PDA

View Full Version : Captains, Marrone to meet weekly

justasportsfan
09-11-2013, 07:07 AM
“I think the first thing he’s going to ask us in every meeting is what is on everybody’s mind and if there is something we need to do differently. He wants us to bring any issue that we have as players to him and that’s a good opportunity to get it out.”

“He says when we’re coming off the field we have to let him know what we’re seeing and what we think we can get done whether it’s on offense or defense what formations we’re getting,” said Jackson. “He said we know how to defend that stuff so to let him know so adjustments can be made.”
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Captains-Marrone-to-meet-weekly/1a38c5cc-e39b-443b-8835-c07f7c4cacc9

GvilleBills
09-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Sounds like the kind of coach that will have guys playing hard for him, shows he respects your input. Now, if he dismisses your input, could go the other way. But I dont see that happening here. Marrone will continue to grow, but I like this.

justasportsfan
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
K Williams: Hi Coach
Wood: Wassup?
FJ:Yo coach

Marrone: Whats the word in the locker room?
KW: most off us are unhappy about Miley Cyrus.
FJ: Byrd hates her and says he'd stick his Plantar fasciitis up her butt if she had one.
Wood: Mario loves her but tongue is annoying but he'd give her and ring for it if he could get it back from his ex.
KW: It's all on their FB pages coach.
:ill:

Fletch
09-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Exactly!

Sounds like another made-for-media feel-good bit of irrelevancy from a head coach that is learning as he goes.

I'd like to hear him talk about his inability to adjust to a team that featured crap as its offensive skill position players, after Brady of course, and against a D that's going to end up being average or just slightly above average by year's end.

They can all get together for tea for all that we care, it's what happens on the field, not in meetings, that matters. They're not going to face a less proven and worse overall set of receivers all season long. That was damn near like a preseason game for the Pats in that regard.

431 net yards allowed to a team that had Vereen running the ball and an Amendola hampered by a groin injury, Edelman, Thompkins, and Moonawawho'she at TE is hardly impressive, particularly considering that they could easily have scored two or three more times had they not made stupid mistakes and turnovers.

Imagine what the time of possession would have been then.

Turf
09-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Its incredible that amount of negativity every subject creates here. The coach is being a coach, there's nothing wrong with it.

DynaPaul
09-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Good idea, that's how organizations build themselves up in the eyes of their employees.

Beebe's Kid
09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Sounds like the kind of coach that will have guys playing hard for him, shows he respects your input. Now, if he dismisses your input, could go the other way. But I dont see that happening here. Marrone will continue to grow, but I like this.

I wonder if he got the input on the fact that he made the most ridiculous challenge an NFL coach has ever made 1 minute into his debut.

BillsImpossible
09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I wonder if he got the input on the fact that he made the most ridiculous challenge an NFL coach has ever made 1 minute into his debut.

I saw the review and thought it was a fumble. It was a good challenge because it was a fumble. The ball came out before the player was down. It was close, but at least he had the balls to throw the flag. Bills got screwed on that replay challenge.

OpIv37
09-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Its incredible that amount of negativity every subject creates here. The coach is being a coach, there's nothing wrong with it.

First, this isn't a "coach being a coach" because most coaches don't do this. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing about a coach doing this.

Second, the response to it is not negativity. It's skepticism- and with good reason. This team has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

Is it possible that Marrone thought of some excellent strategy that none of the great coaches of the past or the currently successful coaches have utilized? Sure it's possible, but it's not bloody likely. There's a much greater chance that this is a case of an inexperienced coach either letting the inmates run the asylum or putting himself in a position to alleviate himself from blame. I can almost hear the press conference now:

"Well, that particular strategy didn't work- it was brought to me in my weekly meeting with the player captains. Still, I take full responsibility- It was my decision to let them do it."

I honestly don't know if this will help, hurt, or make no difference whatsoever. But you can't blame people for being skeptical when the rookie coach of a struggling franchise pulls something like this out of his ass.

BillsFever21
09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
I saw the review and thought it was a fumble. It was a good challenge because it was a fumble. The ball came out before the player was down. It was close, but at least he had the balls to throw the flag. Bills got screwed on that replay challenge.

If I remember correctly the Patriots recovered the fumble to begin with. Even if it would've been ruled a fumble it wouldn't have mattered when we didn't recover the football in the first place. It was definitely a bonehead challenge and one of the worse I've seen. It's right up there with Jauron calling a timeout to think about whether he wanted to review a play.

Turf
09-11-2013, 09:07 PM
First, this isn't a "coach being a coach" because most coaches don't do this. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing about a coach doing this.

Second, the response to it is not negativity. It's skepticism- and with good reason. This team has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

Is it possible that Marrone thought of some excellent strategy that none of the great coaches of the past or the currently successful coaches have utilized? Sure it's possible, but it's not bloody likely. There's a much greater chance that this is a case of an inexperienced coach either letting the inmates run the asylum or putting himself in a position to alleviate himself from blame. I can almost hear the press conference now:

"Well, that particular strategy didn't work- it was brought to me in my weekly meeting with the player captains. Still, I take full responsibility- It was my decision to let them do it."

I honestly don't know if this will help, hurt, or make no difference whatsoever. But you can't blame people for being skeptical when the rookie coach of a struggling franchise pulls something like this out of his ass.

Bull****. A player comes to the huddle and says I can beat him outside to the QB. Why can't he communicate that to a coach? It gets everyone involved. It's good coaching. Of someone can beat a guy one on one I want to know about it. Or if they see something on the field. You're so closed off its pathetic really.

OpIv37
09-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Bull****. A player comes to the huddle and says I can beat him outside to the QB. Why can't he communicate that to a coach? It gets everyone involved. It's good coaching. Of someone can beat a guy one on one I want to know about it. Or if they see something on the field. You're so closed off its pathetic really.

Uh, because every player in the NFL thinks they can beat every other player every time. It's the coach's job to sort out when they actually can and when they can't. You can't even see that and you call me closed minded? Please.

And btw- this is just the captains. It's not even every player. And it's during the week, not during the game. So those two things alone blow your whole "I can beat him coach" theory out the window.

trapezeus
09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
is this different than any other coach and their relationships with the captains? i can understand if the last two idiots didn't do it since they were old school coaches which translates into dinosaurs.

but i would assume this is why the captaincy's are created. regularity in meeting is probably a good thing simply in case a big issue is brewing. the players will know how to bring it up behind closed doors.

justasportsfan
09-12-2013, 12:48 PM
I thought the Captains job was to complain to the refs babying Brady .

BTW, I posted this because I thought it was a good idea by Marrone.

In the video about Bellicheat, he got together with Brady on a regular basis prior to games and to disscuss his Ob gyn visits.

stuckincincy
09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Good idea, that's how organizations build themselves up in the eyes of their employees.

I wouldn't assign motive to organizations for an innocent thing like this.

It's a small thing, a simple matter of long-standing tradition of giving a salute to a team member who shows some leadership.

Good Lord, why do folks have to criticize things down to the atomic level so they can yak about some sort of perceived slight or conspiracy angle? What a crybaby society we have these days...