PDA

View Full Version : Dink & Dunk Offense question

imbondz
09-09-2013, 03:57 PM
What is not a dink and dunk offense? One that throws long every other play? One that runs mostly? I don't get it. I seemed to remember Joe Montana's entire career being dink and dunk, with the occasional bomb to Rice, who caught most of them cuz he was a freak.

When I watch Brady, he dinks and dunks w/ the occasional longer throw.

Am I missing something?

K-Gun
09-09-2013, 04:30 PM
EJ's first game reminds me of Roethlisberger in his first two seasons. He'd throw it about 20 times a game, have around 60% completion and 180 yards. He averaged like 1.2 TD's a game his first two years, and like .8 INT's.

You really do have to "protect" your rookie and not put the game on his shoulders, until he learns how to.

trapezeus
09-09-2013, 04:44 PM
dink and dunk is when you got time in the pocket or the pocket hasn't even formed and you are going with 3 yard passes.

I agree, if you are running a good offense, there still is a lot of short stuff, but the defense knows the QB's eyes are willing to go 10-15 yards if the opportunity exists. and they play to take that away. but when teams have a bunch of people in the 5-10yard range and you are still trying to force in a short pass in tight coverage and not looking downfield, it's a problem.

the bills weren't overly dink and dunk, but i think EJ looks like he pushes the ball on short passes as opposed to the motion he makes when he's throwing longer. so it seems more forced and it's an issue with accuracy (freddie had a nice catch on a pass out into the flat). it seems like he's tentative when he's doing that.

To me it seemed like the bills really had the leash on him. Rightfully or wrongfully. Compared to losman's start where he kicked the ball out of his own hands, EJ looked like he has some potential.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I am not ready to throw EJ under the bus just yet and nor am I ready to proclaim him our savior. IMHO, he looked okay -- no more and no less -- just okay. If he steadily improves and pulls some magic out of his ass that gives us wins that we had no business getting then I'll say he might be legit. However, I won't say bust until at least week 8. Ryan Leaf, the all time worst qb ever drafted in the 1st, looked okay for two games, got exposed by the Chiefs and was out of the league three years later. I think EJ showed some flashes, but he needs to step it up a bit.

EDS
09-09-2013, 05:14 PM
One thing to look at is the pecentage of passes that are to backs and tight ends versus wide receivers. Obviously, EJ went with the former group with much more frequency on Sunday.

Mike
09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I am not ready to throw EJ under the bus just yet and nor am I ready to proclaim him our savior. IMHO, he looked okay -- no more and no less -- just okay. If he steadily improves and pulls some magic out of his ass that gives us wins that we had no business getting then I'll say he might be legit. However, I won't say bust until at least week 8. Ryan Leaf, the all time worst qb ever drafted in the 1st, looked okay for two games, got exposed by the Chiefs and was out of the league three years later. I think EJ showed some flashes, but he needs to step it up a bit.

Thank You

Lets keep it real. Not over react in either direction.

Brees looked like **** for 3years while Lienart, & V. Young, etc looked great in their first year.

Meathead
09-09-2013, 05:17 PM
if i ever open a male stripper/donut shop thats what im gonna name it

DynaPaul
09-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Don't forget that many of those dinks are there to replace what would have been running plays.