• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Penalties

I think we all expected this team to make some mistakes early on. And some calls you have to be ok with. Like last week the defense was playing aggressive and you jump occasionally or when Gilmore gets flagged for playing too physical.

But the penalties on Aaron Williams and Summers should both be called out and I think both players should be fined by the team. Both were completely unnecessary and just a perfect example of self inflicted wounds. The Summers call totally deflated the defense. The Williams penalty will most likely be fined by the league, but in order to set an example in house, this is really a play we should all point to. Totally uncalled for thuggish play.

Not sure what the fine rules are under the new CBA. But the time is now to call this stuff out.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Buddo
    • Mar 2007

Re: Penalties

I have to agree. There are always some pens that seem like they could have gone either way - the holding call on Searcy with Olsen, looked rather strange to me, for example, and you will occasionally get called for something that is very 'borderline', where the hit comes a touch too late for the zebras liking, or the guy is barely out of bounds, and whoever is flying in, can't truly stop themselves. Williams hit on Ginn, wasn't like that at all - he was so obviously off the field, it was almost ludicrous. Mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't the end result of a bit too much trash talking from Ginn Jr, who appeared to have quite a bit to say for himself whenever he made a play. Doesn't justify it though.

The Summers one was plain silly. He needs to learn the lesson from that one, as that could have changed the game completely. It wasn't even particularly malicious or anything, as it looked to me that he just got tangled with his guy, yet then deliberately fell on his leg(s) so he couldn't get up again in a hurry, which was totally pointless, as neither of them were going to be anywhere near the football.

The biggest 'issue' I've got with some of the penalties we are taking, is the horrendous timing of them. Often, we dig a bigger hole for ourselves with them, and it makes a hard game, that much more difficult. Both of the aforementioned penalties, had that effect Sunday.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Aaron was so hyped up, he just flew off the handle. I'm glad to see these types of emotions but there has to be a limit.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

He had plenty of time to pull up, the guy was like 4 feet out of bounds.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by The King View Post
          He had plenty of time to pull up, the guy was like 4 feet out of bounds.
          Williams' penalty was just stupid, and then he walked around the sideline talking smack, having zero idea that he just made a very very costly penalty. Outside of that he actually played pretty well, especially in run support, but Marrone needs to reign that in. I hope Williams gets more than an earful during film sessions.

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

the Aaron Williams penalty was the most ******ed yesterday
            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

This team has to be more disciplined on the field. Two idiotic penalties that helped sustain drives for Carolina as well as put points on the board. That can't continue. I can appreciate passion but passion to the point of giving points to the other team is idiotic.

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

The dumb penalties are just awful.

Still mad about the holding on the punt though, that ball was already punted, no way it should have been Panthers ball.

Comment

• Thief
                  • Sep 2009

Yeah, he seriously had no idea he just made a penalty. And, it was right after he just celebrated like he won a Superbowl the previous play w a defensed pass (I think). But, he is young, I guess he didnt act like he done it before... because he never has, lol. Hopefully he will next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by PTI View Post
                  The dumb penalties are just awful.

Still mad about the holding on the punt though, that ball was already punted, no way it should have been Panthers ball.
                  That is what I thought! I was pissed!

Comment

• EricStratton
                    • Jul 2002

The zebras explanation on why they picked up the flag when CJ was hit after the whistle was also a head scratcher.

The ref said something like "the ball carrier was still running" which somehow makes it ok to ignore a whistle?

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

it wasn't even a catchable ball, that's what made it so ridiculous. and watching other games, the threshold of a penalty for hitting someone out of bounce is so small.

With the exception of crushing spiller well after the play is over. that apparently fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X