PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Really Missed Out

BillsImpossible
08-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Signing Bonus. That's all I keep thinking of every time I hear his name spoken.

He signed a one year deal. No big signing bonus.

Byrd will make $6.9 million on his one year deal.

He could have made more money by signing a 3 or 4 year deal with a guaranteed signing bonus of at least $10 million up front.

What if Byrd gets hurt this year in a career threatening way? He'll get paid for the year, but might not ever get offered another contract again.

NFL contract negotiations are a lot like the game itself. If you get greedy, you get burned.

With a big signing bonus on top of Byrd's would be first year salary, he would be guaranteed at least $13-14 million in total this season alone.

And the topper? The Bills can still franchise Byrd next year if they want to, again with no big signing bonus.

Skooby
08-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Boo hoo, cry me a multi-million $ river.

Goobylal
08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
That's the risk you take when you think you deserve to be paid more than you're being offered. So he'll play under the 1-year tag and pray he doesn't get injured, or doesn't have a bad year (and he's apparently nursing a foot injury, which isn't a good thing for either him or the Bills).

HAMMER
08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
You are correct BI, history has proven that many, many times the player loses in these situations. I really think that this was about more than money, I think Byrd wanted out. One bad cut, one low block, one bad dive and Byrd is gonna wish he took the Bills offer which would have made him very wealthy.

ZAZusmc03
08-30-2013, 08:11 PM
or he'll have a "foot issue" that keeps him out for the year so he doesn't have to risk playing.

BillsFever21
08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
For some people it works out and for others it doesn't. Flacco had a chance to re-sign entering the final year of his contract and decided to play it out. He went on to win a Super Bowl and cashed in big time.

Then there are others where it doesn't work out. I forgot the one players name but he turned down a multi million dollar contract and decided to play it out. He found out the money wasn't there this offseason and he received about half of what he would've been paid the prior season. Think he ended up signing a one or two year deal instead. I can't think of his name right now but it was a defensive player.

GingerP
08-30-2013, 09:08 PM
It is laughable to think he should jump at a contract that pays him $13M-$14M in the first year. Top S make more than that.

Dashon Goldson just signed for 5 Yrs/$41.25. He got a guaranteed $18M, and gets paid $26M in the first 3 years of the contract. That was after he had to play out a year on the franchise tag as well.

It isn't a bad bet for Byrd to play out the year and go for free agency next year. He gets a guaranteed $6.9M. He can buy insurance against a career-ending injury, which is common practice for franchise players. He has 4 years of film already showing how good a player he is, so he will be just as valuable next year. He is an elite player at his position.

DBrown77
08-30-2013, 09:14 PM
For some people it works out and for others it doesn't. Flacco had a chance to re-sign entering the final year of his contract and decided to play it out. He went on to win a Super Bowl and cashed in big time.

Then there are others where it doesn't work out. I forgot the one players name but he turned down a multi million dollar contract and decided to play it out. He found out the money wasn't there this offseason and he received about half of what he would've been paid the prior season. Think he ended up signing a one or two year deal instead. I can't think of his name right now but it was a defensive player.

Jerome Harrison I believe.

superbills
08-30-2013, 09:18 PM
or he'll have a "foot issue" that keeps him out for the year so he doesn't have to risk playing.
Well, he can, but we can re-tag him next year and he'll have to do it all over again

BillsFever21
08-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Cliff Avril was the person I was thinking of. He turned down 10 million a year from the Lions and decided to play out the rest of his contract and hit free agency. He ended up signing for 15 million instead.

Cliff Avril has found a new home. He's still looking for his big pay day.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Wednesday that Avril has agreed to terms (https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/311979960434827264) to join the Seattle Seahawks (http://www.nfl.com/teams/seattleseahawks/profile?team=SEA). NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday night the deal is for two years and $15 million (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/312027542297120768).
Avril turned down a three-year, $30 million contract extension with the Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150490/article/cliff-avril-seattle-seahawks-agree-to-15m-contract

It was on the tip of my tongue but just couldn't remember it at the time. I remembered the ordeal because I wished we had signed him to a contract similar to the Seahawks instead of giving Lawson 3+ million a year. Avril was a much better player and it would've been worth an extra 4-5 million a year for only a two year contract.

He really hurt himself by waiting but for others it works out. It depends on your situation and we'll see what happens with Byrd next year. All we can do is speculate on how much the Bills were offering and how much Byrd wanted. If they only offered him around 7 million a year with maybe around 13 million or so in guaranteed money then I wouldn't blame him for taking his chances. Even two years of the franchise tag would get him that much or more. Even if something happened he could still get a decent contract and up to 10 million in guaranteed money at the very least from somebody next year on the open market.

Scumbag College
08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Just hypothetically...

If the Bills offered Byrd a 5 year, 35 million dollar extension (made up numbers) and he took them up on it, after taxes, agent's cut, etc. he should have 15 millions dollars or so that he's sitting on when he's 30 years old or so...for playing football.

Seriously.

If someone tells you that you just hit the Lottery, don't be a dick and hold out for Powerball.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-30-2013, 11:11 PM
So I'm a dick now?

Mr. Pink
08-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Byrd really blew it by not accepting a contract that didn't pay him what he's worth as dictated by the NFL?

smh

He would have blew it if he accepted the Bills pathetic 7.4m per season offer.

Meathead
08-31-2013, 12:22 AM
So I'm a dick now?

well not just now

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2013, 01:41 AM
Byrd really blew it by not accepting a contract that didn't pay him what he's worth as dictated by the NFL?

smh

Nope, he blew it by not counter offering.

Oldbillsfan
08-31-2013, 03:15 AM
Bird isn't the best safety in the NFL. Sorray....

alohabillsfan
08-31-2013, 05:35 AM
I truley hope this blows up in byrds face :)

BuffaloRedleg
08-31-2013, 05:45 AM

I'd prefer he signs a reasonable long-term contract with us.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 06:09 AM

That makes no sense since it would make the Bills a weaker team if he was hurt or had a bad year.

You may get your wish, though. Byrd is seeing Dr. James Andrews for a 2nd opinion on his foot. I heard the dreaded "LisFranc" brought up, although they always do that with foot injuries where the player goes for a 2nd opinion.

Goobylal
08-31-2013, 07:21 AM

smh

Where did you get 7.4m per season? And what were Byrd and Parker looking for?

alohabillsfan
08-31-2013, 08:03 AM
That's awesome! How do you make a team weaker by having guys that don't want to play here sitting on the sidelines collecting millions? Screw Byrd and that idiot agent! I would rather lose with 53 guys with heart than win with greedy heartless malcontents!!! Hey, that's just me

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2013, 12:37 PM
That's awesome! How do you make a team weaker by having guys that don't want to play here sitting on the sidelines collecting millions? Screw Byrd and that idiot agent! I would rather lose with 53 guys with heart than win with greedy heartless malcontents!!! Hey, that's just me

I agree. Byrd is another Peters type idiot a-hole.

Mike
08-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Bills overpay for average players
Bills overpay for other teams Stars
Bills are cheap with they'd own stars.

And this is how you stay mediocre!

It's not about Peters or Byrd being greedy it's about the Bills being cheap with their own elite stars. (If price was too high why did other teams agree to pay it?)

Do you honestly think this is not about $$$? If they backed up the Brinks money truck for Peters, Levitre, Byrd, like they did for Mario, Do you honestly believe those players would have walked???

DynaPaul
08-31-2013, 01:57 PM
If we kill his agent he has a better shot of signing with us long term.

Mike
08-31-2013, 02:00 PM

If we make him the top payed safety he will sign with us.

The smart move here is simply to franchise him this year and work out a long term deal next year or franchise him again.

zone
08-31-2013, 02:57 PM
He has Jason Peter syndrom, otherwise knows as Ugeneparkersins. Notice in the conference held for Wood both Brandon and Whaley thanked Wood's agent, I know they probably always do that but it really felt emphasized to me probably because of this situation.

Bryd has now been brainwashed by Parker. The only thing that can fix it is a playoff run and $. If he shows he can be elite in this new system, he will get paid.

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2013, 03:14 PM

Anybody up for the challenge? I'm out.

pmoon6
09-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Bills overpay for average players
Bills overpay for other teams Stars
Bills are cheap with they'd own stars.

And this is how you stay mediocre!

It's not about Peters or Byrd being greedy it's about the Bills being cheap with their own elite stars. (If price was too high why did other teams agree to pay it?)

Do you honestly think this is not about $$$? If they backed up the Brinks money truck for Peters, Levitre, Byrd, like they did for Mario, Do you honestly believe those players would have walked???Peters would have. He had the 'tude after they wouldn't renegotiate when he had his first good year. Nevermind that Buffalo took a chance on him and developed him into a left tackle.

I wouldn't have paid 9 million for a guard unless he was the second coming of John Hannah. I also wouldn't pay Jarius Byrd like he is a superstar. Trade him as soon as possible. Mario was a bad deal, but we wanted pass rush and we thought he would be it. He still can be, but we shall see.

HAMMER
09-03-2013, 04:01 PM
You are correct BI, history has proven that many, many times the player loses in these situations. I really think that this was about more than money, I think Byrd wanted out. One bad cut, one low block, one bad dive and Byrd is gonna wish he took the Bills offer which would have made him very wealthy.

How's Byrds' decision looking now? Think he blames and then fires Parker? Will he recover fully and return to form or did he screw himself out of millions by being too proud to accept anything but top safety money. Only time will tell but I bet he loses millions.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-03-2013, 04:05 PM
has it ever occurred to anyone that the bills fo knew about this condition and that was why the negotiation was at such an impasse? screw him, lets role with Leonhard and play some ball

Spiderweb
09-04-2013, 09:27 AM
One thing that has always bothered me about Byrd is he seems to be late on too many deep balls. He is a play maker but also disappears at times. Good player to very good player but not a superstar. I think he also is playing games with his foot thing. He could end up losing big in the long run.

He said he was disappointed that he got tagged but views himself as elite? What did he expect? I guess the Bills were supposed to just let him walk.... Dumb.

PromoTheRobot
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Now here's something the Bills haters totally miss. It's been revealed that Byrd was playing with PF last year. So Parker wanted the Bills to pay his man $9M a year when he knew he was injured. The Bills offered $7M. Parker could have took the money to ensure his client got a good deal locked up. But he had to insist on top money. Now everyone knows Byrd is injured. Who's going to pay Byrd $9M now?

PTR

Goobylal
09-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Now here's something the Bills haters totally miss. It's been revealed that Byrd was playing with PF last year. So Parker wanted the Bills to pay his man $9M a year when he knew he was injured. The Bills offered $7M. Parker could have took the money to ensure his client got a good deal locked up. But he had to insist on top money. Now everyone knows Byrd is injured. Who's going to pay Byrd $9M now?

PTR
Did the same thing with Peters, who had torn his groin before holding out. The Bills wanted to see him first before committing big money but no dice. And if Byrd had PF last year and it's a problem for a good portion of this year, he probably cost himself millions by not taking what the Bills offered.