• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Bills sign CB Brandon Burton.

Per his Twitter feed.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• CoolBreeze
    • Feb 2009

Re: Bills sign CB Brandon Burton.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- - - Updated - - -

Junior All American CB Brandon Burton blocks Mitch Payne's field goal as No. 20 Utah celebrates a 17-16 win over rival BYU in 2010.

Comment

• cookie G
      • Mar 2003

Hall of Football is owned and operated by The Sports Xchange (TSX) which has provided news, analysis and research for fans and professionals since 1987.

Latest on DB Brandon Burton including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Burton could become a great starting corner for a team with a press-heavy scheme. Very adept at disrupting receivers releasing off the line and can flip his hips but may struggle to recover when beaten by top NFL deep threats. Does a good job reading the passer in off-man coverage and closes quickly after the catch but could do a better job of recognizing run. Has the mentality and physical tools to eventually improve in run support but takes too long to shed and is only adequate at breaking down in space.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

Fan easier, fan faster and fan better with Bleacher Report. Keep up with the latest storylines, expert analysis, highlights and scores for all your favorite sports.

2011 NFL Draft Grades: Was it a steal for the Vikings to get Brandon Burton in the fifth round?

Grade: B+

Defensive back wasn't the highest of needs for the Minnesota Vikings, but when they were on the clock in the fifth round, and they saw Utah CB Brandon Burton still on the board, this was a guy who was near impossible to pass up here.

Burton was a top-10 rated cornerback, so to get him here in the middle of the fifth round should be looked at as somewhat of a steal.

While Burton doesn't have exceptional intangibles, he is a solid cover-corner who seems to excel at reading quarterbacks. He tracks the ball well and has the speed to stick with down-field receivers and make necessary plays on the ball.

Comment

• CoolBreeze
          • Feb 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5elGqb7Zc This is Burton vs Jonathon Baldwin 1 on 1... Win some/loses some... Overall not bad considering Baldwin was considered "elite" and was a 1st rd pick

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
            • Jan 2010

looks like a good fit in Pettine's scheme

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

4.3 speed, that sounds promising.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                4.3 speed, that sounds promising.
                He was timed at 4.53 at the combine and 4.48 at his pro day. (see the Prodraftscout link)

Not horrible, but certainly not a 4.3.

Comment

• The Zone Ranger
                  • Aug 2013

If he can stop the bleeding we have taken in the last two preseason games I m ok with him.
                  Wr's were wide open and no buffalo defender within ten yards.

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                    • Feb 2009

He doesn't look like he's afraid to hit and be physical.

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

I don't see this guy helping us at CB at this point. We need somebody else too.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                        He was timed at 4.53 at the combine and 4.48 at his pro day. (see the Prodraftscout link)

Not horrible, but certainly not a 4.3.
                        I got that 4.3 from the link.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                          I don't see this guy helping us at CB at this point. We need somebody else too.
                          It's slim pickings when it comes to waiver acquisitions and I certainly don't disagree with your thinking. I'm sure we'll see another CB in the next day. I didn't want an older vet who's lost all his speed and is all past rep.

Yet this guy is far from hopeless and your other starting CB right now is Rogers, who seems to have trouble covering anyone lined up wide. Looks to be strictly a slot CB.

This guy could be starting next Sunday, with good reason.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                            It's slim pickings when it comes to waiver acquisitions and I certainly don't disagree with your thinking. I'm sure we'll see another CB in the next day. I didn't want an older vet who's lost all his speed and is all past rep.

Yet this guy is far from hopeless and your other starting CB right now is Rogers, who seems to have trouble covering anyone lined up wide. Looks to be strictly a slot CB.

This guy could be starting next Sunday, with good reason.
                            If this guy starts next week against Tom Brady, may as well just forget about it. This is NOT a plug-and-play player...not even remotely. Burton has zero NFL experience at CB, pretty much. He was cut two years after being drafted...he wasn't cut because of logistics or numbers. He was cut because he didn't measure up...at least as far as I can tell.

I mean, this move makes very little sense. May as well have kept somebody like Butler, who at least knows the playbook. Dunno, maybe the Bills like his Special Teams ability or something, but having this guy start at CB...you're just asking for it. That shouldn't happen ANYWHERE anytime soon.

A new guy does not equal a good player.
                            Last edited by feldspar; 09-01-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                              A new guy does not equal a good player.
                              These are players 51,52 & 53 you are talking about.

I think we get that.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X