• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Some thoughts

Well, a win is a win. And frankly, this is a win the team deserved. Based on what I saw, they outplayed Carolina all day except for a few bad plays.

1) That last drive could not have gone more perfectly. If Jackson holds onto that one pass, we lose. The PI moved us so far downfield and didn't take time off. They took off just the right amount of time. Scoring any quicker would have given time for a Carolina FG.

2) I missed the first few drives, but I thought the run D looked good. Needed it to be better in the last drive, but things worked out anyway.

3) Stevie and Mario really showed up today. Great to see. Robert Woods looks good.

4) Penalties. I think this comes from three things: youth, aggressive coaching, and poor coaching. The first and third things clearly need to be fixed. Hate seeing points result from stupid penalties.

5) We've got a number of good players injured. Goodwin could add a great dimension to our offense, and Gilmore hurts. Seems like the coaches are getting lot out of the team.

6) Pass defense seems good. Helps to have a dangerous DL. Also helps that Newton was really off with the deep throws. But the defensive improvement is clearly due to coaching overall. I like Pettine.

7) Really need to get Spiller going, along with the offense overall. Some of the play calls were good, some pretty terrible. These drives ending in FG's or missed FG's need to turn into TD's. Hopefully they will as EJ progresses.

8) Did Gragg play? We need a TE who can get YAC, especially if you're calling plays that require it on 3rd down.

Those are off the top of my head. They don't really represent how pissed I was during a lot of the game, but still the ones that I came up with here.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Some thoughts

Well stated but it's the nature of a rebuilding team.

Tough to watch for 58 minutes and then hope for the right ending.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Fixxxer
      • Jul 2002

That has to be the most unimpressive 106 yard game if I ever saw one. Spiller is a threat every time he touches the ball but his compass is broken at times.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

A few more...

-I'd like to say Woods is going to be a good WR...but he already is. The stats will come. The subtleness of his moves is something you expect from a vet.

-Spiller was running PO'd today, you could see it.

-Mario...when you play with fire, good things can happen...build on it.

-4 TO's inside their own 30 in 2 games. That has to change. I suspect it will, but it just can't continue. On the good side, the D gave up 6 points on 2 TO's.

-I guess the Lee Smith holding call had to be made, since his arm was outside his body..but damn. One stupid placement of the arm negates a long gain.

-I might be in the minority, but I don't think Manny Lawson is all that bad of a LB.

-Couldn't have been happier for SJ to catch a game winner. I know he likes to talk and to showboat. I also know he works pretty damn hard as a receiver. His effort goes unnoticed at times, but its there.

-Aaron Williams...cut the crap. Seriously. And quit pretending like you don't know what you did. Don't play dumb, don't play dirty. That was both.

-Keep taking shots downtown and the timing will come EJ. And damn...work on that little skinny post with Woods...you two start hitting that, you're going to be lethal.

-The D certainly didn't give up towards the end of the 4th, but they did look tired. I don't knwo how you correct that when you're running a no huddle, but it is what it is..

-What do you say when your QB dives forward on a run and ends up taking out a DT? I don't know, but a part of me actually grinned.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
          -The D certainly didn't give up towards the end of the 4th, but they did look tired. I don't knwo how you correct that when you're running a no huddle, but it is what it is..
          The no huddle...I'm not really a fan, but I wonder if it will become more effective as time goes on and EJ (hopefully) develops.

In my opinion, a good way to use it would be to run a regularly timed offense until you get at least one first down (establish something of a rhythm). Then you switch to uptempo, no-huddle.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Gragg was inactive.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
              A few more...

-I'd like to say Woods is going to be a good WR...but he already is. The stats will come. The subtleness of his moves is something you expect from a vet.

-Spiller was running PO'd today, you could see it.

-Mario...when you play with fire, good things can happen...build on it.

-4 TO's inside their own 30 in 2 games. That has to change. I suspect it will, but it just can't continue. On the good side, the D gave up 6 points on 2 TO's.

-I guess the Lee Smith holding call had to be made, since his arm was outside his body..but damn. One stupid placement of the arm negates a long gain.

-I might be in the minority, but I don't think Manny Lawson is all that bad of a LB.

-Couldn't have been happier for SJ to catch a game winner. I know he likes to talk and to showboat. I also know he works pretty damn hard as a receiver. His effort goes unnoticed at times, but its there.

-Aaron Williams...cut the crap. Seriously. And quit pretending like you don't know what you did. Don't play dumb, don't play dirty. That was both.

-Keep taking shots downtown and the timing will come EJ. And damn...work on that little skinny post with Woods...you two start hitting that, you're going to be lethal.

-What do you say when your QB dives forward on a run and ends up taking out a DT? I don't know, but a part of me actually grinned.
              You correct it by scoring. If the O starts putting points in the board, the short drives mean little when the opposing O has to play catch-up.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

Ron Rivera won't last much longer in Carolina. He may not even last the season. I loved seeing them so conservative at the end of the game. They just ran the ball up the middle three times and was content with a FG. One more first down would've sealed the game and they could've ran the rest of the time off the clock. I'm still shocked they didn't at least attempt one short throw to get the first down when they had 2nd and 6 or so.

That is the correct strategy if a FG put you up by 9+ points and even isn't that bad if it puts you up a full TD where you can't lose the game if the other team gets a TD. When it only puts you up by 6 points and a TD can still lose you the game then it was a horrible call. I was pleasantly surprised to see them bail out on it and be content with the FG. They must not have thought we could drive down the field and score and were playing the odds. They lost and it worked out in our favor.
                Last edited by BillsFever21; 09-15-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  You correct it by scoring. If the O starts putting points in the board, the short drives mean little when the opposing O has to play catch-up.
                  Scoring is the top priority, but just moving the chains & taking time off the clock goes a long way towards tiring a defense out & keeping the Bills defense rested.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                    • Sep 2010

The game would have been in the bag of we didn't fumble and turn it over giving them instant field goal territory.
                    Originally posted by OpIv37
                    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

Working...
                    X