PDA

View Full Version : Will EJ Manuel Start Game One?

BillsImpossible
08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
That is the BIG question of the next 9 days. I expect Doug Marrone to say it will be a, "game time decision," by Thursday.

Will he start? Will he be the backup?

I think Marrone is going to start Tuel, play it by ear, and then put EJ in on the third offensive series after Tuel fails to score any points.

How's that for a curve ball? If the Bills D can hold the Pats to two field goals or less after Tuel's first two drives, then I think Marrone will pull the trigger and put his rookie QB in the game.

Marrone is a very calculated coach, he thinks 4 or 5 steps ahead and plans everything.

If Tuel starts the game, puts up points and does a better than expected job, then Marrone has the luxury of leaving the kid in.

But that's not likely to happen. There is an advantage to not starting EJ Manuel, and then putting him in the game if necessary.

A young rookie QB in front of a crazy loud crowd, adrenaline pumping, butterflies in the stomach, huge expectations, and the game kicks off.

Tuel gets the start. Rookie paces and waits patiently. Butterflies calm down while watching on the sidelines. The crowd settles in to the game.

Timing is everything.

Bangarang
08-29-2013, 08:31 PM
This definitely needed another thread. Subscribed.

Skooby
08-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Yes.

BillsImpossible
08-29-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't think EJ will get the start. Why? Probably because Doug Marrone has watched every single rookie quarterback's game tape who has ever started in the season opener over the past 20 years. He's been around the game long enough to know that rookie quarterbacks don't do very well in their first two or three series of real NFL game time experience.

Even if Manuel is healthy enough to start, I have a feeling that Marrone will put Tuel in for the first couple of offensive drives, wait for the game to settle down after the big jolt of adrenaline, let EJ watch the game up close and see what the defense is doing, and then jump into the water.

better days
08-29-2013, 09:08 PM
If EJ practices on Monday, he will start PERIOD.

kingJofNYC
08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes.

This franchise is incompetent and poorly run. Throwing a raw rookie QB head first into the fire against a rival who has owned us for a decade is exactly the sort of thing they would do.

better days
08-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes.

This franchise is incompetent and poorly run. Throwing a raw rookie QB head first into the fire against a rival who has owned us for a decade is exactly the sort of thing they would do.

I did not realize Marrone has been the HC for the last decade. Thanks for letting me in on that.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2013, 09:51 PM
If EJ can play, he'll start.

That simple.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-29-2013, 10:51 PM
That is the BIG question of the next 9 days. I expect Doug Marrone to say it will be a, "game time decision," by Thursday.

Will he start? Will he be the backup?

I think Marrone is going to start Tuel, play it by ear, and then put EJ in on the third offensive series after Tuel fails to score any points.

How's that for a curve ball? If the Bills D can hold the Pats to two field goals or less after Tuel's first two drives, then I think Marrone will pull the trigger and put his rookie QB in the game.

Marrone is a very calculated coach, he thinks 4 or 5 steps ahead and plans everything.

That is a clever strategy (and an effective one if memory serves me well... although probably not the kind that your typical NFL head coach does. Conventional wisdom is still king, and I doubt he is going to do that much of a misdirection.

I do suspect, however, that you are right in that Marrone will make Manuel a GTD regardless of where his knee is.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Yes.

The choice here is between a raw rookie QB and an even more raw rookie QB. The veterans we had both stunk... hence why they were on the free agent market before the Bills signed them.