09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/09/09/a-bit-of-encouraging-history-for-ej/

What do you think?

better days
09-09-2013, 09:17 AM
I think the Bills have found their QB.

Saratoga Slim
09-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I'll say this: he's the first guy we've had under center in a long time that has the physical and charismatic presence of a franchise QB. He didn't play perfectly, but always looked confident and in control. Played mostly smart, if perhaps very conservative and didn't turn the ball over (close doesn't count). Also, showed some pocket presence, and some evasive manuevers when necessary, but never ran in panic. And didn't get sacked once.

And the TD to Stevie was an All-Pro throw.

Some questionable decisions in throwing Trent Edwards-like 3 yard passes on 3rd and long, overall conservatism in sticking mostly to short routes, and wasn't really close on the long balls he did try. And the time management at the end was questionable, though that dart is likely more appropriate for Marrone. But in short the end of that game was exactly what one would expect in a showdown between Tom Brady and a rookie QB in his first game.

All in all, better than I expected and I'm cautiously optimistic. But I think we better hold off on the franchise label for a bit until he shows he can win games like that.

Typ0
09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
One thing you will never hear me say is Nix made a bad choice taking this guy. Sure, he could peter out into a nothing but what we have seen up to this point looks like what we need. If he continues to grow and improve we are in business.

Skooby
09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
One thing you will never hear me say is Nix made a bad choice taking this guy. Sure, he could peter out into a nothing but what we have seen up to this point looks like what we need. If he continues to grow and improve we are in business.

He looks decent now, I'd imagine he has a bigger upside.

JoeMama
09-09-2013, 10:38 AM
No complaints about EJ today.

He played well above his head for a rookie.

Showed great poise, looked comfortable in the pocket, was pretty accurate and threw some lasers that only pros can make.

He has presence on the field. Which is encouraging.

Fletch
09-09-2013, 11:07 AM

What do you think?

I notice that the focus is exclusively on rating. Rating is fine as an average over a sustained period of time, but not sure I'd take it as any sort of sole indicator otherwise in one game that featured precious few yards.

If you're going to do that then I would suggest asking how a rating could be so "high" yet with the following:

Only one sustained drive of more than 6 plays or 37 yards.

Only 6 passing 1st-downs, 1-of-3 in the 1st Q, 0-for-2 in the 2nd Q, 2-of-3 in the 3rd Q but both times to Jackson on short passes that he took long, and 0-for-2 in the 4th Q for a total of 3 for 10 according to the PBP. Two of those were on the only sustained scoring drive.

A 5.4 ypa

Despite the solid rating, there's just as much to be concerned about as there is to be excited about.

Pros:

He didn't collapse or play as if he was scared, he was pretty confident out there.

He looked in control.

Cons:

As many of his Draft pundits and people that had watched him at FSU said, he would be wildly inaccurate at times, he was wildly inaccurate for most of the first half and in spurts in the second. That kind of inconsistency regarding accuracy may end up being a problem going forward if it doesn't straighten itself out.

Where's the deep stuff? All we heard all preseason long was about how we were going to see Goodwin go deep and burn everyone w/ his 3.7 speed. Graham's not slow either nor is Easley. Granted, as much of that may have been coaching and play-calling, but how about calling that out then.

Also, the Pats are going to stink this season. I'll be surprised if they finish with more than 10 wins. They're not good, their D is average.

It was a good get-his-feet-wet game, but as stated, there's just as much that can go wrong than can go right at this point. He's on pace for 32 TDs and 0 INTs, which clearly isn't going to happen.

As with everything, time will tell.

I'll add that if Spiller doesn't revert from his Jets 2012 week 17 mode and 2013 week 1 mode, it's going to be a long season for Manuel as well.

Figster
09-09-2013, 11:10 AM
awww man, I am hyped about our QB :dance3:

better days
09-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I notice that the focus is exclusively on rating. Rating is fine as an average over a sustained period of time, but not sure I'd take it as any sort of sole indicator otherwise in one game that featured precious few yards.

If you're going to do that then I would suggest asking how a rating could be so "high" yet with the following:

Only one sustained drive of more than 6 plays or 37 yards.

Only 6 passing 1st-downs, 1-of-3 in the 1st Q, 0-for-2 in the 2nd Q, 2-of-3 in the 3rd Q but both times to Jackson on short passes that he took long, and 0-for-2 in the 4th Q for a total of 3 for 10 according to the PBP. Two of those were on the only sustained scoring drive.

A 5.4 ypa

Despite the solid rating, there's just as much to be concerned about as there is to be excited about.

Pros:

He didn't collapse or play as if he was scared, he was pretty confident out there.

He looked in control.

Cons:

As many of his Draft pundits and people that had watched him at FSU said, he would be wildly inaccurate at times, he was wildly inaccurate for most of the first half and in spurts in the second. That kind of inconsistency regarding accuracy may end up being a problem going forward if it doesn't straighten itself out.

Where's the deep stuff? All we heard all preseason long was about how we were going to see Goodwin go deep and burn everyone w/ his 3.7 speed. Graham's not slow either nor is Easley. Granted, as much of that may have been coaching and play-calling, but how about calling that out then.

Also, the Pats are going to stink this season. I'll be surprised if they finish with more than 10 wins. They're not good, their D is average.

It was a good get-his-feet-wet game, but as stated, there's just as much that can go wrong than can go right at this point. He's on pace for 32 TDs and 0 INTs, which clearly isn't going to happen.

As with everything, time will tell.

I'll add that if Spiller doesn't revert from his Jets 2012 week 17 mode and 2013 week 1 mode, it's going to be a long season for Manuel as well.

I have always said the only stat that matters for a Qb is TD's.

EJ threw 2 TD's Sunday. If he can do that over the season, that will be 32 TD's, not bad for a Rookie.

Meathead
09-09-2013, 12:07 PM
rookie qbs starting their first game are usually bad to very bad. ej wasnt great but he was far from bad, which in and of itself is huge

it was encouraging but the truth is nothing that happens over the first half of the season will tell us anything about his long term prognosis. he could be terrible or awesome and it could all look totally different by the time next season rolls around. the first glimmer of reliable data wont come until the second half, and even then it will be pretty weak. we wont really start to get to know what we have until next season

JediMindPowers
09-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I loved his pocket awareness. Haven't seen that in a looong time.

Overall, Manuel played exactly like they said he would. He was raw and wild at times, but at other times you saw how talented he was.

BillsFever21
09-09-2013, 05:13 PM
He wasn't great but he wasn't bad. He had a nice TD throw but besides that the passing attack was very conservative. We only had one scoring drive which was the TD coming out of halftime. Outside of that we were given a fumble recovery for a TD and then the other fumble set up a short drive for a TD.

I'm sure his game will open up more as we go along but it was way too conservative this game. Especially after we took the lead with the game on the line. He had the one nice scramble but Marrone never used him for any run option plays. He doesn't have Kapernick/RG3 speed but he can still do some damage running. Even a couple of them would've opened up the offense more for the passing game and Spiller.

DynaPaul
09-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I wasn't thrilled about picking him but he looked good to me. The kid has potential, no stupid mistakes and that was key.

JediMindPowers
09-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Marrone lost the game. Thats a fact.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-09-2013, 05:58 PM
TDs and no turnovers, and he completed more than 60 percent of his passes for a respectable amount of yardage. The kid needs work, but if he can stay healthy and steadily improve, then I have no problems. I'll say this much, he deserves to start next week.

BillsImpossible
09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Given how well EJ played, the only thing I wish is that he had 5 more throws and CJ Spiller had 5 less carries.

I don't think the coaches ever expected EJ to perform so well. Looking forward to watching EJ Manuel get more responsibility against the Panthers.

Very promising start for the Bills rookie QB.

If the Bills won the game, but EJ Manuel went 10 for 32, 115 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 3 sacks and sucked...

I'll take the loss and his 18 for 27, 2 TDs and zero picks any day because it tells me the Bills FINALLY have their quarterback of the future.

gebobs
09-09-2013, 09:55 PM

What do you think?
Interesting that the three they compared him to all lost as well.

I think the Bills have found their QB.

However, I'm inclined to agree with this.