PDA

View Full Version : Patriots now face a Mike Pettine defense in Buffalo

justasportsfan
09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
while there's lot of talk about EJ and our offense, not much is said about our D. Not a whole lot of talk about Mario and the D. Our defensive backfield is a huge "?" so it's up to our Dl to disrupt Brady's game.

I'm not completely sold on Pettines D having had plenty of success vs. the Pats when you look at his history against them. We talent up front with Mario-Kyle-Dareus- but they have to come out like beasts.

“Quite a bit, percentage-wise,” coach Bill Belichick said in Tuesday’s conference call. “There are some tendencies that are stronger than others, but yes, blitz pickup will be definitely something that we need to work on this week, no question about it.

“This looks a lot like the Jets’ defense, just different. This year, Buffalo looks like the Jets schematically.”
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/03/patriots-now-face-mike-pettine-defense-buffalo/aSRaKYXrB9kvfj4ePDqUvL/story.html

The King
09-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I like this stat.

In the four years Pettine was with the Jets, his defenses held opposing quarterbacks to an NFL-low 186.3 passing yards per game. They also forced the highest percentage of three-and-outs (29.4 percent) and held opponents to a 34.6 percent third-down conversion rate.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-04-2013, 11:20 AM
I think it's very difficult to separate Pettine's performance from having Revis Island. Being able to leave one guy guarding your opponent's best weapon gives you a ton of freedom to draw up exotic looks and generally create havoc.

better days
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I think it's very difficult to separate Pettine's performance from having Revis Island. Being able to leave one guy guarding your opponent's best weapon gives you a ton of freedom to draw up exotic looks and generally create havoc.

When he is healthy, Gilmore will be the Bills Revis.

Mahdi
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM

He didnt have Revis last year and still had a good pass D.

malvado78
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Cue the "It was Rex Ryan's defense. Pettine was only there to hold Rex's jockstrap." response...

IlluminatusUIUC
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
When he is healthy, Gilmore will be the Bills Revis.

Revis is one of the best players in the NFL, at any position. Its one thing to think he'll be taking Revis' role in the D, it's another to just badly assume he'll play as well.

He had his playcalling duties stripped and was let go at the end of the season. Meanwhile, they lost to the Pats twice and Brady went 5 TDs vs. 0 INTs in two games against them. They were alright but not nearly the juggernaut D they were in 09 and 10.

trapezeus
09-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Cue the "It was Rex Ryan's defense. Pettine was only there to hold Rex's jockstrap." response...

we just don't know for sure. players on the jets routinely praise rex as being the master mind. we'll see how much pettine really learned. they look light years ahead of last year's defense by at least diagnosing a play quickly. but i just don't think we will know what pettine's standalone ability is until we see 4 weeks of him running the defense.

and the guy has a lot of holes that would be hard for the greatest DC to plan around.

Beebe's Kid
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
while there's lot of talk about EJ and our offense, not much is said about our D. Not a whole lot of talk about Mario and the D. Our defensive backfield is a huge "?" so it's up to our Dl to disrupt Brady's game.

I'm not completely sold on Pettines D having had plenty of success vs. the Pats when you look at his history against them. We talent up front with Mario-Kyle-Dareus- but they have to come out like beasts.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/03/patriots-now-face-mike-pettine-defense-buffalo/aSRaKYXrB9kvfj4ePDqUvL/story.html

Fool's Gold in 3...2...1...

I saw this posted by somebody yesterday, and thought it was hilarious.

Mario might not have set the world on fire last year, but he was much better after the wrist surgery. It would be nice if he came out and had a monster ****ing season...not just because of the excessive negativity toward how he performed in an overwhelmingly unspectacular defensive unit last year, but to also shut up the detractors. It would be nice to see one investment finally pay off for this team, and it is always fun to see sacks from your defense.

I would also like to see Dareus have a breakout year...you know...so he doesn't look like such a bust and all. It would be nice to have a monster season or two out of him before he walks after his rookie contract.

stuckincincy
09-04-2013, 01:14 PM

I read the Boston Globe article - it was like reading a box of pancake mix - "full of fluffy goodness." :p:

I'd be surprised if BUF is planning on tossing the blitz at the rate they did in the preseason. I think you are right - got to get a good showing from the DL...

justasportsfan
09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
I think you are right - got to get a good showing from the DL...

we won't get a lot of coverage sacks with Gilmore out. Our DL has to dominate the Pats OL or Brady will pick McKelvin and co and a questionable safety group as well.

sukie
09-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Sorry boys, just can't get all fired up optomystic about this weekend. I sense a home pants down spankin'.

stuckincincy
09-04-2013, 01:26 PM
we won't get a lot of coverage sacks with Gilmore out. Our DL has to dominate the Pats OL or Brady will pick McKelvin and co and a questionable safety group as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Wms. line up as a DT is some 4-3 sets.

EDS
09-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Given their soft run defense last season one can understand why.

better days
09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Revis is one of the best players in the NFL, at any position. Its one thing to think he'll be taking Revis' role in the D, it's another to just badly assume he'll play as well.

I never said or assumed Gilmore would play as well as Revis, but I have no doubt he will play better than the Replacement for Revis last year after Revis was injured.

He had his playcalling duties stripped and was let go at the end of the season. Meanwhile, they lost to the Pats twice and Brady went 5 TDs vs. 0 INTs in two games against them. They were alright but not nearly the juggernaut D they were in 09 and 10.

Pettine was not let go. His contract was over & Pettine refused to sign an extension. The Jets WANTED to keep Pettine, but he wanted to move on.

stuckincincy
09-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Given their soft run defense last season one can understand why.

Yep. The way the marketing goes is, "We were tough against the pass last season" - interpretation: They ran against us like we were a troop of Brownies on a flower-picking expidition. Or, "We will be back this coming season with this rock solid run defense - interpretation: Our pass defenders were wearing concrete shoes and couldn't tackle Mother Teresa."

EDS
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Yep. The way the marketing goes is, "We were tough against the pass last season" - interpretation: They ran against us like we were a troop of Brownies on a flower-picking expidition. Or, "We will be back this coming season with this rock solid run defense - interpretation: Our pass defenders were wearing concrete shoes and couldn't tackle Mother Teresa."

True. I think it was two years ago when the Bills were historically poor against the run and some people on the board were talking about the fact that they were not giving up alot of passing yards.

Meathead
09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I'd be surprised if BUF is planning on tossing the blitz at the rate they did in the preseason.

early preseason. he dialed it way back the last couple weeks

but we all know you gotta pressure marcia. even if the front four did pretty well all game theyd still have to do a lot of blitzing. they really have no choice bc letting marcia have any time at all and its pretty much an auto-loss

Meathead
09-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Pettine was not let go. His contract was over & Pettine refused to sign an extension. The Jets WANTED to keep Pettine, but he wanted to move on.

hey thats what i remembered too, at least about being let go. pettine specifically said he decided to leave ny to be out from under rexs sexy wing. rex said good luck except if you go to buffalo so pettine naturally went to buffalo (thanks rex!)

stuckincincy
09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
early preseason. he dialed it way back the last couple weeks

but we all know you gotta pressure marcia. even if the front four did pretty well all game theyd still have to do a lot of blitzing. they really have no choice bc letting marcia have any time at all and its pretty much an auto-loss

I think he dialed back because he listened to the mounting (wise) consul that said that that's no way to get the true skinny on your talent. He wanted to make a splashy opening, IMO.

BUF's best bet to combat Brady is to pour it on with the interior DL - that's where you, if you choose to do so, to have your blitzer, zooming in after their C and G's are a bit back on their heels. I don't think BUF can afford the luxury of a CB or S blitz yet.

Give their wrs the elbow shudder within the 5 yard zone - don't let them get to the middle, which is Brady's great skill, IMO - seeing a receiver open for an instant in the middle. Impede whoever plays TE for a moment.

The problem with all this bah-de-bah I just typed is how to deal with NE's run game. Theri backs are not household names, but they do the job. BUF's rookie MLB is in for a test. A tackle is best, but interference so others do is a must.

Big weight on Alonzo's shoulders.

ParanoidAndroid
09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Sorry boys, just can't get all fired up optomystic about this weekend. I sense a home pants down spankin'.

I choose magic!

swiper
09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I like this stat.

That was more Revis than it was Pettine.

better days
09-04-2013, 05:46 PM
That was more Revis than it was Pettine.

Yeah, Revis is so good he is able to cover EVERY single receiver on the Field.

I'm happy to have him on the Bucs.

X-Era
09-05-2013, 06:06 AM
I think to shut down Brady we have to pressure Brady and hold up on the back end. Due to the Pats great OL, questions on our DL's ability to shed blocks, and the questionable secondary we have due to injuries I'm real worried about this weekend.

I hope it all works and if it doesn't I won't blame Pettine.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-05-2013, 06:53 AM
I never said or assumed Gilmore would play as well as Revis, but I have no doubt he will play better than the Replacement for Revis last year after Revis was injured.

The Jets' replacement was Antonio Cromartie, who is nowhere close to Revis but is still a multiple pro bowler (including last year). Gilmore is an injured sophomore with half a good season under his belt. He's a fine young talent, but again you are just assuming he's going to outplay an established pro bowl player.

I didn't mean "let go" as in fired, I should have made that clearer. He was allowed to walk without much resistance. I mean, he signed for the same job with a division rival and the Jets didn't even try to bid against us.

GingerP
09-05-2013, 07:18 AM
I didn't mean "let go" as in fired, I should have made that clearer. He was allowed to walk without much resistance. I mean, he signed for the same job with a division rival and the Jets didn't even try to bid against us.

The Jets offered him a contract to return and he turned it down. He felt that as long as Rex was there he wouldn't be able to distinguish himself.

I do think people read a little too much into Pettine. It comes down to the players performing. However, he is an aggressive coach and that should be a nice change of pace. He is a good DC, but some people act like his system alone is going to get it done.

coastal
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Fool's Gold in 3...2...1...

I saw this posted by somebody yesterday, and thought it was hilarious.

Mario might not have set the world on fire last year, but he was much better after the wrist surgery. It would be nice if he came out and had a monster ****ing season...not just because of the excessive negativity toward how he performed in an overwhelmingly unspectacular defensive unit last year, but to also shut up the detractors. It would be nice to see one investment finally pay off for this team, and it is always fun to see sacks from your defense.

I would also like to see Dareus have a breakout year...you know...so he doesn't look like such a bust and all. It would be nice to have a monster season or two out of him before he walks after his rookie contract.
Hope in one hand... **** in the other.

coastal
09-05-2013, 07:20 AM
The key is going to be stopping the run and the preseason did nothing to lend me to believe we're going to do well in that area.

better days
09-05-2013, 07:44 AM
[/B]The Jets' replacement was Antonio Cromartie, who is nowhere close to Revis but is still a multiple pro bowler (including last year). Gilmore is an injured sophomore with half a good season under his belt. He's a fine young talent, but again you are just assuming he's going to outplay an established pro bowl player.
say he

Yes, I have seen enough of Gilmore to say he is BETTER than Cromartie.

The Jets WANTED to keep Pettine. HE DID NOT WANT TO STAY. There is no franchise tag for Coaches.

justasportsfan
09-05-2013, 07:52 AM
[/B]

theres no better offer than getting a chance to run your own defense without Rexy meddling. Pettine gets to run things on his own and make his own name as a DC. Jets could not match that with any sum of $.

better days
09-05-2013, 07:52 AM
The Jets offered him a contract to return and he turned it down. He felt that as long as Rex was there he wouldn't be able to distinguish himself.

I do think people read a little too much into Pettine. It comes down to the players performing. However, he is an aggressive coach and that should be a nice change of pace. He is a good DC, but some people act like his system alone is going to get it done.

It is up to the players to perform & get it done.

But a GOOD Coach with a good system puts players in position to play their best.

And listening to players on both the Bills official board & on the John Murphy show, both offense & defense, they all seem to love ALL the Coaches now in Buffalo as well as the systems the Coaches are using.

ZAZusmc03
09-05-2013, 08:05 AM
The key is going to be stopping the run and the preseason did nothing to lend me to believe we're going to do well in that area.

I completely agree. I'm more worried about Ridley putting up 200+ yards on the ground against our d.

better days
09-05-2013, 08:14 AM
I completely agree. I'm more worried about Ridley putting up 200+ yards on the ground against our d.

I'm not worried about that myself. The Bills have players to set the edge now & much of the Pats* running success is do to their passing game.

Without Hernandez, Welker & Gronk to worry about, I don't think the Pats* will have as much success running the ball this year against any team.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-07-2013, 05:49 PM
The Jets WANTED to keep Pettine. HE DID NOT WANT TO STAY. There is no franchise tag for Coaches.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9638428/the-new-york-jets-nfl-hell
Saw this link:

December 21, 2012: Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine turns down a contract extension. Pettine would go on to take the coordinator job in Buffalo after the season.Buffalo.

Mea culpa