PDA

View Full Version : Here is My Prediction How the NE Game Will Go

ghz in pittsburgh
09-03-2013, 06:41 AM
The Bills, under a new coaching staff, new schemes on both sides of the ball, new leaders on the team, in a sellout home crowd, come in high spirit and fly around knocking people.

The overall speed on this team has been improving under Nix and has taken a big step under Marrone this off season. That is more evident on special team, not only we have world class speed in Goodwin in return, but the overall blocking team in front of him as well. NE special team is middle of the pack. I'm predicting a Bills special team score directly or setting one up - 75% chance.
There is no question even with Gilmore's injury, the Bills defense is still the more talented side. Under Pettine, it's going to be more unpredictable than the past, which should help against a seasoned HOF like Brady, particularly in the 1st game of the season. History shows the only way to beat Brady is pressure from the front 4, not from great coverage by back 4, and the Bills have the raw talent in fromt 4. Pettine should be very familiar with NE offense but this is the first time he comes out of Rex's shadow on his own, so Belichick and Brady will likely see a few surprises from him. On top of that, Brady has almost brand new targets to throw to so there are some time period of adjustments. I'm predicting the Bills will stymie NE offense for at least half the game - 80% chance.
The weakness in NE offense has been their secondary, paricularly against the spread. Gailey and Fitz were able to run multiple WR groupings and most of the time there was a confusion or gross mismatch that Fitz was able to explore quickly. But this is no longer be the case for a rookie EJ and this offense. Marrone and Co. are going to rein EJ in or EJ is going to rein himself in, starting an NFL game the 1st time, seeing things he has never seen before. I predict more running for CJ and EJ than we've ever seen before and the Bills offense will struggle to put points on NE D, which has a very stout in front 7 - 90% chance.

Overall, I'm thinking this game will likely go the way like Gregg Williams' 1st game as Bills' head coach: the 1st half on the strength of the D and special team performance, the Bills may take a lead on the Pats. In the 2nd half, newness of the Bills offense wears off first as the Pats adjust to shut EJ and CJ down. Then Brady gradully figures out our D and gets into sync with his receivers and puts a hurting on our worn down D. The overall score may look very one sided, but the game itself can be tight through the 4th Quarter.

YardRat
09-03-2013, 06:48 AM
I think it's going to be lopsided right from the beginning.

GingerP
09-03-2013, 06:57 AM
I find it interesting that NE has more rookies than anyone in the NFL this year, 14. Over a quarter of their roster is rookies. Granted, a lot of their core players remain, but that number sticks out. It is something you expect from a rebuilding team, not an established one. With youth there are mistakes, and I don't expect to see the NE team that never beats itself. I think they make some mistakes because of that youth, and it is up to Buffalo to capitalize.

Watching them in preseason, I think Brady and their offense will find a way to score. I know all their receivers are new, but their OL is intact and their RB's are strong, so I think matching them physically up front will be key. I think NE is going to mix in the run a lot more.

Basically, the Buffalo offense is the wild card for me. If they can score in the high 20's to match NE, they can win. I don't expect a low-scoring game, but Manuel is the unknown. If he can efficiently move the team like he showed in preseason, then the Bills can win.

justasportsfan
09-03-2013, 07:07 AM
I think it's going to be lopsided right from the beginning.

I agree. 51-3 bills

ghz in pittsburgh
09-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Watching them in preseason, I think Brady and their offense will find a way to score. I know all their receivers are new, but their OL is intact and their RB's are strong, so I think matching them physically up front will be key. I think NE is going to mix in the run a lot more.

I remember the game last year in Buffalo that after the Bills went up by 2TDs, the Pats went to run a lot more and went down the field pretty quickly. In my mind, how Alonso does is a key for this match up because the Bills don't have to give Brady keys to dictate plays to us when we went small or big guessing what he's going to do next. Now that's putting a lof of pressure on a rookie who we truely don't know is a bust or not yet. But we do know that for their college career, Alonso is much better than Shepperd in terms of capability and production.

Here is my thinking: without Gronk and Hernandez, and in addition to expected level of play from Alonzo, the Bills have a better chance of stopping those 8+ yard run from their running backs out of their pass formations. Then the variation of the new attcking D on obvious passing downs put enough pressure on Brady and his new receivers to get on the same page in split seconds for some incompletions.

Eventually though, I think their O-Line and Brady will figure out a way to have more time in the pocket, like they always do against us.

justasportsfan
09-03-2013, 08:54 AM
the first 2 plays the bills should go maximum protect and hit either Goodwin or TJ Graham. Whoever has single coverage. That will open upthe run and the middle field. Then run Spiller and FJ til' they puke. That'll keep Marsha off the field. When they stack the box, we finally have qbs that can throw deep. Tuel actually hit a lot of those deep balls at camp.

better days
09-03-2013, 09:04 AM
I remember the game last year in Buffalo that after the Bills went up by 2TDs, the Pats went to run a lot more and went down the field pretty quickly. In my mind, how Alonso does is a key for this match up because the Bills don't have to give Brady keys to dictate plays to us when we went small or big guessing what he's going to do next. Now that's putting a lof of pressure on a rookie who we truely don't know is a bust or not yet. But we do know that for their college career, Alonso is much better than Shepperd in terms of capability and production.

Here is my thinking: without Gronk and Hernandez, and in addition to expected level of play from Alonzo, the Bills have a better chance of stopping those 8+ yard run from their running backs out of their pass formations. Then the variation of the new attcking D on obvious passing downs put enough pressure on Brady and his new receivers to get on the same page in split seconds for some incompletions.

Eventually though, I think their O-Line and Brady will figure out a way to have more time in the pocket, like they always do against us.

Well, I think you should have said always did against us. I think Brady will have less time to throw than he ever has had against the Bills, from the start until the end of the game.

And in the past, when Brady was under pressure, he had Welker as his pressure relief valve. That is now gone.

I expect this Bills defense to play up to the level we expected them to last year & I expect to see more 3 & outs by the Pats* than we ever have.

If EJ can move the ball down the field & not turn the ball over, I think the Bills have a good chance to win this game.

Historian
09-03-2013, 09:07 AM
48-13 Patriots.

ServoBillieves
09-03-2013, 09:27 AM
A lot of 3 and outs, a gassed defense, Marquise Goodwin will provide a spark, and we'll still fall short.

Is that "homer" enough for the people here?

stuckincincy
09-03-2013, 10:02 AM
...Overall, I'm thinking this game will likely go the way like Gregg Williams' 1st game as Bills' head coach: the 1st half on the strength of the D and special team performance, the Bills may take a lead on the Pats. In the 2nd half, newness of the Bills offense wears off first as the Pats adjust to shut EJ and CJ down. Then Brady gradully figures out our D and gets into sync with his receivers and puts a hurting on our worn down D. The overall score may look very one sided, but the game itself can be tight through the 4th Quarter.

Good analysis - that's a plausible scenario. :java:

DraftBoy
09-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I think we could see a sloppy game early from NE that allows us to stay with them, something like 14-10 (Pats) going into half. I think Buffalo's offense will fail to sustain drives in the game though and the defense will tire in the 2nd half allowing New England to put up some points. In the end 35-13 feels right.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Bills 91 Patriots - -92 (the Refs then use Algebra and make -- a plus and so its Pats 92 Bills 91). Sorry gang, not even Bill Swerski and the Superfans can help us out. I think its going to be Pats 21 Bills 20 or some such.

better days
09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I think we could see a sloppy game early from NE that allows us to stay with them, something like 14-10 (Pats) going into half. I think Buffalo's offense will fail to sustain drives in the game though and the defense will tire in the 2nd half allowing New England to put up some points. In the end 35-13 feels right.

Well, Pats* 35 Bills 13 may feel right to you, but I would HATE that feeling.

Bills 27 Pats* 21

Oaf
09-03-2013, 11:08 AM
W/o Byrd and Gilmore it's hard to blind myself and say we're a better defense.

Forward_Lateral
09-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Bills win in a romp.

You heard it here first.

GreedoII
09-03-2013, 12:04 PM
NE is going to stack the box so EJ will be asked to chuck it donwnfield a few times to ease that up then you go balanced attack and run the ball more. It's quite simple really. Until EJ or Tuel proves they can get it deep it's 8-9 in the box for NE. NE is going to run he ball more I bet. Dnk and dunk as usual with screens. Not having Welker is huge for Buf in my opinion. No saftey net for Brady and no TE's either. Should be interesting to see the strategy of both clubs. I have no prediction becuase of the unpredictable nature of this game

BAM
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I think it'll be a good game. Just wish I could make it up for it! Go Bills. :bam:

ServoBillieves
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
If pressure can get to Brady, this is a different game. It doesn't matter who is guarding the receivers if he's forced to throw the ball quickly. If it's Wanny's "drop back and see" defense or they run like hell then I don't see this game going well.

Skooby
09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
The Bills' offense will be able to move the ball on NE if EJ is the QB. We aren't going to run right at them, we're going to run around them. Then when they decide to set the edge, quick slants & deep passes will give us the advantage. The problem I see with the game is if Brady gets time, that's when we'd get hurt. If Brady is hurried & running for his life, then he's obviously going to make mistakes. Those mistakes will lead to turnovers & yardage losses, which will kill the Pats on drives & return the ball to us. I see Jim Leonhard with the final INT sealing the game, a hero that came back home.

Mr. Miyagi
09-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Alan Branch dives at Brady's knee in the 1st quarter.

17-3 Bills.

Skooby
09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Alan Branch dives at Brady's knee in the 1st quarter.

17-3 Bills.
Essentially then, game over.

CoolBreeze
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Almost every Patriot is too old or too young. Their top receiving options are gone, the stadium's going to be going nuts. I believe we pull it off this weekend, and expose the Pats for what they are. A dying power in the NFL

Bill Cody
09-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Almost every Patriot is too old or too young. Their top receiving options are gone, the stadium's going to be going nuts. I believe we pull it off this weekend, and expose the Pats for what they are. A dying power in the NFL

I've been reading this for a decade

chris66
09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
2 names Bills fans will know very well by 4pm. Zack Sudfeld and Kembrel Thompkins.

better days
09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
2 names Bills fans will know very well by 4pm. Zack Sudfeld and Kembrel Thompkins.

Because they both will have had fumbles returned for TD's by the Bills.

BertSquirtgum
09-04-2013, 08:15 PM
38-24 Bills

Mace
09-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Though it's their very first and hampered by injuries, I really think this game is going to define this coaching staff.

At this point, Belichick has no film, besides Marrone at Syracuse, Manuel at Florida State, and Pettine with the Jets. If I know that, they all know that too. If they are different enough, they have a chance to dictate the first half to some extent, because the Pats are not unbeatable or unstoppable, just steadily proficient, then adaptable. In the second half, they need to not keep doing what they did in the first half that Belichick will have adjusted for, mix it up. If they are clever enough this first game, they can hope for a 30-27 win, I think.

If they apply standard philosophy, they'll have a good first quarter then start winding down, they'll come out doing the same things in the second half without the experience or skill to pull them off after Belichick has adjusted, and it will end something like Pats 38, Bills 20.

I yet have my hopes for Marrone and Pettine. I'll be happy with a competitive game where they don't look outclassed and unmanaged.

I think they're clever enough, Bills 30, Pats 27 this time. First half defense will be all over Brady like a cheap suit in the rain, Bills offense will be flying all over the place. 2nd half Brady becomes Brady, but we find out Manuel can work a game winning drive and might be The One not too far down the road.

This is still Christmas Eve, so I think the package contains Nicole Scherzinger and not some white socks.

Mr. Pink
09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
A lot of 3 and outs, a gassed defense, Marquise Goodwin will provide a spark, and we'll still fall short.

Is that "homer" enough for the people here?

I concur with this...but I think we'll fall well short.

Beebe
09-04-2013, 10:54 PM
35-27 BILLS WIN D SCORES 2 TD'S

better days
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
A lot has been said about how well the Pats* play against Rookie QB's.

Well, I saw on NBC sports channel that since 2008, the Pats* are 3-3 against Rookie QB's.

Bills 31
​Pats* 21

​SCREW THE PATS* & SCREW THE 2-14 CROWD.

trapezeus
09-05-2013, 03:30 PM
1st quarter - neither team looks good. pats look sloppy in execution. the Better day fans mistake that as excellent defense instead of dropped passes and wrong routes. 3-0 Bills

2nd quarter -the Bills score, you feel very good. we finally made the first big play. 7-3 The bills have a second drive that falls short and they settle for a 30Yr FG attempt. Dan carpenter shanks it. you feel "oh my god it's happening". The patriots take 4 players to score a TD on a play where brady throws a 6 yard pass, gets knocked down fairly but the flag comes out anyways, the WR pushes off the bill and runs 35 yards for a td into the scoreboard end of the stadium. the grouping of patriot fans get rowdy. you want to kill them. that's the half. Patriots 10-7. Better Days responds, "who would have thought we'd be in this? probably not the 2-14 crowd." OP replies, "this is going to get so ugly. I hate this this team."

3rd quarter - Goodwin returns a kick to the 20. Oh, but there is a phantom holding. It comes back to the 10 yard line. 3 and out. next up the patriots and their halftime review of their game film. Here it goes one of two ways. Marrone and co can adjust on the fly and dance with these guys or they go full chan and just keep doing the same thing as they get throttled. I am guessing Marrone and company will get the benefit of the doubt. Pats still score 17-3. Op chimes in to drive people nuts.

4th quarter - Spiller really hits his stride, he scores on a nice long drive. 17-10, feels pretty good. Pats go 3-out. Bills hit a big play, but fizzle out on the drive. Settle for a field goal 17-13. Defense needs one stop to give a team and stadium that is feeling the momentum a chance to win. several big third downs end up first downs. Finally we get a 3rd and 15. Either a first down from random non-existent penalty or brady has all day to throw and mckelvin is caught tying his shoes while his man roams free. 24-13. EJ gets picked six, 30-13. You've headed out of your seats and you hear the last 37-13 score halfway to your car.

Bettter days dismisses this entire game and says week 2 looks better. Op figures out the there is a good chance we may never win again. Justa responds to both types of responses by riling both OP and Better days up. I say something harmless and justa turns in on me like i'm running a bills gulag holding good fans back and putting words into russ brandon's mouth.

Post game includes lines like "I like what i saw there, but it didn't go our way." "Patriots are always tough". "we need to look at the film and get better" "obviously we didn't like the outcome..."

What am i missing here?

better days
09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
1st quarter - neither team looks good. pats look sloppy in execution. the Better day fans mistake that as excellent defense instead of dropped passes and wrong routes. 3-0 Bills

2nd quarter -the Bills score, you feel very good. we finally made the first big play. 7-3 The bills have a second drive that falls short and they settle for a 30Yr FG attempt. Dan carpenter shanks it. you feel "oh my god it's happening". The patriots take 4 players to score a TD on a play where brady throws a 6 yard pass, gets knocked down fairly but the flag comes out anyways, the WR pushes off the bill and runs 35 yards for a td into the scoreboard end of the stadium. the grouping of patriot fans get rowdy. you want to kill them. that's the half. Patriots 10-7. Better Days responds, "who would have thought we'd be in this? probably not the 2-14 crowd." OP replies, "this is going to get so ugly. I hate this this team."

3rd quarter - Goodwin returns a kick to the 20. Oh, but there is a phantom holding. It comes back to the 10 yard line. 3 and out. next up the patriots and their halftime review of their game film. Here it goes one of two ways. Marrone and co can adjust on the fly and dance with these guys or they go full chan and just keep doing the same thing as they get throttled. I am guessing Marrone and company will get the benefit of the doubt. Pats still score 17-3. Op chimes in to drive people nuts.

4th quarter - Spiller really hits his stride, he scores on a nice long drive. 17-10, feels pretty good. Pats go 3-out. Bills hit a big play, but fizzle out on the drive. Settle for a field goal 17-13. Defense needs one stop to give a team and stadium that is feeling the momentum a chance to win. several big third downs end up first downs. Finally we get a 3rd and 15. Either a first down from random non-existent penalty or brady has all day to throw and mckelvin is caught tying his shoes while his man roams free. 24-13. EJ gets picked six, 30-13. You've headed out of your seats and you hear the last 37-13 score halfway to your car.

Bettter days dismisses this entire game and says week 2 looks better. Op figures out the there is a good chance we may never win again. Justa responds to both types of responses by riling both OP and Better days up. I say something harmless and justa turns in on me like i'm running a bills gulag holding good fans back and putting words into russ brandon's mouth.

Post game includes lines like "I like what i saw there, but it didn't go our way." "Patriots are always tough". "we need to look at the film and get better" "obviously we didn't like the outcome..."

What am i missing here?

Well, if the Bills lose this game what can any of us do but dismiss it & hope for better play in the next game?

And in your first paragraph, you had the Bills up by three then in the 2nd those three points were TRANSFERRED to the Pats*.............................DAMN CHEATERS!

EDS
09-05-2013, 04:19 PM
The Bills only chance to win this game is to prevent NE from gaining an early lead. If the Pats go up by 2 touchdowns early it will be tough for the Bills to come back as they will be forced to pass more and the Pats will know what is coming. A close game (or playing with a lead, obviously) works better for the Bills as they can then ride the Spiller gravy train.

PromoTheRobot
09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Come from behind win for the Bills.

better days
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Listening to Pats* radio today, of course they expect the Pats* to win, but they said the game being in Buffalo gives the Bills a small chance to win.

A lot of respect for Bills fans & the atmosphere at the Ralph.

Mace
09-05-2013, 06:03 PM
What am i missing here?

Probably only an aggravatingly shanked punt at the worst time by Powell.

Besides that it was scary probable.

sudzy
09-06-2013, 06:25 PM
This thread proves, we can all dream. But, the reality is we have no shot. 35-10 pats.

JoeMama
09-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I sold my soul and drafted Tom Brady in my fantasy league in the 5th round.

I may hate the guy but all he does is deliver.

But I'll be much happier if the Bills are 1-0 and Cowabunghole are 0-1 after Sunday.

Basking in the afterglow of a Bills win is way more satisfying than winning a few hundred bucks in a fantasy league.