X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Patriots now face a Mike Pettine defense in Buffalo

while there's lot of talk about EJ and our offense, not much is said about our D. Not a whole lot of talk about Mario and the D. Our defensive backfield is a huge "?" so it's up to our Dl to disrupt Brady's game.

I'm not completely sold on Pettines D having had plenty of success vs. the Pats when you look at his history against them. We talent up front with Mario-Kyle-Dareus- but they have to come out like beasts.

“Quite a bit, percentage-wise,” coach Bill Belichick said in Tuesday’s conference call. “There are some tendencies that are stronger than others, but yes, blitz pickup will be definitely something that we need to work on this week, no question about it.

“This looks a lot like the Jets’ defense, just different. This year, Buffalo looks like the Jets schematically.”
    While there are a lot of uncertainties concerning what the Patriots will see from the Buffalo offense under the new coaching staff commanded by Doug Marrone, there is also a new yet familiar face running the Bills defense.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Patriots now face a Mike Pettine defense in Buffalo

I like this stat.

In the four years Pettine was with the Jets, his defenses held opposing quarterbacks to an NFL-low 186.3 passing yards per game. They also forced the highest percentage of three-and-outs (29.4 percent) and held opponents to a 34.6 percent third-down conversion rate.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

I think it's very difficult to separate Pettine's performance from having Revis Island. Being able to leave one guy guarding your opponent's best weapon gives you a ton of freedom to draw up exotic looks and generally create havoc.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        I think it's very difficult to separate Pettine's performance from having Revis Island. Being able to leave one guy guarding your opponent's best weapon gives you a ton of freedom to draw up exotic looks and generally create havoc.
        When he is healthy, Gilmore will be the Bills Revis.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

He didnt have Revis last year and still had a good pass D.

Comment

• malvado78
            • Mar 2006

Cue the "It was Rex Ryan's defense. Pettine was only there to hold Rex's jockstrap." response...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
              When he is healthy, Gilmore will be the Bills Revis.
              Revis is one of the best players in the NFL, at any position. Its one thing to think he'll be taking Revis' role in the D, it's another to just badly assume he'll play as well.

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
              He had his playcalling duties stripped and was let go at the end of the season. Meanwhile, they lost to the Pats twice and Brady went 5 TDs vs. 0 INTs in two games against them. They were alright but not nearly the juggernaut D they were in 09 and 10.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by malvado78 View Post
                Cue the "It was Rex Ryan's defense. Pettine was only there to hold Rex's jockstrap." response...

we just don't know for sure. players on the jets routinely praise rex as being the master mind. we'll see how much pettine really learned. they look light years ahead of last year's defense by at least diagnosing a play quickly. but i just don't think we will know what pettine's standalone ability is until we see 4 weeks of him running the defense.

and the guy has a lot of holes that would be hard for the greatest DC to plan around.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  while there's lot of talk about EJ and our offense, not much is said about our D. Not a whole lot of talk about Mario and the D. Our defensive backfield is a huge "?" so it's up to our Dl to disrupt Brady's game.

I'm not completely sold on Pettines D having had plenty of success vs. the Pats when you look at his history against them. We talent up front with Mario-Kyle-Dareus- but they have to come out like beasts.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...UvL/story.html
                  Fool's Gold in 3...2...1...

I saw this posted by somebody yesterday, and thought it was hilarious.

Mario might not have set the world on fire last year, but he was much better after the wrist surgery. It would be nice if he came out and had a monster ****ing season...not just because of the excessive negativity toward how he performed in an overwhelmingly unspectacular defensive unit last year, but to also shut up the detractors. It would be nice to see one investment finally pay off for this team, and it is always fun to see sacks from your defense.

I would also like to see Dareus have a breakout year...you know...so he doesn't look like such a bust and all. It would be nice to have a monster season or two out of him before he walks after his rookie contract.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...UvL/story.html
                    I read the Boston Globe article - it was like reading a box of pancake mix - "full of fluffy goodness."

I'd be surprised if BUF is planning on tossing the blitz at the rate they did in the preseason. I think you are right - got to get a good showing from the DL...
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      I think you are right - got to get a good showing from the DL...
                      we won't get a lot of coverage sacks with Gilmore out. Our DL has to dominate the Pats OL or Brady will pick McKelvin and co and a questionable safety group as well.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• sukie
                        Seriously?
                        • Sep 2012

Sorry boys, just can't get all fired up optomystic about this weekend. I sense a home pants down spankin'.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

we won't get a lot of coverage sacks with Gilmore out. Our DL has to dominate the Pats OL or Brady will pick McKelvin and co and a questionable safety group as well.
                          I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Wms. line up as a DT is some 4-3 sets.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                            Given their soft run defense last season one can understand why.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Revis is one of the best players in the NFL, at any position. Its one thing to think he'll be taking Revis' role in the D, it's another to just badly assume he'll play as well.

I never said or assumed Gilmore would play as well as Revis, but I have no doubt he will play better than the Replacement for Revis last year after Revis was injured.

He had his playcalling duties stripped and was let go at the end of the season. Meanwhile, they lost to the Pats twice and Brady went 5 TDs vs. 0 INTs in two games against them. They were alright but not nearly the juggernaut D they were in 09 and 10.

Pettine was not let go. His contract was over & Pettine refused to sign an extension. The Jets WANTED to keep Pettine, but he wanted to move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X