PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Trent Richardson Goes From Browns To Colts for1st Round Pick

Night Train
09-18-2013, 05:35 PM
He was just the 3rd overall pick 2 years ago.

black N yellow
09-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Didn't see that one coming.

THRILLHO
09-18-2013, 05:38 PM
And they traded up for him.

Night Train
09-18-2013, 05:39 PM
TD should love Cleveland. They're tanking for Clowney. :laughing:

Night Train
09-18-2013, 05:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9690728/cleveland-browns-trade-trent-richardson-indianapolis-colts-according-source

don137
09-18-2013, 05:47 PM
First the Colts go from Manning to Luck. Now, they are gift wrapped Richardson. Starting to hate that team.

No clue what Cleveland is thinking.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Richardson was a bad pick and bad move to even acquire.

I'm sure he and his 3.5ypc will be missed.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-18-2013, 05:56 PM
What idiots. Don't they know the going rate is a 4th rounder with a conditional 6th?

DesertFox24
09-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Surprised they got a first, but the browns are an almost certain win now. They are clearly tanking to get a top QB.

Buffalogic
09-18-2013, 06:14 PM

The browns are an embarrassment. Way to move up from 4 to 3 (why?) to take a rb in round one to trade him the next year. He and Luck will win a superbowl together.

jdaltroy5
09-18-2013, 06:22 PM

The reason he doesn't have a great YPC is because teams knew he was the Browns only weapon. They would just stack the box and dare Weeden to beat them.

He still had 11 TDs and almost 1000 yards last year as well as 51 receptions.

I have a feeling he is about to have a Lynch style change to his career in Indy.

trapezeus
09-18-2013, 06:23 PM
indy is looking to be pretty formidable for a couple years of richardson actually can improve behind a better line.

ParanoidAndroid
09-18-2013, 06:25 PM
RB's are plenty and not worth early 1st round picks. The recent history of top 15 picks used for RB's is not good.

2013 - none
2012 - Trent Richardson (jury is still out)
2011 - none
2010 - C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews (Spiller is a threat but not a workhorse and needs a timeshare, Matthews has not faired well in the rare case he is actually healthy)
2009 - Knowshon Moreno (not a workhorse and often injured)
2008 - Darren McFadden (good but every time he gets going he gets hurt) Jonathan Stewart (yuck)
2007 - Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch (finally we have a really good outcome at picks 7 and 12)

Miami_Vice
09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
lol at the Browns. They are obviously tanking this season to get a QB

TacklingDummy
09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Damn, we should have asked them if they wanted Spiller.

TacklingDummy
09-18-2013, 06:29 PM
lol at the Browns. They are obviously tanking this season to get a QB

Great move by the Browns, they robbed the Colts.

BillsFever21
09-18-2013, 06:32 PM
What idiots. Don't they know the going rate is a 4th rounder with a conditional 6th?

This was almost identical to our trade but they received a 1st round pick instead of a 4th. It's pretty bad when they pulled off a better trade then the Bills and Lynch went on to be a top 5 RB in the league. At least they didn't draft a RB in the first round again this year either.

JoeMama
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
God damn it, he's on my fantasy team.

This is definitely bad news in the short run.

mayotm
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
This was almost identical to our trade but they received a 1st round pick instead of a 4th. It's pretty bad when they pulled off a better trade then the Bills and Lynch went on to be a top 5 RB in the league. At least they didn't draft a RB in the first round again this year either.Not exactly the same thing. Richardson doesn't have any of the off the field baggage that Lynch had.

mayotm
09-18-2013, 06:40 PM
God damn it, he's on my fantasy team.
Then you should be happy. He'll actually have the chance to score playing for Indy.

JoeMama
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Then you should be happy. He'll actually have the chance to score playing for Indy.

He's gotta learn the playbook first.

Then they have to show a willingness to run the ball instead of doing what they normally do, which is asking Luck to sling it 35+ times a game.

If this move pays off, it won't be for a few weeks down the road.

mayotm
09-18-2013, 06:45 PM

Then they have to show a willingness to run the ball instead of doing what they normally do, which is asking Luck to sling it 35+ times a game.

If this move pays off, it won't be for a few weeks down the road.Yes, it will likely be a few weeks, but they didn't just give up a first not to utilize him.

Buffalogic
09-18-2013, 06:54 PM

If this move pays off, it won't be for a few weeks down the road.
Wrong. This is the best case scenario you could have hoped for. Trich going to make an immediate impact in Indy opposed to being terrible every game in Cleveland.

Cleveland is a total joke. Trade their best player because he 'doesn't fit' Chud's system? Way to be a slave to a philosophy that has gotten you 0 wins and sacrifice your only offensive talent while doing it. Garbage franchise.

YardRat
09-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Ralph is cheap.

TacklingDummy
09-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Im not sure if the playbook for a running back is that difficult to learn.

JoeMama
09-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Wrong. This is the best case scenario you could have hoped for. Trich going to make an immediate impact in Indy opposed to being terrible every game in Cleveland.

That's what I'm hoping for.

But rarely does a guy switch teams (or get signed off the street) mid-season and do anything relevant.

I've got Doug Martin, Lamar Miller, D'Angelo Williams, and Fred Jackson on my bench. I should be okay. But a feature back switching teams at this point is unusual and does add a ton of question marks to the equation for the time being.

JoeMama
09-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Im not sure if the playbook for a running back is that difficult to learn.

It's a shorter learning curve than other positions. That's true.

Not sure it's irrelevant to the point where Richardson is worth a start 3 days after joining a new team.

JoeMama
09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Cleveland is a total joke. Trade their best player because he 'doesn't fit' Chud's system? Way to be a slave to a philosophy that has gotten you 0 wins and sacrifice your only offensive talent while doing it. Garbage franchise.

Yeah, what kind of system is this guy running if an almost 32 y/o, off-the-street Willis McGahee is a better fit than Trent Richardson?

jdaltroy5
09-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I guess that's what happens when you take an NFL Network analyst and make him your GM.

jimmifli
09-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Being a Browns fan is harder than being a Bills fan.

While we might passively lose our talent, the Browns actively try to lose theirs.

I respect anyone that can still be a fan of that team. It speaks volumes for their character.

TacklingDummy
09-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Not sure it's irrelevant to the point where Richardson is worth a start 3 days after joining a new team.

I can see your dilemma, maybe they will use him on the goal line.

BillsImpossible
09-18-2013, 07:33 PM
The Browns just shat their pants. Major fudge skid marks in Cleveland steamer land, lol....

Brownies for dessert tonight! What a coincidence. Where's the vanilla ice cream?

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 07:39 PM
The reason he doesn't have a great YPC is because teams knew he was the Browns only weapon. They would just stack the box and dare Weeden to beat them.

He still had 11 TDs and almost 1000 yards last year as well as 51 receptions.

I have a feeling he is about to have a Lynch style change to his career in Indy.

Not a chance.

He's a dancer who lacks vision. His poor YPC wasn't a result of teams stacking the box, it was a result of him not hitting the hole quickly most of the time because he didn't recognize it.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 07:45 PM

He's traded because he flat out sucks. Tashard Choice could run for 3.5ypc. Why pay a guy big money to be a difference maker and he's not? FFS it's not like Trent Richardson is, was or ever will be a top 5 NFL RB. Not to mention his running style will leave him largely ineffective in 5 years on top of the fact he's apparently always hurt. I'll give him credit for playing through it but the fact remains he hasn't been healthy since he reached the NFL.

Meathead
09-18-2013, 07:58 PM
hey at least they got a first for him

Mr. Miyagi
09-18-2013, 08:09 PM
The Brownies are laying downy for Clowney.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Stockpiling enough to get Bridgewater, if they don't finish worst in the league.

ParanoidAndroid
09-18-2013, 08:26 PM

RB's are plug-and-play. He'll come out on 3rd and long, but he's going to get carries on 1st and 2nd right away.

BillsFever21
09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
To think how bad the Browns management has been that they have been to the playoffs since our last appearance puts our level of futility in even more perspective.

If they had good management then they could've just taken Tannehill with the 4th pick in the 2012 draft and then grabbed Doug Martin with their second pick in the first round. They still would've had a QB and a RB out of that scenario along with the few draft picks they traded just to move up one spot in the draft. Instead they took a RB they traded a year later and paid over 13 million dollars too along with a crappy QB who was already in his late 20's when they drafted him. What a horrible ran organization.

tampabay25690
09-18-2013, 08:33 PM

The great QB play probably had nothing to do wit that ????

TacklingDummy
09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Stockpiling enough to get Bridgewater, if they don't finish worst in the league.
Clowney and Boyd.
Future could be bright for the Browns.
Smart move getting rid of Richardson, I thought they drafted him too high to begin with.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
The great QB play probably had nothing to do wit that ????

Um, Peterson doesn't have great QB play. Spiller didn't have great QB play.

It's an excuse.

He sucks. Lacks vision.

jdaltroy5
09-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Not a chance.

He's a dancer who lacks vision. His poor YPC wasn't a result of teams stacking the box, it was a result of him not hitting the hole quickly most of the time because he didn't recognize it.
Yeah, but you have to remember that he was a rookie last year.

Remember the knock on Spiller? He lacked vision and danced around too much.

The guy had 12 TDs and 1300 all purpose yards as a rookie last year.

That's nothing to scoff at.

jdaltroy5
09-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Um, Peterson doesn't have great QB play. Spiller didn't have great QB play.

It's an excuse.

He sucks. Lacks vision.
And Spiller averaged 3.8 yards per carry in his rookie year. He had 0 TDs as well.

gebobs
09-18-2013, 09:21 PM
This and the Weeden situation make Survivor easier this year.

Here's my line on the Survivor I'm running. Any feedback would be appreciated.

1 IND v. Oak
2 OAK v. JAC
3 MIN v. CLE
4 DEN v. PHI
5 STL v. JAC
6 KC v. OAK
7 GB v. CLE
8 SF @ JAC
9 SEA v. TB
10 TEN v. JAC
11 HOU v. OAK
12 BAL v. NYJ
13 DAL v. OAK
14 NE v. CLE
15 ATL v. WAs
16 SD v. OAK
17 NO v. TB

I hate risking road team. I don't like much divisional games, but the ones I've taken are the best bets I can see for the week.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 09:38 PM

And Spiller averaged 3.8 yards per carry in his rookie year. He had 0 TDs as well.

I won't begrudge his all purpose yards...but that's not 3rd overall pick numbers to me.

Also, unlike Spiller, he was the feature back from day 1.

Not to mention he doesn't have the speed or explosiveness of Spiller. Plus he's more of an upright bruiser type of runner who doesn't have a lengthy career as it is and TRich hasn't been healthy since he's been in the NFL.

Personally, I think the Browns fleeced the Colts on the trade BUT it's not that exciting since Cleveland wasted what they did to get him.

BertSquirtgum
09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I feel very bad for Cleveland fans. I would be devastated to know that my team has given up on the season so early. Especially in the eyes as a season ticket holder.

BillsFever21
09-18-2013, 09:57 PM

1,300 all purpose yards isn't very tough in today's NFL especially if you see 300+ touches. He did a good job scoring TD's but many of them were short TD's and somebody had to score them on the team. God knows how many of them were in mop up time of the game either. He's always injured and hasn't been a game changer or big playmaker.

ServoBillieves
09-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh my Browns fan friends are having minor heart attacks and resenting life...

Sounds like something the 'fans' here would want us to do... give up, get high draft picks and throw away a good player.

Feel bad for the Browns faithful. There'll be a few poodles in the dog pound for the rest of the season.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Clowney and Boyd.
Future could be bright for the Browns.
Smart move getting rid of Richardson, I thought they drafted him too high to begin with.

I'd have no problem with that duo.

I think their D is pretty set except the secondary though, and Indy's pick won't be high enough to get Boyd or Clowney.

If they go defensively with the Indy pick, I'd love to see Mack out of UB. That dude is gonna be a player.

imbondz
09-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Weird trade by Indy. Why wouldnt they pick up McGahee, then save their first round next year for a rb. Instead of trade for a possible injury prone back. Cleveland got a good deal I guess but torture for fans to keep having to start over

indy could find a decent back in the 2nd next year too, wouldn't even need to give away a first round

Skooby
09-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Indy wants to win now.

BillsFever21
09-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Weird trade by Indy. Why wouldnt they pick up McGahee, then save their first round next year for a rb. Instead of trade for a possible injury prone back. Cleveland got a good deal I guess but torture for fans to keep having to start over

indy could find a decent back in the 2nd next year too, wouldn't even need to give away a first round

They brought in Bradshaw who is already injury prone and can't be lead RB. After Vick Ballard went on the IR they must have felt the need to get somebody now and try to compete in the playoffs this season.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
They brought in Bradshaw who is already injury prone and can't be lead RB. After Vick Ballard went on the IR they must have felt the need to get somebody now and try to compete in the playoffs this season.

So instead they traded for a RB who is injury prone. Horrible trade by the Colts.

Knee issues to start 2012, then broken ribs, then busted finger on top of it, then ankle. Literally was on the injury report every week of 2012.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Indy is acting like they think they are a contender in 2013. Look at the crazy stupid money they spent in FA.

TBH, as overrated as I thought Indy was last year, with how weak the AFC looks I can't say it's a bad strategy.

BillsFever21
09-18-2013, 10:43 PM
So instead they traded for a RB who is injury prone. Horrible trade by the Colts.

Knee issues to start 2012, then broken ribs, then busted finger on top of it, then ankle. Literally was on the injury report every week of 2012.

I'm not saying I think it's a good trade but teams do desperate things when they feel they have a chance to compete. There's nothing good out on the streets so you need to make a trade if that's what they wanted bad enough. With the AFC being weak this year outside of Denver anybody could sneak in. Manning isn't the most clutch playoff QB out there.

If they weren't in the same division as the Texans they may have been able to get Ben Tate for maybe a 3rd round draft pick if the Texans were willing to trade their insurance policy for Foster. Tate has shown great ability and is unhappy about playing second fiddle to Arian Foster and wants his own starting gig.

He's in the last year of his contract so the Texans will lose him after this year since I doubt they would re-sign him after giving Foster all that money. IF they were willing to trade him then they could get a decent draft pick out of him. They definitely wouldn't trade him inside the division to their only real contender if they went that route. I doubt they would either way with Foster's offseason injuries and the Texans being a team who is ready to win and compete now.

They probably still could've traded a middle round pick for a proven backup on another team and used him to split carries with Bradshaw for this season. They must feel that Richardson is worth the risk though. Money isn't an issue since the Browns already paid his big signing bonus and they only owe him about 6 million for the next few years. That's a high draft pick to give up for him though.

BuffaloRedleg
09-19-2013, 12:35 AM
I actually think it is brilliant. They are recognizing their mistake draft a RB that high and have actually leveraged that mistake to virtually guarantee they get a legit blue chip QB in the next draft.

Not only do they have the ability to trade up to get a QB, but if they are really terrible they can draft a marquee QB and still have another 1st rounder.

That is some serious balls and acknowledgement that the only thing that matters is getting a legit franchise QB and then building from there.

Great move.

edit: that being said, they owe some season ticket holders their money back. Long term great move, short term, some people are getting absolutely ripped off.

Night Train
09-19-2013, 03:58 AM

Johnny Football or Teddy Bridgewater, more likely.

kishoph
09-19-2013, 05:06 AM

I think the Browns will end up grabbing McGahee.

DBrown77
09-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Bad move by the Colts in my opinion. A 1st is way too high for Richardson.

DraftBoy
09-19-2013, 07:08 AM
I guess that's what happens when you take an NFL Network analyst and make him your GM.

To be fair Lombardi was a GM before he was NFL Network analyst.

TacklingDummy
09-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Oh my Browns fan friends are having minor heart attacks and resenting life...

Sounds like something the 'fans' here would want us to do... give up, get high draft picks and throw away a good player.

Feel bad for the Browns faithful. There'll be a few poodles in the dog pound for the rest of the season.Actually its the Bills fans are the ones going crazy about it. The Browns fan on here thinks it was a good move.

JoeMama
09-19-2013, 07:19 AM

The last guy who was traded early in the season was Marshawn Lynch.

As good as he is, he struggled his first year in Seattle.

Overall 3.6 ypc

Weekly rushing totals...

carries / yards
17 for 44
24 for 89
9 for 7
11 for 48
13 for 29
7 for 36
7 for 21
21 for 83
10 for 29
12 for 60
14 for 53
20 for 75

So I do think Trent Richardson will deal with a learning curve.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2013, 07:30 AM
The Browns just pulled one of the Bills' favorite tricks. Draft a really good player early to fill a big hole, get rid of him, and then have to draft another guy to fill the same hole, instead of using that pick on a different position of need.

It's called running in place, and we did it continually for 13 futile years

justasportsfan
09-19-2013, 07:35 AM
The Browns fan on here thinks it was a good move.

the browns fan here is the only Jauron fan left.

bdutton
09-19-2013, 07:55 AM
The Browns just pulled one of the Bills' favorite tricks. Draft a really good player early to fill a big hole, get rid of him, and then have to draft another guy to fill the same hole, instead of using that pick on a different position of need.

It's called running in place, and we did it continually for 13 futile years

Marshawn Lynch: 4th and a 6th from Seattle.
Trent Richardson: 1st and 4th.

Running backs are not as durable over time (Lynch and Peterson are exceptions). Decent Running backs are also fairly easy to find in the draft's middle rounds.

Cleveland is rebuilding and need to stockpile draft picks in order to get a quality core starting with a franchise QB. Having two 1st rounder's and a guarantee that one of those will probably be in the top 5 to begin with means they have a lot of bargaining leverage in next years draft.

This is what Cleveland has to work with in the draft next year:

1st Round Pick:

1st Round Pick (IND):

2nd Round Pick:

3rd Round Pick:

3rd Round Pick (PIT):

4th Round Pick:

4th Round Pick (IND):

5th Round Pick:

6th Round Pick:

7th Round Pick:

7 picks in the first 4 rounds will net a lot of talent and most of those will be in the upper half of each round.

Night Train
09-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Just to summarize... after Richardson was selected, the Browns owner found out he may be facing financial ruin.

It's probably the major reason driving this, on top of Irsay overpaying.

trapezeus
09-19-2013, 08:12 AM
i feel like a billboard owner in Cleveland might be sitting on a goldmine in the upcoming weeks.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Sorry, I don't see how trading a young 1st round pick - a guy who ran for 950 yards with a couple of broken ribs, on a crappy team - for what will likely be a lower 1st round pick plus a 4th, will help. You need a premier RB, again, and I doubt you will get one as good as Richardson without using a 1st rounder. Maybe the 4th rounder will be good.

But you've traded an established player who has proven he can run in this league for a couple of maybes. This looks like the work of a desperate team, which it is. They definitely need a QB, which they'll take with one of their 1st rounders, and probably should have kept Richardson around to see how he goes with a better QB.

mayotm
09-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Sorry, I don't see how trading a young 1st round pick - a guy who ran for 950 yards with a couple of broken ribs, on a crappy team - for what will likely be a lower 1st round pick plus a 4th, will help. You need a premier RB, again, and I doubt you will get one as good as Richardson without using a 1st rounder. Maybe the 4th rounder will be good.

But you've traded an established player who has proven he can run in this league for a couple of maybes. This looks like the work of a desperate team, which it is. They definitely need a QB, which they'll take with one of their 1st rounders, and probably should have kept Richardson around to see how he goes with a better QB.I'm not defending the trade, but it's more about the new regime not liking Weeden than Richardson. The Browns now have a lot of picks to trade up for the best QB available.

bdutton
09-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I don't see how trading a young 1st round pick - a guy who ran for 950 yards with a couple of broken ribs, on a crappy team - for what will likely be a lower 1st round pick plus a 4th, will help. You need a premier RB, again, and I doubt you will get one as good as Richardson without using a 1st rounder.

No. The league is moving away from the run with the new contact rules for the QB and receivers. Most teams are going with a 2 back rotation and are pass heavy. Last year only 3 teams were rushing more than they are passing.

stuckincincy
09-19-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm generally circumspect about players from powerhouse college clubs like Alabama. Remember rb Mark Ingram? And cb Dre Kirpatrick - who was injured last year, and is again injured, has made only one notable contribution: An out-of-bounds late hit penalty on a punt return that ended up with CHI ficking what was to be the game winner.

jdaltroy5
09-19-2013, 09:07 AM
I won't begrudge his all purpose yards...but that's not 3rd overall pick numbers to me.

Also, unlike Spiller, he was the feature back from day 1.No, they probably aren't 3rd overall pick numbers, but again, he was a rookie. Adrian Peterson had 1600 all purpose yards and 13 TDs as a rookie. Marshawn Lynch had 1300 all purpose yards and 7 TDs. Frank Gore had 750 yards and 3 TDs. Steven Jackson had 850 yards and 4 TDs.

I could go on and on. It is very rare for a rookie to come in and dominant, especially a bruising type RB. They are used to being able to run over a LB and keep going.

Not to mention he doesn't have the speed or explosiveness of Spiller. Plus he's more of an upright bruiser type of runner who doesn't have a lengthy career as it is and TRich hasn't been healthy since he's been in the NFL.He doesn't have to have the speed or explosiveness of Spiller. That's not the kind of runner he is.

I agree with the injuries though. He seems to always be fighting something. I'm sure Indy's doctors checked him out thoroughly before pulling the trigger though.

Personally, I think the Browns fleeced the Colts on the trade BUT it's not that exciting since Cleveland wasted what they did to get him.I think any time you can get a top 3 pick for a mid first rounder a year later, you've done well.

GvilleBills
09-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey, that's my line. :D

justasportsfan
09-19-2013, 09:49 AM
He's traded because he flat out sucks. Tashard Choice could run for 3.5ypc. Why pay a guy big money to be a difference maker and he's not? FFS it's not like Trent Richardson is, was or ever will be a top 5 NFL RB. Not to mention his running style will leave him largely ineffective in 5 years on top of the fact he's apparently always hurt. I'll give him credit for playing through it but the fact remains he hasn't been healthy since he reached the NFL.

He's a dancer

I thought that about Lynch as well. Loves to zigzag instead of running North to South. Then he went to a team that new how to use him.

Difference is, Lynch got his 11 td's in his 7th season in the league (3rd with seattle) while Richardson got his in his rookie year and 51 receptions while playing only 15 games. Lynch also had a better supporting cast than Richardson.

So if you compare who had what in a matter of time, you're not making any sense.

jimmifli
09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
i feel like a billboard owner in Cleveland might be sitting on a goldmine in the upcoming weeks.
"Fire The Browns"

justasportsfan
09-19-2013, 10:37 AM
The browns really blow

“Yeah, I found out on the radio,” Richardson said during an interview with 19 Action News in Cleveland. “Actually, one of my friends called me. He was like, ‘You got traded?’ I was like, ‘Man, shut up talking to me. Get off my phone.’ I turned on the radio, and all of a sudden I heard, ‘Cleveland Browns running back has been traded to the Colts.’ It just hit me in my face like I can’t believe … I didn’t see it coming. I had good relations with everybody. I guess it’s the best for the Browns. At the end of the day, it’s the best move for both of us, I guess. I want to be a Brown. I didn’t see it coming, but at the same time, I’m a Colt now, so I got to move on get ready for Sunday’s game.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/trent-richardson-learned-trade-browns-colts-radio-125110397--nfl.html

gebobs
09-19-2013, 10:49 AM
I lived in Cleveland back in the late 80's/early 90's. It was a toilet. I went back a few years ago and I swear it looked worse. By contrast, Buffalo looks good.

I know Indy is boring as all get out, but he has to be pinching himself that he's at least going to a team that has a future.

imbondz
09-19-2013, 11:13 AM
The browns really blow

“Yeah, I found out on the radio,” Richardson said during an interview with 19 Action News in Cleveland. “Actually, one of my friends called me. He was like, ‘You got traded?’ I was like, ‘Man, shut up talking to me. Get off my phone.’ I turned on the radio, and all of a sudden I heard, ‘Cleveland Browns running back has been traded to the Colts.’ It just hit me in my face like I can’t believe … I didn’t see it coming. I had good relations with everybody. I guess it’s the best for the Browns. At the end of the day, it’s the best move for both of us, I guess. I want to be a Brown. I didn’t see it coming, but at the same time, I’m a Colt now, so I got to move on get ready for Sunday’s game.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/trent-richardson-learned-trade-browns-colts-radio-125110397--nfl.html

wow.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Actually its the Bills fans are the ones going crazy about it. The Browns fan on here thinks it was a good move.

Looks like some NFL analysts like the move from the Browns standpoint too. As well as some NFL execs and GMs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23721420/a-firstround-pick-for-trent-richardson-nobrainer-for-browns

One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

I was in contact with a few team sources who had running backs on their roster who are expendable, and all said they never got a call from the Colts to explore what it would take to get their guys. "I wish I had [called the Colts]," one noted, "especially after seeing this trade."

TedMock
09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I do not believe that they are tanking the season, as has been suggested. They still have a lot of talent on defense. They have an all-pro LT, some good young receiving talent in Josh Gordon and the TE, Cameron.

Trent Richardson is very good, so this is absolutely a very gutsy move.

They are either trying to stockpile picks, or they are going to package two firsts in anticipation of one of the QB's separating themselves from the pack before the season ends. They probably feel that a power back like Richardson is a luxury as opposed to a required piece of what they are trying to build offensively.

New owner, new GM, new coach in Cleveland. They can get away with this type of move right now and hope it works out.

Indy, on the other hand, has most things in place from a skilled position perspective except that quality grinder. Great fit for Richardson. He is actually the missing piece for them.

justasportsfan
09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

McGahee worked out for the New York Giants last week, but they passed him over for Brandon Jacobs.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
McGahee worked out for the New York Giants last week, but they passed him over for Brandon Jacobs.

Obvious reasons why if Jacobs and McGahee are about equal, you take the back you have familiarity with.

Jacobs was there for years. No brainer.

justasportsfan
09-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Pretty sure the browns organization didn't see Richardson as a fit with what they are trying to do. Only time will tell what it is they are trying to do will work.

justasportsfan
09-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Obvious reasons why if Jacobs and McGahee are about equal, you take the back you have familiarity with.

Jacobs was there for years. No brainer.

Willis is also coming from an injury. I just don't understand whoever it is you quoted would think how Willis is in the same league as Richardson and would question why the colts didn't grab Willis.

trapezeus
09-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks like some NFL analysts like the move from the Browns standpoint too. As well as some NFL execs and GMs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23721420/a-firstround-pick-for-trent-richardson-nobrainer-for-browns

so tashard choice could have gotten us a 2nd rounder?

Mr. Pink
09-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Willis is also coming from an injury. I just don't understand whoever it is you quoted would think how Willis is in the same league as Richardson and would question why the colts didn't grab Willis.

It just goes to show that most NFL teams and front offices don't value running backs as first round picks anymore. It's a passing league now not a running league.

TRich has like 2 20+ runs in 17 NFL games. Averages 3.5ypc. Had a host of injuries in his rookie year plus has a bad knee that also hobbled him at Alabama. How is that worth a first round pick?

That's why I think the Browns fleeced the Colts in the trade, take the name out and number 33 for the Browns put up some very pedestrian numbers. How is he better, let alone SO MUCH BETTER, that he warranted dumping a 1st round pick as opposed to just signing a FA?

IlluminatusUIUC
09-19-2013, 04:13 PM
It just goes to show that most NFL teams and front offices don't value running backs as first round picks anymore. It's a passing league now not a running league.

TRich has like 2 20+ runs in 17 NFL games. Averages 3.5ypc. Had a host of injuries in his rookie year plus has a bad knee that also hobbled him at Alabama. How is that worth a first round pick?

That's why I think the Browns fleeced the Colts in the trade, take the name out and number 33 for the Browns put up some very pedestrian numbers. How is he better, let alone SO MUCH BETTER, that he warranted dumping a 1st round pick as opposed to just signing a FA?

The Colts think they can compete this year. Not in 2014. Right now. Richardson is better than any of the FAs available.

The Popcorn
09-19-2013, 04:14 PM
I was shocked by this trade. I can only imagine that they'll trade Weeden when he gets healthy too. Start all over again.

Novacane
09-19-2013, 04:25 PM
The browns really blow

Wow. That's bull****!

- - - Updated - - -

I was shocked by this trade. I can only imagine that they'll trade Weeden when he gets healthy too. Start all over again.

For what?

Fixxxer
09-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Mr Pink?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyI98FyaZo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwNvdtSQfkljyW_FT-BNZWA

BillsFever21
09-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Just to summarize... after Richardson was selected, the Browns owner found out he may be facing financial ruin.

It's probably the major reason driving this, on top of Irsay overpaying.

This move isn't about money since they have already paid him over 13 million dollars after giving him his signing bonus. If that was the case then they would've kept him after already paying about 75% of his contract. He was only owed between 6-7 million dollars through 2015. After they pay someone like McGahee the veteran minimum for this year that will cost them another 800k+. Then with the extra draft pick in the first round they will be spending more then they would've owed Richardson through 2015.

They made this move because the obviously didn't like his long term future and they had a chance to get a first and 4th round pick back in return for him. This wasn't the administration or coach that drafted him or Weeden. They will obviously have a top 5 draft pick and can draft a QB with that one. If need be they have plenty of draft picks to move up and get the guy they really want. Most likely they will have at least a top 3 draft pick and could either get a QB or Clowney depending on how the draft shakes out.

This just shows how bad their management has been when both of their first round picks from the 2012 draft will be gone or no longer starting after this season. In a loaded 2012 draft they ended up walking away without anybody in the first round just 18 games later when it was all said and done. Drafting Weeden was crazy in the first place. Who wants a 28 year old rookie as their first round pick? It reminded me of Chris Weinke all over again. They could have just stood pat and took Tannehill and Doug Martin with them draft picks and saved the 4th and 7th they traded to move up one spot in the draft and had a great RB and a possible QB of the future already on the roster.

Mike
09-19-2013, 05:00 PM
First the Colts go from Manning to Luck. Now, they are gift wrapped Richardson. Starting to hate that team.

No clue what Cleveland is thinking.

Why? They are making things happen. I recall asking in 2012 who would you rather be Colts or Bills and nearly everyone chose the Bills. Lol...

Mr. Pink
09-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Mr Pink?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyI98FyaZo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwNvdtSQfkljyW_FT-BNZWA

:rofl:

Not me but that first minute is spot on.

A good article with some pics that shows TRich's lack of vision and the main reason why he only has a 3.5ypc that has NOTHING to do with the offensive line and why he won't do any better in Indy.

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/06/browns-film-room-trent-richardson/

justasportsfan
09-20-2013, 07:30 AM

most? Indy just gave up a first rd. pick. If you ask me, so far the colts have better brains than the browns as of late.

JoeMama
09-20-2013, 08:10 AM

I like your analysis of Trent Richardson.

He's a guy I have no faith in but I drafted him in the 2nd round of my PPR fantasy league due to the perception of "value" (50+ receptions). I'm hating that pick now.

He does seem a bit dull in finding lanes. And his YPC is pathetic. Even if the Browns were stupid to unload him, it's not like he was producing. He's a middling talent. I laughed when Cleveland traded up for him, it's not a running league anymore in the NFL.

Maybe he'll be okay in Indy but I doubt it happens anytime soon.

Night Train
09-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Indy has a top shelf QB, excellent WR's and a crying need at RB. It made sense to gamble. They can make up the loss of the 1st round pick in Free Agency.

JoeMama
09-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Indy has a top shelf QB, excellent WR's and a crying need at RB. It made sense to gamble. They can make up the loss of the 1st round pick in Free Agency.

It's probably going to be a pick in the late 20s too.

I think Cleveland is hedging their bets on trading up to the first spot if they don't make it there themselves (Jaguars may beat them).

They want a franchise QB. It's not Brandon Weeden and I think they know that.

stuckincincy
09-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Absolutely - make that trade if you think that extra #1 gives you the muscle to make the moves needed to get the qb of your dreams.

And you get him on the cheap. Vet player greed killed the rookie contracts, now they cry about how most FAs aren't flashed the big cash. The NFLPA committed a classic union negotiation mistake - in this case, not understanding that escalating rookie contracts raised the bar for all contracts. Idiots. And in the face of the (successful) negotiations for rising caps... What I do, if I owned a team, is to spread that cap rise around, to keep my lower-cost roster, good ST players and the like, non-"stars" that might become a big noise.

I'm so-so on Richardson. CLE games are division games where I live, so I've seen him several times. However, he will help that club. Enough to to be a question mark facing IND's opposition.

better days
09-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I do not believe that they are tanking the season, as has been suggested. They still have a lot of talent on defense. They have an all-pro LT, some good young receiving talent in Josh Gordon and the TE, Cameron.

Trent Richardson is very good, so this is absolutely a very gutsy move.

They are either trying to stockpile picks, or they are going to package two firsts in anticipation of one of the QB's separating themselves from the pack before the season ends. They probably feel that a power back like Richardson is a luxury as opposed to a required piece of what they are trying to build offensively.

New owner, new GM, new coach in Cleveland. They can get away with this type of move right now and hope it works out.

Indy, on the other hand, has most things in place from a skilled position perspective except that quality grinder. Great fit for Richardson. He is actually the missing piece for them.

Of course the Browns are tanking the Season. They have NO QB. When you have a Mediocre QB, & you take away a weapon like Richardson you can't expect to win.

Stevie Johnson was on NFL Network with a Giants DB. He said to Stevie "If the Bills traded CJ, you would be asking to be traded too." Stevie laughed.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Of course the Browns are tanking the Season. They have NO QB. When you have a Mediocre QB, & you take away a weapon like Richardson you can't expect to win.

Stevie Johnson was on NFL Network with a Giants DB. He said to Stevie "If the Bills traded CJ, you would be asking to be traded too." Stevie laughed.

They weren't winning with TRich.

Why are some people overvaluing a guy who produces 3.5ypc?

justasportsfan
09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I can see where both teams are coming from. Rather than wait and develop a rb from next years draft, maybe the colts think they should just fill the rb now with a rb that they think can compliment Luck and start winning now.

Browns would rather start all over again and stockpile picks with a rb who doesn't fit the mold of the new owner and coach.

Only time will tell who gained from this .

jdaltroy5
09-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Why are some people overvaluing a guy who produces 3.5ypc?Because the rest of his stats are pretty good, he's only 22 years old, and he was the third overall pick last year.

starrymessenger
09-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Because the rest of his stats are pretty good, he's only 22 years old, and he was the third overall pick last year.
Yeah the Browns gave up three picks to move ahead of a team with Adrian Peterson to pick a running back at # 3. Then they pick an already old career backup QB at # 22. Brilliant!
Mike Holmgren is criminally stupid. Pity the poor Browns fans.
This was prolly a good move for them, although no guarantee they will get their guy. If they have targeted Bridgewater he might not even declare.

BillsFever21
09-20-2013, 09:27 PM
most? Indy just gave up a first rd. pick. If you ask me, so far the colts have better brains than the browns as of late.

That's one team out of 32 that wants to better their chances of contending in their division and in the playoffs this season.. The majority of teams don't value RB's in the first round anymore unless they are very talented and can be an every down RB. Unless it's somebody an NFL team feels is a special talent then you don't see them drafted in the top 10 very much. Maybe towards the end of the first round is when teams will start looking at them if they have a big need for one. Most teams won't reach for them like they used to.

A RB platoon is what most teams do nowadays and it's more of a passing league. There is a reason why the first RB in the 2013 draft wasn't selected until #37 and in 2012 outside of Richardson the next RB wasn't selected until #31. In 2011 there was only 1 RB selected in the first round and that wasn't until the #28 pick. So basically in the past three drafts there have only been 4 RB's selected in the first round and only one of them was in the top 5 or even top 10.

It's been too easy for teams to find RB's in the 2nd round and even much later with the way the game is played today. There aren't too many teams that are fairly balanced anymore and most teams are using the platoons. You can make the playoffs nowadays without a good running game but you don't have a shot without a good passing game. Teams are hoping to at least have a reliable running game to keep defenses honest but it doesn't need to be dominant anymore with the new rules.

Whether that's the right or wrong strategy is a different topic. Myself I would rather have a balanced attack but most teams don't anymore. I don't believe in drafting RB's in the top 10 unless they are a special talent that can carry the rock 300 times a year and be a huge game changer. Many teams are finding reliable running backs in any round and that's why their draft value is going down.

BillsFever21
09-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Because the rest of his stats are pretty good, he's only 22 years old, and he was the third overall pick last year.

The draft position of a player doesn't mean much after the fact. Teams aren't going to give up a higher draft pick for a player they want just because the other team drafted him too high. Most of the guys selected in the first round last year couldn't net a first round pick in return this year.

It was a good trade for both teams. Indy needs somebody now and will get him cheap for the next few years and the Browns are in such bad shape that a RB like Richardson isn't going to matter in the long run. They can use one of their 1st round picks next year on a QB(probably their higher pick) and then get somebody at a more important position with the other one. They can pick up a RB in the 3rd round next season or sign one in free agency.

Mace
09-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I almost feel bad for Cleveland because we're almost always Cleveland too, but I don't think we are anymore so I laugh at them instead for hiring Mike Lombardi like we hired Marv Levy to sort of be a GM but not really, Chudzinski like we hired Mularkey, Weeden like we had Trent Edwards, and being Owned by Haslam like the Sabres were owned by John Rigas, if in a different sport.

Richardson will surely light the league up now, and they will use the pick inexplicably to gain nothing whatever. They can't help it. But I'm glad they're flailing around and not us at the moment, because that Buffalo-Cleveland (Jauron vs. Mangini, 6-3 Cleveland in 2009) game was the worst I ever saw and I hate them for it like it was all their fault. I still wake up screaming like it was yesterday.

jdaltroy5
09-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah the Browns gave up three picks to move ahead of a team with Adrian Peterson to pick a running back at # 3. Then they pick an already old career backup QB at # 22. Brilliant!
This was prolly a good move for them, although no guarantee they will get their guy. If they have targeted Bridgewater he might not even declare.
I'm not saying that Holmgren is a good GM or that it was a good idea to trade up for him.

But the fact of the matter is that he was still a top 5 talent 18 months ago and had very good stats for a rookie.

swiper
09-21-2013, 04:21 PM

It may have caught everybody off-guard, but it's not surprising. He was their best bargaining chip and RBs are easy to replace. They are desperate for a QB.

swiper
09-21-2013, 04:23 PM

And Holmgren has the nerve to verbally attack them for the move. He's horrible.

swiper
09-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying that Holmgren is a good GM or that it was a good idea to trade up for him.

But the fact of the matter is that he was still a top 5 talent 18 months ago and had very good stats for a rookie.

This is an example of a team actually pulling the trigger while a player still has great value. Not waiting, and waiting, and waiting then taking a 4th round pick.

jdaltroy5
09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
The draft position of a player doesn't mean much after the fact. Teams aren't going to give up a higher draft pick for a player they want just because the other team drafted him too high. Most of the guys selected in the first round last year couldn't net a first round pick in return this year.I'm not saying that they are worth the same. I'm saying that he was a top 3 talent 18 months ago. That's why people are "overvaluing" him.

It was a good trade for both teams. Indy needs somebody now and will get him cheap for the next few years and the Browns are in such bad shape that a RB like Richardson isn't going to matter in the long run. They can use one of their 1st round picks next year on a QB(probably their higher pick) and then get somebody at a more important position with the other one. They can pick up a RB in the 3rd round next season or sign one in free agency.I don't think the Browns are in that bad of shape actually. They have a decent OL and some pieces on defense. I think it would've been smarter for them to draft a QB in the first next year and then rely on their defense and run game similar to what San Fran and Seattle have done recently. Their QBs ended up playing really well, but there wasn't as much pressure on them since they had a solid D and run game.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an example of a team actually pulling the trigger while a player still has great value. Not waiting, and waiting, and waiting then taking a 4th round pick.He still has great value because he's a valuable player.

BuffaloRedleg
09-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Again, a lot of these arguments are missing the point. Trent is a beast no doubt about that, but even Peterson can't will a team to a superbowl. Browns will use this pick to move up (if they don't have the 1st pick already) and they can have their elite franchise QB next year. That's great management who acknowledges the only position that matters in this broken sport that I can't get enough of.

kishoph
09-22-2013, 05:40 AM

The kid has talent, Spiller averaged 3.8 his rookie year. I can't say I blame the Browns for getting rid of him, because you can't win with just a RB, they need much more. I also can't fault the Colts for taking him, they're set at QB and getting a RB with Richardson's potential could turn out to be a great move for their offense, If Richardson does turn out for the Colts, it would be like spending a later 1st round pick for him. I'm guessing that the pick will be in the 20's, it's not like it's going to be a top 5 pick.

justasportsfan
09-22-2013, 07:24 AM

browns weren't winning with TRich because Weeden was throwing 4.0 int's per game?

Novacane
09-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Mr Pink?

That guys hilarious. The Browns sure are lucky Indy didn't watch this video before Richardson took his physical!

Mr. Pink
09-22-2013, 01:56 PM
browns weren't winning with TRich because Weeden was throwing 4.0 int's per game?

3.5ypc and ZERO vision.

Christian Ponder sucks yet Minnesota can still win and All Day can run.

You'll see as the year goes on and TRich's numbers don't get really considerably better in Indy as will a bunch of Browns fans who think it's the worst trade ever and TRich was some kind of stud.

If he was here in Buffalo, he'd be third string. And no I'm not joking.

jdaltroy5
09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Again, a lot of these arguments are missing the point. Trent is a beast no doubt about that, but even Peterson can't will a team to a superbowl. Browns will use this pick to move up (if they don't have the 1st pick already) and they can have their elite franchise QB next year. That's great management who acknowledges the only position that matters in this broken sport that I can't get enough of.I don't think it's a good idea to plan on trading ahead to get a franchise QB.

Most teams at the top of the draft need a QB and if there's a franchise one available, they probably won't trade out.

Mr. Pink
09-22-2013, 09:16 PM
TRich couldn't even replicate his awesome numbers in Cleveland today while Ahmad Bradshaw was running for over 5ypc.

Great trade by Indy. :rofl:

TRich is a word that starts with a B and ends with a T and it ain't "Beast"

IlluminatusUIUC
09-22-2013, 09:48 PM
He joined the team literally 72 hours ago and scored a TD on one of the toughest defenses in the league. Jesus christ, at least give the guy a week of practices with his team before you crucify him.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Just bumping this up...

20 carries for 60 yards against the Jags.

6 carries for 2 yards so far today.

:rofl:

streetkings01
10-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Alabama running backs are terrible.........running behind a great oline and scheme has made these average backs look elite.

JoeMama
10-06-2013, 08:16 PM
What a bum.

BillsFever21
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Alabama running backs are terrible.........running behind a great oline and scheme has made these average backs look elite.

We'll see if Eddy Lacy can break the trend. After Ingram and Richardson they are nothing but overrated RB's that hasn't produced in the NFL. It might not bode too well for Yelton when he comes out.

CleveSteve
10-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Good call, Pink. Way to stick your neck out.

JoeMama
10-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Joining the Colts wasn't the boon everyone here said it would be.

In fact he somehow found a way to get EVEN worse.

The guy's not worth a roster spot in most fantasy leagues. Even deep ones.

I laughed when the Browns traded up to draft him. Now I remember why.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Joining the Colts wasn't the boon everyone here said it would be.

In fact he somehow found a way to get EVEN worse.

The guy's not worth a roster spot in most fantasy leagues. Even deep ones.

I laughed when the Browns traded up to draft him. Now I remember why.

His yards per carry are down in Indy, yards per game are down, carries are about even, catches are down, yards per catch are down. I won't how Indy feels about that trade now?

IlluminatusUIUC
10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah he looks awful. Indy might be able to get some more production with their bye week coming up, but at least for their sake they are winning in spite of him.

jdaltroy5
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Yep, he looks awful up to this point.

CleveSteve
10-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Maybe they can trade him to the Browns for a 5th or a 6th? They could use a new running back.

The Jokeman
10-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Maybe they can trade him to the Browns for a 5th or a 6th? They could use a new running back.

Just give the Bills this offseason, we'll trade CJ to the Browns for a 4th rounder and use a 1st on Ka'Deem Carey.

Thunderkyss
10-26-2013, 03:23 AM

If only there were a great oline & scheme in the NFL..... hmmmmm.