PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton is mediocrity personified

WagonCircler
09-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Other than one long TD pass to a totally wide open WR, he was nothing more than a pedestrian, below average journeyman who couldn't manage to get his team TDs instead of FGs.

His performance was/is about 1/10000th of his ego.

EJ wasn't a superstar today, until it counted, then he SCHOOLED Newton. And this was just his second game ever.

Newton had more overthrows than Chuck Knoblauch.

It was a great day at the Ralph, and seeing that punk Scam Newton get his ass kicked made it all the better.

DynaPaul
09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I have Panther friends who thinks he's the best thing since Joe Montana... I just laugh. Guy is all flash.

Jeff1220
09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
I thanked this post for great use of a Chuck Knoblauch reference.

imbondz
09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I like Cam. He runs a lot less than he did his rookie season

Meathead
09-15-2013, 08:42 PM
he had his moments for sure but overall wasnt as impressive as i expected

jdbillsfan
09-15-2013, 08:43 PM
It looked like he just ran off the field after the game. Didn't shake hands...

Johnny Bugmenot
09-15-2013, 08:57 PM
You have to feel sorry for the Panthers. Two years in a row they drafted a top QB in the draft and neither one has amounted to jack squat.

Maybe they can drag Jake Delhomme out of retirement.

Jeff1220
09-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Maybe Rivera is the problem?

better days
09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
You have to feel sorry for the Panthers. Two years in a row they drafted a top QB in the draft and neither one has amounted to jack squat.

Maybe they can drag Jake Delhomme out of retirement.

NOBODY should feel sorry for the Panthers except for their fans.

They traded John Fox in for Ron Rivera. EVERYTHING they get, they deserve.

WagonCircler
09-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I thanked this post for great use of a Chuck Knoblauch reference.

Thanks. He won out over Rick Ankiel.

psubills62
09-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Cam used to have a lot of touch on his deep passes, especially in college. That was really lacking today. Not really sure what happened (but I'll take it). He's good enough to be decent in the NFL, but I've never thought he'd be anything special. The rookie success was coupled with the strike that really took the defenses down a notch. I remember the NFL in general having record offensive numbers early on that year.

Crisis
09-15-2013, 09:58 PM
I always thought he'd be Vince Young part II. He's a bit better than Young but mediocre is the perfect description.

Historian
09-16-2013, 05:17 AM
I texted Lecter at halftime, and told him I thought Newton was playing like ****.

Now, perhaps some of that was the Bills defense.

They didn't get to him as much as I would have liked to see, but it was clear their job was more to contain him due to his running ability.

One play he had like 6 seconds to throw the ball.

He has talent, but I think the team is a bit mis-managed.

Buckets
09-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Cam used to have a lot of touch on his deep passes, especially in college. That was really lacking today. Not really sure what happened (but I'll take it). He's good enough to be decent in the NFL, but I've never thought he'd be anything special. The rookie success was coupled with the strike that really took the defenses down a notch. I remember the NFL in general having record offensive numbers early on that year.

The coaches probably didn't like his "mechanics" and "F***ed" him up.

Turf
09-16-2013, 07:41 AM
The fact that he chews gum during the game makes him an ******* to me. Total lack of respect for what's happening on the field.

Uncle Jesse
09-16-2013, 08:05 AM
You don't realize how big this dude is until you're in the first row looking at him, holy crap, he's a massive man.

I think he needs more help. Their running game is very average, and he has Steve Smith, Olsen, and nothing else. They really need a few more weapons for him.

Mr. Miyagi
09-16-2013, 08:45 AM
I have Panther friends who thinks he's the best thing since Joe Montana... I just laugh. Guy is all flash.
No truer words were ever spoken. :up:

The King
09-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Maybe Rivera is the problem?
Bingo!

WagonCircler
09-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Bingo!

Rivera wasn't the one throwing passes to the wrong area code.

WagonCircler
09-16-2013, 08:58 AM
You don't realize how big this dude is until you're in the first row looking at him, holy crap, he's a massive man..

Shaquille O'Neal was massive.

Also inaccurate with the ball.

better days
09-16-2013, 09:01 AM
To me the best play Cam had was when he was about to get sacked & broke free & completed a pass to Olson for about 15 yds.

That is the kind of athletic play he brings. With the pressure the Bills defense had yesterday, I doubt any QB would have done better.

The King
09-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Rivera wasn't the one throwing passes to the wrong area code.
Rivera is clueless on offense though. On those two defensive stands they left Olsen in on 3rd down to block. He's your redzone target, it's just lousy playcalling. I know he doesn't call the offensive plays but he completely separates himself from the offense and that's why he'll be unemployed in December.

justasportsfan
09-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Rivera is clueless on offense though. On those two defensive stands they left Olsen in on 3rd down to block. He's your redzone target, it's just lousy playcalling. I know he doesn't call the offensive plays but he completely separates himself from the offense and that's why he'll be unemployed in December.

Don Shula's kids IMO are crappy coaches.

Historian
09-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Again, I think some of it has to be credited to the Bills defense.

justasportsfan
09-16-2013, 09:06 AM

Pettine is the best hire of the offseason. In years past, the bills D would have rushed 3 players in the last play of the game for that Hailmary attempt. Pettine blitzed ,game over.

jimmifli
09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
There was no where to run up the middle and outside running was almost as tough. They didn't get many 2nd and 3's yesterday. 2nd and 9 when your run game struggles to make the line of scrimmage can put a lot of pressure on the QB.

pmoon6
09-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Where is the Scam fluffer? Spike said we would all give our left nut to have Newton just a month ago......

trapezeus
09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
newton was incredibly inaccurate for the game. who knows if that is who he is or because he got hit quite a bit, and more as the game wore on. there was one blitz, where we didn't get him, but KIKO came flying through the gap and really that was the tale of the second half defense for the bills.

PTI
09-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I think Newton can dominate, but that team is coached horribly, and they have only 1 receiver.

WagonCircler
09-16-2013, 11:00 AM

I don't exclude the possibility that it's a mix of poor coaching and inaccuracy, but there were at least 6 or 7 plays where Scam was not under pressure and missed his targets BADLY.

Inexcusable.

What we saw here was Scam Newton, figured out and neutralized. The Bills D contained him and forced him to be a pocket passer, for which he is ill suited.

Ingtar33
09-16-2013, 01:00 PM

my problem with cam coming out of college is Auburn basically ran 15 passing plays. on all 15 plays newton threw the ball to a spot on the field at a timed moment regardless of coverage or defense. the only thing that changed was there was a lot of 1 read option run/passes and formations. otherwise he basically threw the ball to one place without needing to read anything.

it was about as simple a scheme as you could put into place for a QB, and he REALLY mastered those 15 "areas" of the field he threw the ball to... but he never had to throw a 10,15 or even 20 yard out. he didn't need to throw a fade, and he certainly didn't need to throw a seam pass at all... ever... in college. it wasn't in the 15 passes he was asked to make. (but he threw one hell of a 12 yard slant to the left hashmark, his best scripted throw by far in that offense) so i was skeptical he'd transition to the pros.

he has a boat load of natural talent but as you could see, he really is under developed as a QB. it will be another 3 years before we know how he'll turn out. it probably will take that long for him to develop enough game time experience to grow into a great QB (if he can survive that long).

lmcshadow
09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Bingo!
Cam is the victim of his OC..Shula dumbed it down 3 notches

better days
09-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Cam is the victim of his OC..Shula dumbed it down 3 notches

I guess Shula made a mistake to not dumb it down 6 notches.

lmcshadow
09-17-2013, 01:21 PM
I guess Shula made a mistake to not dumb it down 6 notches.
like that really made @#@#$