X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

A clean slate

Nix has completely rebuilt this team in his time as GM. There are only four players on the roster that were Bills before 2010.

Now with a new front office, GM, HC & entire Coaching staff, this is not your daddy's Bills.

The past 13 years are OVER & people that think the Bills will be the same as they have been in the past will soon be proved wrong.

As Marcus Easley said, Marrone has given all the players a clean slate.

It is now up to them to write a new chapter in Bills history.

As Marv used to say: Where would you rather be than right here right now?

And as Jon Gruden said at Kickoff at the Ralph: Learn to love this time & this team, Why not the Buffalo Bills right here right now?

GO BILLS...........................and screw the 2-14 crowd.
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: A clean slate

TMQ chimes in...

..."The Bills have suffered under a succession of bland head coaches and time-server front-office types such as Bumbling Buddy Nix, who seemed perfectly content to lose. Bumbling Buddy squandered the third overall choice of the 2011 draft on Marcell Dareus, a journeyman; the next four gentlemen selected were A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith, all Pro Bowlers. Nix wasted the second choice of the 2011 second round on Aaron Williams, a journeyman; the next two players selected were Pro Bowler Andy Dalton and Super Bowl star Colin Kaepernick. Just to prove it was no fluke, Nix used Buffalo's third-round pick of 2011 for linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, passing on the better-regarded linebacker Martez Wilson. Sheppard is already gone, as The Eagles would say. In another draft, Nix threw a second-round choice out the window on Torell Troup, who has two career starts; the next person selected was Pro Bowler Rob Gronkowski, who's even from Buffalo. Every NFL general manager makes a dumb pick now and then. Bumbling Buddy seemed actively to avoid the blue-chip prospects."

Now with the team run by Doug Marrone and the front office in the hands of Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley, all relatively young and eager to make their reputations, perhaps spark will be added. First things first: The NFL's test of manhood is how a team performs in its division, and the Bills are on a nightmarish 3-23 streak versus New England. Buffalo's first game is against Flying Elvii, who will arrive in western New York with a league-best 9-0 streak on opening day. Nothing's going to change in the Bills' fortunes until they can defeat the Patriots."...

TMQ says the NFL talks tough on safety but should be even more stringent and lead by example for millions of youth football players.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
      TMQ chimes in...

..."The Bills have suffered under a succession of bland head coaches and time-server front-office types such as Bumbling Buddy Nix, who seemed perfectly content to lose. Bumbling Buddy squandered the third overall choice of the 2011 draft on Marcell Dareus, a journeyman; the next four gentlemen selected were A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith, all Pro Bowlers. Nix wasted the second choice of the 2011 second round on Aaron Williams, a journeyman; the next two players selected were Pro Bowler Andy Dalton and Super Bowl star Colin Kaepernick. Just to prove it was no fluke, Nix used Buffalo's third-round pick of 2011 for linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, passing on the better-regarded linebacker Martez Wilson. Sheppard is already gone, as The Eagles would say. In another draft, Nix threw a second-round choice out the window on Torell Troup, who has two career starts; the next person selected was Pro Bowler Rob Gronkowski, who's even from Buffalo. Every NFL general manager makes a dumb pick now and then. Bumbling Buddy seemed actively to avoid the blue-chip prospects."

Now with the team run by Doug Marrone and the front office in the hands of Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley, all relatively young and eager to make their reputations, perhaps spark will be added. First things first: The NFL's test of manhood is how a team performs in its division, and the Bills are on a nightmarish 3-23 streak versus New England. Buffalo's first game is against Flying Elvii, who will arrive in western New York with a league-best 9-0 streak on opening day. Nothing's going to change in the Bills' fortunes until they can defeat the Patriots."...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/95...tougher-safety
      ​Screw ESPN & screw the 2-14 crowd.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

I hope the Bills win early and often but the truth is that Buddy Nix was incompetent.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          I hope the Bills win early and often but the truth is that Buddy Nix was incompetent.
          You don't stop being incompetent, you either are incompetent or you got derailed off your original plan due to circumstances beyond your control. That being said, I think voices of change do not equal success but a chance of success. Right now, we're in a spot of change & renewal (as BD said). That doesn't mean it's going to get a lot better but it can't get much worse. We've been an uncompetitive joke for multiple years now, so any chance at moving up seems better than no chance. If you're starving & I throw you a cracker, it'll be the best dang cracker you ever had.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Hey I love the enthusiasm, but this is Nix's second chance to give us an "all new" culture after the first was a completely dismal flameout. He leaves Buffalo with a 16-32 record and people want to praise him like the second coming of Polian.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              Hey I love the enthusiasm, but this is Nix's second chance to give us an "all new" culture after the first was a completely dismal flameout. He leaves Buffalo with a 16-32 record and people want to praise him like the second coming of Polian.
              I don't get where you get that.

Yes it is the 2nd HC, but the team was missing many pieces before this draft, especially the BIGGEST piece, the Franchise QB.

Nix said he did not want to leave the bills before getting the team a franchise QB, let's hope he got him.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                I don't get where you get that.
                From this thread among many.

Yes it is the 2nd HC, but the team was missing many pieces before this draft, especially the BIGGEST piece, the Franchise QB.
                Whose fault is that? He had three offseasons to build this 6-10 juggernaut.

Nix said he did not want to leave the bills before getting the team a franchise QB, let's hope he got him.
                I hope so too. Manuel will have to be utterly fantastic to salvage Nix's tenure though.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

​Screw ESPN & screw the 2-14 crowd.
                  Easterbrook was born & raised in Buffalo. Loves the Bills.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

buddy's draft history is washed over by bills fans because he stopped the out and out first round busts year after year. but he sucked at getting depth. how many drafts did he have? 3? and of those 2 had picks that didn't survive TC. That's pathetic. and that's what leaves the team so susceptile to the injury bug.

even if you buy into the "the bills are finaly on the right track" if alonzo goes down, we have the same crap LB core to try and back him up. and we still have no DB's after seemingly drafting them every year. Where is our OL depth? It was here and pretty good and they cut it when they let levitre walk.

Some of this is on Buddy and some of it is on the standard operating procedures of the front office.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      There are plenty of guys on this board born & raised in Buffalo as well that claim to love the Bills.

Then they only post NEGATIVE CRAP like this article.

Fathers born & raised in Buffalo beat their kids & wives but claim they love them as well.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                        IIRC, a Kenmore West H.S. alumnus. He remembers the "radar" defense...

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

There are plenty of guys on this board born & raised in Buffalo as well that claim to love the Bills.

Then they only post NEGATIVE CRAP like this article.

Fathers born & raised in Buffalo beat their kids & wives but claim they love them as well.
                          again, you don't have to be blind to the realities of the team. i know the bills have almost no logical shot at being good enough to weather a season of injuries even if everyone else is performing. doesn't mean i don't want them to win. i just know the chances are really low.

Whereas you, better days, will be very optimistic and on sunday night, you'll be stunned that it didn't work out and have some angry comments on monday and then tuesday you are back to believing that it's salvagable.

one year you are going to be right. and it might be this one. and i'll gladly start a thread saying, "Better days figured it out and i was wrong" and then in the subject i'll actually say, "i was glad he was right."

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                            again, you don't have to be blind to the realities of the team. i know the bills have almost no logical shot at being good enough to weather a season of injuries even if everyone else is performing. doesn't mean i don't want them to win. i just know the chances are really low.

Whereas you, better days, will be very optimistic and on sunday night, you'll be stunned that it didn't work out and have some angry comments on monday and then tuesday you are back to believing that it's salvagable.

one year you are going to be right. and it might be this one. and i'll gladly start a thread saying, "Better days figured it out and i was wrong" and then in the subject i'll actually say, "i was glad he was right."
                            I do know the realities of the team.

NEW HC that Coached a MEDIOCRE Syracuse team to the Pinstripe bowl. The Pinstripe bowl? Never heard of it before this year.

Rookie QB drafted @ #16 that NOBODY expected.

A DC who was the DC of a Rex Ryan team.

I get all that.

I'm not saying the Bills will go to the Super Bowl this year, but I don't expect them to go 2-14 either.

I think the pieces are in place for a turnaround & it could be a fun year like Kelly's first year in Buffalo.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

I do know the realities of the team.

NEW HC that Coached a MEDIOCRE Syracuse team to the Pinstripe bowl. The Pinstripe bowl? Never heard of it before this year.

Rookie QB drafted @ #16 that NOBODY expected.

A DC who was the DC of a Rex Ryan team.

I get all that.

I'm not saying the Bills will go to the Super Bowl this year, but I don't expect them to go 2-14 either.

I think the pieces are in place for a turnaround & it could be a fun year like Kelly's first year in Buffalo.
                              No, not 2 -14. Dunno who thinks that.

I picked 'em at 5 -11. And you're right - should be fun to watch...and see what this new coaching staff tries to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X