PDA

View Full Version : NFL cuts worth pursuing?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-30-2013, 12:23 PM
The only one surprising me so far is Jake Ballard. Not sure why New England is dumping tight ends, but there you go.

jdaltroy5
08-30-2013, 12:32 PM
The Chicago Bears just cut a veteran QB with several years of starting experience.

Might be worth pursuing since will be very thin at the position.

Plus, he went to Stanford, so he must be smart.

better days
08-30-2013, 12:37 PM
The only one surprising me so far is Jake Ballard. Not sure why New England is dumping tight ends, but there you go.

Ballard is not the player he was before getting injured.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Ballard is not the player he was before getting injured.

Maybe so, but this is a team that runs multiple TE sets more than anyone since the helmets were leather, and they are down to two healthy guys at the position. Surprising.

The King
08-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Ras-I Dowling just cleared waivers making him cheap to pick-up now.

justasportsfan
08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Did they cut Tavaris yet? Whaley has him in his speed dial but maybe Tavaris has him blocked.

better days
08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Did they cut Tavaris yet? Whaley has him in his speed dial but maybe Tavaris has him blocked.

Tavares is the #2 QB for the Seahawks. It was a stupid decision to cut him.

justasportsfan
08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Tavares is the #2 QB for the Seahawks. It was a stupid decision to cut him.

In hindsight , I agree.

better days
08-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Maybe so, but this is a team that runs multiple TE sets more than anyone since the helmets were leather, and they are down to two healthy guys at the position. Surprising.

A bigger surprise to me is they also cut TE Daniel Fells.

GreedoII
08-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Hindsight people…hindsight...

DraftBoy
08-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Former Cal CB Marc Anthony cut by Baltimore. He has some size and pedigree.

psubills62
08-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Not necessarily advocating bringing them in, but a couple names caught my eye: Dan Gronkowski (TE) and Marcus Trufant (CB).

Homegrown
08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
that Trent Edwards feller might be worth a look ....

The Jokeman
08-30-2013, 07:51 PM

His 4.6 speed will prevent him from being a starting CB in the NFL. Yet with his size/slowness/aggressiveness he might be better suited as S in the NFL yet he'd have to add about 10 more lbs.

The Popcorn
08-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Unless there is an injury that I don't know about, I think Barry Richardson would be a good pickup as a backup Tackle for the Bills.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what Max Starks has left.

psubills62
08-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Not sure what Max Starks has left.
Apparently San Diego is eating a 160K signing bonus by cutting him. Hard to imagine he has anything left.

Goobylal
08-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, but his music sucks.

The Popcorn
08-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Apparently San Diego is eating a 160K signing bonus by cutting him. Hard to imagine he has anything left.

You're probably right. San Diego's OL is a mess.

clumping platelets
08-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I haven't seen any names on the waiver wire worth pursuing

User Manuel
08-31-2013, 07:24 AM
New England has a kid named Zach Sudfield who totally outperformed Ballard all preseason. He is similar in size and speed to Gronk. They also have some other good young TEs on the roster. The name isn't everything.

Goobylal
08-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Ballard still hasn't recovered from his knee injury in the 2011 season SB. Hence the reason the Pats cut him after stashing him on the IR all of last season.

chernobylwraiths
08-31-2013, 08:09 AM
Just saw that Florence is probably going to be cut. He has to be better than what we have.

better days
08-31-2013, 08:22 AM
New England has a kid named Zach Sudfield who totally outperformed Ballard all preseason. He is similar in size and speed to Gronk. They also have some other good young TEs on the roster. The name isn't everything.

Sudfield has looked impressive, but how about Hoomanawanui?

GingerP
08-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Sudfield has looked impressive, but how about Hoomanawanui?

It was curious they released Ballard & Fells. That leaves them paper-thin at TE, and Sudfeld had a bunch of injuries in college. They may use the TE less, since they still have a FB on the roster (unless they release him today) and Hooman is more of an H-back type.

It makes me wonder if Gronkowski is closer to playing than people think. If Gronkowski is healthy their TE depth chart looks fine, if he isn't they look like they are really thin there.

better days
08-31-2013, 08:31 AM
It was curious they released Ballard & Fells. That leaves them paper-thin at TE, and Sudfeld had a bunch of injuries in college. They may use the TE less, since they still have a FB on the roster (unless they release him today) and Hooman is more of an H-back type.

It makes me wonder if Gronkowski is closer to playing than people think. If Gronkowski is healthy their TE depth chart looks fine, if he isn't they look like they are really thin there.

Well, they did not put him on PUP. I heard they expect (hope) Gronk can play by the end of September.

But like Amendola, there is no telling how long either of them STAY healthy.

psubills62
08-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Looks like Antoine Winfield is going to be cut.

Tatonka
08-31-2013, 10:29 AM
id take wini back in a heartbeat.. dont care how old he is. one of my favs ever here

psubills62
08-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Not sure how accurate this is (if they were that pleased with his performance, why not keep him on the roster?), but FWIW from rotoworld.com:

Packers waived CB Loyce Means.

Means is a 24-year-old burner out of Houston. The Packers were pleased with his training camp performance and hope to keep him on the practice squad.

THRILLHO
08-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Tebow was cut..........

hahaha.

stuckincincy
08-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Not sure how accurate this is (if they were that pleased with his performance, why not keep him on the roster?), but FWIW from rotoworld.com:

Packers waived CB Loyce Means.

Means is a 24-year-old burner out of Houston. The Packers were pleased with his training camp performance and hope to keep him on the practice squad.

Off topic, but do you remember former Nittany Lion Ethan Kilmer? I recall his play with CIN. Shame he got injured - IMO, he would have been really something...

stuckincincy
08-31-2013, 10:53 AM

NE and CIN have a trading history. 2nd year TE Orson Charles?

Update: CIN cut FB John Connors -guess they will keep Charles as H-back.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 10:59 AM
NE and CIN have a trading history. 2nd year TE Orson Charles?

Yeah, I think a lot of teams will be making changes in the next few days. Some surprises and deals will occur.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Bring in Timmy Teeeeeeebz!

X-Era
08-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Chase Minnefield was cut.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/08/31/redskins-part-with-offensive-tackle-tony-pashos-others-as-cutdown-day-begins/

imbondz
08-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Lets bring in Tebow just so he can tell us Patriot plays. It'd be worth it even tho we'd still prolly lose.

Mark Miller
08-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Winfield, Means, Trufant, and Florence sound somewhat intriguing for a stop gap.

ServoBillieves
08-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Fendi Onobun, Vince Young, David Nelson, Drayton Florence, Trent Edwards, Zach Pianalto, Kyle Moore, Kellen Heard, Mark Asper, Kamar Aiken, Mike Jasper, Derek Hagan, John Potter, or... for the hell of it... Tim Tebow?

The King
08-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Vince Young.

KO1
08-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Winfield or Florence

ParanoidAndroid
09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Chase Minnefield was cut.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/08/31/redskins-part-with-offensive-tackle-tony-pashos-others-as-cutdown-day-begins/

The Bills need a more experienced CB but this is a guy worth bringing in. He's better than any of our back-ups and has a chance to improve. That's if his knee holds up. Given our CB situation, if no viable alternatives in the form of veterans reveal themselves, he's worth a shot. Many of the Skins beat writers apparently thought he would make it.

ParanoidAndroid
09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
The Lions cut Ron Bartell who was an early favorite to start but got hurt early in camp and never got it going. He's a 9-year vet and would definitely be better than what we have right now.

ParanoidAndroid
09-01-2013, 11:15 AM
G Jake Scott was cut by the Lions. He was a perennial starter for years and would be good depth.

BertSquirtgum
09-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Bring in Lance Bass

The Jokeman
09-01-2013, 11:49 AM
The Lions cut Ron Bartell who was an early favorite to start but got hurt early in camp and never got it going. He's a 9-year vet and would definitely be better than what we have right now.

The only thing that worries me about Bartell was this snippet from Rotoworld: Bartell, 31, hasn't been the same since suffering a significant neck injury in Week 1 of the 2011 season with the Rams. He saw some action with the Lions' first-team defense this summer, but Detroit is moving forward with second-rounder Darius Slay opposite Chris Houston. Bill Bentley will man the slot. Bartell lost out to Rashean Mathis for the veteran reserve role. Aug 31 - 1:47 PM

Meathead
09-01-2013, 12:49 PM
so when do teams get to start adding the castoffs? ie, when do they start processing the waiver claims

GingerP
09-01-2013, 01:01 PM
so when do teams get to start adding the castoffs? ie, when do they start processing the waiver claims

The deadline for waiver claims from yesterday was noon today, so all the claims are in. The league will sort claimed players to teams based off the waiver priority. That process has already started and some teams have announced transactions, but they will probably trickle out all afternoon.