PDA

View Full Version : Geno vs EJ

The King
09-13-2013, 07:36 AM
After watching last nights slop fest I am very happy to have EJ.

Everything they said about Geno has been true to this point. The kid has a great arm he can hit some really small windows, but his confidence, leadership and decision making all unravel at the first sign of adversity.

His receivers did him no favors and the weather certainly took a turn, but he was under throwing everyone in the second half.

After he threw his first INT he complete one pass. He completed two more to the Patriots, going 3-11 with 3INT's in the 4th quarter.

Skills aside. EJ has a much better head on his shoulders, he's also much more equipped to lead. You've already seen that in his demeanor on and off the field. He certainly has more support internally that Geno does. And even though he has yet to throw an NFL interception you can see from his college resume that he's the type of kid who can shake that off. I do feel that the Bills are keeping him on the leash right now, but both TD's being audibles is exactly what you want to see from a young QB.

Geno is destined to be another Jimmy Clausen IMO.

better days
09-13-2013, 07:44 AM
I said in a different thread, Geno reminds me of Fitz. He made some nice throws, but at crunch time, he gave the game away to the Pats*

Brady did not win this game, Geno lost it.

justasportsfan
09-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Ej has had just one game. I'm almost sure Ej would have looked as bad if he were with the jets though. I think we have better O coaches than the jests do.

Uncle Jesse
09-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Smith looked a lot better than I expected, but he just looked miserable from the start. He walked on and off the field and his demeanor just wasn't that of a fiery leader. He certainly has the talent though.

Fletch
09-13-2013, 08:05 AM
I said in a different thread, Geno reminds me of Fitz. He made some nice throws, but at crunch time, he gave the game away to the Pats*

He had lots of help from Gates and Hill. He was three or four key drops away from adding another 100 yards and at least one TD, which would have been the game winner, to the Jets' bottom line. It's unlikely that he would have thrown more picks then.

Having said that it's way too early to come to conclusions on either QB. Manuel had his weaknesses, like what they said about him and how he played at FSU, being wildly inaccurate at times.

He benefits in the arena of public opinion by having had his two most accurate throws by a long shot having been the two TD plays. He was pretty bad in the first half and a 5.6 ypa is hardly good. And it's not like the offense was stout or anything. One TD was a defensive TD and another was set up by the D.

IMO both QBs look equally confident in the pocket. I thought that Smith faced tougher pass-rushing pressure yesterday than Manuel did here, likely because the Pats' focused on stopping Spiller and the running game, although they coudn't, but the Jets had no one for the Pats to concern themselves with, on paper at least, so I'm guessing that Belicheat chose to try to shut down Smith who threw for nearly 300 yards last week.

I'm actually surprised at how well Smith did play. All rookie QBs that throw a lot are going to have a few 2/3 INT games.

kishoph
09-13-2013, 08:32 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/1186271_10151639560615028_1574626393_n.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/1186271_10151639560615028_1574626393_n.jpg.html)

DraftBoy
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM
EJ has an up and down game, and he deserves time to grow and get better.

Geno has an up and down game, and he's the next Clausen.

Alrighty then.

The King
09-13-2013, 08:38 AM

Alrighty then.

Geno's head. Not his game. It's been down for quite a while.

DraftBoy
09-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Geno's head. Not his game. It's been down for quite a while.

Agreed, and it was nice to see the fire from Manuel on Sunday after the TD throws. Geno doesn't have that, though in talking to people last year who knew him at West Virginia the sitting by himself stuff is way overblown. He does struggle with adversity though.

The King
09-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Agreed, and it was nice to see the fire from Manuel on Sunday after the TD throws. Geno doesn't have that, though in talking to people last year who knew him at West Virginia the sitting by himself stuff is way overblown. He does struggle with adversity though.

Is it overblown? The NFL quarterback is the face of a franchise, you have to lead, you have to have confidence and you have to have your team have confidence in you. Geno just comes off somber all the time. Granted he's in the worst possible position with the Jets, he has Sanchez as a mentor and the entire franchise is in disarray. But he's made zero change from the guy at WV, Combine, and draft. It's not easy to rally around a guy like that.

Smith makes Phil Simms look out of control.

DraftBoy
09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Is it overblown? The NFL quarterback is the face of a franchise, you have to lead, you have to have confidence and you have to have your team have confidence in you. Geno just comes off somber all the time. Granted he's in the worst possible position with the Jets, he has Sanchez as a mentor and the entire franchise is in disarray. But he's made zero change from the guy at WV, Combine, and draft. It's not easy to rally around a guy like that.

Smith makes Phil Simms look out of control.

Yes what is shown on camera is usually after he has spoken with his WR's and OL. He led meetings at WVU and had nothing but respect and command of the huddle. Geno, Bailey, and Austin used to conduct impromptu film sessions to work on the next week's game plan without coaches. What the camera shows you is only a small part of what is going on down on the sideline so yes I think its way overblown.

better days
09-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Ej has had just one game. I'm almost sure Ej would have looked as bad if he were with the jets though. I think we have better O coaches than the jests do.

Well, Marty Mornhinweg has had proven success in the NFL as an OC. So much so, that he had a shot as the HC of the Lions which he failed miserably at. Meanwhile Nate Hackett is a ROOKIE OC.

better days
09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

Alrighty then.

It is not that Geno does not deserve time to improve.

But as I said in other posts, Geno reminds me of Fitz at this point in time.

He makes some nice throws, but when the game is on the line, he loses it with turnovers.

I am so happy to have EJ rather than Geno at this point in time.

Turf
09-13-2013, 09:24 AM
After watching the game last night, I keep going back to we had the Pats beat. The ultra conservative play calling at the end screwed us. We needed to air it out a bit. This ones on Hackett for me.
As far as Geno goes, he did make some very good long throws. It was nice to see a QB go downfield. EJ needs to start doing that. EJ did miss Graham on a play that could have sealed the game. Therein lies my concern with EJ, is his downfield accuracy with the long ball. I've seen RG3 hit that play all day long. That's what makes a franchise QB.
Geno started throwing behind his receivers late in the game causing the loss and his interceptions. I can't put my finger on it, just a gut feel. I don't like the kid, his demeanor, the dumb grin on his face. I'm glad we don't have him.

BidsJr
09-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Geno reminds me of JP Losman with worse attitude and worse leadership.

- - - Updated - - -

and worse judgement.

Historian
09-13-2013, 09:39 AM
I thought he stunk last night.

TacklingDummy
09-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Geno reminds me of JP Losman with worse attitude and worse leadership.

EJ reminds of Rob Johnson, Kelly Holcomb, and JP Losman rolled into one with the mobility, strong arm, injury, Comp. %, dink and dunks, and head.

The King
09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
After watching the game last night, I keep going back to we had the Pats beat. The ultra conservative play calling at the end screwed us. We needed to air it out a bit. This ones on Hackett for me.
As far as Geno goes, he did make some very good long throws. It was nice to see a QB go downfield. EJ needs to start doing that. EJ did miss Graham on a play that could have sealed the game. Therein lies my concern with EJ, is his downfield accuracy with the long ball. I've seen RG3 hit that play all day long. That's what makes a franchise QB.
Geno started throwing behind his receivers late in the game causing the loss and his interceptions. I can't put my finger on it, just a gut feel. I don't like the kid, his demeanor, the dumb grin on his face. I'm glad we don't have him.

RGIII has his own battles to fight, rolling him out cold on Monday he looked rough.

BidsJr
09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
EJ reminds of Rob Johnson, Kelly Holcomb, and JP Losman rolled into one with the mobility, strong arm, injury, Comp. %, dink and dunks, and head.

You forgot Fitzpatrick.

DesertFox24
09-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Guys way to early to judge either, or say EJ is just another dink and dunker.

One could call Tom Brady a dink and dunker his yard per attempt average is good because he is so accurate WRs get run after the catch but he is not a deep ball thrower most of his throws are 5 to 15 yards.

The King
09-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Guys way to early to judge either, or say EJ is just another dink and dunker.

One could call Tom Brady a dink and dunker his yard per attempt average is good because he is so accurate WRs get run after the catch but he is not a deep ball thrower most of his throws are 5 to 15 yards.
He's the definition of a Dink and Dunk QB

Historian
09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Smith isn't even build like an NFL player.

Reminds me more of a baseball pitcher.

HAMMER
09-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I thought he stunk last night.

I agree, he was mostly inaccurate, he fled the pocket much too quickly, took many false steps, and held the ball WAY too long. His demeanor bugs me and I would imagine bugs many of his teammates. Manuel looks like the better QB, and better leader to me.

Bill Cody
09-13-2013, 12:26 PM
He's the definition of a Dink and Dunk QB

Ok. Is that bad?

The King
09-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Ok. Is that bad?
Not if you have the right system.

soapman
09-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Geno is so easy to dislike because he is a huge douche. Like HUGE OJ Mayo, Dwight Howard, Ryan Leaf kind of douche that makes you want to see him do bad. That s-eating grin, that weird shaped head, that flutie like body in that ugly Jets uniform, he just makes you not like him, shocker he signed with Jay-Z's sports agency...****** d-bag And at any point you see him and you say hey he's not THAT bad, this image pops in your head...

http://i.minus.com/i1MMmMgYJBMSJ.gif

Mace
09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
I dunno. All I've seen so far from Smith is what happens when you throw an inexperienced rookie in and have him start firing away. We haven't done that, don't really need to anyway.

When Belichick first threw Brady in, the Pats offense was 483 passing attempts to 473 rushing attempts...it was measured. They started firing away the next season for 605 passing attempts to 395 rushes. They grew Brady and let him evolve. Jim Plunkett was beaten to crap in New England once and was terrible, then did halfway decent when he went to the Raiders and they protected him once in a while.

Neither Smith, or Manuel, being in the not-anointed category of QB's, walked in assured of being the starter and getting all the snaps from the start. In the current "hot" category of young QB's, Kaepernick (my personal favorite and I will ever gnash my teeth we didn't take him because I was nuts about him) soaked up some bench time behind a proficient if unspectacular Alex Smith before starting. RG3, and Luck came in anointed for the most part and got the whole show at once, but were thought to be sure things. Wilson probably impresses me the most, and I'm still unsure about him, but he pretty much took the job decisively and sure hasn't let my doubts affect what he's doing, get's all the first team reps.

But when you get into project level QB's, Manuel and Smith atm, I'm not so sure if we swapped them between the Bills measured approach and the Jets fire-away approach there would be much difference right now. I personally think Smith is doomed because he ended up with the Jets and I wasn't all that high on him anyway, but there's nowhere near enough showtime to say either one is boom or bust.

I liked Manuel's poise, the game was not too much for him, but the already beleagured staff didn't let it be too much for him either. Smith, well, I've never been real convinced of Marty Morninwhegs mad skillz anymore than I was convinced Jauron had some defensive skillz gene.

Give them a half season at least before labeling them, and keep in mind who they're playing for and what they're needed to do. Imho Smith is more screwed with the Jersey Jets than Manuel can possibly be with the cursed Bills.

Mace
09-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Geno is so easy to dislike because he is a huge douche. Like HUGE OJ Mayo, Dwight Howard, Ryan Leaf kind of douche that makes you want to see him do bad. That s-eating grin, that weird shaped head, that flutie like body in that ugly Jets uniform, he just makes you not like him, shocker he signed with Jay-Z's sports agency...****** d-bag And at any point you see him and you say hey he's not THAT bad, this image pops in your head...

http://i.minus.com/i1MMmMgYJBMSJ.gif

And there's that, yes.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2013, 06:45 PM
To sum up this thread...

Geno will suck because he's a Jet...EJ will be awesome because he's a Bill.

Got it.

Mace
09-13-2013, 07:18 PM
To sum up this thread...

Got it.

Hopefully, yes.

better days
09-13-2013, 09:49 PM
To sum up this thread...

Got it.

About time you got with the program.

Meathead
09-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Geno is destined to be another Jimmy Clausen

racist

stuckincincy
09-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Sanchez put on that IR-recall thing:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23645121/jets-place-mark-sanchez-on-designated-to-return-ir

MattyNH
09-14-2013, 07:56 PM
It's easy to say EJ over Smith at this point because Smith has a bunch of INT's but that is not really fair, we have not seen enough of either to make that call. By the end of the year we will know more.

TigerJ
09-14-2013, 08:22 PM
From my perspective, we don't have a large enough sample of work to make iron clad assessments of either QB. That said, things I have read suggest to me that EJ might be more of a leader at the QB position than Geno Smith. Everything we've seen of Manuel since he's been a Bill suggests he had a great attitude toward the game and his role in it to go with a strong skill set. Geno's attitude on the other hand has been a bit erratic from what I've seen off the field. I'm not unhappy that Buffalo picked Manuel over Smith for that reason, but there's still a lot we need to learn about him.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 03:01 PM
To sum up this thread...

Got it.

Exactly!

Fletch
09-23-2013, 03:07 PM
From my perspective, we don't have a large enough sample of work to make iron clad assessments of either QB. That said, things I have read suggest to me that EJ might be more of a leader at the QB position than Geno Smith. Everything we've seen of Manuel since he's been a Bill suggests he had a great attitude toward the game and his role in it to go with a strong skill set. Geno's attitude on the other hand has been a bit erratic from what I've seen off the field. I'm not unhappy that Buffalo picked Manuel over Smith for that reason, but there's still a lot we need to learn about him.

Unfortunately right now Manuel is Bledsoe in terms of accuracy if even that. He's great on the short stuff, but not much better than Fitz on the deeper stuff.

Yeah yeah, you want to root for him, but that's not going to turn him into an NFL QB, neither is Hackett.

Either way, he'd better get that accuracy thingy corrected or he's toast. It's been there all preseason and now the regular season and he drags it into the NFL with him from college.

Expect teams to take a page from the Jets' D playbook and start to blitz him and force him to make more of those deeper throws. That's what I'd do if I were an opposing DC. I'd take my chances on bad throws and hope that I benefit more from INTs than I suffer from big deep plays.

Stay tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

It's easy to say EJ over Smith at this point because Smith has a bunch of INT's but that is not really fair, we have not seen enough of either to make that call. By the end of the year we will know more.

In yesterday's Jets game Smith's receivers were more his issue than he was. It was the opposite with us, Manuel was more the issue.

Crisis
09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Geno Smith stats yesterday

@ Justin Rogers: 6/9, 254 yards, 2 TDs

@ Everyone else: 10/21, 77 yards, 2 INTs

He picked on a historically bad corner all game. I still don't think he's anything special, he should be sending half his paycheck to Rogers this week because lord knows he's going to be needing it.

I think we just picked a bad year to take a QB.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 09:27 PM

He picked on a historically bad corner all game. I still don't think he's anything special, he should be sending half his paycheck to Rogers this week because lord knows he's going to be needing it.

Any QB will pick on a sub par CB, do you blame him?

imbondz
09-23-2013, 10:06 PM

are those stats true?

Crisis
09-23-2013, 10:35 PM
are those stats true?

yes

- - - Updated - - -

Any QB will pick on a sub par CB, do you blame him?

no, but people should take his performance in context

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 10:41 PM
yes

- - - Updated - - -

no, but people should take his performance in context

I do, but you take whats handed to you.