PDA

View Full Version : Could we trade Byrd for a CB?

The King
08-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Look, I don't know what's up with Byrds foot and if that's legit or not. But we know he doesn't want to be here and that he has value. We also know we have zero depth at CB.

I can't say trading a safety for a corner back is a very common move. But even if it was for a mid-level corner and a pick, I would think it would be worth looking at. With or without Gilmore CB is a weak link on this defense.

lightningbolt444
08-30-2013, 07:48 AM
I also agree. I think some overvalue Byrd when compared to a CB you are not going to get a top level CB for him but you could get a very good Mid CB and perhaps a late pick which in my mind would be worth doing.

One thing to take into account if the Bills make Byrd the highest paid Safety in the league and CJ Spiller comes up for his contract if he keeps improving could very well demand to be the highest paid RB. Now I have no problem spending money to keep our own in fact we need to. But if this team is just going to continue to lose I dont know as an owner how you can justify having two of the highest paid players at their position on this team.

Skooby
08-30-2013, 07:53 AM
We tried calling teams to gauge Byrd's value, dial tones is all we heard after Nix told them what we wanted.

The King
08-30-2013, 07:55 AM
We tried calling teams to gauge Byrd's value, dial tones is all we heard after Nix told them what we wanted.
They probably thought they were being recorded.

Skooby
08-30-2013, 07:58 AM
They probably thought they were being recorded. LOL, good point.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 08:26 AM
I also agree. I think some overvalue Byrd when compared to a CB you are not going to get a top level CB for him but you could get a very good Mid CB and perhaps a late pick which in my mind would be worth doing.

One thing to take into account if the Bills make Byrd the highest paid Safety in the league and CJ Spiller comes up for his contract if he keeps improving could very well demand to be the highest paid RB. Now I have no problem spending money to keep our own in fact we need to. But if this team is just going to continue to lose I dont know as an owner how you can justify having two of the highest paid players at their position on this team.

Spiller's contract isn't up until 2016.

Byrd could've been a 5 mil a year cap hit by that point.

gr8slayer
08-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Even if you could trade for a CB, you'd either be trading for someone who has a huge contract, or you'd be trading for someone who will demand a huge contract; might as well just pay Byrd his huge contract and be done with it.

GingerP
08-30-2013, 09:09 AM
If they trade the guy now they are selling low. The guy is a real good player, but any team trading for him will inherit his high cap number for this year (thus, will need room), and will be unable to extend him. That kills his value, since they are just trading for a guy who will be a free agent again after this year or will need to be tagged again.

Nobody is going to trade for Byrd and give value, because they are trading for a 1-year rental who has a high cap number. The only way they make a trade is if the Bills take 40 cents on the dollar, and that would be monumentally stupid.

Skooby
08-30-2013, 10:13 AM
If they trade the guy now they are selling low. The guy is a real good player, but any team trading for him will inherit his high cap number for this year (thus, will need room), and will be unable to extend him. That kills his value, since they are just trading for a guy who will be a free agent again after this year or will need to be tagged again.

Nobody is going to trade for Byrd and give value, because they are trading for a 1-year rental who has a high cap number. The only way they make a trade is if the Bills take 40 cents on the dollar, and that would be monumentally stupid. Why couldn't the new team re-tag him if to assure that they have control of his rights ? They also could make a verbal agreement for a new contract & honor it right after the season is over. It isn't like Byrd's money is changing this year one way or another & a change of scenary might be good. That being said, I'd like the Bills to utilize Byrd's services this season while showcasing him to get the maximum amount for him next year if he's not going to be reasonable.

better days
08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Why couldn't the new team re-tag him if to assure that they have control of his rights ? They also could make a verbal agreement for a new contract & honor it right after the season is over. It isn't like Byrd's money is changing this year one way or another & a change of scenary might be good.

As Ginger said no team will pay fair market value for Byrd at this time.

He will have a high cap number & can't be signed to a long term contract until after the season is over so he would be a one year rental.

Yes a team could reach a verbal agreement with him before hand but verbal agreements are not binding & of no real value.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Ah yes, I remember the last time we shipped out a Pro Bowl player in a panic trade. Only the Bills can do it twice in 5 years though, that's something.

alohabillsfan
08-30-2013, 12:28 PM
I could care less about Byrd, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, him or his agent. I'd trade him for a cb or a pick or a player with heart that loves football!

better days
08-30-2013, 12:31 PM
I could care less about Byrd, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, him or his agent. I'd trade him for a cb or a pick or a player with heart that loves football!

A lot easier said than done.

jpdex12
08-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I bet we hold on to him until someone goes down shortly into the season and we trade him for mor ethan he is worth right now based on other team's need.

alohabillsfan
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
No ****

justasportsfan
08-30-2013, 01:12 PM
whoever wants to trade for Byrd will have to give him a long term contract paying him no.1 safety salary. I don't think anyone will be willing to do that.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 01:28 PM
whoever wants to trade for Byrd will have to give him a long term contract paying him no.1 safety salary. I don't think anyone will be willing to do that.
I think you'd be shocked to find out how many people would be willing to do that.

The same thing happened to Peters and he was coming off of a horrid season.

better days
08-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I think you'd be shocked to find out how many people would be willing to do that.

The same thing happened to Peters and he was coming off of a horrid season.

Well, no team is allowed to sign Byrd to a long term contract & pay him as the #1 until the season is over even if they wanted to.

mayotm
08-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Trading Byrd for a CB leaves a gaping hole at safety. Do you want D. Williams or Searcy starting at safety along with A. Williams? The CB situation is abysmal, but at least they will have Gilmore back at some point.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, no team is allowed to sign Byrd to a long term contract & pay him as the #1 until the season is over even if they wanted to.
I know that, but it doesn't mean that a lot of teams wouldn't be willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league.

better days
08-30-2013, 01:52 PM
I know that, but it doesn't mean that a lot of teams wouldn't be willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league.

At this point, I think it will depend on how he plays this year. If he has a Pro Bowl year, maybe the Bills would be one of those teams.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 01:57 PM
At this point, I think it will depend on how he plays this year. If he has a Pro Bowl year, maybe the Bills would be one of those teams.
I'm going to guess probably not.

He's already made two pro bowls and they weren't willing to pay him what he wanted. If he makes the pro bowl again, all it's going to do is raise his price.

The Bills are going to offer 8 mil and he's going to want 10.

Then we'll watch him move onto another team and you guys can just call him greedy and say that he never wanted to play here.

better days
08-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm going to guess probably not.

He's already made two pro bowls and they weren't willing to pay him what he wanted. If he makes the pro bowl again, all it's going to do is raise his price.

The Bills are going to offer 8 mil and he's going to want 10.

Then we'll watch him move onto another team and you guys can just call him greedy and say that he never wanted to play here.

Well, since he already wanted #1 safety money, how much more could he ask for even if he makes the Pro Bowl?

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Well, since he already wanted #1 safety money, how much more could he ask for even if he makes the Pro Bowl?
Well, if he makes the pro bowl again, we're going to find out.

I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be the same as what he's asking for this year.

JoeMama
08-30-2013, 02:39 PM

I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be the same as what he's asking for this year.

I'm one of the guys who wants to pay Byrd a ton of money and keep him in Buffalo.

But he's going to have a bad season if he's as mentally checked out as he sounds right now.

He sounds so petulant and bitter. Like this year doesn't even matter and someone will pay him what he wants in 2014 no matter how bad he sucks.

better days
08-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Well, I think he will be happy if he gets the same money next year that he asked for this year even if he does make the Pro Bowl.

The Bills could tag him again next year if they can't come to an agreement.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm one of the guys who wants to pay Byrd a ton of money and keep him in Buffalo.

But he's going to have a bad season if he's as mentally checked out as he sounds right now.

He sounds so petulant and bitter. Like this year doesn't even matter and someone will pay him what he wants in 2014 no matter how bad he sucks.

I agree, unfortunately, there's no good solution to this saga.

These are the options:

He plays lights out and demands 10 mil a year at which point the homers can yell "That's crazy, do you know how many mediocre we can sign with 10 million!!"

He plays average/poorly at which point the homers will yell, "See!! I'm glad we didn't waste all that money on him!"

I'd be surprised to see him in a Bills uniform in 2014 and I would be absolutely shocked to see him in 2015.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, I think he will be happy if he gets the same money next year that he asked for this year even if he does make the Pro Bowl.

The Bills could tag him again next year if they can't come to an agreement.

I don't think that's the case, but neither of us know. I already think he's asking for a bit more than he's worth. If he plays better, he's only going to raise his value.

I think if the Bills do have to tag him, they realize that they're going to lose, so they'd rather do a sign and trade.

This year was a bit different because they have next year's tag as leverage. They don't have that luxury next year, so if they're going to tag him, they might as well trade him and get something out of him.

better days
08-30-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't think that's the case, but neither of us know. I already think he's asking for a bit more than he's worth. If he plays better, he's only going to raise his value.

I think if the Bills do have to tag him, they realize that they're going to lose, so they'd rather do a sign and trade.

This year was a bit different because they have next year's tag as leverage. They don't have that luxury next year, so if they're going to tag him, they might as well trade him and get something out of him.

That will most likely be the case. I'm hopeful they can come to an agreement after the season.