• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DetDannyWilliams
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
    • Feb 2013

Gov. Cuomo "Bills belong in Western New York"

The governor was in town to mark the Buffalo Bills home opener, and the 10-year agreement keeping the Bills in town. He also said the Buffalo Bills belong in Erie County and Western New York, as he stopped at Ralph Wilson Stadium briefly before the team’s home opener.
    “There’s a new energy in Buffalo,” the governor said, as he marked the beginning of the new season and the 10-year agreement with the Bills to keep the team in Orchard Park, making it the only NFL franchise to actually play its games in New York State.
    The deal, announced in December, calls for $130 million in stadium upgrades split among the state, county and the team.
    “There’s going to be a new stadium with a new lease on life with a 10-year commitment from the Bills to stay right here in Buffalo,” Cuomo said. “I think 2013 is going to be a lucky year.” http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-says-20130908
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 09-08-2013, 11:28 PM.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Gov. Cuomo "Bills belong in Western New York"

Polishing a turd.

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

In Madden career mode I was playing this years last game, and they said well so long to the Ralph, this will be the last game. I didn't really get it since I wasn't in owner mode. The 2014 season we have an indoor stadium that's freakin awesome lol.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

if they are building a stadium, why even waste the $130MM on the ralph. just put it into a new stadium on the water front.

i read that as NYS buying land now and using it for a new stadium. but i really don't get the imrovements to the ralph. if you've been to a new stadium recently, the ralph is way behind. i like the ralph's closeness to the field and hope a new stadium wouldn't give that up, but the urinals and the cement and lack of indoor facilities for food. If you are going to ask for $120 a ticket, give us a little something new. otherwise just charge us what you charged us in 1970 when the stadium opened.

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

The Ralph is older now than the Old War Memorial Stadium was when the Bills abandoned it in 1972

Comment

• lightningbolt444
            • Mar 2007

Wwasting money on the improvements. Just build a new stadium

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

this is precisely why progress in WNY is maddening. the need is obvious...the contract is set to provide 7 years of football in buffalo. And we are wasting 1-2 years on a huge expense that isn't the long term answer. Bass Pro shop is calling.

just get people on board for the new stadium and build it. With the Pegula ice rinks coming with hotel, the time is now to keep building.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                if they are building a stadium, why even waste the $130MM on the ralph. just put it into a new stadium on the water front.

i read that as NYS buying land now and using it for a new stadium. but i really don't get the imrovements to the ralph. if you've been to a new stadium recently, the ralph is way behind. i like the ralph's closeness to the field and hope a new stadium wouldn't give that up, but the urinals and the cement and lack of indoor facilities for food. If you are going to ask for $120 a ticket, give us a little something new. otherwise just charge us what you charged us in 1970 when the stadium opened.
                Building a new stadium takes time. The remodel will keep the Ralph a viable NFL Stadium until the new stadium is up & running.

And I like the Idea of the New Vikings Stadium, with the clear glass roof.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

take care of the renovations to keep the stadium from falling down....but $130MM worth? some of the drawings are trying to make the ralph what it isn't and can never be. A state of the art facility.

Buffalo needs that stadium downtown. There is a long window to do that on the 10 yr lease. but you have to start the process right now. Perhaps they are and Cuomo kind of hints that that is the plan, but i really don't want to see a stadium renovation ath $130MM if it can be maintained for $60MM (original numbers previously) and the stadium ground is broken shortly thereafter.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    take care of the renovations to keep the stadium from falling down....but $130MM worth? some of the drawings are trying to make the ralph what it isn't and can never be. A state of the art facility.

Buffalo needs that stadium downtown. There is a long window to do that on the 10 yr lease. but you have to start the process right now. Perhaps they are and Cuomo kind of hints that that is the plan, but i really don't want to see a stadium renovation ath $130MM if it can be maintained for $60MM (original numbers previously) and the stadium ground is broken shortly thereafter.
                    Why does the Stadium have to be Downtown? I think halfway between Buffalo & Rochester is a better location myself.

Closer for the people in Rochester & Toronto not to mention closer to the corporations in those Cities.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                      Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                      • Feb 2013

In addition, the team and state officials will form
                      a committee to study the possibility of building a new stadium "in the next
                      decade or so," according to Brandon.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        Building a new stadium takes time. The remodel will keep the Ralph a viable NFL Stadium until the new stadium is up & running.

And I like the Idea of the New Vikings Stadium, with the clear glass roof.
                        There is some sense to this. I don't get to the Ralph often enough to really have a sense for what condition it's in, except for the communal urinals and the cave-like inner corridors. But if improvements were made it would not change the fact that a few years down the road more would be needed. Any improvements would be for the benefit of fans for the next 5 years, not to keep the stadium viable for the next 30.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          Why does the Stadium have to be Downtown? I think halfway between Buffalo & Rochester is a better location myself.

Closer for the people in Rochester & Toronto not to mention closer to the corporations in those Cities.
                          The Bills greatest asset to the region is that it can help grow a city. we shouldn't be building a stadium so the owners can get richer easier and provide little to no support in the ancillary businesses that it routinely takes credit for but rarely has anything to show for.

if you have the sabres and bills close to downtown and a new hotel, smaller businesses will come to the area. people are slowly moving into the city proper...certain areas have been gentrified. it's not all smooth sailing. but if you get businesses and people into downtown, you get more people downtown. then you start to get some real big companies who might really look at the UB programs which churn out great students and then send them to be successful somewhere else a chance to stay in Buffalo.

That stadium needs to be downtown in NYS money is going into it.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog View Post
                            The Ralph is older now than the Old War Memorial Stadium was when the Bills abandoned it in 1972
                            I would love to see an open practice in that park every summer, the way the Niners sometimes practice on the old Kezar site.

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

I think it makes perfect sense considering the nature of NYS politics. They spend the 130 million and give sweetheart deals to contractor and union buddies who in turn kickback some to the politicians. Then, 3 or 4 years from now, they do it all over again with a new stadium.

Some of you may not know or have forgotten, but that's the way business has been done since the '50's. And if you think the unions aren't still controlled by some form of organized crime, I don't know what to tell you.

Comment

Working...
                              X