X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick all have done it in Bills uniforms

Leading the Bills to the last second win. Losman had it in Houston and at home the next week (I believe), Edwards did in DC and then at home against the Raiders. Fitz, before he signed that big contract, led the Bills to overcome the Raiders and the Pats at home.

Those are the only ones I can remember, sadly.

Based on how it turned out for those guys eventually, I'm not going to say EJ has arrived. But there are key differences. The obvious one is how soon EJ achieved this, only his 2nd game in his NFL career. The next one is the his poise. I can honestly I haven't seen a Bills rookie regardless of position who is that poised under pressure situation. Trent Edwards showed some poise when he came on the scene but even that was not close to EJ's.

During that last drive starting at the 20, a lot of people, those who watched with me and read posts on the board, everyone was yelling throw deep, throw deep. But EJ did the right thing, almost Brady like, took what they gave him, no panick, not trying to do something unusual.

The most important thing though is leadership, having teamates beliving in you. Losman never had it during his entire time here. Edwards lost it after his concussion. There were always questions about Fitz from his draft pedigree to his performance. EJ looks to have a huge advantage in this area.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick all have done it in Bills uniforms

I wouldn't say EJ has arrived but he's definitely our best hope at a franchise QB since Kelly. And I don't mean to throw that around casually. Closest we had since Kelly was Bledsoe, and he never had the poise like EJ. Drew always looked a bit clueless in his eyes.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

The hurry up offense totally prepares EJ for drives like this. The list mentioned above, I don't think anyone of those players lead the team on a drive inside two minutes with zero timeouts.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

Well yeah there's a difference.

He's already made more 10+ yard pass attempts than Edwards made his entire rookie year; and
        He's already made more correct decisions than Losman did his entire first year as a starter.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Just the sheer mention of Losman's name makes me mad. I hated that kid. Everything about him I hated.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Until EJ becomes a threat in the vertical passing game everytime teams stack the box, I wouldn't say he's arrived. Once again, it's encouraging but he needs to get better passing that ball.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

I don't count Bledsoe and for that matter, Flutie because you knew from the outset they were NOT long term answers. Bledsoe lasted 3 maybe 4 years after coming to the Bills and the Bills drafted Losman because they knew as well. Flutie had poise --- at 39 year old.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                Just the sheer mention of Losman's name makes me mad. I hated that kid. Everything about him I hated.
                I lliked him. I was even wearing his jersey (to wash my dog) last weekend. :)

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  Until EJ becomes a threat in the vertical passing game everytime teams stack the box, I wouldn't say he's arrived. Once again, it's encouraging but he needs to get better passing that ball.
                  I once attended a seminar by Bill Walsh here - a buddy of mine working for an agency here had an extra ticket. It's about developing QB and mostly attended by high school coaches etc. since Western PA was a hotbed for QB. I remembered hearing him say that for most of the gifted young QBs, they attempted big downfield throw too much - 1) they can, 2) impress girls and friends, 3) wow coaches, in that order. When they goes through high school, college, and god forbidden to NFL, it just becomes the only way for them to play the passing game. What he would do is eliminating the 25 and 30 yard passing route and force them to do reads (understanding defense), improving QB skills (look off defenders), and improve accuracy. Once they get better at that, the long balls will come naturally for those who has the arm.

Coming to think of it, Losman must be the one who throw long from high school on and everyone loved his arm thru and thru. It seemed that every time he's to pass, he looked to see where he can throw the longest route.

Not saying Walsh's way is the only way to develop QBs, but it looks like Marrone and Co. subscribe to his method.
                  Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                    I once attended a seminar by Bill Walsh here - a buddy of mine working for an agency here had an extra ticket. It's about developing QB and mostly attended by high school coaches etc. since Western PA was a hotbed for QB. I remembered hearing him say that for most of the gifted young QBs, they attempted big downfield throw too much - 1) they can, 2) impress girls and friends, 3) wow coaches, in that order. When they goes through high school, college, and god forbidden to NFL, it just becomes the only way for them to play the passing game. What he would do is eliminating the 25 and 30 yard passing route and force them to do reads (understanding defense), improving QB skills (look off defenders), and improve accuracy. Once they get better at that, the long balls will come naturally for those who has the arm.

Coming to think of it, Losman must be the one who throw long from high school on and everyone loved his arm thru and thru. It seemed that every time he's to pass, he looked to see where he can throw the longest route.

Not saying Walsh's way is the only way to develop QBs, but it looks like Marrone and Co. subscribe to his method.
                    I don't expect EJ to keep throwing deep balls but I want him to hit them when they dare him to.

He missed Stevie and Chandler early in the game. Those were throws Fitz could've made easily.

EJ's arm if far stronger than Brady's.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                      Well yeah there's a difference.

He's already made more 10+ yard pass attempts than Edwards made his entire rookie year; and
                      He's already made more correct decisions than Losman did his entire first year as a starter.
                      And EJ has already thrown 3 TD's. EJ will have more TD passes than Trent had his entire career by the end of the season.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        And EJ has already thrown 3 TD's. EJ will have more TD passes than Trent had his entire career by the end of the season.
                        I liked Trent, thought we got something there for a period of time and he was starting to graduate to hit long passes ...

But I gotta admit the way EJ shakes off his fumbles and INT and came back is a quality unmatched by any of them, including Bledsoe/Flutie if you include them. If the goings were bad, it was going to be bad and they lost confidence themselves. For EJ, his manner is more Kelly like - he believes he's going to snap out of it the next possesion and he gets people around him to believe that, too.

Comment

• kishoph
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

Hence the West Coast offense.

Comment

• Turf
                            • Jul 2002

They may have done it but not in their second start as a rookie. That being said, EJ missed a wide open Chandler for an easy TD, and his downfield accuracy need to get more consistent.
                            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

There is a higher expectation in EJ and justified how he deals with mistakes. for the last 13 years, the QB's who've made mistakes would :

1. keep making more
                              2. have the head down and just thinking about it.

for better or worse, EJ kind of just shakes it off and moves on. i'm sure there will be games where he makes 4 turnovers and goes on to make one more with no answer. but he also seems to be able to telegraph a pass right to the opposing d, and then come back with 1:36 and feel comfortable enough to look like he's got 15 minutes to get a score.

the things that make me be cautious are:
                              1. its week 2
                              2. Carolina is now0-2 and seems to have some problems with closing games or taking the bull by the horn when they can. the bills gave them 3 chances to shut the game down and they didn't do it. i thought Carolina was a better team, but their record shows they might be one of the weaker ones.
                              3. They now face a jet team with 10 days of rest....thanks NFL.

But, if the bills beat the jets, then this is a season.

Comment

Working...
                              X