PDA

View Full Version : Cap Casualty Cuts Are Coming

BillsImpossible
08-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Happens every year. Team drafts a young player, they play well enough to start and the next thing you know a good veteran gets released because they make too much money.

Some teams are forced to cut veterans because they don't have enough cap space to sign their future core players.

Troy Vincent was released by the Bills, and picked up by Washington.

Lawyer Milloy was released by the Patriots, and picked up by the Bills.

Teams with the least salary cap room:

Carolina Panthers
Dallas Cowboys
KC Chiefs
Oakland Raiders
New Orleans Saints
Pittsburgh Steelers
St. Louis Rams
Washington Redskins

The Bills need a decent/average veteran cornerback to start on opening day. I hope they find their guy soon.

SpikedLemonade
08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
You assume the Bills are prepared to spend some of their $20M in available cap space.

OpIv37
08-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Here we go again... The annual "we are going to fix all our problems by signing other teams' trash a week before the season starts" thread.

Milloy was 2003. Vincent was 2005 or 2006 IIRC. Got any more recent examples?

Cap cuts that land with another team after last cut and succeed are rare. It's the old BZ mantra of using the exception to prove the rule.

OpIv37
08-30-2013, 06:51 PM
You assume the Bills are prepared to spend some of their $20M in available cap space.

Yeah- that money is where it belongs: stuffed in Ralph Wilson's mattress.

Bangarang
08-30-2013, 07:00 PM

Did we not just give Wood a long term deal just minutes ago?

BillsImpossible
08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Here we go again... The annual "we are going to fix all our problems by signing other teams' trash a week before the season starts" thread.

Cap cuts that land with another team after last cut and succeed are rare. It's the old BZ mantra of using the exception to prove the rule.

Those were just examples from the Bills, but I'm sure every team in the NFL has had to release a good quality veteran player come time to trim the roster down to 53. Cap casualty cuts aren't the exception to the rule, they happen every year.

Here is an example from last year:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roster-cuts-NFL-veterans-new-england-patriots-Deion-Branch-Dan-Koppen-083112

SpikedLemonade
08-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Did we not just give Wood a long term deal just minutes ago?

Did we give him $20M a year starting this year rather than next year?

Bangarang
08-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Did we give him $20M a year starting this year rather than next year?

Your original point was taking a shot at the front office that we won't use our cap space to sign players. I pointed out that we just used what im speculatin yo be a reasonable amount just minutes ago on a good player. Considering the last few years, this team has spent considerable money signing and resigning players.

Now you're trying to backtrack because we haven't used every available dollar we have? Okay.

The Popcorn
08-31-2013, 07:05 AM

Wasn't there a rule stating that teams had to spend a certain percent of their cap or be fined the amount they are short? I can't remember.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Wasn't there a rule stating that teams had to spend a certain percent of their cap or be fined the amount they are short? I can't remember.

This is the first year the minimum cap rules kick in.

Starting this year, teams have to spend to 89% of the cap. However, that isn't hard to do, especially since it is cash-based and not cap-based. One big extension can basically get a team there, and the Bills just did one with Wood. Teams need to do this to comply, so the punishment would be the same as going over the cap (in other words, everyone will comply). This really isn't a hard floor to meet and won't have the dramatic impact most think.

The real cap floor is league-wide. The league is required to spend to 95% to the cap for all teams. However, this is based on cash-spent and not cap space. If the league is under that floor, they have to give the difference to the players (though I'm not sure how it is dispersed). Some teams spend way over and some teams under, so it is a matter of the average being at 95%.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Drayton Florence was released by Carolina. He is probably washed up (32 now), but did have a good year here a few years ago.

Carolina also released Jimmy Claussen, though I personally don't think much of him. He was a 2nd round pick a few years ago.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 07:59 AM
jason LaCanfora is reporting the Seahawks will released Antoine Winfield. Given how weak the Bills are in the secondary, maybe they can bring him back to end his career.

Apparently, they will try to trade him first, but will cut him if they can't.

better days
08-31-2013, 08:03 AM
jason LaCanfora is reporting the Seahawks will released Antoine Winfield. Given how weak the Bills are in the secondary, maybe they can bring him back to end his career.

Apparently, they will try to trade him first, but will cut him if they can't.

Would love to see Winfield back in Buffalo. Give a 7th for him Whaley, git er done.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Would love to see Winfield back in Buffalo. Give a 7th for him Whaley, git er done.

His contract is 1 Year/$2M ($500K SB/$500K salary guarantee), and additional money tied to incentives. Seattle would eat the $500K SB in a trade, so the Bills would get him with a $1.5M cap number. That is affordable.

It was reported before he signed with Seattle that Minnesota, Washington & maybe Denver were also interested in him. Washington is tight against the cap (rumor is they may cut Santana Moss to make room), but Minnesota would probably be the biggest competitor for his services. It was reported that he turned down a guaranteed 1 Yr/$3M deal with Minnesota to sign with Seattle. He said at the time that his biggest priority was to play with a team that could compete for a Super Bowl, so that hurts the Bills.

better days
08-31-2013, 08:16 AM

Marrone said there are two times a year you can improve your team & now is one of them.

YES, I expect the Bills to spend some money.

Bangarang
08-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Drayton Florence was released by Carolina. He is probably washed up (32 now), but did have a good year here a few years ago.

Carolina also released Jimmy Claussen, though I personally don't think much of him. He was a 2nd round pick a few years ago.

Um.....Drayton was terrible for us. He was consistently getting beat and drawing penalties.

He'd be no better than Butler.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Um.....Drayton was terrible for us. He was consistently getting beat and drawing penalties.

He wasn't good his last year here, but he did a decent job before that. He is a smart guy and was a leader when here. I'd agree he is most likely washed up, though, but was just throwing it out there because the Bills are so weak at that position.

OpIv37
08-31-2013, 09:43 AM

He'd be no better than Butler.
His last year here was terrible. He had a good year a season or two before that.

I do agree that he's washed up though. No reason to bring him back.

Meathead
08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
mhs official odds that the bills will pick up at least one cb from cutdowns and it will be an improvement over what they have now: one billion percent

SpikedLemonade
08-31-2013, 10:50 AM

It is not 89% every year but in 4 year blocks and this the first year.

The Bills will just spend a little more in the 3rd or 4th year.

Mr. Miyagi
08-31-2013, 11:52 AM

Wow you just love to start arguments don't you? All he said was let's see if there's anyone we can use, not oh we're 3 FAs away from the Super Bowl.

Geez Cripes Op you're undies too tight or what?

justasportsfan
08-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Wow you just love to start arguments don't you? All he said was let's see if there's anyone we can use, not oh we're 3 FAs away from the Super Bowl.

Op's whining about the The annual "we are going to fix all our problems by signing other teams' trash a week before the season starts" thread.

and he wonders why we pick on his DAILY *****fest.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-31-2013, 01:07 PM
WINFIELD!!!!!!!!

The King
08-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Eagles are cutting former 1st rounder Danny Watkins

OpIv37
08-31-2013, 01:22 PM

There isn't anyone. There might be someone slightly better than what we have, but that's it.

Threads like this underscore just how bad this team really is. We have to hope we can find the diamond in the rough a week before the season starts to have any chance at success. I'm just really tired of being in this position for 13 or so straight years.

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2013, 03:21 PM

I didn't see anyone say it's going to fix all the Bills' problems. I do think getting some veteran cuts would certainly help this team. We all know you want this team to suck so you can continue to be negative though. Totally understandable.

BillsImpossible
08-31-2013, 04:04 PM
WINFIELD!!!!!!!!

EXACTLY the kind of scenario I was hoping would happen.

I would love to see Winfield come back to Buffalo and end his career as a Buffalo Bill.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4679194/antoine-winfield-cut-seahawks

"The veteran cornerback was a victim of a deep, young secondary."

Mr. Miyagi
08-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Threads like this underscore just how bad this team really is. We have to hope we can find the diamond in the rough a week before the season starts to have any chance at success. I'm just really tired of being in this position for 13 or so straight years.
Who even said that? Would you stop with the over reaction already? It was an open question.

Dora: "Hey Op I wonder do you need any new clothes? JC Penney is running a sale."

Op: "WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? ARE YOU SAYING MY WARDROBE SUCKS? YOU THINK I HAVE TO RELY ON JC ****** PENNEY BOTTOM BARREL ON SALE GARBAGE JUST SO I COULD LOOK BARELY PRESENTABLE?? OMG HOW PATHETIC AM I? I SHOULD JUST SHOOT MYSELF IN THE TEMPLE!!!"

OpIv37
08-31-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't know why some of you insist on trying to extrapolate the way I react to a football team that has disappointed me for 13+ years to everything in life.

OpIv37
08-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Vincent wasn't a camp cut..The Bills signed him as a FA in the offseason prior to 2004

Read the original post in this thread- we were talking about when Vincent LEFT Buffalo, not how he came to Buffalo.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-31-2013, 06:11 PM
I don't know why some of you insist on trying to extrapolate the way I react to a football team that has disappointed me for 13+ years to everything in life.

You mean the first 40 years were satisfying?????

Mr. Miyagi
08-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Obviously you're not the only one disappionted, yet some of us choose not to be complete negative nancies. It's a choice.

OpIv37
09-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Obviously you're not the only one disappionted, yet some of us choose not to be complete negative nancies. It's a choice.
Yeah it's a choice- ignorance or reality.