PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of Series #2: "Jairus Byrd"

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Worst attitude on the planet. Toxic from what I can tell, albeit I can't say for sure obviously since I'm not there. Still, he is saying all the wrong things, he held out, etc., etc., and regardless of his talent, he's done in B'lo. They have a great rookie nucleus forming on the team with the right attitudes and the talent so get rid of all the negative blood IMO.

What are the parameters of being a franchised player? Meaning, what happens at the end of the season?

jdaltroy5
09-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Why don't you just post your thoughts on this in the 20 other Jairus Byrd threads?

EDS
09-10-2013, 03:33 PM
This could be a long series!

justasportsfan
09-10-2013, 03:41 PM
NO. I want Byrd to be 100% and play lights out. It only helps the team.

CoolBreeze
09-10-2013, 05:14 PM
All of you bow down to the OP, he has obviously seen the future. And knows the outcomes of our last 15 games.

feldspar
09-10-2013, 06:35 PM
This series is worse than "Joanie Loves Chachi."

Yeah, let's get rid of some of our best players 1 week into the season. Doesn't even make any sense at all. Mario and Byrd are already guaranteed their money now that the season has begun anyway, if all this is about is money...that's the way I understand it. Talk about this crap after the season is over.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 06:44 PM
This could be a long series!

Maybe. ;) Right now I just want the poison off the team. Too many talented solid young players that are starting to show promise to have to put up with bad examples from overpriced vets who don't put their contracts where their mouths are. I can deal with it if they produce, but if you cost alot, dont produce AND have a crappy attitude, the team is better off without those players.

OpIv37
09-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Initially I was all for keeping Byrd, but the longer this goes on, the harder it is to support him.

I have to wonder if he and his agent were just trying to bilk the Bills out of a huge signing bonus because he has the nagging, recurring type of injury and may never get another shot at that kind of money.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-10-2013, 06:51 PM
At this point I want them to trade Byrd, because it's obvious the team screwed this pooch to death and I'm sick of hearing about it and arguing about it. Let other teams have talent for a change.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Initially I was all for keeping Byrd, but the longer this goes on, the harder it is to support him.

I have to wonder if he and his agent were just trying to bilk the Bills out of a huge signing bonus because he has the nagging, recurring type of injury and may never get another shot at that kind of money.

Can definitely see that as happening. Guys who want to (or can) play don't say "when I'm 100%" I'll be out there. Wonder if there's something in his contract about the length of time he is not on IR the more bonus he gets...meaning, the longer he stalls, the more he gets....anyhoo, as the title suggests, Get Rid of Him. ;)

JoeMama
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Jairus Byrd is a game changer.

You keep game changers.

I understand why people think Mario Williams is a bum. He makes 100 mil but rarely affects the outcome of a game with a timely sack or QB pressure. The 10+ sacks a year are nice, but a little cosmetic. Etc etc. Fair enough.

But let's not make the mistake of lumping Byrd into that category.

sudzy
09-10-2013, 06:55 PM
It just seems he'd rather play other games then football with the Bills.

Scumbag College
09-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I think that Byrd has poisoned his own market value with the holdout and now the foot issue. If he barely plays this year due to this injury, no one will pay him the money he wants this offseason. I also don't see any team taking a gamble trading for the guy this year until they see him play some and with only the one year contract this year.

Novacane
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
At this point I want them to trade Byrd, because it's obvious the team screwed this pooch to death and I'm sick of hearing about it and arguing about it. Let other teams have talent for a change.

:rofl:

gr8slayer
09-10-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm done with Byrd.

GingerP
09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Cutting him makes no sense. His contract is guaranteed, and he would then sign with another team and make even more. You would be paying him millions to play elsewhere.

At the end of the year he is a free agent, and they will either have to tag him again or let him go. They are paying for this year, they should try to get what they can out of him.

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
They should sign their best players who make game changing plays in games they win.

Byrd did that last year against Arizona and Miami. He is a top 5 safety who is a UFA. In this system he gets to be the top dog for a year, until somebody knocks him out.

They should have given him the money

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Cutting him makes no sense. His contract is guaranteed, and he would then sign with another team and make even more. You would be paying him millions to play elsewhere.

At the end of the year he is a free agent, and they will either have to tag him again or let him go. They are paying for this year, they should try to get what they can out of him.

That's a fair point. Ok, so you don't cut him, but also don't plan on starting him either. Unless he noticeably brings it over a younger player, I'd rather the younger player get the experience, since Byrd will def be gone next year IMO, either by his own choice or the Bills FO. Let's keep building for the future for once with the *right* players, not ones who milk and run, or milk and retire.

gr8slayer
09-10-2013, 08:58 PM
The Bills, keep their best players? That's a good one...
They should sign their best players who make game changing plays in games they win.

Byrd did that last year against Arizona and Miami. He is a top 5 safety who is a UFA. In this system he gets to be the top dog for a year, until somebody knocks him out.

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
The Bills, keep their best players? That's a good one...
Hey, I qualified it with "should" for a reason

Beebe's Kid
09-10-2013, 09:18 PM

There is no real way to know what is going on. It seems far worse because there are three threads a day, where somebody comes up with the brilliant idea that they are done with Byrd. They loved him a few weeks ago, but they drew their red-line, and he has crossed it by not being willing to risk injury or play on an injury, in order to prove his worth to these fans.

They don't understand the business end of this game, and have no empathy for players. They think they are always right because they are the customer. That is their prerogative, but it is reactionary, and typical. It happens every time they think a player doesn't love them. Unrequited love...it is a terrible thing.

The Joni and Chachi reference was awesome.

The Jokeman
09-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Jairus Byrd is a game changer.

You keep game changers.

I understand why people think Mario Williams is a bum. He makes 100 mil but rarely affects the outcome of a game with a timely sack or QB pressure. The 10+ sacks a year are nice, but a little cosmetic. Etc etc. Fair enough.

But let's not make the mistake of lumping Byrd into that category.

you don't think having Mario Williams didn't help the D on Sunday? He did and while he didn't show it on the stat sheet I will say this, this defense is better with Mario Williams than without him. It's like all the hate Aaron Schobel got for years which I still don't get. As these guys are above average defenders yet maybe their stats aren't as great as say a Bruce Smith's because their playing from behind or behind the 8 ball. Not to mention we don't have a Bennett/Paup to offer up an alternate pass rusher.

Historian
09-11-2013, 07:38 AM

Agreed.

And on a larger scale...this is a chicken and egg argument, for me.

Which came first? Byrd's attitude, or the Bills' attitude?

How many times have we seen this with Pro Bowl calibre players ala Peters? Ala Cribbs and Butler? Just pick an era.

The Bills start out with a lowball offer, and stand pat. They simply show no interest in reaching an accord.

Why is that?

Because Jeff Littman runs this team, that's why.

So when I complain about the institutional dysfunction of this team, I'm not griping about player A or coach B...I'm blaming the administration in Detroit.

They're not FOOTBALL PEOPLE!

And THAT is the reason they have been in the dumper for 14 years.

That, as well as pushing Dwight Adams into retirement, (poor drafting) and showing Rusty Jones the door. (injuries)

Tom Donahoe screwed this team up bad in his couple years here.

Bill Cody
09-11-2013, 11:30 AM
In this system he gets to be the top dog for a year, until somebody knocks him out.

Kind of hard to be top dog when you claim your dogs are bothering you and you can't/won't play. Who earned their money more in week one, Mario or Byrd?

Bill Cody
09-11-2013, 11:34 AM
and he has crossed it by not being willing to risk injury or play on an injury, in order to prove his worth to these fans.

Ok I'm listening. Exactly what is he worth if he can't or won't play? And if he is too hurt to play explain again why the Bills should have paid him #1 in the league safety money? You Byrd fan boys want it both ways.

justasportsfan
09-11-2013, 11:56 AM

maybe thats the reason why the bills didn't want to pay him top safety money and wanted to see how his foot problems does this year. :idunno:

OpIv37
09-11-2013, 12:13 PM
maybe thats the reason why the bills didn't want to pay him top safety money and wanted to see how his foot problems does this year. :idunno:

That's what I'm wondering. Initially this looked like the team simply botched it again and refused to pay a great player. But maybe they knew or suspected he had an injury and wanted him to play through the year before committing.

Of course, maybe the team really did just botch it and got lucky on the injury. We may never know, and we definitely won't know until Byrd is out of town- whether that's at the trade deadline or 5 years from now.

Mr. Cynical
09-29-2013, 02:15 AM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Injuries have pummeled the Buffalo Bills' secondary early this season, but safety Jairus Byrd, who has plantar fasciitis, said Wednesday that he doesn't feel any added pressure to return.

"No," Byrd said. "I mean, obviously I don't want to see them do bad. I've said that since day one. But me going out there less than 100 percent isn't going to help the case either. It's like, I can't do anything about it. That's the tough part about it, really. Honestly."

Notice the term "them", not "we". He's gone already. Just need to pull the trigger to get the best value they can.

better days
09-29-2013, 06:46 AM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Injuries have pummeled the Buffalo Bills' secondary early this season, but safety Jairus Byrd, who has plantar fasciitis, said Wednesday that he doesn't feel any added pressure to return.

"No," Byrd said. "I mean, obviously I don't want to see them do bad. I've said that since day one. But me going out there less than 100 percent isn't going to help the case either. It's like, I can't do anything about it. That's the tough part about it, really. Honestly."

Notice the term "them", not "we". He's gone already. Just need to pull the trigger to get the best value they can.

Unless a team with playoff aspirations suffers an injury at the Safety position before the trade deadline, I think the Bills will get better value for him at the end of the season.

kishoph
09-29-2013, 07:09 AM
I don't know if a team can add incentives to a tender sheet for a tagged player, does anyone know if Byrd has any playing incentives in this tender he signed or if there is a minimum amount of games he needs to play to receive the whole $6.9 Million ?

YardRat
09-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Byrd is NOT a game-changer, by any stretch of the imagination. He may have made a couple of big plays in a game or two, but nothing that would qualify as 'game-changing', and he certainly isn't as consistent as safeties around the league that are far more talented and effective (and maybe worth the money he was looking for).

We couldn't cover a tight end over the middle or stop the run with him, we can't do any worse without him.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-29-2013, 10:41 AM
7 months ago, we had a thread on here asking who our foundational players were and, of course, many people picked Byrd on D. (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217080-Who-is-the-foundation-on-this-rebuild)

Now he's a useless bum who was never that good anyway.

Seems legit.

BertSquirtgum
09-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Byrd is a waste product. He needs to be excercised.

Novacane
09-29-2013, 11:51 AM

That said it all for me. To hell with him.

BuffaloRedleg
09-29-2013, 01:26 PM
That said it all for me. To hell with him.

To be fair, "we" would have just been plain ole' bad grammar in that context.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-29-2013, 01:45 PM
we will franchise him again, because we can afford it. and we will get a pick for him. Leonhard and searcy are better

YardRat
09-29-2013, 03:45 PM
7 months ago, we had a thread on here asking who our foundational players were and, of course, many people picked Byrd on D. (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217080-Who-is-the-foundation-on-this-rebuild)

Now he's a useless bum who was never that good anyway.

Seems legit.

He is good...not great, and certainly not irreplaceable. Is he top 5 in the league? Maybe...if not, he's close. One of the things the Byrd supporters continue to ignore is the front office was/is willing to pay him like a top five or so guy, but that isn't good enough for Jairus, or Parker, or both.

Finally, yes....his acting like a whiny little ***** over last 6 months or so has changed his status from 'foundational' to 'useless bum'.

Mr. Cynical
09-30-2013, 01:24 AM
To be fair, "we" would have just been plain ole' bad grammar in that context.

Ok, "us".

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Long time coming: This development is hardly a surprise in what has become a headache for the Bills and Byrd since February, when Byrd was assigned the franchise tender. General manager Doug Whaley told veteran NFL writer Dan Pompei as recently as last week (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1796378-buffalo-bills-youth-movement-already-paying-dividends-for-struggling-franchise) that the Bills "have not discussed trading him," echoing similar comments from CEO Russ Brandon on WGR 550 last month. The reality is, until a trade was close, there was no benefit for the team to admit they were trying to move him. Now that the news is out, it suggests a deal will happen soon.

SO, this is one Series thread that hopefully closes sooner than later, and with some good news. It'll be hard to get good value but will keep fingers crossed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/2329/analysis-bills-talking-byrd-trade

Bill Cody
10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Now he's a useless bum

Couldn't agree more

Mr. Cynical
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Bump. Yay.