X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

EJ and "Wildly Inaccurate"

I keep hearing this phrase being thrown around various threads/message boards about EJ and fans perspective of his time at Florida State. Some have even made similar comments about his game vs the Patriots last week.

This guy was career 67% completion guy in college with the 24th best ALL TIME NCAA YPA.

The pass to Stevie should have been completed. The pass to Chandler should have been completed. The missile to Woods that was called back would have added to his game.

IMO it is much better to have most every pass potentially catchable than every completion perfectly thrown.
    Last edited by BidsJr; 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: EJ and "Wildly Inaccurate"

The Bills havent had a QB who could hit that fade route since Bledsoe. I have zero issues with EJ's arm.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
      I keep hearing this phrase being thrown around various threads/message boards about EJ and fans perspective of his time at Florida State. Some have even made similar comments about his game vs the Patriots last week.

This guy was career 67% completion guy in college with the 24th best ALL TIME NCAA YPA.

The pass to Stevie should have been completed. The pass to Chandler should have been completed. The missile to Woods that was called back would have added to his game.

IMO it is much better to have most every pass potentially catchable than every completion perfectly thrown.
      Who are the 23 ahead of him?

I don't have an issue with EJ's arm nor do I have much of an issue with his accuracy. I have an issue when he tries to aim the ball or over thinks what he's trying to do. His performance on Sunday was similar to his first game of the pre-season. A few really nice throws and some really bad throws. He'll get better, he'll gain confidence and he'll improve. How much? Well that's the question we all will be dying to know the answer to.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post

I don't have an issue with EJ's arm nor do I have much of an issue with his accuracy. I have an issue when he tries to aim the ball or over thinks what he's trying to do. His performance on Sunday was similar to his first game of the pre-season. A few really nice throws and some really bad throws. He'll get better, he'll gain confidence and he'll improve. How much? Well that's the question we all will be dying to know the answer to.
        It is an ALL TIME list. What difference does it make who the 23 ahead of him are? I can tell you one QB it is not & that is Geno Smith.

And in his first game, EJ made many more good throws than bad throws. 2TD's, 0 INT's.

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

I think DB's point might have been the opposite. That list might consist of guys like Eric Crouch and Ryan Leaf.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
            I think DB's point might have been the opposite. That list might consist of guys like Eric Crouch and Ryan Leaf.
            Ding, Ding, Ding.

My point was that a statistic like that is worthless without context.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• BidsJr
              • Sep 2002

Who are the 23 ahead of him? He is also 20th ALL TIME in comp% in NCAA history lol. This is exactly the type of micromanaging/overanalysis I am talking about. Every QB has bad throws. Facts are that he is one of the best NCAA QB's in history at completing the ball for excellent yardage. Not in the run and shoot, fun and gun or Texas Tech offense. But in a pro style O.
              "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Who are the 23 ahead of him? He is also 20th ALL TIME in comp% in NCAA history lol. This is exactly the type of micromanaging/overanalysis I am talking about. Every QB has bad throws. Facts are that he is one of the best NCAA QB's in history at completing the ball for excellent yardage. Not in the run and shoot, fun and gun or Texas Tech offense. But in a pro style O.
                That's what I asked, and who are the 19 ahead of him in comp %. These numbers mean nothing without context.

What over analysis, I simply asked a question.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Ding, Ding, Ding.

Well, I have always said, statistics can lie. But still that is an impressive stat for a guy NOBODY expected to be drafted in the first rnd.

And if you use the eyeball test, EJ has passed that with flying colors so far.

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

I am as high on EJ as the next guy, but I am much more interested in mechanics and decision making when it comes to college. It's tough to compare guys who are throwing to NFL ready receivers, and Matt Ryan for example, who may have had one receiver go UDFA to the NFL.

Didn't Jemarcus Russell set all kinds of records?
                    It was all

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

i think what we are going to end up with is a big black roethlisberger that can run. hes not going to throw darts all over the field like marcia, but he will keep plays alive, be tough to take down, and make enough pretty throws to keep defenses honest. tack on an above average amount of rushing yards and youve got a guy who can definitely be part of a championship team
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BidsJr
                        • Sep 2002

Ding, Ding, Ding.

Context is that he seems to be carrying his ability to complete passes over to the NFL without much dropoff. Small sample size for sure and I hope it continues. The other people on the lists that were not able to carry it over obviously didn't make it.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          Well, I have always said, statistics can lie. But still that is an impressive stat for a guy NOBODY expected to be drafted in the first rnd.

And if you use the eyeball test, EJ has passed that with flying colors so far.
                          Agreed, hence my question. You're eye ball test is way too easy then if you're already handing out passing grades.

- - - Updated - - -

Context is that he seems to be carrying his ability to complete passes over to the NFL without much dropoff. Small sample size for sure and I hope it continues. The other people on the lists that were not able to carry it over obviously didn't make it.
                          No its not, also you have massive sample size issues.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• The King
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                            i think what we are going to end up with is a big black roethlisberger that can run. hes not going to throw darts all over the field like marcia, but he will keep plays alive, be tough to take down, and make enough pretty throws to keep defenses honest. tack on an above average amount of rushing yards and youve got a guy who can definitely be part of a championship team
                            I would take this in a heartbeat, especially since he has a ring.
                            It was all

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                              • Aug 2004

If what we saw in preseason and the 1st game is what Marrone and Co. have planned for EJ, I'd happy. I saw a game manager so far. They ask him to do a lot of safe short passes. Keep turnover and risky throws to minimum. Occasionally, make plays like the one to Stevie's TD pass. That's quite different from Luck's plan last year or even Geno Smith's approach where they were/are throwing all over the place.

From where EJ was in college, I think being able to read what NFL defense is trying to do and yet building confidence is the proper approach. The God given talent is always there. Don't push it. Let's see if Marrone can do with EJ like what he did in Syracuse, developing a QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X