PDA

View Full Version : How important is it for EJ to start vs. the Pats?

X-Era
08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Is it just one game?

Is it critical to be competitive vs. the Pats to get the season off right?

Is it critical for EJ to start the whole season?

I can't exactly put my finger on why I feel it's really important but I do. I mean it is just one game. But, it could be a tone setter. It could give us faith in Manuel as our leader. It could get the team rallied behind him and ready to play serious football. I don't feel it's likely that we'll win either way. But, if we make a real competition out of it the team may do way better the rest of the season.

I think Tuel will be over-matched. But, really it doesn't matter that much if he does play well. EJ will be our guy when healthy; Marrone has already stated that. I'd like Tuel to play well if he's the starter. But, I want the future to start now.

I want the kid to start.

justasportsfan
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
If he is 100% fit to play, his legs can be a weapon. If not, sit him. We're running CJ amd FJ all day anyways regardless of who the qb is. The PAts overmatch qb's that are seasoned vets so it doesn't matter if EJ or Tuel is back there. BB will play with their head.

Night Train
08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
It's game one of a new adm. This team is a whole is a long term project/rebuild that Marrone/Whaley must fix.

If Manuel is healthy, great...but don't rush him at all. I don't expect anything form the Bills this year other than to develop an actual direction after sailing in cirlcles for 13 + years.

trapezeus
08-29-2013, 09:39 AM
its hard as a fan to make a call. we really don't know the level of EJ's injury. if i was marrone i would listen to the doctors. it was a minor procedure. if they have wanted him to rest the entire time (which you can kind of guess since they brough in TWO qbs), then he isn't practicing and timing well with others.

if the docs are saying, "he could be ready to run at the start of the pats week" i would keep him sat. there is no point in having him come out to high expectations, struggle at home vs a team the fans are salvating to beat and have him just not have the timing.

if the docs are saying, "he should be practicing tomorrow (Aug 30)" then i think he should get the chance to start. And i'd be fine with marrone playing the cat and mouse game by not saying anything about EJ's status.

If this injury didn't happen, i really think the bills had a lot riding on this game to make a statement and distance itself from old regimes. Lose here and i think a lot of expectations start looking back ot the old "3 years to rebuild"

Meathead
08-29-2013, 09:42 AM
personally id prefer to see tuel start just for the novelty. ejs gonna get his chance regardless so it would be cool to remember that time the udfa qb started the season ... and won hahaha hey it could happen

manuel will likely play tho and other than lucky turnovers the only way the bills pull this one off is if he does something unexpected, like rushing for a hundred or running for three tds (probably will need both lol)

my expectations are so low that this game is only really important if im wrong and they surprise everybody this season. even a win to start out doesnt really mean squat, id still expect them to win no more than five or six games. so whether ej starts or not is probably not important in the long run

Jaybird
08-29-2013, 09:44 AM
the way to beat the past is pressure.. something we will be doing all game. The jest owned the pats a few years back because of D. if you get to Brady then you have a chance.

In my opinion no matter who is at QB the D will need to win it for the Bills

better days
08-29-2013, 09:45 AM
its hard as a fan to make a call. we really don't know the level of EJ's injury. if i was marrone i would listen to the doctors. it was a minor procedure. if they have wanted him to rest the entire time (which you can kind of guess since they brough in TWO qbs), then he isn't practicing and timing well with others.

if the docs are saying, "he could be ready to run at the start of the pats week" i would keep him sat. there is no point in having him come out to high expectations, struggle at home vs a team the fans are salvating to beat and have him just not have the timing.

if the docs are saying, "he should be practicing tomorrow (Aug 30)" then i think he should get the chance to start. And i'd be fine with marrone playing the cat and mouse game by not saying anything about EJ's status.

If this injury didn't happen, i really think the bills had a lot riding on this game to make a statement and distance itself from old regimes. Lose here and i think a lot of expectations start looking back ot the old "3 years to rebuild"

I think that is pretty much how Marrone sees it. If EJ can't practice by Monday, I doubt he plays against the Pats*

I think tonights game may determine who the starter will be against the Pats*, Tuel or Leinart.

justasportsfan
08-29-2013, 09:45 AM
I would have Tuel or EJ to throw deep to either TJ or Goodwin in the first series. If we hit on any one of those throws ,that would be a confidence booster for the qb and would open things up for CJ and Stevie/Wood up the middle.

Defensively, have Kiko hit Marsha on the first defensive snap even if it merits a flag. That'll have Brady cross his legs to protect his vajayjay all day.

better days
08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
the way to beat the past is pressure.. something we will be doing all game. The jest owned the pats a few years back because of D. if you get to Brady then you have a chance.

In my opinion no matter who is at QB the D will need to win it for the Bills

I agree. The only chance the Bills have to win this game is the way Detroit won the last game against the Pats*, pressure, turnovers & the defense putting points on the board.

Pinkerton Security
08-29-2013, 09:50 AM
I have to say theres a large dropoff in talent between Manuel and Tuel, however in the grand scheme of things, we're unlikely to win, and unlikely to do very well this year - no need to rush Manuel. I really do like the way we;re headed but make no mistake, we're rebuilding, and its gonna take at least another year.

better days
08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
I have to say theres a large dropoff in talent between Manuel and Tuel, however in the grand scheme of things, we're unlikely to win, and unlikely to do very well this year - no need to rush Manuel. I really do like the way we;re headed but make no mistake, we're rebuilding, and its gonna take at least another year.

If you are saying it will take another year to make the playoffs, I think you are right.

But I expect this team to be competitive & entertaining this year with a chance to win any given game any week...................well maybe not week one.

trapezeus
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
what's crazy is that the pats could really be as bad as the other AFC teams this year. so there is a chance we could beat them. Think cleveland/bills 6-3 snooze fest.

though if the bills win 6-3 vs the pats, i will cheer like it was a superbowl win.

gr8slayer
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Very, I just beat the Patriots 43-24 in Madden with him as the starter.

kishoph
08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
It's his 1st NFL game in what hopefully will be a long successful career, if there's is any chance of him doing more damage to the injury (what ever it is), the game is not worth the risk.

justasportsfan
08-29-2013, 10:27 AM
what's crazy is that the pats could really be as bad as the other AFC teams this year. so there is a chance we could beat them. Think cleveland/bills 6-3 snooze fest.

though if the bills win 6-3 vs the pats, i will cheer like it was a superbowl win.

If we have any chance of winning this game, it's all going to be on the shoulders of our running game and D regardless of who starts at qb.

Meathead
08-29-2013, 10:51 AM
the cheaters could fill a roster full of girls from the buffalo roller derby league and still win ten games as long as marcia is throwing

BidsJr
08-29-2013, 11:03 AM
I think he needs to start the game period.

Even if he hands off the entire game and we get whipped 60-0, I want him to start.

I want him and this entire team to despise the Patriots as much as the Bills hated the Dolphins in the 80's and if getting his ass kicked week one handing off to CJ then that is what I want to see.

I want him to see first hand on the field, in the game how far he and the rest of the team has to go to be a championship team.

MikeInRoch
08-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Not important in the least.

GingerP
08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Very, I just beat the Patriots 43-24 in Madden with him as the starter.

I think the coaching staff should use this method for making decisions as well.