PDA

View Full Version : Marcel Dareus

kingJofNYC
09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
For a run stuffer, he doesn't stuff much. Looked better rushing the passer than stopping the run.

Guy may end up being just a slightly above average starter. With Kyle and Dareus no one should be ripping off runs between the tackles, Pats did it quite often yesterday. Just gets washed out way too much.

justasportsfan
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Dareus was hardly the problem. It's fools gold who was lost yesterday.

kingJofNYC
09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Dareus was hardly the problem. It's fools gold who was lost yesterday.

Fools gold is fools gold, not concerned with that dude at this point.

Dareus on the other hand does, because he's a young controllable player that can still progress.

justasportsfan
09-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Fools gold is fools gold, not concerned with that dude at this point.

Dareus is because he's a young controllable player that can still progress.

I could be wrong but in Pettines system, Dareus is the space eater and the linebackers cover the lanes. Dareus being able to penetrate is actually a great thing when teams double him.

Uncle Jesse
09-09-2013, 09:14 AM
I expect much, much more from this guy, he is very talented, was picked high and has been disgustingly average.

Even then, I wanted AJ Green so bad.

DraftBoy
09-09-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't think any of you actually know what you're looking at frankly. He is not a run stuffer, he is not supposed penetrate. His job is to set the edge to maintain contain, push the pocket when he can, and take on double teams as they come. He did all of those on Sunday and showed some versatility in his drop.

People want to use his lofty draft status against him but he was never going to be a double digit sack guy. That's not his game and that's not why you draft him (which is why the switch to the 43 was beyond dumb in the first place).

Uncle Jesse
09-09-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't think any of you actually know what you're looking at frankly. He is not a run stuffer, he is not supposed penetrate. His job is to set the edge to maintain contain, push the pocket when he can, and take on double teams as they come. He did all of those on Sunday and showed some versatility in his drop.

People want to use his lofty draft status against him but he was never going to be a double digit sack guy. That's not his game and that's not why you draft him (which is why the switch to the 43 was beyond dumb in the first place).

Hmm, we had a historically bad defense last year, which he was in the middle of.

Yesterday, the Pats ran at will once Ridley went out, and there wasn't much of a pass rush either. When they needed to move the ball, they did at will.

Color me unimpressed, still.

DraftBoy
09-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Hmm, we had a historically bad defense last year, which he was in the middle of.

Yesterday, the Pats ran at will once Ridley went out, and there wasn't much of a pass rush either. When they needed to move the ball, they did at will.

Color me unimpressed, still.

Did you fail to notice how both our ILB's were either out of position or couldn't shed a block to save their lives?

Uncle Jesse
09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Did you fail to notice how both our ILB's were either out of position or couldn't shed a block to save their lives?

I did, it's always an excuse for this guy from people. It's always other players fault he never makes plays. Or it's off the field issues. Or it's something else.

All i hear and see is excuses for Dareus. When is he EVER going to make a big play? Or be more of a force? Why is it a list of excuses all the time?

If we drafted him to eat up blockers, or just take up space or take on doubles, we messed up big time taking him then. You don't take a player at 3 overall to be a space eater.

It's the Bills fault (shockingly, not Dareus!) we drafted him then. We could have done much better.

You need impact players when you draft 3 overall, plain and simple, there's no other explanation needed.

coastal
09-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I thought he had a couple of bad plays where he got washed out but overall played a solid game. Fools Gold was pretty awful yesterday. Nothing new there.

lets also keep in mind that NE has a GREAT oline.

there going to win a couple here and there.

jdaltroy5
09-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I did, it's always an excuse for this guy from people. It's always other players fault he never makes plays. Or it's off the field issues. Or it's something else.

All i hear and see is excuses for Dareus. When is he EVER going to make a big play? Or be more of a force? Why is it a list of excuses all the time?

If we drafted him to eat up blockers, or just take up space or take on doubles, we messed up big time taking him then. You don't take a player at 3 overall to be a space eater.

It's the Bills fault (shockingly, not Dareus!) we drafted him then. We could have done much better.

You need impact players when you draft 3 overall, plain and simple, there's no other explanation needed.

I think they expected a lot more from Dareus and that's why they drafted him that high.

No one was ridiculing the pick when we made it and a lot of people were glad that he was there when we picked.

He was supposed to be a versatile player that could eat blockers OR penetrate depending on the scheme.

He's just not doing it.

kingJofNYC
09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Dareus was basically playing the nose yesterday, how do you set the edge from the middle of DL?

I know wtf I saw, also watched the game with a scout from the Toronto Argonauts, he agreed that his run D isn't where it should be. PFF has him graded with a negative run value for the game. We're all clueless I guess. Dareus wasn't bad on the whole yesterday, just poor run D if you ask me. Get blocked too easily. Looked better rushing the passer if I'm being honest.

Yes our LBs aren't the greatest, but Dareus gets turned way too easily.

TacklingDummy
09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Watch the Pats last drive and see how bad Dareus was.
That's how he was most of the game.

Thief
09-09-2013, 12:42 PM
What is the "fools Gold" reference to?

chernobylwraiths
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
What is the "fools Gold" reference to?

Some feel that Mario Williams was a waste of money.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-09-2013, 02:12 PM
on that last 1st down conversion for brady to get in fg range, dareus was a half a second from stripping it from behind, he destroyed solder. im a little more level now, obvious must win this week. I honestly think we have the more talented roster, but they have brady and we killed ourselves quite a bit... got to, got to win this week to get back in it and make a run

- - - Updated - - -

cannot lose opening two home games, obviously

NOT THE DUDE...
09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
either way, a split was expected and we can be right there... like I said, I think we will all feel better if we beat the panthers. it hurt more because I think people realized how good our team is, and the mistakes ugh

The Jokeman
09-09-2013, 02:28 PM

The switch to the 4-3 is because Kyle Williams, arguarbly our best defender, would not fit in a traditional 3-4 as he doesn't have the size to be a NT and probably not suceeed as a DE either.

JediMindPowers
09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
I expect much, much more from this guy, he is very talented, was picked high and has been disgustingly average.

Even then, I wanted AJ Green so bad.

Anyone with a brain knew AJ Green was by far the better prospect.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Oh, yeah. Let's try stopping the run-- the most glaring weakness of this team the past decade-- with a wide receiver. Let me know how that works out.

jills
09-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Some feel that Mario Williams was a waste of money.

Was? More like IS.

Beebe's Kid
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh, yeah. Let's try stopping the run-- the most glaring weakness of this team the past decade-- with a wide receiver. Let me know how that works out.

You mad, bro?

I don't think that a WR can help stop the run...I do think that AJ Green was a can't miss #1 WR prospect. I also think that Dareus was pretty much considered "can't miss" for DL thought too, and I think that things haven't progressed the way that anybody had imagined.

I don't know anybody that was saying he was a bad pick at the time. He was considered about as close to a sure thing as there was in that draft. I remember people being happy he "fell" to 3.

To compare WRs and DL is ridiculous. It is also ridiculous to conclude that Dareus is a bust, or an average player. It takes a lot more getting used to playing DL in the NFL than it does playing WR. WRs can always appear to be stellar prospects because if they have good hands and speed, they look like they figured it all out so quickly.

I think that part of the problem in looking back at AJ Green and Dareus pick is the frustration that comes with not having a #1 WR on this team. That is still a position of need, and will be even if Dareus ends up looking much better against offensive lines that aren't among the best in the business. NE is a bad line to base his overall performance against. They stop very good players every week. They are probably the best in the business.

I'll give it a few more weeks before I get overly concerned, but I am already concerned with the lack of a strong WR that makes incredible plays on this team. Hopefully Woods has that capability, because SJ13 isn't going to give it to you. I will say that I think Woods is going to pay huge dividends, it is just going to be a matter of time before EJ learns not to thrown to SJ when the game is on the line, and goes to a more sure-handed option.

If it isn't Woods, we still need a #! WR.

Beebe's Kid
09-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Was? More like IS.

Again. Mario was not on his A game on Sunday, but he did look relatively good after the wrist debacle. I know that wrist thing is inconvenient to so many here, because he shouldn't have had and injury because of the contract...blah blah blah. I don't agree, but I know where you are coming from.

Let's see how the front four do against an OL that isn't the best in the league. You need them to win against the Pats if the Bills are going to be a serious contender, and that may come. The first day on the job with a new defense may not be the ultimate guide.

People want so many of the players to fail, despited being so attached to the team. It is truly a fascinating dynamic. Love the team, resent the people that play for it...wonder why things don't get better. The Byrd situation comes to mind.

kingJofNYC
09-10-2013, 12:17 PM
rewatched last night, man he got bulldozed in the run game. when they put coaches cam ill put out some gifs.

was much better as a pass rusher

The Jokeman
09-10-2013, 11:12 PM

and to make a bigger debate we might have been off keeping Lynch and drafting Dez Bryant instead of CJ Spiller. I don't knock Dareus as he has played okay but again a draft it about getting a good collection of players but sadly we missed om Rounds 2 and 3 of that draft. As if we took Kaepernick instead of Aaron Williams or someone like Justin Houston over Kelvin we could be in a better place. As draft are always about collecting the most talent and sadly the Bills haven't really done that in quite some time.

TedMock
09-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Technique issues on the couple of plays where he really lost. Watch his feet. In two instances he slid his foot sideways instead of driving forward. That took away all leverage. Not sure what he was doing there. In many instances he was doing what he should and the LBs failed to fill. Important to recognize scheme. Still, he needs to really focus on tiny details. They made a huge difference on a few plays. Even in position a simple misstep of inches took away his advantages.