Is it too soon to say I miss Chan Gailey's Offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Is it too soon to say I miss Chan Gailey's Offense?

I like Marrone, I like Pettine. Hackett has a lot to prove to me right now. I liked Chan's spread system giving the backs space and letting Stevie get to his spot the best way he knew. We kept the passes short because of Fitz.

I never liked Manuel but I hope he proves me wrong, maybe Hackett is holding back some things but everyone says he's not.

The Bills have not turned the corner though. Last week our bi-polar fanbase was riding a fictional high caused by the ineptitude of Ron Rivera and Mike Shula, and a gift from Luke Kuechly.
    Last edited by Mouldsie; 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM.
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: Is it too soon to say I miss Chan Gailey's Offense?

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
    I like Marrone, I like Pettine. Hackett has a lot to prove to me right now. I liked Chan's spread system giving the backs space and letting Stevie get to his spot the best way he knew. We kept the passes short because of Fitz.

I never liked Manuel but I hope he proves me wrong, maybe Hackett is holding back some things but everyone says he's not.

The Bills have not turned the corner though. Last week our bi-polar fanbase was riding a fictional high caused by the ineptitude of Ron Rivera and Mike Shula, and a gift from Luke Kuechly.
    Its sad to say but I said it earlier

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Hell no I don't miss that bum. I just wish we had hired an experienced OC. Hacketts offense is boring has hell.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Miss the run/screen game, that's about it though.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
          • Mar 2004

Yea his play calling is suspect to say the least. But I miss nothing from the CG era. Although spiller looks very avg in this system.

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Chan got a lot out of an offense with a serious talent deficit. I had a few problems with him as an OC, but he overachieved (as an OC). This offense has less talent, our QB is worse, our line is much worse, and our WRs are probably a little worse too. By season's end, hopefully two those things won't be true anymore, but there is no way this OL can produce a credible run game against a decent D, and now it can barely protect the QB too.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

I like the no huddle. Its just that the execution sucks. Our Qb is playing scared. Makes Trentative look like a gunslinger
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Where are the screens we were good at last year? This option offense sucks. Especially with a QB that doesn't take the ball on the option. Its on option with one option? Not hard to figure out.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                  Where are the screens we were good at last year? This option offense sucks. Especially with a QB that doesn't take the ball on the option. Its on option with one option? Not hard to figure out.
                  TBH I liked the read option as a concept but Manuel is a TERRIBLE runner. He has no vision and can't make anyone miss. Now, ordinarily the D likes it when a bad runner has the ball so they commit to the good runner (Jackson/Spiller)... and yet EJ hands it off anyway.

Just tear it up if you aren't going to run it right.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                    Chan got a lot out of an offense with a serious talent deficit. I had a few problems with him as an OC, but he overachieved (as an OC). This offense has less talent, our QB is worse, our line is much worse, and our WRs are probably a little worse too. By season's end, hopefully two those things won't be true anymore, but there is no way this OL can produce a credible run game against a decent D, and now it can barely protect the QB too.
                    The OL is what it is..its going to give a little over 2 seconds to throw, but that's it. Maybe less now without Levitre.

But remember when CJ was ripping off big runs.and the year before that, Jackson?

And how everyone would talk about how big the hole was, even if it was inside?

So much of that had to do with the play calling. He could get the defense flowing one way, just to run a counter and have the RB out in the open field with no one except Cordy Glenn leading the way.

One of the few times I saw the defense actually fooled today was the Chandler TD, where 2 people were blitzing from the left, and they just had Chandler release 10 yards downfield.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was an audible.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

hell yeah i miss chans offense. he made that unit much better right from the get-go. pretty much like pettine has done with this defense. wish we had chan as the oc right now in fact
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Crisis
                        • Aug 2004

The one thing Chan Gailey knew how to do was utilize Spiller correctly. Have we even made an attempt to get him the ball in space?
                        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                        Vanek is Austrian not European
                        Originally posted by Prov401
                        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                        Originally posted by better days
                        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Tiburon1724
                          • Sep 2005

Hackett needs to be fired. Premature? No. It's been 14 years since the playoffs. Sorry, short leash here. He's a, well, hack. Crappy college OC. Marrone was a questionable hire but Hackett??? come on. Bring back Chan as OC for all I care.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                            • Aug 2013

I didn't even read your response. Jesus christ. God. Moses. Allah. Buddah. nooooooooooooo

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                              The OL is what it is..its going to give a little over 2 seconds to throw, but that's it. Maybe less now without Levitre.

But remember when CJ was ripping off big runs.and the year before that, Jackson?

And how everyone would talk about how big the hole was, even if it was inside?

So much of that had to do with the play calling. He could get the defense flowing one way, just to run a counter and have the RB out in the open field with no one except Cordy Glenn leading the way.

One of the few times I saw the defense actually fooled today was the Chandler TD, where 2 people were blitzing from the left, and they just had Chandler release 10 yards downfield.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was an audible.
                              I argued that our Oline was protected by Chan's system and I think that's really showing now. We can't run for tough yards, and we can't protect for the deep ball. Chan's spread opened lanes for the running game and made it nearly impossible to get to the QB before he threw it. Yesterday's offense looked like a return of Joe Pendry's "run into the oline and fall down until you give up the running game and then get sacked every play" offense. Not pretty.

Chan wasn't a good headcoach, but he's the best OC we've had since Gilbride.

Comment

Working...
                              X