings-jeff-tuel-new-york-jets/

Night Train
08-28-2013, 04:58 PM
yawn

Skooby
08-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd probably take Tuel over Sanchez because Tuel is going to be a back-up soon one way or the other while Sanchez should remain the starter, advantage Bills.

DunkCityFan
08-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Rex should be fired for how he's developed Sanchez. Dude looked so much better years ago.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
yawn

Surely your boredom is not clouding your ability to see the truth.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2013, 05:20 PM
I'd probably take Tuel over Sanchez because Tuel is going to be a back-up soon one way or the other while Sanchez should remain the starter, advantage Bills.

I find these "at least we are not the Jets" posts so comforting.

Thank GOD for fantasy football this year.

Meathead
08-28-2013, 06:02 PM

i dont even understand this and i still like it

imbondz
08-28-2013, 06:57 PM

lol. agreed

PromoTheRobot
08-28-2013, 07:25 PM
What happens when EJ starts anyway?

Goobylal
08-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Perception versus reality. We'll see which is which.

Beebe's Kid
08-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Laugh now, but when Tuel is the next Dave Krieg...never mind.

Skooby
08-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Being stuck on a hump is still stuck, we're not.

imbondz
08-28-2013, 08:13 PM
What happens when EJ starts anyway?

then we drop from 1 to 5?

feldspar
08-28-2013, 10:21 PM

I wouldn't be too sure that Tuel has any kind of career in the NFL ahead of him. Dunno why people assume that. The truth is that he's actually damn lucky to be given this opportunity as a result of injuries to the other QBs; that is, he's lucky IF he can make the most of it.

I mean, the guy is an undrafted rookie quarterback. He looked really good against Indy's scrubs...and Indy doesn't have the best defense to begin with. He looked FAR from impressive against Washington; in fact, he didn't look good at all. I'd say that the odds of him fizzling out and going nowhere far exceed his chances of being some kind of incredible Cinderella story. People love an underdog, though, and the unknown commodity is often given more credit than he deserves.

better days
08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't be too sure that Tuel has any kind of career in the NFL ahead of him. Dunno why people assume that. The truth is that he's actually damn lucky to be given this opportunity as a result of injuries to the other QBs; that is, he's lucky IF he can make the most of it.

I mean, the guy is an undrafted rookie quarterback. He looked really good against Indy's scrubs...and Indy doesn't have the best defense to begin with. He looked FAR from impressive against Washington; in fact, he didn't look good at all. I'd say that the odds of him fizzling out and going nowhere far exceed his chances of being some kind of incredible Cinderella story. People love an underdog, though, and the unknown commodity is often given more credit than he deserves.

Well, I have been checking out the Pats* boards & Pats* fans think Tuel has looked better than Mallett in preseason.

Yeah, I know that's not saying much.

feldspar
08-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Well, I have been checking out the Pats* boards & Pats* fans think Tuel has looked better than Mallett in preseason.

Yeah, I know that's not saying much.

IMO, Tuel remains a project and a bubble player. That's OK though, because he ain't the guy we are investing in...Manuel is that guy. The backup QB won't save us no matter who he is. I don't think Kolb is planning on retiring at this time either, so it'll be interesting to see how this all pans out for that spot. Kolb is insurance against Manuel. Tuel is insurance against Kolb. Leinart is a last ditch-effort for the worst case scenario. Thad Lewis is a practice arm and as good as gone very soon.

But Manuel is the guy, period...for better or worse.

BuffaloRedleg
08-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Listen all I know is that if we win it might go down as one of the biggest regular season upsets in NFL history. At least we have that going for us. I would lose my mind and so would the rest of the NFL.

better days
08-29-2013, 07:48 AM
IMO, Tuel remains a project and a bubble player. That's OK though, because he ain't the guy we are investing in...Manuel is that guy. The backup QB won't save us no matter who he is. I don't think Kolb is planning on retiring at this time either, so it'll be interesting to see how this all pans out for that spot. Kolb is insurance against Manuel. Tuel is insurance against Kolb. Leinart is a last ditch-effort for the worst case scenario. Thad Lewis is a practice arm and as good as gone very soon.

But Manuel is the guy, period...for better or worse.

I agree, but it Leinart plays well tonight against the Lions, I would not be surprised to see the Bills keep him over Kolb & give Kolb an injury settlement & cut him.