PDA

View Full Version : Bomani Jones on E.J.

mixxum
09-03-2013, 04:11 PM
He just said on ESPN that the Phenom QB at Florida state gives them a much higher ceiling then last year because E.J. Manuel really held Florida State back.

Is this true?

WTF, that means that we have a second rate QB with first rate expectations.

Thanks for ruining my day Bomani.

SquishDaFish
09-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Problem #1 is your watching/listening to ESPN. Garbage tv/radio

superbills
09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Who the hell is Bomani Jones and why is he relevant?

NOT THE DUDE...
09-03-2013, 04:17 PM
ESPN, used to love that program. now it's the view for sports fans... ugh

mixxum
09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Bonermommyjones is an analyst on Around The Horn.

SquishDaFish
09-03-2013, 04:27 PM
ESPN is now garbage tv. Watch foxsports1 or nflnetwork

mixxum
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
ESPN is now garbage tv. Watch foxsports1 or nflnetwork

no

Goobylal
09-03-2013, 04:43 PM
FSU's problem is still what it was WRT winning a national championship: it's defense. Even moreso since it got a lot worse. Not to mention Pitt isn't a good team.

DraftBoy
09-03-2013, 05:33 PM
He just said on ESPN that the Phenom QB at Florida state gives them a much higher ceiling then last year because E.J. Manuel really held Florida State back.

Is this true?

WTF, that means that we have a second rate QB with first rate expectations.

Thanks for ruining my day Bomani.

This is a common thought.

Jimbo has his fair share of issues, but most people familiar with the program were excited for EJ to leave to get to this kid. You have to keep in mind that's not to say EJ blows but this kid is just that good. Manual has a lot of growing to do as a QB still.

WagonCircler
09-03-2013, 05:34 PM
He's a racist jackass/gang-banger apologist who couldn't even break into a regular slot on the Raleigh sports talk AM station. He was HATED.

How he ever landed on ESPN would be mind-boggling if it weren't for the fact that he fits in perfectly there, these days.

DraftBoy
09-03-2013, 05:38 PM
He's a racist jackass/gang-banger apologist who couldn't even break into a regular slot on the Raleigh sports talk AM station. He was HATED.

How he ever landed on ESPN would be mind-boggling if it weren't for the fact that he fits in perfectly there, these days.

Don't know about his Raleigh market share but on Sirius his numbers were phenomenal. Had one of the most downloaded podcasts for any sports talk show on Itunes that wasn't based on ESPN. He's one of the most popular Under 40 sports writers there are.

FS1 and ESPN got into a bidding war for his services.

better days
09-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Don't know about his Raleigh market share but on Sirius his numbers were phenomenal. Had one of the most downloaded podcasts for any sports talk show on Itunes that wasn't based on ESPN. He's one of the most popular Under 40 sports writers there are.

I'm happy he went with ESPN. Looking forward to watching FS1 more & more.

alohabillsfan
09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Omg! One freaking game and the media has given Jamius the heisman already! Let the season play out if not watch last years early heisman named geno!!

WagonCircler
09-03-2013, 07:45 PM

What publication does he write for?

He was the "Coach Sal" on 850 The Buzz (fill-ins, weekends).And he was HORRIBLE. He spent a full 4 hours defending gang bangers who play in the NFL (and gang bangers in general). I'm pretty sure he was gone after that. A complete and total douchebag.

EDIT: The Coach Sal reference was to describe his time slots only. He was the polar opposite of Sal (except when Sal talks Tebow).

alohabillsfan
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
The fact that his podcast or whatever was the most popular downloads is a direct reflection of the moronic idiots out there with nothing else to do!! Rofl

psubills62
09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
The FSU fans I've talked to did not like Manuel at all.

Hopefully Marrone and co. can develop him, but as DB says, he still has a ways to go.

Jameis Winston sure looked good last night. Granted, it was against Pitt.

DraftBoy
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
What publication does he write for?

He was the "Coach Sal" on 850 The Buzz (fill-ins, weekends).And he was HORRIBLE. He spent a full 4 hours defending gang bangers who play in the NFL (and gang bangers in general). I'm pretty sure he was gone after that. A complete and total douchebag.

EDIT: The Coach Sal reference was to describe his time slots only. He was the polar opposite of Sal (except when Sal talks Tebow).

I don't know if he writes for anyone anymore (TV Money is better than writer money). I know he's on DLHQ daily and regularly on ATH. He's written for years for ESPN and did a year or so with SB Nation recently.

TigerJ
09-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I saw a little of the FSU-Pitt game and Jameis Winston was impressive, to be sure. Even if Pitt is a third rate opponent, 25 of 27 passing is a great stat. I don't know that Jameis Winston won't be a better QB for Florida State. That doesn't necessarily mean E J Manuel can't be a good or even elite QB for Buffalo. Some QBs are better suited for a particular offensive system than others and some QBs can fit just about any system well. Jimbo Fisher has a very different system from the Marrone/Hackett system, and if Ryan Nassib's success at Syracuse is any indicator, Nate Hackett is a heck of a QB coach.

The Jokeman
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
This is a common thought.

Jimbo has his fair share of issues, but most people familiar with the program were excited for EJ to leave to get to this kid. You have to keep in mind that's not to say EJ blows but this kid is just that good. Manual has a lot of growing to do as a QB still.
1 game does not make a career. Yet It's hard not to fault the job that kid did as his numbers were outstanding but let's see what he does the rest of the season. I mean this time last season it looked like Genot Smith was going to be elite. Also your right Manuel and almost every NFL QB not named Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers have a lot of growing to guy in terms of NFL talent.

Mad Max
09-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Kurt Warner- Undrafted
Tom Brady -6th round
Joe Montana -3rd round
Drew Brees -2nd round
Aaron Rodgers -24th pick

There's five Super Bowl winners off the top
of my head all HOF inductees/future
candidates that a whole bunch of Bomani Jones didn't think much of
early on in their careers.

Ill be honest I wasn't thrilled with the EJ pick I didn't see greatness in him, I don't like FSU QBs in general in the NFL. Not a good track record. i Would have waited one more year for Bridgewater, Boyd, maybe Manziel.

Having said that I hope to be quickly proven wrong like so many bomani
joness before me with Ej adding his name to my list.

Thurmal
09-03-2013, 10:47 PM

Pretty much. He plays the "militant, angry black man" stereotype on ESPN. That channel is so full of over-the-top commentators that I'm not sure if they are playing characters or themselves.

Mouldsie
09-04-2013, 12:21 AM
I graded EJ as a 3rd/4th rounder, comparable to Blaine Gabbert in my mind. That's all I have to say.

Beebe's Kid
09-04-2013, 12:41 AM
So, either you like the ESPN guy, or you hate him, but it is all dictated on whether or not you agree with him about the new FSU QB, which he thinks is better than Manuel...this upsets you because the Bills didn't draft the 'better' guy, who still has a college career to play, and all of this makes you question the EJ pick. Also, if you questioned the EJ pick, now is the time to prove your were right...and he has played two preseason games, with zero regular season experience, but we can't win without him. After he develops, of course.

This was a little hard to follow, but I think I got it.

I will reserve comment on whether or not EJ was a good pick for after he actually plays a few seasons in the NFL, and may reserve the right to allow the jury to remain out even then. If there is a talking head out there that agrees with me, he/she works for my favorite network, and is the only one that knows what the hell they are talking about.

I failed to grade out this years draft, but this thread is terrible. Thanks for allowing me to contribute.

Night Train
09-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Why don't we do something unique and actually give Manuel a chance to play a few dozen NFL games before giving him internet last rites as a failure.

"This guy said"..."the people I talk to"...who gives a crap.

Watch him yourself.

TrEd FTW
09-04-2013, 05:00 AM
I graded EJ as a 3rd/4th rounder, comparable to Blaine Gabbert in my mind. That's all I have to say.

Well, that settles it. He's a bust. No need to play any games.

TacklingDummy
09-04-2013, 05:27 AM

We will get the chance to draft the next FSU great QB when people come to the conclusion our current one is a bust.

DraftBoy
09-04-2013, 06:33 AM
1 game does not make a career. Yet It's hard not to fault the job that kid did as his numbers were outstanding but let's see what he does the rest of the season. I mean this time last season it looked like Genot Smith was going to be elite. Also your right Manuel and almost every NFL QB not named Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers have a lot of growing to guy in terms of NFL talent.

Not about one game.

swiper
09-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Bonermommyjones is an analyst on Around The Horn.

One of the many garbage, time-filler shows they offer.

swiper
09-04-2013, 07:17 AM

I forget where I read it, but one of the draft experts wrote before the draft that if Blaine Gabbert was coming out in the 2013 he would easily be the first QB taken.

alohabillsfan
09-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Worst comparable ever!!! Roflmao clueless !!

BillsFever21
09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Jameis Winston was better in his first game then I think Manuel ever was during his Florida State days. I'm glad the Panthers are in the ACC now so I was able to see it live. I always said that if FSU every played in Pitt that I would travel to the game since I'm close to there. Winston put on a show for being his first collegiate game.

I liked Manuel when he was at FSU but I never saw him as a great QB. I saw him with some skills to be an average starter in the league but never with any greatness. He was better then Christian Ponder though and I was completely shocked when Ponder was drafted that high a couple of years ago. I saw Ponder as a 3rd rounder and eventually a career backup and Manuel as a 2nd rounder and a middle of the pack starter. He would've been a 2nd rounder if Buffalo didn't draft him earlier then anyone else expected.

It's looking like Ponder will end up being a career backup unless he makes huge strides soon. He should've never been drafted that high. Hopefully Manuel will turn into a decent starter though. His leadership was good in college but his accuracy wasn't the best.

Goobylal
09-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Jameis Winston was better in his first game then I think Manuel ever was during his Florida State days. I'm glad the Panthers are in the ACC now so I was able to see it live. I always said that if FSU every played in Pitt that I would travel to the game since I'm close to there. Winston put on a show for being his first collegiate game.

I liked Manuel when he was at FSU but I never saw him as a great QB. I saw him with some skills to be an average starter in the league but never with any greatness. He was better then Christian Ponder though and I was completely shocked when Ponder was drafted that high a couple of years ago. I saw Ponder as a 3rd rounder and eventually a career backup and Manuel as a 2nd rounder and a middle of the pack starter. He would've been a 2nd rounder if Buffalo didn't draft him earlier then anyone else expected.

It's looking like Ponder will end up being a career backup unless he makes huge strides soon. He should've never been drafted that high. Hopefully Manuel will turn into a decent starter though. His leadership was good in college but his accuracy wasn't the best.
Let's first see how Winston does against a real team. Pitt was not one. And FSU still won't win a national championship because they have the same problem they've had for awhile: a non-championship caliber defense.

And Jameis might have better college stats than EJ, but EJ's record, especially in the bowls, will be tough to beat. Whether that makes him a good (and better than EJ) NFL QB still remains to be seen.

BillsFever21
09-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Let's first see how Winston does against a real team. Pitt was not one. And FSU still won't win a national championship because they have the same problem they've had for awhile: a non-championship caliber defense.

And Jameis might have better college stats than EJ, but EJ's record, especially in the bowls, will be tough to beat. Whether that makes him a good (and better than EJ) NFL QB still remains to be seen.

I never said Winston will be an NFL star. Being good in college doesn't equate to being a good NFL QB. If that was the case then Tebow would be a great QB. He sure had one hell of a game to start his college career off though.

better days
09-05-2013, 12:53 AM

Well, I did not watch much of Manuel at the Fla Girls school, but he looked terrible against the Gators.

I did think he was the best QB in the Senior Bowl & he won me over with his interviews before the draft.

We will see how Good Manuel becomes, but as Marrone has said, Players do keep improving & getting better.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Daint no pleasin some ayuns!

I memba a drunk bill fan callin Jim Kelly a stupid bald ****.

streetkings01
09-05-2013, 01:01 PM

And Jameis might have better college stats than EJ, but EJ's record, especially in the bowls, will be tough to beat. Whether that makes him a good (and better than EJ) NFL QB still remains to be seen.Why do you keep saying FSU wont win a NC because of the defense? Jimbo has put together top 5 recruiting classes since he took over..........he hired a DC who came from Alabama.........it'll take time for the players to gets used to the new D but talent wise we're as good as anyone in the country.......5* and 4* recruits all over the defense.

Long time FSU fan

streetkings01
09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Winston is one of those stud QBs that comes around once in awhile..........it's not based off one game he's just that good. For him to beat out Coker who could start for every team in the country just shows how talented this kid is. The sad part is Coker will probably transfer after this season.

sukie
09-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I like Bomani Jones. I hear him on the Dan Lebatard Show every Thursday... Wait what's today? Oh Boy!!!!!!

PTI
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Thread title is gay...........

Goobylal
09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I never said Winston will be an NFL star. Being good in college doesn't equate to being a good NFL QB. If that was the case then Tebow would be a great QB. He sure had one hell of a game to start his college career off though.
Fair enough.

Why do you keep saying FSU wont win a NC because of the defense? Jimbo has put together top 5 recruiting classes since he took over..........he hired a DC who came from Alabama.........it'll take time for the players to gets used to the new D but talent wise we're as good as anyone in the country.......5* and 4* recruits all over the defense.

Long time FSU fan
We can revisit this later. If they do when a championship, you can text say "I told you so."

BillsFever21
09-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Well, I did not watch much of Manuel at the Fla Girls school, but he looked terrible against the Gators.

I did think he was the best QB in the Senior Bowl & he won me over with his interviews before the draft.

We will see how Good Manuel becomes, but as Marrone has said, Players do keep improving & getting better.

He was completely terrible in the Gators game last year. I believe he threw 3 INT's. I still remember punching my chair and throwing things across the room like I do during Bills games. Hopefully it doesn't continue with the QB of my college team being the 1st round draft choice of my NFL team.

Unless Marrone does a great job of coaching him up into the right system then I don't see him as a top QB. I could see him somewhere in the middle of the pack that could be part of a successful team but not the guy that carries the team. Maybe an Andy Dalton, Josh Freeman or potentially Joe Flacco type of QB. That would be fine with me if he's a good leader and can be a clutch playoff QB which is one of the most important aspects of the position.