PDA

View Full Version : K John Potter gets a gig with WAS

stuckincincy
09-15-2013, 06:33 AM
"The Washington Redskins signed kicker John Potter on Saturday as insurance if Kai Forbath can't play in Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers, The Washington Post reported. "...

They cut QB Pat White to make roster room.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243865/article/report-redskins-sign-john-potter-with-forbath-injured

kishoph
09-15-2013, 06:53 AM
I liked Potter, I think he had a problem with DeHaven wanting directional kicks, I couldn't understand how the kid boomed every kickoff out of the endzone in preseason, then when the season started he's hitting the 10 yard line. The same happened with Hopkins this year, during camp, every kick going out, then in the preseason games, they're short. Why do these ST coaches insist on direction and hang time on kickoffs, instead of just letting them boom it out of the endzone, over thinking in my opinion. They may be afraid of a line drive being returned, but it's better than having short kicks (wear on your players) or even one going out of bounds.

stuckincincy
09-15-2013, 07:04 AM
I liked Potter, I think he had a problem with DeHaven wanting directional kicks, I couldn't understand how the kid boomed every kickoff out of the endzone in preseason, then when the season started he's hitting the 10 yard line. The same happened with Hopkins this year, during camp, every kick going out, then in the preseason games, they're short. Why do these ST coaches insist on direction and hang time on kickoffs, instead of just letting them boom it out of the endzone, over thinking in my opinion. They may be afraid of a line drive being returned, but it's better than having short kicks (wear on your players) or even one going out of bounds.

IMO, directional kicks often end up being short kicks. With the demise of the wedge - advantage return team.

I wonder if that illegal touch rule still exists - where a savvy player would step out of bounds and touch a sideline ball - and get it spotted on the 40.

Goobylal
09-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Not sure what happened last year, but I think this year the Bills knew that Hopkins could kick the ball out of the end zone no problem. So they had him work on kicking it close to the goal line to try to get teams to start their drives inside the 20 yard line.