• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

Bill's rookies played more snaps than those of any other team

Rookies giving Bills a big boost

When three rookies trot out as opening-day starters for an NFL team, the reactions can vary wildly.Anything from "Wow, look at all that young talent!

When three rookies trot out as opening-day starters for an NFL team, the reactions can vary wildly.

Anything from "Wow, look at all that young talent!" to "Yikes, they didn't have anyone else, huh?" might capture the situation accurately.

So when ESPN Insider Mike Sando tweeted earlier this week that Buffalo Bills' 2013 draft picks have played more snaps through two games than those of any other team, it was worth pondering where the Bills fell on that spectrum....

Of those league-leading 440 snaps, the vast majority has gone to three players, who were also the team's top three selections in April's draft: quarterback EJ Manuel, receiver Robert Woods and linebacker Kiko Alonso.

It's true that the Bills entered the draft with holes at all three of those positions, so entering training camp, the top three picks were all favored to start or at least see significant time.

Even so, this much has been clear: All have earned their jobs. Manuel would have won the starting job with or without Kevin Kolb suffering a season-ending concussion. Woods outplayed T.J. Graham throughout the preseason. And the task of manning the middle of the Bills' defense never seemed too big for Alonso.

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • jdaltroy5
    • Aug 2012

Re: Bill's rookies played more snaps than those of any other team

Is it weird that I'm more excited about Alonso than the other rookies?

It's not that I don't like the other guys, but I just like a badass MLB that gets sacks and turnovers.

Comment

• JoeMama
      Emotion Sickness
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post

It's not that I don't like the other guys, but I just like a badass MLB that gets sacks and turnovers.
      How relieving is it to see Alonso out there instead of Sheppard?

That one change alone has made a huge difference for this D.
      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

My biggest fear was hiring a retread coach bringing in patchwork Vets that get you 6-7 wins max and never get better. We've been doing that for way too many years.

I have no idea how this will all look in 3-4 years but i like our current plan. You have to try something different and all reports say the players do like Marrone and the plan.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post

I think Kiko played at least as well as Luke Kuechly in that last game.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Part of that reason is the fact the offense is running the most snaps in the NFL too.

So it goes hand in hand.

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

I'll save the usual suspects some time and respond for them. Playing this many rookies isn't a good thing. It just means they didn't have any talent.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                Part of that reason is the fact the offense is running the most snaps in the NFL too.

So it goes hand in hand.
                Well, Kiko is on the field all day for the Bills defense. He factors in as well.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  I think Kiko played at least as well as Luke Kuechly in that last game.
                  Hard for me to tell as I didn't watch the game. I was listening to it on the radio because I was re-tiling the front porch.

From the highlights I've seen, he definitely played better than Kuechly.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    Well, Kiko is on the field all day for the Bills defense. He factors in as well.
                    I'm just saying any team that fields a rookie QB is gonna run near the top of this category.

I'm sure Washington and Cleveland were near the top last year. One side of the coin is good the other side not so much.

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

So it goes hand in hand.
                      That's not true.
                      Our defense has the most snaps. Our offense hasn't kept pace.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                        That's not true.
                        Our defense has the most snaps. Our offense hasn't kept pace.
                        The Bills have run the 11th most plays per game this year so far.

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                          How relieving is it to see Alonso out there instead of Sheppard?

That one change alone has made a huge difference for this D.
                          Barnett too... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X