PDA

View Full Version : PFT: NFL reaches $765 million settlement in concussion lawsuit...

gr8slayer
08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/nfl-reaches-765-million-settlement-in-concussion-lawsuit/

In a dramatic development staving off what could have been years of costly litigation, the NFL has settled lawsuits brought by thousands of former players over brain injuries suffered on the field.

Lone Stranger
08-29-2013, 12:02 PM
I wonder how much the attorneys made?

stuckincincy
08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
I wonder how much the attorneys made?

A bundle, I'm sure.

Whatever...like all business expenses, wage rises, taxes, etc., it will be passed on to the end purchaser. That's how the market works.

MikeInRoch
08-29-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised the number is that low.

gr8slayer
08-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Does the NFL ever lose in a dispute?
I'm surprised the number is that low.

OpIv37
08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Good for the ex players.

I just wonder how $765 million is going to make the NFL wussify the game even further to avoid this happening again.

gr8slayer
08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
The game is about a decade away from becoming completely unwatchable.
Good for the ex players.

I just wonder how $765 million is going to make the NFL wussify the game even further to avoid this happening again.

trapezeus
08-29-2013, 01:17 PM
are future players who have brain injuries covered under this settlement? and are you all ready for 20% increases in NFL ticket and actual game day tickets and $50 for a t-shirt? Those days are just around the corner. becaues the guy making 25MM a year as the commissioner and ****ing destroys the tapes of the biggest scandal in league history doesn't have a dime to spare.

stuckincincy
08-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Good for the ex players.

Lem Barney:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/18/sports/la-sp-sn-lem-barney-20130618

Lem Barney after your pals got to him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22444605/hall-of-famer-lem-barney-sorry-for-deadly-comments

coastal
08-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Hockey is way cooler anyways.

sukie
08-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Good for the ex players.

Seems to me that the fines for "going high" when tackling are destined to cause guys more and more to go "low" and I predict many many more knee injuries. I would bet that players would rahter take a chance on a concussion rahter than a knee blowout. I would .

PTI
08-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Seems to me that the fines for "going high" when tackling are destined to cause guys more and more to go "low" and I predict many many more knee injuries. I would bet that players would rahter take a chance on a concussion rahter than a knee blowout. I would .

Defense gets 12 players on the field but cannot go low or high!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Seriously, knees will be next.

stuckincincy
08-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Not since after the strike and all the rule changes it isn't. What a shell of its former self...so sad.

DraftBoy
08-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Hockey won't be far behind either.

DetDannyWilliams
08-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Joe D was one of the players who spearheaded the fight in the process and get a negotiation hammered out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVnf3HUZpOA

Johnny Bugmenot
08-30-2013, 06:11 AM
And yet Joe D isn't happy. He said "money is nice, but I'd rather have health insurance." Well, that proves how much brain damage he really has, because 1) money buys health insurance, and 2) he's two years away from qualifying for Medicare anyway.

nolimit
08-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Why can't the NFL just have entering players sign a waiver...they are fully aware of the risks involved....you want to make millions....you have to take a risk....some will....others won't...simple.

Mike
08-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Why can't the NFL just have entering players sign a waiver...they are fully aware of the risks involved....you want to make millions....you have to take a risk....some will....others won't...simple.

Well basically this is the case now. Players know how dangerous it is. Before, players did not know and the NFL actively hid it, which is why they had to pay out a big settlement.

The problem going forward is NOT getting players to play... The players are ready to play now and will be in the future. The REAL problem is many parents will NOT allow their kids to play Football knowing it can cause concussions. This is the real problem, parents saying NO to football.

DraftBoy
08-30-2013, 05:57 PM
And yet Joe D isn't happy. He said "money is nice, but I'd rather have health insurance." Well, that proves how much brain damage he really has, because 1) money buys health insurance, and 2) he's two years away from qualifying for Medicare anyway.

The amount of money each player will receive in the end may pay for one year of insurance. He's 100% right the insurance would of been far better.

The Popcorn
08-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Joe D has every right to be unhappy. 4500 players divided into that sum of money equals about what, 170k? A lot of these NFL players were not able to get a health insurance reasonable enough to be treated properly. A lot of these players went untreated. To Joe D and the other 4500 players, it wasn't about money. It was about being treated properly after the sacrifices they made to bring the NFL where it is today.

ckg927
08-31-2013, 05:05 PM
While we're on this subject, you might want to take a look at Dave Zirin's latest article-which talks about the settlement.

This is best described as a "scorched earth" column. NO ONE is safe from Zirin's wrath. Not the NFL. And certainly not the ass-kissers we call reporters and talking heads. So please put some protection on before you click the link

And one more thing: When you see exactly how much the players will be getting, you will weep.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175977/nfl-concussion-deal-rotten-all-sides/