X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Byrd Really Missed Out

Signing Bonus. That's all I keep thinking of every time I hear his name spoken.

He signed a one year deal. No big signing bonus.

Byrd will make $6.9 million on his one year deal.

He could have made more money by signing a 3 or 4 year deal with a guaranteed signing bonus of at least $10 million up front.

What if Byrd gets hurt this year in a career threatening way? He'll get paid for the year, but might not ever get offered another contract again.

NFL contract negotiations are a lot like the game itself. If you get greedy, you get burned.

With a big signing bonus on top of Byrd's would be first year salary, he would be guaranteed at least $13-14 million in total this season alone.

And the topper? The Bills can still franchise Byrd next year if they want to, again with no big signing bonus.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Byrd Really Missed Out

Boo hoo, cry me a multi-million $ river.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

That's the risk you take when you think you deserve to be paid more than you're being offered. So he'll play under the 1-year tag and pray he doesn't get injured, or doesn't have a bad year (and he's apparently nursing a foot injury, which isn't a good thing for either him or the Bills).

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

You are correct BI, history has proven that many, many times the player loses in these situations. I really think that this was about more than money, I think Byrd wanted out. One bad cut, one low block, one bad dive and Byrd is gonna wish he took the Bills offer which would have made him very wealthy.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
          • Jan 2010

or he'll have a "foot issue" that keeps him out for the year so he doesn't have to risk playing.

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

For some people it works out and for others it doesn't. Flacco had a chance to re-sign entering the final year of his contract and decided to play it out. He went on to win a Super Bowl and cashed in big time.

Then there are others where it doesn't work out. I forgot the one players name but he turned down a multi million dollar contract and decided to play it out. He found out the money wasn't there this offseason and he received about half of what he would've been paid the prior season. Think he ended up signing a one or two year deal instead. I can't think of his name right now but it was a defensive player.

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

It is laughable to think he should jump at a contract that pays him $13M-$14M in the first year. Top S make more than that.

Dashon Goldson just signed for 5 Yrs/$41.25. He got a guaranteed $18M, and gets paid $26M in the first 3 years of the contract. That was after he had to play out a year on the franchise tag as well.

It isn't a bad bet for Byrd to play out the year and go for free agency next year. He gets a guaranteed $6.9M. He can buy insurance against a career-ending injury, which is common practice for franchise players. He has 4 years of film already showing how good a player he is, so he will be just as valuable next year. He is an elite player at his position.
              Last edited by GingerP; 08-30-2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• DBrown77
                Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                For some people it works out and for others it doesn't. Flacco had a chance to re-sign entering the final year of his contract and decided to play it out. He went on to win a Super Bowl and cashed in big time.

Then there are others where it doesn't work out. I forgot the one players name but he turned down a multi million dollar contract and decided to play it out. He found out the money wasn't there this offseason and he received about half of what he would've been paid the prior season. Think he ended up signing a one or two year deal instead. I can't think of his name right now but it was a defensive player.
                Jerome Harrison I believe.

Comment

• superbills
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03 View Post
                  or he'll have a "foot issue" that keeps him out for the year so he doesn't have to risk playing.
                  Well, he can, but we can re-tag him next year and he'll have to do it all over again
                  "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                  Ronald Reagan
                  40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

Cliff Avril was the person I was thinking of. He turned down 10 million a year from the Lions and decided to play out the rest of his contract and hit free agency. He ended up signing for 15 million instead.

Cliff Avril has found a new home. He's still looking for his big pay day.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Wednesday that Avril has agreed to terms to join the Seattle Seahawks. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday night the deal is for two years and $15 million.
                    Avril turned down a three-year, $30 million contract extension with the Detroit Lions last year.
                    Cliff Avril found a home with the Seattle Seahawks, and the former Detroit Lions defensive end strengthens an already strong defense in the Pacific Northwest.

It was on the tip of my tongue but just couldn't remember it at the time. I remembered the ordeal because I wished we had signed him to a contract similar to the Seahawks instead of giving Lawson 3+ million a year. Avril was a much better player and it would've been worth an extra 4-5 million a year for only a two year contract.

He really hurt himself by waiting but for others it works out. It depends on your situation and we'll see what happens with Byrd next year. All we can do is speculate on how much the Bills were offering and how much Byrd wanted. If they only offered him around 7 million a year with maybe around 13 million or so in guaranteed money then I wouldn't blame him for taking his chances. Even two years of the franchise tag would get him that much or more. Even if something happened he could still get a decent contract and up to 10 million in guaranteed money at the very least from somebody next year on the open market.
                    Last edited by BillsFever21; 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                      • Oct 2002

Just hypothetically...

If the Bills offered Byrd a 5 year, 35 million dollar extension (made up numbers) and he took them up on it, after taxes, agent's cut, etc. he should have 15 millions dollars or so that he's sitting on when he's 30 years old or so...for playing football.

Seriously.

If someone tells you that you just hit the Lottery, don't be a dick and hold out for Powerball.
                      Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                        Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                        • Nov 2012

So I'm a dick now?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Byrd really blew it by not accepting a contract that didn't pay him what he's worth as dictated by the NFL?

smh

He would have blew it if he accepted the Bills pathetic 7.4m per season offer.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Muktar al-Portlandi View Post
                            So I'm a dick now?
                            well not just now
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              Byrd really blew it by not accepting a contract that didn't pay him what he's worth as dictated by the NFL?

smh

He would have blew it if he accepted the Bills pathetic 7.4m per season offer.
                              Nope, he blew it by not counter offering.

Comment

Working...
                              X