PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills no longer strike your fancy....

ckg927
09-03-2013, 04:10 PM
here's Sportsnet's guide to adopting a new NFL team. This link will deal with the AFC teams(and yes, Buffalo is included)...tomorrow, it's the NFC's turn.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/guide-to-adopting-an-nfl-team/afc/

T-Long
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
link didn't work

Scumbag College
09-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Not rooting for the Bills...Blasphemy!

Link that doesn't work...Sacrilege!

cookie G
09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/

try that and click the link from their homepage. Freaking canadian websites.

Anyways...sigh..

Bills' fans don't stop becoming Bills' fans when it doesn't "suit their fancy".

You are born into it. It is a blood relationship and as such, it is a family relationship.

And family relationship never ends.

People can yell, scream, call names, ***** and even threaten to leave...but none of that matters. You are still family.

And you don't run and find a new team any more than you run and find a new family.

That's why when someone says, "that's it, if they don't do A or B, I'm going to find a new team to follow" (*cough* Coastal *cough*) I think of it as the 8 year old saying "That's it, I'm running away from home". They come back as soon as they smell dinner coooking. In Coastal's case, it was the draft.

That's why I think...when players talk about the college atmosphere at a Bills game, it isn't the tailgating, not entirely. It is the fraternal relationship. As a Nebraska alum would never abandon the Huskers to "adopt a new team", a Bills fan never totally abandons the Bills.

Accept it. It is your birthright.

ckg927
09-04-2013, 02:31 PM
FTR, the NFC is featured today.

MidnightVoice
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM

It is worse for someone like me - I chose the bloody team and now I am stuck with it.

cookie G
09-04-2013, 04:32 PM
It is worse for someone like me - I chose the bloody team and now I am stuck with it.

It definitely worse for you...you're a Cyclones fan to boot :).

I never did ask...how the hell DID you become a Bills fan? Channel surfing for the Westminster Cricket finals and came across an AFC championship game?

coastal
09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/

try that and click the link from their homepage. Freaking canadian websites.

Anyways...sigh..

Bills' fans don't stop becoming Bills' fans when it doesn't "suit their fancy".

You are born into it. It is a blood relationship and as such, it is a family relationship.

And family relationship never ends.

People can yell, scream, call names, ***** and even threaten to leave...but none of that matters. You are still family.

And you don't run and find a new team any more than you run and find a new family.

That's why when someone says, "that's it, if they don't do A or B, I'm going to find a new team to follow" (*cough* Coastal *cough*) I think of it as the 8 year old saying "That's it, I'm running away from home". They come back as soon as they smell dinner coooking. In Coastal's case, it was the draft.

That's why I think...when players talk about the college atmosphere at a Bills game, it isn't the tailgating, not entirely. It is the fraternal relationship. As a Nebraska alum would never abandon the Huskers to "adopt a new team", a Bills fan never totally abandons the Bills.

In some cases a divorce is the better option for all involved. The problem with Bills fans is our self worth is tied to this relationship... no matter how dysfunctional or abusive it is.

cookie G
09-04-2013, 05:37 PM
In some cases a divorce is the better option for all involved. The problem with Bills fans is our self worth is tied to this relationship... no matter how dysfunctional or abusive it is.

except it isn't a marriage. It doesn't have the components of seekign out and finding someone.

Marriages have a dissolution rate of around 50% in this country.. Families..far, far less.

coastal
09-04-2013, 05:59 PM
except it isn't a marriage. It doesn't have the components of seekign out and finding someone.

Marriages have a dissolution rate of around 50% in this country.. Families..far, far less.
This is my family?

awful.

cookie G
09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
This is my family?

awful.

We're having Jambalaya tonight.

Go wash up.

MidnightVoice
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
It definitely worse for you...you're a Cyclones fan to boot :).

I never did ask...how the hell DID you become a Bills fan? Channel surfing for the Westminster Cricket finals and came across an AFC championship game?

Whilst whiling away a few years @ Cornell, I became enamored of the game (couldn't buy booze on a Sunday, had to do something), and I asked me mate from Oshkosh where the nearest team was, as I needed someone to support. He figured Buffalo was the nearest, and here I am :(

feldspar
09-04-2013, 07:38 PM
If you are from Buffalo and are a fan of ANY team, it has to be the Bills. There is no choice.

God Bless the fans from other areas that CHOSE to be Bills fans in the early '90s. I don't know of many people that have chosen to be a fan of a bad team. Maybe they are out there.

MidnightVoice
09-04-2013, 07:44 PM
If you are from Buffalo and are a fan of ANY team, it has to be the Bills. There is no choice.

God Bless the fans from other areas that CHOSE to be Bills fans in the early '90s. I don't know of many people that have chosen to be a fan of a bad team. Maybe they are out there.

What about those of us who chose in September 1973?

ckg927
09-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Then again, Deadspin has a "Why Your Team Sucks" feature and it does in fact include the Bills in the mix.

Plus, there's fan comments, too! There was one from Toronto running a lot of smack about not only the Bills, but the Sabres. Here's my response....

1. You may be keeping us in Buffalo, but when WE come up to YOUR crib, you can't stay away from the Rogers Centre fast enough. The only reason that place looks decent is because that place gets papered with cheap or free ducats. And you say you want the NFL.... PSSHH! Please. The NFL will NEVER come to Toronto...for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is...that dome doesn't have ENOUGH seats! Plus, I don't think the CFL will look too kindly on the NFL coming to their turf.

2. As for your blast on why the hell anyone would live in Buffalo: oh, I don't know. You tell me why you'd live in a city that your mayor made a laughingstock for weeks on end when "the crack video" surfaced. That guy sweated so much, I'm surprised that they couldn't make some Canadian bacon from it. Plus...do you REALLY want me to list all that's wrong with Toronto? (I go there enough, so I have some idea of what's going on...)

feldspar
09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
What about those of us who chose in September 1973?

If you lived out of the area in those days, I don't know how you could even follow the team.

Was it because of OJ? If so, ouch in the long-run.

Anyway, long-term die-hard Bills fans deserve some success here...FINALLY. People that "leave for other teams" should not be allowed back at any point.