PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of Series #1: "Mario Williams"

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm done with him. No fire. No impact. Goes through the motions and that's not what a $100M "star" is supposed to do. I don't know what the cap hit/financials are, but if it were up to me, I'd trade him or cut him next season. He's just not worth it.

Byrd is next on my list in the "Get Rid Of Series."

GingerP
09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
That would be a tough pill to swallow, cap-wise.

Williams is due a $10.6M roster bonus early in the off-season, so if they were going to cut him they would want to do it before paying him. That means they can't make him a post-June 1 release and spread the hit out over 2 years (like they did with Fitzpatrick).

That means he would count $15.2M in dead money next year when they released him in March. The Bills already have $11.5M in dead money next year (mostly from Fitzpatrick, Anderson & Lindell), so they would have 26.7M taken off the top of their cap to start the year. Even with the extra they are carrying over, that would limit the ability to spend in the off-season.

If they pay Williams the $10.6M roster bonus, his cap number would be $18.4M in 2014. Their next out would be after 4 years of his deal (before 2016), when his dead money would be down to $7M, or after 5 years, when his dead money would only be $1M.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah that's a horse pill for sure. And, I doubt they could trade him given his contract and his lackluster play. Talk about an evil farewell poison pill from Nix and Gailey.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah, let's start getting rid of our most talented players because they aren't worth EXACTLY what they are getting paid.

We all know the REAL winners at the end of the season are the teams with the most cap space.

justasportsfan
09-10-2013, 03:43 PM
too early to be calling for peoples heads. Are you going to have a series for CJ too?

Lucidvizion
09-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Cut him for what exactly? So Ralph can pocket more money?

jdaltroy5
09-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Cut him for what exactly? So Ralph can pocket more money?
Man I can't wait to win that "Most cap space" trophy at the end of the season. The parade is going to be AWESOME!

That's a thing right?

coastal
09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Preaching to the intelligent choir dude.

the mouth breathers apparently object and will lineup in this thread.

bosshogg21
09-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Mario is so overrated it isn't even funny.

jills
09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
One of the worst signings of all time. No wonder why we suck year after year.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2013, 04:54 PM

He's not worth 16 million a year, but he's definitely better than Carrington, Moats, or whoever else would take his spot.

HAMMER
09-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I am starting to agree, he looks like he is just going through the motions. Some people get motivated once they get paid, others just rest on their laurels.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I want to like Mario Williams, but he is making it VERY hard.

bosshogg21
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Seriously, what does he do out there on the field to warrant his pay, his starting position for that matter. He's changed zero games with his play.

gebobs
09-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah, let's start getting rid of our most talented players
Talent only gets you so far in professional sports. But I'm not even sure he is all that talented. If he's one of "our most talented players", then he has no way of exerting it. The guy is invisible for games at a stretch.

Byrd: "Ow. I have plantar fasciitis."

Mario: "Um, yeah! I got that too. Whatsitcalled...planters peanitus! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Novacane
09-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I wanted him so bad. Boy was I wrong!

gebobs
09-10-2013, 07:05 PM
too early to be calling for peoples heads. Are you going to have a series for CJ too?

We know CJ can play. Can Mario?

gr8slayer
09-10-2013, 07:07 PM
The "mouth breathers", hahaha.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I wanted him so bad. Boy was I wrong!

Me too. I freely admit it. Dead wrong. Some Texans fans were trying to tell me that he wasn't all that but I was so desperate for a difference maker that I got blinded to the signals. Learn and move on....

gr8slayer
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
It's a good example of why you build via the draft. Unfortunately, this contract is going to a thorn in our ass for a couple more years.
Me too. I freely admit it. Dead wrong. Some Texans fans were trying to tell me that he wasn't all that but I was so desperate for a difference maker that I got blinded to the signals. Learn and move on....

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Fine but who do we replace him with?

gr8slayer
09-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't be very hard to replace what he's bringing to the table right now.
Fine but who do we replace him with?

GingerP
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
It's a good example of why you build via the draft. Unfortunately, this contract is going to a thorn in our ass for a couple more years.

It would be, but the Bills aren't paying QB money to anyone else. Basically, EJ is playing for pocket change while Williams rakes in the cash a franchise QB would earn. In the end, it'll come out in the wash.

Typ0
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM
It was one game and the defense played well. He was better last year after he got his wrist sorted out. People jump to conclusions too quickly. I also think Williams is pretty much the guy they brought in. They knew what they were getting and paying for. Just because you have different expectations doesn't mean Jack. The guy is on the field even when he's injured. I'm guessing opposing offenses don't think he's as invisible as some of you do.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't be very hard to replace what he's bringing to the table right now.

Yep. Alan Branch (who?) had the same stat line (see link below). I know stats don't tell the whole story given the double teams, but can anyone honestly say he was a presence in that game, even a little bit, a game which was arguably one of the most important of the season (div game, huge gorilla on the back with 23 losses, etc.)? If you can't bring it against the Pats, you shouldn't be starting, and certainly not making that kind of money. I dunno, I know I'll get flack but if he doesn't post up a strong showing in the next 2-3 games, I'd sit him. F*** it. Just because you're paying him doesn't mean he *has* to play if he's not taking the team up a notch.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330908002

NOT THE DUDE...
09-10-2013, 08:54 PM
that is just asinine... he had a few major pressures last week. I was upset he wasn't playing as much, but really?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, he needs to step it up big time though. but we are not getting rid of him lol

NOT THE DUDE...
09-10-2013, 08:57 PM
he needs to dominate vs Carolina, SERIOUSLY!

Beebe's Kid
09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Why not get rid of him? The Bills could easily make it up in the draft!!!

gebobs
09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I agree, he needs to step it up big time though. but we are not getting rid of him lol
OK fine. Let's see what he does this weekend. And when he loafs around again and doesn't do squat, we'll have the same conversation. And "we" still won't get rid of him. He'll be a Bill until the bitter end of his contract. Heck, they'll probably extend him beforehand.

Mahdi
09-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Mario had a very good game against New England and was consistently applying pressure on Brady. Not sure what you saw...

The Jokeman
09-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Who do you suggest we bring in that's better?

gebobs
09-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Mario had a very good game against New England and was consistently applying pressure on Brady. Not sure what you saw...

I saw Brady back there with enough time to order a red hot and a beer especially during critical downs. What the heck were you watching? They got to him twice, well not Mario, but the other guys. The only time Mario might have gotten close was if Brady sat in the pocket for 5 seconds and looked off every receiver and a few twice.

Brady had a lousy game but it was not because of the line. It was mostly his own and his receivers doing with a bit of exemplary play by the Bills secondary. He had all kinds of time. When Brady finally had enough and decided to ram it down our throats, where was Mario to spit it back at him. Wandering aimlessly around the periphery. He didn't do squat.

Mouldsie
09-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Mario makes more of the little plays that dont show up on stats than he does incredible game changing ones. He's overpaid but he's a talented and productive player. Find me a comparable replacement or jd's cap space award

Mahdi
09-11-2013, 05:47 AM
I saw Brady back there with enough time to order a red hot and a beer especially during critical downs. What the heck were you watching? They got to him twice, well not Mario, but the other guys. The only time Mario might have gotten close was if Brady sat in the pocket for 5 seconds and looked off every receiver and a few twice.

Brady had a lousy game but it was not because of the line. It was mostly his own and his receivers doing with a bit of exemplary play by the Bills secondary. He had all kinds of time. When Brady finally had enough and decided to ram it down our throats, where was Mario to spit it back at him. Wandering aimlessly around the periphery. He didn't do squat.

Most of the critical throws Brady made were quick throws to Amendola. Mario was pressuring Brady throughout the day, watch the game again and focus on him.

Turf
09-11-2013, 06:31 AM

Yeah we build through the draft and then let anyone good go instead of paying them. Just as a note, NE has one of the best OL in football, and we still pressured the hell out of Brady. I don't know what all the sudden hate is about.

Historian
09-11-2013, 10:29 AM
You know who I blame for the Mario mess?

The Bills medical staff.

WTF were they doing:

"Okay Mario, turn your head and cough."

"He'll do!"

Thunderkyss
09-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Why not get rid of him? The Bills could easily make it up in the draft!!!

Why did you decide to go to free agency (where you always over pay) instead of drafting someone to begin with... if it were that easy.

I guarantee you Mario Williams will have a double digit sack year...

if he stays healthy...

again.

justasportsfan
09-11-2013, 12:00 PM

what? I seriously have a problem with what you see especially when you couldn't see how Whitner got burned by TE's.

Novacane
09-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Not sure what you saw! Hughes had more pressure in Brady that MW.

gebobs
09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Most of the critical throws Brady made were quick throws to Amendola. Mario was pressuring Brady throughout the day, watch the game again and focus on him.

Sorry. Mario had no influence whatsoever on this game. If you're happy with his performance, then that's just a measure of how low your expectations have become.

Hey, we lost but it wasn't by much and it was to the Patriots. Our highest paid player is absent from the stat sheet aside from a single tackle, but he had a few "pressures" that did little or nothing. It's not his fault the opposing quarterback neutralized him with a short game. He's not there to stop the run. He's not there to defense quick passes. His only job is to put pressure on the quarterback the half dozen times in a game the QB takes a deep drop.

coastal
09-11-2013, 01:04 PM
I have a friend who spoke to Levitre during the offseason.

he didn't want to leave Buffalo but got nothing from the Bills.

remove the guard position from the discussion... He was a player we moved up to get in the draft, was productive and arguably our best oline men over the course of his rookie contract, and wanting to stay in Buffalo.

I tried to explain to people that signing Mario to a huge contract was entirely risky. Now that he's proving to be a mediocre at best player... his signing has far reaching impacts on this organization beyond a cap number.

the minute he said "I'm not here to be a leader" is when I knew this was going to completely bomb.

you don't make someone the highest paid member of any organization if that person isn't willing to lead.

levitre not being resigned is just another piece to this horrible decision.

Novacane
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM

remove the guard position from the discussion... He was a player we moved up to get in the draft, was productive and arguably our best oline men over the course of his rookie contract, and wanting to stay in Buffalo.

I tried to explain to people that signing Mario to a huge contract was entirely risky. Now that he's proving to be a mediocre at best player... his signing has far reaching impacts on this organization beyond a cap number.

the minute he said "I'm not here to be a leader" is when I knew this was going to completely bomb.

you don't make someone the highest paid member of any organization if that person isn't willing to lead.

levitre not being resigned is just another piece to this horrible decision.

Yeah, I agree. That was a huge red flag when I heard that. I still hoped he'd be a good player for us. If he didn't want to lead I wouldn't care if he performed. He's been average at best. Guys that are saying he's always drawing double teams and freeing up others are full of ****. I make a point to watch him every game. He's rarely double teamed. Complete waste of money. Thinking about what we could of done with that money makes me sick.

BillsFever21
09-11-2013, 11:19 PM
I almost forget he's even on the team and barely even noticed when Williams was in the game and when he was on the sideline. You sure the hell notice when guys like JJ Watt, Jared Allen, Clay Matthews and other top defensive players on the DL or front seven are in the game. There are more games you don't notice then games you do notice.

Mahdi
09-12-2013, 06:31 AM
what? I seriously have a problem with what you see especially when you couldn't see how Whitner got burned by TE's.

Every safety gets beat by TEs. That's why everyone wants a premier TE.... I thought Whitner was a good safety not special but among the better ones in the league. He ended up on a top defense and went to the PB. Don't have to say much more.

Mahdi
09-12-2013, 07:37 AM
First play -- Offside Dareus

Second play -- Mario beats RT clean, Brady throws quick and completes -- Had he held on a half second longer Mario would have killed him

Third -- Run -- Mario let go into backfield run opposite side

Fourth -- Mario singled -- gets inside on RT -- no pressure applied

Fifth -- Mario doubled and pushed outside

Sixth -- Mario doubled on PA pass kept outside

7. Run opposite side of Mario

8. Mario rushes wide to open gap for Brooks blitz on his inside hip -- Pressure forces incompletion

9. Mario singled -- Brady quick throw

10. Mario singled -- Mario kept outside -- Brady throws endzone for TD.

11. Mario not on field

12. Quick screen to opposite side of Mario

13. Mario sets up at DT. No pressure applied. Brady throws short to Vereen

14. Brady throws Quick hitter to Edelman

15. Short run 1 yard for first down

16. PA pass- quick throw incomplete

17. Run opposite side Mario -- Moats TFL

18. Quick throw -- Bubble screen to Edelman -- leads to FG

19. Middle run for 2 yd gain

20. Inside trap run to Mario side -- 3 yd gain

21. Quick throw inside out of Bunch formation -- Amendola first down

22. Run opposite side Mario -- big gain for Ridley

23. Run to Mario side -- Mario sets edge -- 1 yd gain

24. Mario takes RT upfield cuts inside to pressure Brady -- incomplete PD by Dareus

25. Mario takes RT wide sets up blitz on inside hip from Searcy -- sack

26. Mario gets legs cut by Solder on pass rush -- Dareus gets pressure inside him -- incomplete

27. Run on Mario inside hip -- 7 yd gain

28. Mario inside rush -- splits 2 blockers chases Brady out of pocket -- incompelete

29. Offside Hughes

30. Mario pushed wide by Solder -- inc

31. Inside run for 10 yards

32. 12 men penalty

33. Run -- Mario sets edge outside -- Ridley cuts back inside -- Fumble -- Searcy TD

34. Mario off field -- screen to Edelman

35. Mario off field --- inside run -- 1 yd

36. Mario doubled --- Brady completes long completion

37. Mario well blocked on run to his side for 5 yds

38. Run opposite Mario -- no gain

39. Mario stunts inside and pressures Brady who throws quick and incomplete

40. Run opposite Mario -- 25 yd gain

41. Mario rushes inside -- forces Brady out of pocket who runs for no gain

42. Mario doubled -- Brady finds Edelman for TD

43. Mario stunts inside Brady throws quick to Vereen out of BF

44. Mario bull rushes Solder into Brady -- Brady hurries throw to TE -- INT Rogers

So that was the first half ---

What I noticed -------

1. They rarely ran at Mario and when they did it wasn't too successful

2. Almost all of Brady's throws were quick. Their game plan was to take the short completions to Amendola and Edelman and run the ball.

3. The ONLY time Brady had a play which called for him to hold the ball they doubled Mario

4. Our big turnovers had contribution from Mario forcing bad plays

Conclusion -- The Pats gameplan was to take advantage of our coverage and eliminate our pass rush. They did it with short throws and runs. If anyone watches play for play all our defensive snaps as I have its easy to recognize that Mario really didn't have much opportunity to rush and when he did he was doubled or he made a play to effect the game.

Before you criticize you should do your homework. I don't have time to do the second half so maybe someone can, in an unbiased fashion chart the plays.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-12-2013, 07:38 AM

I.
Hate.
Buddy.
Nix.

Mr. Cynical
09-15-2013, 04:00 PM
He played well today. 180 degrees from last week. But....until he does this over a full season I'm not going to be convinced he's the guy. Texans fans have all told me his history - he'll play well in a few games to get his total sack number, but overall isn't consistent from game to game. Here's hoping for a change and he's going to give them a full season of elite play going forward.

Night Train
09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Idiot

JCBills
09-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Franchise record for sacks in a single game against one of the most mobile QBs ever to play the game.

BertSquirtgum
09-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Bills record number of sacks. Get rid of him.

Mr. Cynical
09-15-2013, 04:08 PM

...one good game and the breathing hath commenced.

Night Train
09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Coastal and Cynical seem to know a ton about Mouth Breeders.

Wonder why ?

coastal
09-15-2013, 04:11 PM
...one good game and the breathing hath commenced.
Yep...

remember the opener against the Jets last year where he was whining in the post game about getting punched in the mouth.

i want to see him go out there next week and do some punching of his own.

Mr. Cynical
09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Coastal and Cynical seem to know a ton about Mouth Breeders.

Wonder why ?

That's breathers, not breeders. But, you've proven the point.

coastal
09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Mouth Breedersdisturbing.

pmoon6
09-15-2013, 04:41 PM
HaHaHa. Williams has a good game and you still don't give him credit. He would have had 5.5 sacks if he didn't get tackled from behind at Newton's feet. Of course, Walt Coleman didn't throw a flag and it was way worse than our holding on the punt.

- - - Updated - - -

That's breathers, not breeders. But, you've proven the point.Assmunch. How's that?

Buffalogic
09-15-2013, 04:50 PM
He had a sack last week too Mr one good game haters. He leads the league in sacks. Why don't you enjoy him while he's playing great instead of diminishing it by hanging on the edge of your seats waiting for him to fail.

pmoon6
09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
He had a sack last week too Mr one good game haters. He leads the league in sacks. Why don't you enjoy him while he's playing great instead of diminishing it by hanging on the edge of your seats waiting for him to fail.It's called limp dicked fandom.

Oaf
09-15-2013, 05:47 PM
If he affects dramatically 3-4 games a year, and is a steady presence besides, I don't see what the issue is?

JCBills
09-15-2013, 05:51 PM
He had a sack last week too Mr one good game haters. He leads the league in sacks. Why don't you enjoy him while he's playing great instead of diminishing it by hanging on the edge of your seats waiting for him to fail.

He didn't have a sack last game, but either way I don't understand the hate for Mario. He was an absolute monster today.

Mr. Cynical
09-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Geno never hit the ground. Discuss.

BuffaloRedleg
09-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Mario was a nonfactor and we have every reason to be pissed.

Yes last week was amazing, no doubt about that.

Greatness is about being a constant threat to the QB, and I watched him get manhandled all day today.

Life sucks and for us normal people who don't get paid a billion dollars, you are only as good as the last thing you've done. And he ****ing blew today. I don't want to hear any BS about schemes and double teams, he failed. You need to be not just dominant but consistently dominant at that money.

Sorry that I'm not floored by him raping some cheeser at RT last week and then disappearing against a pro bowler.

coastal
09-23-2013, 07:10 AM
The ESSENCE of Fool's Gold!

Novacane
09-23-2013, 07:16 AM
This is exactly what if figured would happen. He always has a couple big games a year to make his stats look good. Other then when he drew a holding penalty(1 on 1 vs a TE :rolleyes:) I didn't see him or hear his name called.

coastal
09-23-2013, 07:18 AM
This is exactly what if figured would happen. He always has a couple big games a year to make his stats look good. Other then when he drew a holding penalty(1 on 1 vs a TE :rolleyes:) I didn't see him or hear his name called.
He was too busy getting punched in the mouth again to make a peep.

jdaltroy5
09-23-2013, 08:42 AM
The ESSENCE of Fool's Gold!
You are far too happy when he fails.

mjt328
09-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Hate to say it, but our entire defensive line is waaaaay overrated.

The proof is in the results. Three different coordinators over the last three years. Always terrible against the run. Pressure on the quarterback once every 3-4 weeks. Overall, way too inconsistent and constantly dominated by good offensive lines (like the Jets).

Everyone loves Kyle Williams because of his ONE Pro Bowl season, and because of the constant love he gets on Pro Football Focus. Maybe it was the injuries. But the guy disappears just as often as Mario. Great game against the Panthers. Invisible yesterday. And now almost a quarter of the way through his third season, I think it's clear that Marcel Dareus is never going to be anything more than average. He's overweight and never does anything remotely special. These guys are at the dead center of a defense that can't stop any running back in the league - guys like Steven Ridley, Bilal Powell - from cranking out yardage on the ground.

Mario had the same reputation in Houston. Big games once in awhile, then nothing for a long stretch. This is simply who he is, and no change of scenery or new coaching staff is going to make him better. It was certainly worth the effort to sign him in free agency (at least we appeared to be TRYING), but unfortunately he's never going to be worth even half of that contract. And last but certainly least, Alex Carrington should not be starting in this league. Like Chris Kelsay before, he gets no pressure - and has no instinct for the ball. I can't count the times every week that he loses contain and lets the ball carrier get outside.

Before the season, I was holding out hope that a new coaching staff and a new season would bring out the talent on our d-line. I was wrong. These guys just aren't very good.
When the draft comes around next year, this is just as big of a need as linebacker - if not more.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 10:00 AM
The ESSENCE of Fool's Gold!And there you have it folks. Mario plays well one game, some say "Well, lets wait for the season to play out before we give him accolades". Mario plays poorly and the defeatists jump his ass.

Like I have said before, many take the opportunity to rip on the guy so they can massage their little egos and pimp their fantastic analyst status (At least in their own minds) I think they actually want Williams to play bad and many like to have the Bills' lose. They are the very definition of the Anti-Fan.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
I will also point out, at the risk of getting mocked for making an excuse, but it's hard for a pass rusher to be successful when the back end is playing like ****. When McKelvin went down, my heart sank. He was holding the secondary together the first two games.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 10:14 AM
You are far too happy when he fails.The word "Putz" comes to mind.

mjt328
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
And there you have it folks. Mario plays well one game, some say "Well, lets wait for the season to play out before we give him accolades". Mario plays poorly and the defeatists jump his ass.

Like I have said before, many take the opportunity to rip on the guy so they can massage their little egos and pimp their fantastic analyst status (At least in their own minds) I think they actually want Williams to play bad and many like to have the Bills' lose. They are the very definition of the Anti-Fan.

Being a fan does not mean turning blinders on to the truth.
Mario is in his 8th NFL season. He's never been consistent, in Houston or in Buffalo.

To be completely honest, I was a big supporter and I'm still very glad our front office signed him. We needed a pass rush badly, and we did everything in our power to get the best guy available on the market. I wish we showed that kind of aggressive/ruthless attitude with all of our moves and hires.

I knew Mario had consistency problems in Houston. I was hoping that a change in scenery when he signed in Buffalo, and playing alongside Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus would motivate him. It didn't. I was hoping I was hoping Mike Pettine would find ways to make him more consistent. So far, Mario has played well in one game and done nothing in two. The truth is, nothing has changed.

In my opinion, Mario was worth the gamble for a franchise like the Bills. It doesn't make me less of a fan to admit that gamble was a failure.

jdaltroy5
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Mario is in his 8th NFL season. He's never been consistent, in Houston or in Buffalo.

To be completely honest, I was a big supporter and I'm still very glad our front office signed him. We needed a pass rush badly, and we did everything in our power to get the best guy available on the market. I wish we showed that kind of aggressive/ruthless attitude with all of our moves and hires.

I knew Mario had consistency problems in Houston. I was hoping that a change in scenery when he signed in Buffalo, and playing alongside Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus would motivate him. It didn't. I was hoping I was hoping Mike Pettine would find ways to make him more consistent. So far, Mario has played well in one game and done nothing in two. The truth is, nothing has changed.

In my opinion, Mario was worth the gamble for a franchise like the Bills. It doesn't make me less of a fan to admit that gamble was a failure.There's nothing wrong with admitting a gamble is a failure.

What I find troubling is when people come to gloat about how they were right when a certain player or coach fails.

They would rather be right than have the player succeed.

I understand it, it's hedging their bets emotionally. They win either way.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 10:56 AM

In my opinion, Mario was worth the gamble for a franchise like the Bills. It doesn't make me less of a fan to admit that gamble was a failure.And if the Bills' didn't sign Mario. (Buffalo actually has to overpay to get Free Agents there) We would have heard a tumultuous scream that the FO doesn't want to do what it takes to win. Some acquisitions work out, some don't, but because we had to pay him so much money the expectations are very high. I don't know if anything less than the playoffs can satiate the naysayers. Even if that goal is a long shot for a team with mostly young players and a new HC. Like I alluded to, when Mario doesn't single handedly win the game, he's "Fool's Gold". When he is Defensive Player Of the Week, it's an aberration. Makes you wonder what the true motivation of his detractors, especially his main one really is? I would guess he wants to look correct and smart to his peers. It's ego driven and a character flaw.

coastal
09-23-2013, 11:10 AM
You are far too happy when he fails.
Where's the happiness?

oh that's right... it sailed wide right.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Where's the happiness?

oh that's right... it sailed wide right.:rofl: That's a low blow, even for you.....but supremely funny.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Mario is always getting hurt, wasted money.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2013, 11:48 PM
You could make a get rid of series for the entire defensive line.

They all only show up once a month except for Dareus, he just doesn't show up period.

B-U-S-T

JoeMama
09-24-2013, 04:31 AM
And there you have it folks. Mario plays well one game, some say "Well, lets wait for the season to play out before we give him accolades". Mario plays poorly and the defeatists jump his ass.

Unearned unhappiness is more satisfying than winning for Bills fans these days.

But when failure is unavoidably written in the stars, wishing for the worst for the sake of vanity is all some fans have.

I don't blame them.

My out-of-character positivity the last few years has only resulted in me looking stupid.

Guys like coastal, Spiked, Op, etc, are proven correct year in year out. Even if they're anti-fans, at least they're smart enough to know when they're being hoodwinked.

pmoon6
09-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Unearned unhappiness is more satisfying than winning for Bills fans these days.

But when failure is unavoidably written in the stars, wishing for the worst for the sake of vanity is all some fans have.

I don't blame them.

My out-of-character positivity the last few years has only resulted in me looking stupid.

Guys like coastal, Spiked, Op, etc, are proven correct year in year out. Even if they're anti-fans, at least they're smart enough to know when they're being hoodwinked.The thing is, it doesn't cost me anything to remain positive and look at players and not say "He sucks". This is mouthed by little turds that probably couldn't make their High School team. If accolades on a sports message board is the end goal, then yeah, those guys are Einstein reborn. In the grand scheme of life, they are just crybabies that ***** because they don't get their own way. It is amusing how they stamp their feet, though. Little princesses that want their reward NOW.

Here's a clue. Major sports are entertainment. If you're not entertained by a team pick another, if you are not entertained by the sport watch "The Real Wives Of New Jersey".

gebobs
09-26-2013, 04:57 PM
The thing is, it doesn't cost me anything to remain positive and look at players and not say "He sucks". This is mouthed by little turds that probably couldn't make their High School team.
I made my high school team. Does that qualify me to comment?

If you're not entertained by a team pick another
If only it was that easy.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-26-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm done with him. No fire. No impact. Goes through the motions and that's not what a $100M "star" is supposed to do. I don't know what the cap hit/financials are, but if it were up to me, I'd trade him or cut him next season. He's just not worth it.

Byrd is next on my list in the "Get Rid Of Series."

Sup Coasty. :D

coastal
09-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Sup Coasty. :D
Sup *****.

Mr. Cynical
09-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Bump. Invisible again.

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Bump. Looks like it's finally gonna happen.

pmoon6
01-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Looks like Coasty and Mr. Cynical should get a room so they can celebrate the total awesomeness together. I will bake cookies and send them.

What's left out is the two years when we were a top defense of which Mario Williams was a big part.

Was he worth the contract?

No.

However, before we signed him, I remember the grousing about the Bills FO not signing players, not spending to the cap, etcetera. They do and lots of you were still not happy. Sometimes I think you will never be.

swiper
01-03-2016, 03:34 AM
What's left out is the two years when we were a top defense of which Mario Williams was a big part.

No.

However, before we signed him, I remember the grousing about the Bills FO not signing players, not spending to the cap, etcetera. They do and lots of you were still not happy. Sometimes I think you will never be.

Exactly. And the problem is more OBD (than Williams) for finding a setting that allowed him to thrive (along with Dareus, K. Williams, & Hughes) and changing it.

coastal
01-03-2016, 06:02 AM

No.drops mic

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2016, 11:38 AM
drops mic

:rockout:

pmoon6
01-03-2016, 12:18 PM
drops micYou're still a douchebag.:D

Novacane
01-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Exactly. And the problem is more OBD (than Williams) for finding a setting that allowed him to thrive (along with Dareus, K. Williams, & Hughes) and changing it.

That doesn't excuse him not giving an effort.

psubills62
01-03-2016, 02:05 PM
I didn't pay much attention to Bills coverage (even this board) during the season outside of just watching the games. However, I did notice the comments Mario made about Rex screwing up the scheme or whatever and how he should just let the DL do its thing.

Could be wrong, but in games after those comments, I thought Rex really scaled back the blitzes and just let the DL pin its ears back. And when he did, we were a lot less effective at getting to the QB. Wouldn't have known we had a couple of 100 mil players on the DL. As much as I wish we could go back to the Jim Schwartz days, moving forward I don't know that Mario is a great fit. It made some sense that he's not giving effort, because I rarely noticed him at all.

Like I said, I could be wrong as I really didn't pay a ton of attention, but it just didn't look like a Rex Ryan defense the last half of the season or so.