PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down quarterback market for Bills

MidnightVoice
08-31-2013, 09:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/191/breaking-down-quarterback-market-for-bills

....Here's a look at quarterbacks who were waived either Friday or Saturday. The claiming deadline for any of these players is noon Sunday:

Jimmy Clausen (Carolina Panthers; injured)
Aaron Corp (Miami Dolphins; injured)
Dayne Crist (Baltimore Ravens)
Austin Davis (St. Louis Rams)
Ryan Griffin (New Orleans Saints)
Chandler Harnish (Indianapolis Colts)
Mike Kafka (Jacksonville Jaguars)
G.J. Kinne (Philadelphia Eagles)
Thad Lewis (Buffalo Bills)
Greg McElroy (New York Jets; injured)
Matt Scott (Jacksonville Jaguars)
John Skelton (Cincinnati Bengals)
Rusty Smith (Tennessee Titans)
Alex Tanney (Dallas Cowboys)
Tim Tebow (New England Patriots)

And here is the list of quarterbacks who, with four or more seasons of experience, are not subject to waivers. The Bills can sign any of these players at any point:

David Carr (New York Giants)
Dennis Dixon (Philadelphia Eagles)
Trent Edwards (Chicago Bears)
Caleb Hanie (Baltimore Ravens)
Matt Leinart (Buffalo Bills)
Jordan Palmer (Chicago Bears)
Brady Quinn (Seattle Seahawks)
Seneca Wallace (San Francisco 49ers)
Vince Young (Green Bay Packers)

Dr. Lecter
08-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Seneca Wallace?

But I think the vets do go through waivers until the trade deadline

SquishDaFish
08-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Players who have 4 years playing experience do not go through waivers. They go str8 to FAs

BuffaloWingEater
08-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Wow what a ****ty list....like chosing between having your ******* stapled shut or getting your dick cut off

better days
08-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, Leinart has experience playing on the Bills.

GingerP
08-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Players who have 4 years playing experience do not go through waivers. They go str8 to FAs

Only after the trade deadline. All players are subject to waivers up until the trade deadline.

Mace
08-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Wallace if they want to carry 3 because Manuel isn't ready. Least worst to me.

Carr, Palmer, Hanie, Dixon. We already had Tanney, Corp, Edwards, Young. They're all pretty interchangeable until you plunge off the cliff down to Tebow level. None of them will make a difference just fill space either on the roster or on the field with minor variations in how bad they'll make you feel if they have to play.

Most of them will still be available through the year just watching TV anyway.

One guy I was sure would be on the list, because he's terrible, is Curtis Painter, who amazingly managed to become Eli Mannings backup in NY. But he must have major stuff on Peyton from the time he was terrible and managed to linger as his backup in Indy. He'll be available later in the year about a week after he has to play in a regular season game though.

cookie G
08-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Dayne Crist!!

The former Notre Dame dude who Charlie Weis brought in to save the Kansas Jayhawks last year.

He was the worst QB in the Big 12 last year. It reminded me of the Pop Warner coach/dad who started his son at QB, even though the whole team knew he sucked.

maybe I'm off base, but I'm just not freaking about having an experienced QB on the roster. Probably because with the youth of the receivers, I'm kind of giving the offense a mulligan this year.

But if they can find a good, experienced, smart one that can act as a mentor, I'm all for it.

YardRat
08-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Dayne Crist!!

The former Notre Dame dude who Charlie Weis brought in to save the Kansas Jayhawks last year.

He was the worst QB in the Big 12 last year. It reminded me of the Pop Warner coach/dad who started his son at QB, even though the whole team knew he sucked.

maybe I'm off base, but I'm just not freaking about having an experienced QB on the roster. Probably because with the youth of the receivers, I'm kind of giving the offense a mulligan this year.

But if they can find a good, experienced, smart one that can act as a mentor, I'm all for it.

Ummm...did you look at the list Gil?

cookie G
08-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Ummm...did you look at the list Gil?

yep, probably why I'm not screaming about getting one of them.

We could bring in Edwards..

"Look EJ, as a young QB, you can't possibly see the entire field on any given play. So just don't look past 10 yards and you'll be OK."

Dr. Lecter
08-31-2013, 10:42 PM
You are on fire tonight

Homegrown
08-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Well, Leinart has experience playing on the Bills.

as does Vince Young and that Trent Edwards feller ... personally, I grab a CFLer before any of the scrubs from that list ... what a waste land

cookie G
08-31-2013, 10:55 PM
You are on fire tonight

I have my moments. Fewer and further between, but once in a while they pop up.

CoolBreeze
09-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Dennis Dixon and Whaley have a connection. Whaley was in Pittsburgh when they drafted Dixon.

Night Train
09-01-2013, 06:19 AM
From that bad list, Seneca Wallace or Mike Kafka (who was a gamer at Northwestern)

YardRat
09-01-2013, 06:35 AM
I miss the good ol' days, when it was possible to have three guys that were at least capable and functional at the QB position. College football and some of the rules changes have ruined the position.

T-Long
09-01-2013, 06:40 AM
I like these QBs in order: Carr, Dixon, Tebow (for the hell of it)

Jan Reimers
09-01-2013, 06:58 AM
I like these QBs in order: Carr, Dixon, Tebow (for the hell of it)

That would be my list, too, except in the opposite order. People seem to forget that Tebow won games in Denver. He's not pretty, but he's been a winner, he's a competitor, and is a good kid. He could win a game or two for us if needed, based on sheer determination.

As a number 3 guy, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Don't Panic
09-01-2013, 07:01 AM
If we're just looking for the best vet who will offer good wisdom and have a great grip on a clipboard, I'd have to think Carr. If we want someone who can be trusted to go out and actually play abit, I'd go with Wallace.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-01-2013, 07:12 AM
That would be my list, too, except in the opposite order. People seem to forget that Tebow won games in Denver. He's not pretty, but he's been a winner, he's a competitor, and is a good kid. He could win a game or two for us if needed, based on sheer determination.

As a number 3 guy, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

This.

We're talking about a third-string quarterback here. A guy who may not be technically sound but can run an offense with some semblance of competence until your starter or backup gets back.

Tebow fits that bill perfectly.

Novacane
09-01-2013, 12:15 PM
We'd at least make sportscenter if we pick up Tebow!

BertSquirtgum
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/191/breaking-down-quarterback-market-for-bills

....Here's a look at quarterbacks who were waived either Friday or Saturday. The claiming deadline for any of these players is noon Sunday:

Jimmy Clausen (Carolina Panthers; injured)
Aaron Corp (Miami Dolphins; injured)
Dayne Crist (Baltimore Ravens)
Austin Davis (St. Louis Rams)
Ryan Griffin (New Orleans Saints)
Chandler Harnish (Indianapolis Colts)
Mike Kafka (Jacksonville Jaguars)
G.J. Kinne (Philadelphia Eagles)
Thad Lewis (Buffalo Bills)
Greg McElroy (New York Jets; injured)
Matt Scott (Jacksonville Jaguars)
John Skelton (Cincinnati Bengals)
Rusty Smith (Tennessee Titans)
Alex Tanney (Dallas Cowboys)
Tim Tebow (New England Patriots)

And here is the list of quarterbacks who, with four or more seasons of experience, are not subject to waivers. The Bills can sign any of these players at any point:

David Carr (New York Giants)
Dennis Dixon (Philadelphia Eagles)
Trent Edwards (Chicago Bears)
Caleb Hanie (Baltimore Ravens)
Matt Leinart (Buffalo Bills)
Jordan Palmer (Chicago Bears)
Brady Quinn (Seattle Seahawks)
Seneca Wallace (San Francisco 49ers)
Vince Young (Green Bay Packers)

Charlie Batch would be better than every one of the players named.

Meathead
09-01-2013, 12:57 PM
it appears very obvious the bills are going to add one of those almost out of gas veterans to be the qb3. somebody like batch or carr would be ideal - an on-field qb mentor that you dont want to ever play but would at least be able to execute the offense if disaster strikes

The Jokeman
09-01-2013, 01:05 PM
it appears very obvious the bills are going to add one of those almost out of gas veterans to be the qb3. somebody like batch or carr would be ideal - an on-field qb mentor that you dont want to ever play but would at least be able to execute the offense if disaster strikes

Carr is the only one on these lists that I'd even consider but if EJ's healthy I don't see a real need for a veteran QB on the active roster now that we have Lewis on the PS.

feldspar
09-01-2013, 02:22 PM
To me, Seneca Wallace is the obvious choice from that list...but that's not a very good list. It's a list of desperation.

I have no idea what the Bills are thinking, though. Having Tuel as the lone backup on the roster with Thad Lewis on the practice squad does not give me an easy feeling. Bringing a QB in this late is never a good thing, for starters. But if they want some kind of safety net against injury or against massive suckage, Wallace has to be the guy.

Beebe's Kid
09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I'd give Young another look. I don't think he got a fair shake, and if I am picking off of that list, it isn't even close to me. The guy won games in the NFL.

I already know that many don't like him, and people weren't shy to say so last go around, but I have always pulled for him...and it is 3rd string.

Meathead
09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
no man when you got two rooks at the top of your qb battery you desperately need a veteran to help keep them focused, calm, and educated. i suppose lewis could provide a little of that from the ps but hes got a grand total of one game in two years in the nfl so that insight would be limited

no you got to get a guy thats long in the tooth, has good character, and has the ability and desire to transfer knowledge. vince young strikes me as too dumb and too immature for that role. you need a real old fart, barely able to play anymore, more than willing to be on on-field dad just to stay in the nfl. all signs point to carr or somebody like him

Mr. Pink
09-01-2013, 04:59 PM
The sad part is I think we released the guy with the most potential on that list...Thaddeus Lewis.

Meathead
09-01-2013, 08:13 PM
no the perfect guy for that would have been fitz. too bad they couldnt figure something out to have him just stay

Meathead
09-01-2013, 08:15 PM
on second thought, fitz might not be the perfect guy cuz he still wants to play and start, and i bet he gets that chance when ponder implodes. maybe in a couple seasons he will be ready for the old man qb3 routine

Dr. Lecter
09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
on second thought, fitz might not be the perfect guy cuz he still wants to play and start, and i bet he gets that chance when ponder implodes. maybe in a couple seasons he will be ready for the old man qb3 routine

Fitz is with Tennessee, not Minnesota.

Thunderlips
09-01-2013, 11:22 PM
If we want a mentor for EJ, look at Jimmy Clausen. He was thrown to the wolves also in his first season, so he could help EJ out that way, telling him how that year went and how to avoid the same mistakes. He's also been on the bench watching Cam Newton and could also offer advice on that style of QBing if EJ is going to do some run-option. Probably makes too much sense tho...

Albany,n.y.
09-02-2013, 07:31 AM
If we want a mentor for EJ, look at Jimmy Clausen. He was thrown to the wolves also in his first season, so he could help EJ out that way, telling him how that year went and how to avoid the same mistakes. He's also been on the bench watching Cam Newton and could also offer advice on that style of QBing if EJ is going to do some run-option. Probably makes too much sense tho...

Clausen is about the last guy I'd want to bring in-If you look at his career, he's the poor man's JP Losman, with one glaring similarity-when he was just starting out, because of his attitude veterans had no respect for him & his combination of limited talent & attitude made for a not so long career. If they bring in Clausen, don't be surprised to see him grow a bum beard and look disinterested on the sidelines during games.

Mr. Pink
09-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Why don't we bring in Brady Quinn too?

I'm sure we can find another garbage former Irish QB to add to the mix as well.

PTI
09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
John Skelton was not terrible in preseason.

feldspar
09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Why don't we bring in Brady Quinn too?

Brady Quinn went to the Jets.

Seneca Wallace went to the Packers.