PDA

View Full Version : "Fast Freddy is washed up, let's cut him!"

JoeMama
09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
This is for all the bozos who wanted to run Freddy out of town following one preseason game.

Sounds kind of stupid now, doesn't it?

He's on relatively fresh legs for a guy his age.

And he produced in the same environment that CJ Spiller could not. And understand, I think Spiller is one of the most dynamic runners in the NFL. I'm at a loss to explain why he played so poorly.

But even if you only keep Jackson for the sake of having a handcuff, you keep him all the same.

He's not washed up.

imbondz
09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I've never understand any anti - Freddy rant.

TrEd FTW
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Hahaha. I remember that stupid thread.

"He has three yards on three carries in a meaningless game. Cut him."

SpikedLemonade
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I trust Freddy to not fumble over CJ any day.

Beebe's Kid
09-08-2013, 05:29 PM
I trust Freddy to not fumble over CJ any day.

You can like both of them, and even realize that they are different players with different skill sets.

This is the same **** as when Lynch was here...everybody has to pick one favorite, and to hell with anybody else. Having two very different backs on this team is a good problem to have, especially when they are lining up against different teams.

As for Spiller today...I think it was part play calling, and I think some of it was missing Levitre.

SpikedLemonade
09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
...I think some of it was missing Levitre.

That money is better used staying in Ralph's pocket.

JoeMama
09-08-2013, 05:33 PM

That's what kills me about the homers.

They harbor such resentment for the players getting paid.

But they give their money willingly to the Bills regardless.

Then want Ralph Wilson to keep all of it instead of spending it on good players.

:facepalm:

TrEd FTW
09-08-2013, 05:33 PM

And Mario's. I'd take Levitre over him every day of the week.

Mace
09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I always like how Jackson runs with the authority of a bigger back, makes you forget he's not 240. Will also never forget how fate ripped off his well deserved payday with the knee......

paladin warrior
09-08-2013, 05:50 PM
WHY ?? He not retire yet.

Meathead
09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
today spiller sucked and freddie was freddie. spiller will remain the better option as the featured back, but on this given sunday it might have been the day to ride freddie like a fifty cent hooker

SpikedLemonade
09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
today spiller sucked and freddie was freddie. spiller will remain the better option as the featured back, but on this given sunday it might have been the day to ride freddie like a fifty cent hooker

You ride 50 cent hookers? Crippled gingers really do have a death wish.

Meathead
09-08-2013, 06:10 PM
only when im livin it up

Mace
09-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Personally, I never turn down 2 for a buck.

coastal
09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Hey now... Mario had 1.5 tackles today.

All why having plantar fasciitis.

Btw... Tenn ran for 112 against Pittsburgh of all teams and won.

Beebe's Kid
09-08-2013, 06:19 PM
That's what kills me about the homers.

They harbor such resentment for the players getting paid.

But they give their money willingly to the Bills regardless.

Then want Ralph Wilson to keep all of it instead of spending it on good players.

:facepalm:

it is just a total lack of understanding. They think that they are in charge. The customer is always right, despite being ripped for their dollars on every piece of paraphernalia, $90 dollar ticket, and $10 dollar beer they buy. There is some misguided notion that these guys support the team, and the city, and the fans above all else...because...after all, they pay their checks right?

The fact is that you'll line up like monkeys to see a **** team put on the field, and take it offensively if a player wants what they feel they are entitled to for you doing so. They keep risking their bodies, and you keep buying your tickets, beer, hats, etc. The owners aren't ever going to take a loss because they love the game. To them it is going to work. To you it is this release, and symbol of loyalty and passion, etc.

Ralph Wilson will take your money regardless, and you sit here and blame the players that want paid, and hate them when they leave after their rookie contracts, and wonder why the Bills are in perpetual rebuild mode...why wouldn't they be? Rookie contracts are much cheaper than paying for established players, and you keep showing up thinking that it is the greedy players fault. You pay $25 to park, $7 for **** beef on weck, $4 for a water...you keep coming. Those prices keep going up...they never come down.

It is a business model where the customers feel they have some emotional stake in their getting fleeced for their money, which is harder for people to come by all of the time. It is a psychological mind ****, and you are complicit. The least you could do was hope that the good players were around to see if it is going to keep costing you more money regardless.

Oaf
09-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Probably an X-era thread, right?

Freddie has always owned the Pats, even in shutout/blowout games.

Beebe's Kid
09-08-2013, 06:23 PM
People don't want to hear that though...I mean the players always say how great the fans are...they like you...really...they would like you even if you didn't come with $200 flying out of your pocket 8 times a year, and have basement full of officially licensed memorabilia. Really they would.

Good thing we didn't fall for Levitre's tricks. And Byrd...we showed him too. Who will be the next to go, so people can get all indignant about it? Ralph won't give a ****, or Brandon rather, because you'll still be there, only with $250 coming out of your pockets, and you will be loyal 'til the end.

Night Train
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Fred should never have left the field in the 2nd half. He was money.

DynaPaul
09-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Freddie is still the man. I'm so glad we have 2 awesome runningbacks.

Buffalo Thriller
09-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Ill eat my crow, I said FJ looked slow in the preseason. He was the only guy yesterday that didn't **** up.

justasportsfan
09-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Ill eat my crow, I said FJ looked slow in the preseason. He was the only guy yesterday that didn't **** up.

waiting for X-Era to eat his.

better days
09-09-2013, 09:28 AM
People complaining about the Coaching in other threads.

To me the biggest problem with the Coaching was running Spiller up the gut all game instead of having him bounce it outside which is his game.

JoeMama
09-09-2013, 09:40 AM
People complaining about the Coaching in other threads.

To me the biggest problem with the Coaching was running Spiller up the gut all game instead of having him bounce it outside which is his game.

Spiller has shown the ability to run between the tackles. Not his rookie season, but he did at the tail end of 2011 and all of last season.

I'm hoping we can chalk this up to a bad week and move on.

Around the league, most runningbacks looked pretty pedestrian on the whole.

Historian
09-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Hey now... Mario had 1.5 tackles today.

All why having plantar fasciitis.

Does that mean he had carpal tunnel last year?

THATHURMANATOR
09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Wasn't "Fast Freddie" a WR the Bills had like 8 or 9 years ago?

Crisis
09-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Yes, and his name wasn't even Freddie.

Jonathan Smith, he returned a punt for a TD on a Sunday Night Game where the Pats were blowing us out.

He actually ended up with the Patriots for a bit, too. Seems like they always grab a bunch of our scrub wide outs.

K-Gun
09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Spiller has shown the ability to run between the tackles. Not his rookie season, but he did at the tail end of 2011 and all of last season.

I'm hoping we can chalk this up to a bad week and move on.

Around the league, most runningbacks looked pretty pedestrian on the whole.

That's true, but last year we ran a lot w/ the FB leading out of the I-form where CJ had a few steps to get up to speed, take the ball and hit the hole. They tried to run alot up the gut out of shotgun w/ out a lead blocker. That play works as a draw when the D is thinking pass, but not so much on running downs when EJ wasn't even selling a pass fake. I think his poor performance had mostly to do with the tactics and execution. Both should improve.

I didn't get chance to notice how the new LG blocked. Was his performance a big drop off?

jimmifli
09-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I didn't get chance to notice how the new LG blocked. Was his performance a big drop off?

I don't remember any pulls from yesterday. Andy frequently pulled to the the left past Cordy and lead CJ like a FB. Some big gains came off pulls where Andy took a LB and sprung CJ into the secondary. I didn't notice our line getting blown up but I didn't see any "playmakers" either.

X-Era
09-10-2013, 05:59 AM
waiting for X-Era to eat his.Can't do it.

Freddy is not the starter anymore. He looked slow last season and continued to look unproductive in the preseason. However, he came out and played well in this game.

He's a leader and a captain. If he continues to stay productive as a backup I'll eat crow. I have no problem admitting it when I'm wrong.

Put it this way. I want the one-two punch. If Freddy can still do that and be that guy, great. There is no player I'd rather have in that case. But, if he's lost a step and is just playing because he's a leader, I have a problem with that. We need our backup RB to get yards and keep the chains moving. Based on this game we're all set, no change is needed.

But, I want to see more games before going there.

Back when I posted on this I wanted to see legit competition for his backup spot with a high caliber young guy to push him. I didn't need a 1st rounder; just not camp fodder.

K-Gun
09-10-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't remember any pulls from yesterday. Andy frequently pulled to the the left past Cordy and lead CJ like a FB. Some big gains came off pulls where Andy took a LB and sprung CJ into the secondary. I didn't notice our line getting blown up but I didn't see any "playmakers" either.

The new LG's performance is going to be something to watch closely, particularly in how it effects CJ. I also remember Urbik being way downfield taking out LB's on several long TD's from Spiller last year as well. But yeah, I think we are going to notice a drop off in the run game, and pass protection as well.

TedMock
09-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Yes, and it's maddening that people use this name for Fred Jackson. It's actually an insult to Fred Jackson. Jonathan Smith. Fred Jackson.

pmoon6
09-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Yes, and it's maddening that people use this name for Fred Jackson. It's actually an insult to Fred Jackson. Jonathan Smith. Fred Jackson.I call him "Heart and Soul" because that's what he's been to the Bills' Offense.

It still makes me laugh though. A bunch of couch potatoes who get their football acumen from video games wanting to be the first to trumpet the demise of a player on an Internet message board. Ya'll are tho thuper thethial.

bf1
09-10-2013, 03:44 PM

yep.

justasportsfan
09-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Put it this way. I want the one-two punch. If Freddy can still do that and be that guy, great. There is no player I'd rather have in that case. But, if he's lost a step and is just playing because he's a leader, I have a problem with that. We need our backup RB to get yards and keep the chains moving. Based on this game we're all set, no change is needed.

from what we saw, FJ hasn't lost a step.

pmoon6
09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
from what we saw, FJ hasn't lost a step.He also picked the ball almost off the ground two feet in front of him and turned it into a 20 yard reception. Too bad in typical NE/Bills game style it was called back for "hands to the face".

X-Era
09-10-2013, 04:28 PM
from what we saw, FJ hasn't lost a step.I will concede that in that game he didn't.

justasportsfan
09-10-2013, 06:12 PM
I will concede that in that game he didn't.even if he did, you saw why it is very important to have a back up plan as good in case something happens to CJ

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 06:56 PM

100% agreed. And as for FredEx, I have no idea how or why people hate. Dude is first class leader, great attitude, gives 110% and still can bring it. /smh

gloveus
09-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I love Fred Jackson, he's been one of my favorite Bills for the past few year and I do agree that he still has something left in the tank. He certainly seems to be able to do some things better than Spiller. However, you guys DO realize that the Patriots played Jackson differently, right? When CJ was in, he was the primary focus of the defense. I'm not a defensive coach, but in watching the game, Jackson just didn't seem to get the same attention.

JoeMama
09-10-2013, 07:09 PM
I've been referring to Fred Jackson by the wrong nickname for about 6 years. Fitting, since he's never been the fastest RB on our roster.

It's especially odd since I have an autographed photo of Jonathan Smith scoring his first touchdown hanging on the wall next to me (he signs it Jon Smith).

He's up there now, frowning down at me for dubbing an imposter Fast Freddy.

This isn't my first time screwing up Fred Jackson's name either. The first year we signed him I accidentally called him Sheldon all the time (that eclectic TE from Nebraska who used to paint his nails).

jimmifli
09-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I've been referring to Fred Jackson by the wrong nickname for about 6 years. Fitting, since he's never been the fastest RB on our roster.

It's especially odd since I have an autographed photo of Jonathan Smith scoring his first touchdown hanging on the wall next to me (he signs it Jon Smith).

He's up there now, frowning down at me for dubbing an imposter Fast Freddy.

This isn't my first time screwing up Fred Jackson's name either. The first year we signed him I accidentally called him Sheldon all the time (that eclectic TE from Nebraska who used to paint his nails).
Did you know he went to Coe college?

JoeMama
09-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Did you know he went to Coe college?

Holy ****!!! Isn't that the place where Marv Levy went???

Are you sure that's not some old wives' tale? Like the one about how Jackson played football in some fantasy land called Europa?

Whatever dude. I'm not falling for that again.